Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Michigan to Raise Minimum Wage (Read 12155 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Michigan to Raise Minimum Wage
Mar 10th, 2006 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Not that I am against people working and making money, but Michigan is last in the nation in terms of statewide economics and we can't afford this.  This is only happening because the republicans are afraid of election year politics.

Quote:
Minimum wage might rise
Friday, March 10, 2006
PAUL WYCHE
THE SAGINAW NEWS

Burger flippers, sales clerks and others who scrape by on minimum wage have hope.

Michigan workers will receive a raise of $1.80 an hour in October -- boosting their salaries to $6.95 an hour under legislation the state Senate passed unanimously Thursday.

The pay will rise gradually to $7.40 an hour by July 2008. The House next week likely will approve the plan, and Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm said she'll sign it.

Rite Aid cashier Ok Fairbanks said she is glad to hear it.

"That's wonderful," said Fairbanks, who has worked at the pharmacy at West Genesee and North Michigan for nearly four years.

"It's about time (lawmakers) did something. This is great; now I just have to wait for the raise."

Just last month, unions and other activists throughout the state launched the Michigan Needs a Raise coalition, aimed at increasing the hourly wage to $6.85.

They got a dime more than they lobbied for, but some critics of the boost say it has more to do with politics than creating a fair wage.

The Michigan Needs campaign would have united thousands of Democrats, possibly driving up the number of voters at the polls in November -- a scenario Republicans fear. So, upping the minimum wage before the fall election made political sense to the GOP.

Senate Majority Leader Ken Sikkema, a Wyoming Republican, said as much.
"It's a factor in the decision making," he said, referring to the Michigan Needs effort. "There's no question about it."

Gary Fahndrich, chairman of the Independent Business Association of Saginaw County and owner of West Side Decorating Center Inc., 3505 State in Saginaw, said there are two sides to the minimum wage debate.

"I understand it from both standpoints," he said.

"On the one hand, people say it's long overdue, but for the businessman it's going to be another expense that will probably have to get passed on to the consumer."

Some business groups long opposed to minimum-wage hikes reluctantly supported the Senate's action, arguing that it is better than the ballot proposal. But they aren't happy about it.

"We understand that (Republicans) are trying to make a bad situation better," said Charles Owens, state director of the National Federation of Independent Business.

Rob Fowler, head of the Small Business Association of Michigan, said, however, that his group remained "unalterably opposed to a mandated minimum-wage increase." He said raising wage costs for small employers makes it more expensive to offer entry-level jobs to low-skilled workers.

Even so, the Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now -- ACORN -- said it will continue fighting for low income individuals. The group plans to establish an office in Saginaw next month. It has branches in Lansing, Detroit and Flint.

"We are happy about the minimum wage, but there are a lot of other issues here, like vacant houses," said Jarone Nash, head organizer for the reform group, which has a temporary office at the Service Employees International Union building, 1420 S. Michigan in Saginaw.

"The minimum wage increase is good, though, because it's been nine years since we've had it raised, but we still have a lot of hard-working people living below the poverty line."

Michigan's $5.15-per-hour minimum wage is the same as the federal government's. Seventeen states and the District of Columbia have higher minimum wages.

"We have repeatedly called for an increase in the state's minimum wage, and (now) we are one step closer to raising the wages paid to tens of thousands of workers in this state," Granholm said.

The state of Michigan is broke, and Granholm thinks this is going to bring in more tax dollars.  She just wants to get elected again. 

Raising the minimum wage is a joke.  It's obvious the people that propose raising it dont know a thing about economics.  This will not eliminate poverty. There is no wage that you can arbitrarily pay someone that will eliminate poverty. All it means is that everything else will become more expensive.  The only results of this decision are increased inflation and the exodus of blue collar jobs here in Michigan.

Business owners don't have unlimited supplies of money to pay their workers, and when the minimum wage goes up the affected workers don't magically become more productive. Therefore, the manufacturer will either have to make more money by raising prices or spend less money by eliminating jobs, cutting back on hours, moving to another state, outsourcing, or closing altogether.

-b0b
(...thinks he should run for Senator.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Re: Michigan to Raise Minimum Wage
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
Shit like this is why I hate MI.

Come to Colorado, beautiful scenic mountain view Colorado.....come!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
If you get me a job in my field with a comparable salary (adjusted for local cost of living) and I'll be on a plane in two weeks.

-b0b
(...is only sorta kidding.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 12:35am
Print Post  
b0b If I had your experience I'd be fucking rich.  You know how many military jobs out here want 3-4 years of Networking Experience?  Fucking Space Command is hiring almost 24-7.....and no I'm not kidding.

Check out colorado springs jobs...I can't remember the website but if you Google it it's pretty easy to find.  In fact I think it might be www.springsjobs.com.

But yeah, this place is pretty pimp for that sort of thing.  Intel and MCI (Or some sort) are headquartered here.

Plus its SOOOO much better than Michigan....and if your looking for Church related activites just check out New Life Church.....like 40 billion members, they have shit going on 24-7....and I'm not kidding there.  And the World Prayer Center there is pretty nice too.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 1:18am
Print Post  
not alot of animation jobs out there... sadness

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:36am
Print Post  
Do they need any cops out there?!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah the police station is always looking for cops....and fire fighters, seems we get a lot of forest fires and stuff up in the mountains.  My friend works at the dispatch center and he tells me they are always bringing in newbie cops and training them there heh.

The cost of living here is pretty good too.  The size apartment me and b0b had in Chicago would only be 500 or so here, not 900....and you can get 2 bedroom houses with a garage (I looked into it) for around 800 if you have good credit.

I just hope you guys move away from MI in the future....sometimes I wonder if you guys realize how much of a shit hole that place really is Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
If there's one thing you don't have to worry about Wes...I how much of a heck hole I know MI is...esp. TR.  BTW, looking for any roommates coming up?  He he.  Wouldn't it be great to get the geek crew back together and living together!  Yikes!

X

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Me and Ben just signed our 6 month lease Friday actually, so I'm kinda set in that legally Smiley

But the 1 bedrooms and flats here in my apartment complex are like 400 or something (1 bedrooms are usually only slightly less than 2 bedrooms....hence the reason so many people have roomates heh).  We could LAN it up again!

I don't think the world could handle all the geeks reuniting though....we might do something insane.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Hmm, im definetly going to have to look into that area. We went through Colorado Springs and Denver on our trip out west a while back, nice places.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
Aye, I'm of the opinion that its one of the most beautiful places you could live in the US.

I mean I wake up to go to work at 8, walk outside and I see clouds rolling down the sides of the mountains, and Pikes Peak soaring above the tops.  Quite inspiring really.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
That was almost poetic.

...I smell a roadtrip!

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Wes, you forgot to mention that you have the Stargate program in your own back yard!

Shelnock Cree!

X

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
I die free! - Jaffa Death Oath

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #14 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 10:36pm
Print Post  
You guys are nerds.

...Comtraya!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint