Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Random Religion Thread (Read 8010 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Random Religion Thread
Mar 12th, 2006 at 2:18am
Print Post  
I see lots of discussion going on on the matter and thought that a thread could be made.

Personally I would like to hear opinions on speaking in tongues. Does God anoint Christians with this ability the closer they get to Him?
I have heard people I love and respect speaking in tongues during deep prayer and meditation.

Any thoughts?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Random Religion Thread
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 3:57am
Print Post  
This is a good question, Briney.

Speaking in tounges was once used in the early days of the church.

Act 2:4  And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

This was during a time where many people didn't study other people's languages.  Greek and Hebrew was thought to be all that was needed for the converted Jew.

However Paul speaks out against speaking in tounges.

1Co 14:22  So that tongues are not a sign to those believing, but to those not believing. But prophecy is not to those not believing, but to those believing.
1Co 14:23  Then if the whole assembly comes together, and all speak in tongues, and uninstructed ones or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you rave?

In fact only the only people today that speak in tounges are more on the fringe of the charismatic church.  A "church" that is founded more on money than on anything of God.

After the early days of the church, no one spoke in tongues.  Until the 60's and 70's charismatic churches began to spring up.

1Co 13:8  Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

Paul says that people of the later church will not speak in tounges.

1Co 14:27  If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

Here Paul is saying that speaking in tongues really helps no one because many people will not understand what that person is saying.

There are many many many Scripture passages talking about how good speaking in tonges WAS.  Sometimes it was a gift, or fruit, of the Spirit.  But in later passages Paul says that the later church will not prophesizes or speak in tongues.  Therefore the people that do it today are a) deceiving themselves and b) not following Scripture.

"I have heard people I love and respect speaking in tongues during deep prayer and meditation."

Briney, I'd like to point you to one example of someone who we loved and respected who did something wrong.  Pastor John Booko and his use of the Koran and passage 9:11 to say that "an eagle would decend" on Iraq.  Just people people do it does not make it right.  The charismatic church, I view them as false prophets, work on people's emotions rather than on the faith and love to God.  A guy in a $10,000 suit in a crystal church touches a lame man's forehead and that man drops, more likely from seeing other people do it rather than from any true healing.  You must be careful of people like this.  Three passages remind me of these people:

Luk 18:10  Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
Luk 18:11  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
Luk 18:12  I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
Luk 18:13  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
Luk 18:14  I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

This one more for the flashiness and showing off rather than the "Well at least I don't..." view.

And

Mat 6:16  Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:17  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
Mat 6:18  That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

Here is more of the God does not want you to show other people your devotion of Him to get "puffed up".  But rather do it because of your love for Him.

Finally,

Mat 7:15  Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

These people are, for the most part, about the money.  Prayer rags (as bob can atest to), donations, the buying of expensive churches and cars.  These people who say "Lord Lord"  are they really serving him?  Jesus said, "Not everyone who calls upon me Lord Lord will enter into the kingdom of Heaven."

Finally I just want to make one more statement about speaking in tounges.  If you listen to the new age tongue speak, is it a real language?  That's what speaking in tongues did back in Corinth.  The "tongues" people speak today seem like toddler talk.  It always reminds me of baby talk.  Goo goo gah gah ooji boojie.  I just spoke in a tongue...give me money.

People might do this and sincerly believe they are speaking in tongues but a) that doesn't mean it's true, people can deceive themselves and b) tongue speak doesn't need to be used anymore.

X
(Think he got it correct....anything I missed or misrepresented or made unclear I would implore you to say so)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Why do I love Mat 7:15 so much?  Such a great passage.  It always comes to mind when I see the guys on TV asking you for "Two donations of 600 dollars"......thats a lot of money folks, and I think your "church" is big enough already.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 11:48am
Print Post  
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/4DB56785-CA49-462B-B8AE-6B8B102CC15F.htm

Quote:
Williams, head of a church that has no problem with Darwinian evolution, told the Guardian newspaper: "I think creationism is, in a sense, a kind of category mistake, as if the Bible were a theory, like other theories."

The archbishop's stance echoes that of the Roman Catholic Church, the world's largest single Christian denomination, which has weighed into the debate by praising a court decision in America that rejected the so-called intelligent design theory as non-scientific.

Thank you Catholicism!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2006 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
The Catholic church needs to stick with what it knows best, murdering people.

-b0b
(...fumes.)

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
There was an article about transgendered students in the State News a few days ago:

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=36827

And it just made me wonder...what is the Bible's opinion about such a lifestyle?

Is he displeased because they don't want to be who God created them to be?

Are intimate relations with the "opposite" sex considered homosexuality?

And so forth...

(I ponder a lot.)

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2006 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
I'm not really sure what the bibles stance on guys dressing as girls is...but if I had to guess I'd probably say its a NO.

As for homosexual intercourse, I think we are all well aware of their stance Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2006 at 11:42am
Print Post  
If someone wants to dress up like a member of the opposite sex, that's their call, but asking the school to provide special "gender neutral" restrooms is just retarded.  Anti-discrimination and facilitation are two different ballgames.

-b0b
(...should get free food because he's a big fat ass.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #8 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 2:37am
Print Post  
http://www.rr-bb.com/

It's a bit disconcerting to see so many Christians "wanting" to see so much destruction and death in the Middle east. I understand that certain things may fulfill prophecies, but ya dont have to cheer about it.

Not saying its everyone on that site, I just read way too many posts where people were "giddy" at the events unfolding...... as hundreds die.

I think some people forget we are to love our enemies as brothers and sisters and pray for them too.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #9 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 10:09am
Print Post  
That's really stupid.

I can't find the Scripture passage but I know it talks about not praying for the End Times to come because we want to see as many people come to Christ before those terrible days.  We can be excited that our Lord is coming back but we should never be "giddy" with death "But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death." (Proverbs 8:36).  I'm with ya on this topic Briney.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #10 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I'm pretty much going to agree with you boys on this one. I've been against this war from the get-go because I find it morally repugnant to kill other people as a form of retaliation and more disgusting that innocent people will die alongside just because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time without knowing it.

What is it to lead by example? Jesus did so--and was quite peaceful in his reported actions. It makes me sad to see fellow followers of the Christian way fall to such an evil as killing one another. Its the year 2006 and we cant even find peaceful ways of leading (since, after all, the USA is the supposed leader of the "free world) and cooperating? nonsense.

How is it, then, that are we going to change things? How do we, as Christians, encourage those around us who would wish such things on other people to become more loving and peaceful?

Its one thing to sit around and complain about others being this way and let them continue misrepresenting the Christian faith,---and that one thing is wrong.

So, how do we change this?

Cait
               (...and the coffee has kicked in!)

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #11 - Jul 17th, 2006 at 11:57am
Print Post  
"Even so, come, Lord Jesus." -Rev. 22:20

There are likely some fringe lunatics that are happy Israel is killing a bunch of people, but I think most people just see "Israel" and "war" in the headlines and instantly assume its part of some end time prophecy.  It isn't inherently evil on their part and they aren't necessarily excited about the death, destruction, and chaos, but they are simply equating a bad event (war) with a good ending (the second coming).

-b0b
(...could be wrong.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint