Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Presidential Candidates (Read 102943 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Presidential Candidates
Reply #30 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
http://www.scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2007/12/ron_paul_rejects_evolution.php

Need another reason to vote for Ron Paul?

He's smart enough not to believe in a theory as stupid as evolution!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #31 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Okay, okay, okay.

The matter of evolution v. creationism v. the rest of the "how we were made" theories aren't on my top ten concerns, sorry X! (ps I'm sorry if I made you sad on the wasted vote thing!)

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, or I just didn't say it right--It's not that I won't vote, it's just that I'm frustrated that I'm more aligned with 3rd parties as I get older---and I feel like no one's ever going to vote for them, or vote at all because Americans get so caught up in the 'red state, blue state' thing and don't even check who they're voting for. Half the girls at my school say things like "I'm voting for Obama because he has a universal health care plan."  Yet, only a few of them can tell me what his plan is and why they think it'll work. The others are just regurgitating things they hear on campaign ads and from other friends.  Honestly, I was supporting Hillary until recently, when she did release her sketchtastic "universal" health plan, which didn't strike me as competent. But that's another rant for another never.  I think the same was true for me in the previous two elections, which were held during my 8th grade and 12th grade years (shut up, I know I'm a youngin') and the majority of my schoolmates were Bush supporters, yet no one could back up their reasons why or really form a political thought past what their parents had told them.

My parents were annoyed when I told them the candidates I was most interested in were Ron Paul, Clinton and Biden. If that makes any sense at all, which I know it probably doesn't  Roll Eyes

Anyways, I'm on a rant and I need to be packing my bags since I'm flying back to Pittsburgh in about 3 or 4 hours.

Caitlin

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #32 - Dec 29th, 2007 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
I was posting the video for all...not just for you...so I'm not sad at all  Smiley

I think this country has a silent majority with respect to what you were saying about being frustrated.

You look at how much support Ron Paul has drummed up with people who've never voted before, disenfranchised Dems and Republicans, and people who've never voted before or recently.  Ron Paul is as baby step away from a 3rd party vote (or as I call it a true Republican vote since neo-cons are just as bad a Dems who believe just about the same).  Ron Paul's campaign has started what every other candidate won't admit they want....a true grass roots campaign.

The other candidates would love their own blimp.  The other candidates would love their own supporters to start up a website dedicate to money bomb days.  They'd love to break the record for most money gained even without the nomination.  They'd love to be told by many reporters that when they travel all they see are their signs outnumbered any other 1,000 to 1.  They'd love to have the passion of when their names are mentioned in any news report or any news show that they would receive thousands of emails.

Ron Paul should beholden reporters into a state which they've never seen in 3 generations of politics.  Yet all they can do is attack him.  They attack him because certain people don't label him in the "top tier".  They have to attack him because he wants to give up power and not "take care of all the needs of society with the iron fist of the fed. govt".

Just image what this would mean if Ron Paul was elected.  Everyone would have a chance to be elected.  It would inspire the apathetic and the disenfranchised.  They see a candidate who's not a millionaire, who's not exploiting a national tragedy for the sake of head office seat, and not someone who's record that he's inconsistent with his beliefs and flip flops when the polls tell him to do so.

It's amazing how long Ron Paul has been in office considering.  He's very unpopular with his fellow representative, not all but most.  He votes no on most things brought before him, hence his nickname of Dr. No.  Also, believe it or not, I believe he's the only person to have read the Constitution all the way through and knows that the President isn't the leader of this country, but the leaders are the people of this great nation.  He's never run an attack ad when up for re-election.  While his running mate is slandering and lying about him on the defensive, Ron Paul always remained on the offensive and said "this is what I believe for this reason...if you don't like it...don't elect me".

Ok my rant is over for now...but to sum up my point it's this:

Ron Paul is that person that can act like both a 3rd party candidate and a main party runner...don't be afraid to vote for him in the primaries.

X

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #33 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
obama and huckabee just won Iowa.

and i just vomited up my dinner.

i dislike them both. verah much.

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #34 - Jan 3rd, 2008 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Huckabee Declared Winner of Iowa Republican Presidential Caucuses

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Mike Huckabee was declared the winner of the Iowa Republican presidential caucuses Thursday night, less than an hour after voting began.

With 25 percent reporting, Huckabee had 35 percent, Mitt Romney had 24 percent and Fred Thompson had 14 percent. John McCain had 12 percent, according to the reporting.

The Iowa caucuses sites were reportedly more heavily populated than expected Thursday night as voters traveled to familiar places to throw their support to their choice of presidential candidate.

Campaign manager Chip Saltzman reported that Huckabee was delayed 30 minutes trying to access a caucus site in Waterloo. That's rural Iowa, Blackhawk County, about 90 minutes by car from Des Moines. Traffic into the caucus location was "at a standstill," Saltzman said.

The Romney campaign, however, said it considered Huckabee's campaign to be "a one-hit wonder," as the former Arkansas governor does not have the organization or money to launch a nationwide campaign.

Romney was gracious, however, when conceding Huckabee's victory.

"This is obviously a bit like a baseball game," he said. "First inning in, well it’s a 50-inning ballgame. I’m gonna keep on battling all the way and anticipate I get the nomination when it’s all said and done, but you know congratulations for the first round to Mike, and we’ll go on to New Hampshire."

First-tier candidates were hoping for break-out numbers to distinguish them in a hotly-contested race. The fate of a few second-tier contestants was hanging in the balance as their fortunes were being measured in the shadow of better-funded and organized opponents.

Entrance polling for FOX News also offered an uncertain picture on the Democratic side. As Democrats entered the caucuses, Barack Obama had 34 percent, compared to 27 percent for Hillary Clinton and John Edwards at 21 percent, though that number appeared to be moving up as the night continued.

But as 46 percent of the precincts were reported, Obama had 34 percent, and Edwards and Clinton were tied with 32 percent each. Bill Richardson had 2 percent.

Registration at one precinct at Iowa State Historical Museum was approaching 40 percent before the cut-off. That would be four times the amount the Democratic precinct chairman was expecting. Chairman Jack Porter of the 64th Democratic precinct in Des Moines told caucus-goers right before the 7 pm deadline for registration to participate that "everyone who wants to register can register," generating strong applause from those in the room.

Analysts say turnout at other locations has also been much higher than the previous election, which could bode well for Obama, who has fashioned himself the candidate for change and is attracting new voters.

Public schools, libraries, churches and city halls are many of the locations where Iowa decision-makers were headed to cast their vote to choose delegates to attend a series of conventions that will determine the state's representatives to the Democratic and Republican national conventions next summer.

The museum, for instance, is home for five of the 1,781 precincts -- three Democratic, including the 64th, and two Republican -- caucusing. People were required to have come through the door before 7 p.m. CST in order to participate so voting could begin promptly. That appeared impossible as the deadline rolled by.

Of the 3 million residents in Iowa, 2 million are registered voters, but only about 150,000 Democrats and 80,000 Republicans were expected to show at the caucus sites.

But top Obama advisers predict turnout in Democratic caucuses to exceed 200,000. If true, all the campaigns -- Obama, Clinton, Edwards -- say that would spell an Obama victory.

Once they arrived, the caucus-goers were to be assigned a location in each of the caucuses sites.

For Democrats, after arriving, voters checked off their names and were given a sticker with a numerical designation. The chairman of the precinct was to start his watch at 7 p.m. and give voters 30 minutes to spill into the corners of the room where each candidate has a designated spot for supporters.

After 30 minutes, the chairman was to count up the people at each of the spots to make sure there were enough to represent 15 percent of all the eligible caucus-goers in the precinct. If the candidate doesn't meet the 15 percent threshold, his or her supporters are given a second chance to regroup and pick another candidate or convince others to join them.

The horse-trading continues for another 30 minutes until only the viable candidates' supporters are standing in their spots. The chairman then uses a formula to determine how many delegates each candidate will win. The formula used is to multiply the number of members in a candidate's corner by the total number of delegates elected at the caucus and divide that by the total number of eligible caucus attendees.

(An example: If 150 people show up to a caucus that is to elect four or more delegates, a candidate must get at least 25 people in his or her corner to be viable. If a candidate has 25 caucus-goers in his corner, then following the formula, 25 x 4/150 = .67 percent, rounded up to one, the candidate wins one delegate).

The chairman then calls up the convention center to phone in his allocated delegates.

The Republicans have a much simpler process. It's a straw poll. Caucus-goers write the name they want and stick it in a box. The names are counted up and the delegates are apportioned by percentages.

I like the Republican method better.

-b0b
(...can't wait to see the final numbers!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #35 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:13pm
Print Post  

I just thought I'd show you the man that won the democratic caucus in Iowa last night.  Does anybody else see something wrong with this picture?

-b0b
(...points out that the national anthem is currently being sung.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #36 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
It is a well known fact that black people keep their heart in their crotch.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #37 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Maybe it's the Mexican anthem...I mean look at Richardson...you can't tell me he's really American.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #38 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
POWNED!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #39 - Jan 6th, 2008 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Bahahaha, classic!

-b0b
(...thinks McCain is a douche.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #40 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Does he look like that because he is a fat ass or because of plastic surgery gone wrong?

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #41 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 9:56am
Print Post  
He's definitely got a chipmunk thing going on.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #42 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 10:07am
Print Post  
He's just caching nuts for the coming famine.

-b0b
(...thinks its the only possible explanation.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #43 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 11:58am
Print Post  
He stores them up just in case he's ever a POW again.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #44 - Jan 7th, 2008 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
I wasn't going to say it...   Cool