Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 451278 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Geek News
Reply #240 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:12pm:
...that means I've been going through books like you go through twinkies!

I call BS.  A million monkeys pounding on a million typewriters couldn't write enough text to match that pace!

-b0b
(...bam!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #241 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Ah...but I use the word "like" meaning it's a simile and not a 1:1 correlation of Twinkies to books

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #242 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Btw, the Taste of Kalamazoo will be in town this weekend, and that could be fun to hit up before or after the movie =)

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #243 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Hey for those of you that are still college students.  The Rave theater no longer gives you the 5 dollar deal that includes the ticket, popcorn and pop. 

Like bob mentioned earlier Batman comes out Friday night.  If you want to go see it you might want to pre-order a ticket. 

Go to https://www.movietickets.com/purchase.asp?perf_id=559094915 to get the ticket. 

Does anyone have a time that they would prefer?

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #244 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
But they still have $5 tickets, just no free popcorn and pop.  One thing they did that also torques my chain is they only give free refills on large popcorn and pop so I always bring my own pop.  Also a small popcorn ((3/4) average store bought bag) is $4.

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #245 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Being a college student has nothing to do with it.  I still have my ID so as far as they know...

Yeah I will milk this college student thing for as long as I can.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #246 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
That's the great thing about being married - women carry purses.  Meredith could smuggle a small child into the theater with her mega-purse.

The last time we went to watch a movie with a bunch of friends, she smuggled in a large bag of Skittles, some Twizzlers, a box or Oreos, some beef jerky, and at least three 20oz bottles of pop.

-b0b
(...doesn't need any steeenkin' discount.)

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #247 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Friday show times:
Noon,  12:45pm,  1:30pm,  2:45pm,  3:30pm,  4:15pm,  5:00pm,  7:00pm,  7:45pm,  8:30pm,  9:15pm,  9:45pm,  10:30pm,  11:15pm

Somebody pick one so we can make sure to get tickets =)

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #248 - Jul 16th, 2008 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Dud b0b I got you beat.

A good friend of mine in Colorado named Yager (its his last name) is a BIG dude, I'm talking like 400 pounds.

Using nothing but his pockets and god only knows what else.  He snuck a foot long sub from Subway, a back of Dorritos and a 2 liter into a movie with us......

Dude is pro.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #249 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 8:36am
Print Post  
A teaser trailer for Terminator Salvation is out...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810025211/trailer

It's not much, but it'll do.

-b0b
(...looks for the high-res version.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #250 - Jul 17th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
If you guys are still up for the movie.  I think we decided that we were going to go at 9:15pm at the Rave.  Tickets are 9 dollars if you buy them online.  Cheaper at the door I believe, but you might not get a seat.  Just be careful.  You can't prove that you go to college online either. 

Last time I checked the movie had a 92% percent on rottentomatoes.com.  From what I hear, the movie is amazing

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #251 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
http://www.yahoo.com/s/920027

Batman was amazing.  You can check out Briney and myself's take on it on Sunday on our Film Geeks show (woo hoo PLUG!) - http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/14391

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #252 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Yeah, the joker was one crazy BAMF...sorry to use such strong letters.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #253 - Jul 20th, 2008 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
/Shields a child's eyes

THEY WERE IN ALL CAPS!  OH WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #254 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Randy Pausch, Author of 'Last Lecture,' Dies at 47
July 25, 2008 1:53 p.m.

Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist whose "last lecture" about facing terminal cancer became an international sensation and a best-selling book, died Friday. He was 47 years old.

University spokeswoman Anne Watzman said Mr. Pausch died early Friday at his home in Virginia.

Mr. Pausch was diagnosed with incurable pancreatic cancer in September 2006. His popular last lecture at Carnegie Mellon in September 2007 garnered international attention and was viewed by millions on the Internet.

In it, Mr. Pausch celebrated living the life he had always dreamed of instead of concentrating on impending death.

The lecture was videotaped and footage began spreading across thousands of Web sites. (The full talk can now be seen at thelastlecture.com.) Soon, he was receiving emails from all over the world.

The book "The Last Lecture, " written with The Wall Street Journal's Jeffrey Zaslow, topped best-seller lists after its publication in April.

Mr. Zaslow wrote in the Journal in May, "I almost didn't go to Pittsburgh to see him. The plane fare from my home in Detroit was a hefty $850, and my editors said that if I wanted, I could just do a phone interview with him after the talk, asking him how it went. In the end, I sensed that I shouldn't miss seeing his lecture in person, and so I drove the 300 miles to Pittsburgh. … Like others in the room that day, I knew I was seeing something extraordinary. I hoped I could put together a compelling story, but I had no expectations beyond that."

The Last Lecture

In the September 2007 lecture, Mr. Pausch began by showing his CT scans, revealing 10 tumors on his liver. But after that, he talked about living. If anyone expected him to be morose, he said, "I'm sorry to disappoint you." He then dropped to the floor and did one-handed pushups.

Clicking through photos of himself as a boy, he talked about his childhood dreams: to win giant stuffed animals at carnivals, to walk in zero gravity, to design Disney rides, to write a World Book entry. By adulthood, he had achieved each goal. As proof, he had students carry out all the huge stuffed animals he'd won in his life, which he gave to audience members. After all, he doesn't need them anymore.

He paid tribute to his techie background. "I've experienced a deathbed conversion," he said, smiling. "I just bought a Macintosh." Flashing his rejection letters on the screen, he talked about setbacks in his career, repeating: "Brick walls are there for a reason. They let us prove how badly we want things." He encouraged us to be patient with others. "Wait long enough, and people will surprise and impress you." After showing photos of his childhood bedroom, decorated with mathematical notations he'd drawn on the walls, he said: "If your kids want to paint their bedrooms, as a favor to me, let 'em do it."

While displaying photos of his bosses and students over the years, he said that helping others fulfill their dreams is even more fun than achieving your own. He talked of requiring his students to create videogames without sex and violence. "You'd be surprised how many 19-year-old boys run out of ideas when you take those possibilities away," he said, but they all rose to the challenge.

A geek amongst geeks.  God speed, Mr. Pausch - you will be missed.

-b0b
(...)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35
Send TopicPrint