Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Computer Questions (Read 72544 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Computer Questions
Reply #180 - Mar 6th, 2014 at 5:39am
Print Post  
Ok, let's say that I want to create a system where I store every piece of media onto one central PC with a crap ton of hard drive space.

To get every other computer to access those files is it something as simple as sharing the drives so that anyone on the network can see and access them?

Is there a program that would organize this better?

Or is setting up a server the better option?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #181 - Mar 7th, 2014 at 2:08am
Print Post  
I use a Media Server called Plex to distribute movies across the different tvs and stations in the house. You can run it on any machine, and it will organize and stream your movies/music on the fly to another device that can connect to a media server. if you pay them 80 bucks one time, you can stream to your mobile or tablet or a web browser halfway around the world from your home media server. bob could tell you how to do the hardware more efficiently, but i just use a spare tower. If it's just sharing files, bob was telling me about a box that just holds harddrives and acts as a fileserver that any comp on your network can access.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #182 - Mar 7th, 2014 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Plex is awesome for media streaming.  If you're just looking for a simple file share, though, you can do that natively through Windows.

-b0b
(...can provide details if desired.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #183 - Mar 7th, 2014 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I remember at the last LAN, bob, you were talking about the best media hub you talked about liking.  I was trying to remember what it was called but all I can think of is DroBo.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #184 - Mar 7th, 2014 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
Synology?  It's a SAN/NAS/Media Server/etc. all in one.  They're somewhat more expensive than competing products, but they are absolutely rock solid.  I've got a DS1812+ and I absolutely love it.  I've already got the 8x4TB config pretty much maxed out, so I'll be buying a five-bay expansion sometime this summer.

-b0b
(...data!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #185 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
Is there something that's more scaled down (under $1,100)?

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #186 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Sure.  The same software runs on pretty much all of the Synology products ranging from their sub-$200 desktop models to their $5k+ business models.  If you're going to store a ton of important stuff, I'd recommend going with at least a four drive model so you can use RAID 6.  That will leave you with two parity disks and two data disks, allowing up to ~8TB of capacity with 4TB drives.

The reason for this is the incredibly long rebuild time on high-capacity disks, especially with the slower 5400RPM disks you'll probably want to buy for a SAN/NAS.  With only one parity drive (RAID 5), your data is in jeopardy when you lose a disk.  You have no spares, so you'll be running with no data protection while you order a replacement drive, install it, and wait for it to rebuild.

If the data isn't super important, you can go with a three disk model, or a four disk model with one parity disk (12TB usable).  This might also be a workable option if you use an offsite backup system like CrashPlan.

-b0b
(...will totally do a CrashPlan write-up soon.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #187 - Mar 8th, 2014 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Here's an example of a four-bay model:

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Network-Attached/dp/B008U69L...

If that's too pricy, let me know and I can look around for alternatives.

-b0b
(...toys!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #188 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 5:30am
Print Post  
So, here's my thinking with everything so far.  Definitely going to be a while before everything falls into place.

It looks like a Roku 3 with Plex might be the best set up.

I'd like to set up something like the four-bay model you've got there, bob.  Storage of movies and audio files are probably the main items that would be on the device

I saw a review of it and the interface and options look pretty awesome.  It also has the ability to store footage from IP cameras, which I want to install at least 3 of them at the new place.

Briney, I know you and I talked about WD Live TV but it seems like Roku 3 works best with Plex.

Plex seems great as it will allow access to mobile devices as well.  Being able to access podcasts and other audio files (and vids) would be a great help.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #189 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Just a note on the IP cameras, the first one is free with a Synology device.  You have to purchase additional camera licenses for the other two.

I've installed the surveillance software on my Synology but I've been too lazy to actually configure a camera.  If you beat me to it, post some screenshots and let me know what you think.

-b0b
(...needs some motivation!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #190 - Mar 27th, 2014 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Will do!  Thanks for the heads up.

With the IP cameras I'm looking at, it looks like the footage is just dumped to its own licensed software...but I will give one a try when I get all the toys.

X
(..first one is always free...that's how they getcha!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #191 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Windows XP is officially dead.  Yesterday marked the end of general support.

-b0b
(...hopefully Microsoft can come up with a decent operating system with 9.)
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2014 at 2:06pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #192 - Apr 9th, 2014 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Wait...MS was suppose to support that to begin with?!?!

I keed I keeeed!

X
(/salutes - General Support)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #193 - Apr 10th, 2014 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
OK, my turn to be stumped on something...

Bought a new rig.  Using the Asus RoG hero board trying to install Win7 onto a samsung 830 ssd I get to the "where would you like to install Windows" screen and my only option is to "load driver."

I have used the drivers for the AHCI controller on the CD and from the Asus website.  Nothing changes.  My only option is still "load drivers."  Out of desperation I have also tried to install windows with the bios set to IDE mode.  Same result.

Is there a step or something I am missing?

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #194 - Apr 11th, 2014 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Just a couple questions to confirm:

1) You were originally trying to install using AHCI mode, right?  This is the one you want, as you'll have to do a registry hack to switch from IDE to AHCI later, and you definitely want to operate in AHCI long-term.

2) You can see the drive in BIOS, correct?

3) You're using a Win 7 SP1 disc, not a vanilla Win 7 disc, right?  Vanilla Win7 has issues with advanced drive types.  The same key will work for both versions.

Assuming your responses are yes, yes and yes, here's a way to determine if the "Diet Windows" environment used for the install can see the disk at all.  Switch the disk back to AHCI mode before moving on.  When you boot from the Windows 7 installer disc, hit Shift + F10 simultaneously.  This should bring up a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type diskpart and hit enter.  Next, type list disk and hit enter again.

You should be able to see your SSD.  If not, let me know.  Take a look at the number associated with the disk and type select disk X where X is the number you saw next to the disk.

Finally, you can rewrite a new MBR by entering the command clean.  Since you have a prior history of formatting volumes inadvertently (ha!), be aware this will effectively blow away anything you have on the SSD.  Since you have nothing on the disk this won't be a problem.

If you run into any problems or this doesn't work, let me know.

-b0b
(...good luck!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16
Send TopicPrint