Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Another game review - X-Men 2 (Read 2856 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Another game review - X-Men 2
Aug 19th, 2006 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
Welp I just finished another game entitled "X-Men Legends 2 - Rise Of Apocalypse".  This was much, much longer than Prey was.  It took me about a week and a half to finish...which was definately very nice.  This game is a cross between a RPG and a fighting game.  It's definately how Dungeon Siege should have been set up.  You get to play a lot with a lot of characters both from the X-Men (Professor X's side) and The Brotherhood (Magneto's side).  All in the effort to thwart Apocalpyse and his dastardly plan.  The missions are long with quite a few save points and the ability to travel back to base.

The cut scenes are spectacular and the characters are wodnerfully done.  Patrick Stewart is the only actor to supply the voice to his character, which was definately nice.  The guy they got for Wolverine sounds like he did in the cartoon show, so that was a definately plus.  I played as mostly Wolverine but there are characters like Cyclops (if you want to play a pansy), Toad, Jean Grey, Bishop, Juggernaught, Collasus, etc.  You can change costumes on the characters as well.  Go for the movie look, the comic look, or an off take "updated, new and improved" look and costume.  Jean Grey, for instance, can be played in her movie costume or in her Phoneix costume (sorry guys you can't select her cartoon costume...I guess they figured it'd split her in two if she was fighting).  The characters' powers are well balanced, some are energy, some are might, some fly, some teleport (go Nightcrawler!).

The AI in the game is wonderful.  They team up, they run away, the use their powers.  The bosses are really hard at first and then you learn the tricks to fighting them.  Also there are a few puzzles in the game but red arrows and red X's mark the way.  A downfall is that if those guides weren't in there...I don't know how anyone, mutant or human, would know how to do them.

Some other characters make special appearences.  I'll just name IRONMAN and SHIELD headed by NICK FURRY, as just a couple of special guests.

Again, the cut scenes are great and the best one is the scene of Apocolypse nuking a part of NYC.

This game is long and intense and you get to interact and use a wide variety of characters.  The game play is long, which I love and i definately has replay ability.  You can also hone your skillz in the danger room!

Overall I would give this game an A-.  A downfall that I found was that in a lot of the missions you had to choose one path, but all three led to the same spot.  I didn't like that, cause then I would have to go back through all those just to kill enemies for the skill points.  The leveling up, choosing powers, and gear is hard but an AI option takes that out of your hands.  It was a little too indebpth for a non KOTOR game.  But it definately gave you a lot of options.

So if you get a chance and like what you read...pick the game up.

X
(The X stand for........something)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Re: Another game review - X-Men 2
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I've had this game since it came out on PC.  I should have let you copy it.  Anyway, Gambit was my character of choice because of his ability of increased speed(and I think he's cool).  I combined that with some great attacking equipment and he turned into a "huge tank".  Magneto and cyclops were good to have on your team because they would boost other character's abilities.

For those who don't know.. you get 4 people to go on your adventures and can change your team members at certain areas of the game.  Well if your team has certain members you may get a special bonus in certain areas like attack or defence.  There is a list out on the web somewhere of all combinations.  I really liked that aspect of the game.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Another game review - X-Men 2
Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
Right and if you have certain characters in your group when you meet someone in the game they interact with that character too.  Like if you have Storm selected, Beast will talk to her in the game, etc.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint