Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Russkies! (Read 5311 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Russkies!
Aug 9th, 2007 at 11:12am
Print Post  
Since the Russians seem to be returning to a Cold War stance, I thought I'd start a new thread to focus on their tomfoolery.

Quote:
Russia jets resume Cold War runs
Russian bombers have flown to the US island of Guam in the Pacific as part of an exercise this week reminiscent of the Cold War.
Two Tu-95 jets flew to Guam, which is home to a big US military base, Maj Gen Pavel Androsov said.

They "exchanged smiles" with US pilots who scrambled to track them, he added.

The sorties, believed to be the first since the Cold War ended, come as Russia stresses a more assertive foreign policy, observers say.

There was another article posted a couple days back about Russia doing the same thing off the coast of Britain, and yet another article yesterday about them flying into Georgian airspace (the country, not the state) and firing a missile into a corn field.

Putin is really pushing hard for Cold War 2.0.  Considering the current status of Russia, I don't know what the heck he's pushing for.

On a good note, 20 F22 Raptors were delivered to an Alaskan military base today, so if Russia tries doing Cold War style flyovers of Alaska, our boys will have a new toy to wave back with.

-b0b
(...boggles a bit.)

IP Logged

Stick@school
GeekCrew Pedestrian

Personal Text:

Re: Russkies!
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Do you think there is any country that could defeat the US in a war?

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or Personal Message. YaBBC code may be be used in your signature.  Duh!

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
What would happen if Russia and China got real friendly, eh?

EDIT: After seeing Stick's post:

China could, most likely. They are gearing up for it. They could shoot down a lot of our satellites before an attack, including the invaluable gps network. That is, if they made enough of those satellite killers. Our military is too thin anyway to stop a full on assault on the US. I would think they would come over on container ships.

Meh, it won't happen, but its a thought!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
The only trouble China has is that it could never invade the US because it has too many troops and not enough troop transports.  Sorry, but Red Dawn could never happen.  Another problem is that China is in its own Industrial Revolution and a war with one of its best customers would hurt it very much.  Although with the way dog food and people food quality control is so lax...if we ever decide to stop buying their crap...I figure all they have to do is call in their debt markers that they have from us and kill us in a matter of seconds that way.  However, that's one thing I don't understand about wall street.  If China did do that...why don't we just say "uhh we don't have the money right now so...no"?  It's not like China's going to hire a seizure crew to take the President's motorcade and furniture away.

I really don't understand why Russia is gearing up again.  Does anyone have a good guess?  I do see Canada is making a claim to the North Pole as well.  Wouldn't that be funny...a Russian/Canadian war.  One side has 30 year old Migs...the other 15 year old US planes.  I smell a second Top Gun!  I also love how Russia just thinks it can claim something by planting a flag...if that true...we own the entire Moon!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
With Russia's technology and China's numbers, they could really give us a run for the money.  Of course, the economic collapse that would result from such a battle would crush the entire planet.

-b0b
(...needs to start working on his apocalypse bunker.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2007 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
Russian launches air strike
Russia 'launches airstrike' against Georgia
By Richard Holt
Last Updated: 1:42am BST 08/08/2007

Russia has been accused of launching an airstrike in an "act of aggression" against neighbouring Georgia.

Farmers with what is claimed to be a motor from the missile

Russia, which has a long history of tense relations with the former Soviet state, has denied the claim.

Georgian officials said that two Russian jet fighters violated its airspace and fired a missile which did not explode.

A Georgian government spokesman said that the intrusion took place on Monday night when the aircraft entered Georgia's airspace over the northeastern Gori region and fired a missile which fell near the village of Tsitelubani, around 40 miles west of the capital, Tbilisi.

At the scene, locals watched as bomb disposal experts worked using a remote-controlled vehicle and an excavator to safely remove what appeared to be the remains of a missile from a five-metre deep crater.

The spokesman said that he had personally inspected the missile which landed just metres from a house on the outskirts of the village.

Neighbouring Georgia and Russia have a history of tense relations

He said that experts were considering what to do with the weapon.

Vano Merabishvili, the Georgian interior minister, said: "Our radars show that these jets flew from Russia and then flew back in the same direction that they had come from.

"I assess this fact as an act of aggression carried out by planes flown from the territory of another state."

Georgian officials have frequently claimed that Russian military aircraft has violated its airspace. Russia has always denied the accusations.

Russian officials have said in the past that Georgia itself stages "provocations" to stir up conflict with Moscow and distract attention from its government's failings.

Eduard Kokoity, leader of Georgia's breakaway South Ossetia - a Moscow-backed region which is a few miles from Tsitelubani - said Georgia fired the missile itself to discredit Russia.

"This is a well-planned provocation," he was quoted as saying by local media.

Moscow is reportedly angry about Georgia's plans to join Nato, while Tbilisi accuses Russia of backing separatists in breakaway provinces and trying to destabilise Georgia.

This was the other article from Wednesday I was referring to.  I may or may not have posted it in another thread.

-b0b
(...commie bastages!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint