Normal Topic Fire! (Read 1146 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Fire!
Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:52am
Print Post  
I was taking a quick nap in the evening and woke up to my roommate peeking in to say "Just so you know, the fire alarms been going off for a while, and we might want to leave." I thought, wow that's what that annoying racket in my dream was. The window was open in the bedroom (we are leaving it open all winter to create a glorious icebox because sleeping in the cold is great) and I heard sirens coming from outside.

I looked out the window to see a fire truck in the driveway, and several more approaching from downtown.

By the time we got gathered and figured, hey lets go down, there were a couple more in the turnabout, and still some more coming.

I figured it was just a false alarm or something till I opened the door and smelled smoke in the hall. We started down the stairwell and there was a crowd of people on floor 13, looking down the hall. I peeked in, and the smell of smoke was pretty strong. And then a couple more floors down, when the firefighters started coming up and passing us, we decided to move faster. Man they were decked out in gear and carrying hoses and whatnot, going up 13 floors. Thats gotta suck. But it couldn't be something that bad, so we figured lets just go mill about for the fun of it.

Some trucks to the side.

It was fun to see everyone who lives in the building, theres about 400 apartments.

Firefighters leaving the building.

No idea what happened still, maybe a small fire? cooking fire? Meh, it was kinda strong though.
Pretty interesting night, back to work!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Fire!
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 2:52am
Print Post  
More often than not...fires are small.  Candle burning, cooking fire, even trash barrel fires are more common than a building or room on fire.  Keep us updated.  Did you power go out?  Why were you not carrying your computer?  I pray no one was hurt.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Please tell me you took your computer with you...?

-b0b
(...please?)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 10:09am
Print Post  
a hard drive with my work! if there were visible flames on 13, i probably would have turned around and gotten more. My roommate was about to run out of here with his 500 dollar printer, hehe

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 10:19am
Print Post  
You guys have renter's insurance, right?  Just in case?

It's dirt cheap.  It's probably a bit more expensive in D-Town, but I only pay ~$130 per year for my apartment, and it cost the same when I was renting the house.  I don't mind paying the equivalent of $11 per month for the peace of mind.

-b0b
(...needs to spend a couple hours taking pictures and writing down serial numbers.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 1:57am
Print Post  
Heh you'd be a fool to NOT have renters insurance....mine is basicaly free.

My insurance provider (State Farm), has a multiple insurance policy savings program.

In essence...to insure my Explorer it costs $127 a month.  If I add renters insurance (Which is considered a seperate policy), I pay $119 a month on my Explorer, and $7 a month on my apartment.

As you can see, I save $1 and have renters insurance.

I almost smacked myself when I found out =p

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2006 at 2:46am
Print Post  
Yes but instead to you went to Bill's house...Bill has a bull whip...it broke...twice.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint