Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Acer Buys Gateway (Read 4333 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Acer Buys Gateway
Aug 27th, 2007 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
I haven't found a news article yet, but I just read that Acer purchased Gateway.  Good frickin' riddance!  Now, if only we can convince them to buy up eMachines, too.

-b0b
(...taps out this message on his Acer lapper.)

IP Logged

Stick@school
GeekCrew Pedestrian

Personal Text:

Re: Acer Buys Gateway
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 8:06am
Print Post  
Wasn't acer an up and coming company then they kinda died, and now they are on the rise again?

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or Personal Message. YaBBC code may be be used in your signature.  Duh!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Yeah, Acer was a big name back in the early Pentium generation.  They had a pretty sweet exclusive contract with Best Buy.  My first Pentium PC, a Pentium 100mhz with a whopping 8MB of RAM, was an Acer.

Acer pulled out of the American market a couple years later, though, and I honestly don't know why.  They remained a big contender in the European market, though, and started selling PC's in the US a couple years ago.  They're doing pretty well, considering their low price point and relatively decent quality.  I buy Acer PC's almost exclusively at work, and they've been quite reliable considering the rough environment we have here.  They also clock in at $150-$200 less than a comparable Dell computer.

Personally, I'd love to have a homogeneous Dell network and I'd never buy a non-Dell server if I could help it, but Acer is simply beating the crap out of Dell in the price game.  When you're working with a budget as tight as mine, you've got to save every penny you can.

-b0b
(...takes off his IT hat.)

IP Logged

Stick@school
GeekCrew Pedestrian

Personal Text:

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
My boss just pruchased a Dell server with two quad-core Xeons, 8GB of ram, and 6 500 GB HDDs for $4,500.  I guess there was a 25% off special earlier this week.  That knocked off $1,400  Shocked

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or Personal Message. YaBBC code may be be used in your signature.  Duh!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
If they were 500GB hard drives, they had to be SATA/IDE.  Why in the world would you put SATA drives in a server with those stats?

-b0b
(...ooohs.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint