Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Computer Questions (Read 72533 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Computer Questions
Reply #75 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 9:22am
Print Post  
You hit both of my preliminary guesses on the head.  The only other thing that comes to mind is an ongoing disk failure which has corrupted the OS.  Are you hearing the "click of death" or getting any other indicator of a progressive hard drive failure?

I've got spare drives laying around if you want to try installing an OS on a different drive.  That should give you an idea of where the problem lies and will rule out memory and other hardware problems.  Once you get that carved out, you can connect the second drive to determine if it is a drive failure or a virus.

-b0b
(...!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #76 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Ya...now the only problem is getting back to TR to actually take a look at it.

With descriptions like I got in trying to diagnose...I'm SOOOOOO glad I didn't go into the IT field.  Good thing these people are my primary givers of life...I like saying "meh, I'm out of ideas".

I'll let you know bob...thanks.

So when/where is the LAN?  I now I have new years eve day off but have to work new years day from 6am to 2pm...

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #77 - Dec 10th, 2009 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I suggest running a system restore from the installation media.  If you boot to the install CD and go to install there should be a setting there to repair.  Depending on what version of windows you are using, the exact steps are going to vary.  Once done you will have to reload any drivers that you may have installed. 

Another idea is to reseed the memory with only one stick in at a time. Maybe a stick is bad.   

Not sure if you are using a OEM machine or not, but dell has a decent diagnotic live cd that is worth trying.  HP has one too I believe.

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #78 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 9:01am
Print Post  
X wrote on Dec 10th, 2009 at 10:39am:
I'm SOOOOOO glad I didn't go into the IT field.

I get "tech support" calls from people I haven't seen in years.  A couple weeks back, a distant relative of mine left a message on my machine because her computer was on the fritz.  I haven't seen or talked to her in at least six or seven years, yet I'm somehow her very first contact when her computer dies a well-deserved death.

I haven't returned the call.

Quote:
So when/where is the LAN?  I now I have new years eve day off but have to work new years day from 6am to 2pm...

I'll post a couple dates in the LAN thread, but I'm thinking maybe Saturday the 2nd?  Does that fit into everybody's schedule?  It also leaves New Year's open to all of you slackers that have other plans.

computerjuvenile wrote on Dec 10th, 2009 at 5:50pm:
I suggest running a system restore from the installation media.

Bah!  Real men format first and ask questions later!

-b0b
(...is a manly man.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #79 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Bah!  Real men format first and ask questions later!

And realer men look to see which partition they are formatting before they do it.  I told you I would never let you forget about that!

...and 'C' does not sound that much like 'D'!!!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #80 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Here's how that went down:

Quote:
b0b:  Can I trash C?
Spanky:  Yes.
*C: partition is deleted*
b0b:  Can I trash D?
Spanky:  Yes.
*D: partition is deleted*

Ten minutes pass...

Spanky: What the hell do you mean, "Do you want me to format D:?"

As you can see, it wasn't my fault.

-b0b
(...HA!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #81 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
You overworked whore!  It went...

Quote:
b0b:  Can I trash C?
Spanky:  Yes.
*C: partition is deleted*
b0b:  Can I trash D?
Spanky:  Yeah, just C.
*D: partition is deleted*

That is what I said!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #82 - Dec 11th, 2009 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
You can't prove it!

-b0b
(...cackles.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #83 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 3:20am
Print Post  
So I'm thinking of building my computer again from scratch.  The problem is, that being out of the loop for a bit leads to not knowing what's current and what the future holds.

So does anyone have any suggestions for motherboard, processor, graphic card, and/or anything else that might be helpful?

Heck, I don't even know what case to buy!

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #84 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 9:40am
Print Post  
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=41460...

the fans in this are HUGE. It runs silent, has space for 2 power supplies, one of which is at the bottom, which is brilliant for keeping airflow clear, as you can just run all the HD power along the bottom. the HD and CD slots require no screws. There is a front bay with 4 usb and some audio and firewire ports.

Susies cousin and our friend just got this case, it will be my next case. Its very large, but this makes it very easy to maneuver as you install things.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #85 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Real Men™ buy their cases from Mountain Mods.  The next Bobulator is going to require a new case (*tear*) because of the way the power supply is mounted in the existing case, and I'm looking at the Ascension Duality.  Check it out.

For what its worth, every time I plan a PC upgrade I have to spend a fair amount of time researching the latest hardware.  I can tell you anything you want to know about server and network gear at any time, but it's just too hard to keep up with PC trends when you aren't building a machine every week.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #86 - Dec 19th, 2009 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
So are we still AMD folks or has Pentium sowed up that debate?  I'm still looking at Asus motherboards because my current one has been a pretty good one.

Also, are we still believers in nVida or has ATI finally caught up with them?

Also, I would stay away from TigerDirect as much as you can...I've had some bad dealing with their support so only try to use them for awesome deals you can't find on Newegg.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #87 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
At the moment, Intel is still higher up the ladder than AMD, but the gap is much narrower than it once was.  I'm running an Intel Q6600 at the moment and I'm looking at upgrading to an i7 within the next few months.  If you're concerned about price, though, AMD is making some great chips at an incredible price point.

ATI and Nvidia are really running neck and neck right now, and the "winner" really depends on which price category you're looking at.  ATI is winning at the top-of-the-line category with the Radeon 5870, which is the current king of the speed race and also the only DirectX 11 card on the market.  It's also $600+ and insanely hard to find in stock anywhere.  Nvidia is still holding their own, though, and generally have superior cards at all other price points.

Personally, I've had bad luck with ATI cards for years, so I'm still going to stick with Nvidia.  The GTX 285 line is reasonably priced and a heck of a performer, so that's the board I'm planning on buying during the next Bobulator refresh.

Now that Soyo has gone down the crapper, I've become an Asus enthusiast.  I'm currently running the Asus Maximus Extreme, and I'm looking at the Asus Supercomputer for my next board.  You really can't go wrong with their high-end boards, as they ship with everything but the kitchen sink.  The board I have now has an integrated power button and reset switch right on the board, for crying out loud!

-b0b
(...needs more power!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #88 - Dec 21st, 2009 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Geez...what do you need 7 PCI slots for?!

Hmm...video card (even if you get 2!), audio (if you don't use the onboard one).....???? what else?!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #89 - Dec 22nd, 2009 at 6:12am
Print Post  
Depending on the video setup you go for, you can burn up 3-4 PCI slots simply on graphics adapters.

Alternately, you could buy six 4-port server-grade gigabit network adapters and team them together for a 24GB network connection.

-b0b
(...alright, that might be overkill.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Send TopicPrint