Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 451054 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Geek News
Reply #270 - Apr 27th, 2009 at 11:19am
Print Post  

Quote:
Optical disc offers 500GB storage

A disc that can store 500 gigabytes (GB) of data, equivalent to 100 DVDs, has been unveiled by General Electric.

The micro-holographic disc, which is the same size as existing DVD discs, is aimed at the archive industry.

But the company believes it can eventually be used in the consumer market place and home players.

Blu-ray discs, which are used to store high definition movies and games, can currently hold between 25GB and 50GB.

Screw Blu-Ray, give me one of these!

-b0b
(...will take two, actually.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #271 - May 8th, 2009 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
The new Star Trek movie?  Two words for ya:  FRICKIN' EPIC.

It's very rare that my expectations are ever met at the theater, let alone exceeded.  Star Trek is the first movie to pull that off since Iron Man, which was the first movie since... well... pretty much ever.

Star Trek has excellent casting, a relatively interesting plot, solid visuals, and some fantastic writing.  Beam me up, baby!

-b0b
(...still thinks Picard is better.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #272 - May 9th, 2009 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Yeah I saw it Thursday night and was pretty happy with it.  I have to say the guy playing Kirk did a better job at it then Shatner did.  He had the same mannerisms and movements as Shattner but without the overdone part of the acting.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #273 - May 10th, 2009 at 12:01am
Print Post  
I agree with the previous statements but someone please take away the various lens flares, bloom, and hotspot tools/filters from JJ Abrams. My goodness, it was like a strobe light sometimes.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #274 - Jun 14th, 2009 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Fox is making 26 more episodes of Futurama!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #275 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Windows 7 Ultimate activation cracked with OEM master key

Windows 7 Ultimate has been cracked. The pirate milestone, reached almost three months before Windows 7 is set to hit General Availability on October 22, 2009, was achieved via OEM instant offline activation that passes Windows Genuine Advantage validation and keeps the operating system permanently activated. Previous cracks weren't as solid: while they may be working now, they can easily be disabled by Microsoft. This one won't be so easy.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate can now easily be activated, according to My Digital Life. For Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Home Basic, and Windows 7 Starter, the OEM-System-Locked Preinstallation (SLP) keys haven't been leaked, so they cannot be OEM-activated yet. It won't be long before easy-to-use Windows 7 activation toolkits start appearing in the wild.

The story begins with a Windows 7 Ultimate OEM DVD ISO from Lenovo leaking to a Chinese forum. The boot.wim file was then used to retrieve the OEM-SLP product key and OEM certificate for Windows 7 Ultimate. The SLP is a procedure used by Microsoft to preactivate the Windows operating system for mass distribution by major OEMs. Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 use SLP version 2.1, which is backwards-compatible with version 2.0, the version Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 use. As such, after the OEM certificate and OEM product key were extracted, it was discovered that Windows 7 uses the same digitally signed OEM certificate, which has an .xrm-ms extension, that Vista uses.

The extracted Windows 7 Ultimate OEM-SLP product key can be used to activate an installed Windows 7 Ultimate system, and since the product key appears to be a master OEM-SLP product key for Windows 7 Ultimate, it can activate Windows 7 Ultimate from any OEM. Furthermore, even if the user already has a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate installed, it can be converted to an OEM version with two simple commands, and then activated.

This is a major breakthrough for the Windows piracy world and a huge blow to Microsoft. Even if it was imminent, the fact that it has occurred so soon means pirates will have activated copies of Windows 7 a good week before even MSDN and TechNet subscribers get their hands on the RTM build on August 6, not to mention all the other groups Microsoft plans to give the build to. The Windows 7 RTM and Windows Server 2008 RTM build was compiled on July 13, 2009 and the official announcement was made on July 22, 2009.

This has to be a new milestone.  This might be the first OS to ever be cracked a full three months before it gets released!

I'm not real sure how Microsoft will deal with this.  Windows 7 will use Windows Genuine Advantage 2.1, which is wholly backward compatible with WGA 2.0, used in Vista and Server 2008.  Since the key that was stolen was an OEM key (used to create "child" keys for individuals PCs), I'm not sure if Microsoft can blacklist the Lenovo OEM key and reissue a new one without blacklisting hundreds of thousands of legitimate Vista/2008 keys.

-b0b
(...we'll see!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #276 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Didn't know where to put this comment but I just watched the trailer for the movie District 9 and it looks epic!

What do you think?

AIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #277 - Aug 14th, 2009 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
I plan on going to see it.  It looks really well done, and Peter Jackson does have a pretty decent movie history.

I figure it's worth the 47 dollars it costs to see a movie these days Wink

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #278 - Aug 15th, 2009 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
I saw it and it was very well done. I recommend seeing it in the theater.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #279 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
I saw the late show on Friday and enjoyed it.  It wasn't an epic movie and I wouldn't describe it as earth-shattering or ground-breaking, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

-b0b
(...gives it a thumbs up.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #280 - Aug 16th, 2009 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
I love how it started out as a sort of documentary and seamlessly transferred into a normally filmed story.  It was a very creative film with surprising amounts of gore.

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #281 - Aug 17th, 2009 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Yea i loved it, we need more films like this. I'm tired of the standard formula. This movie pretty much stayed semi-unpredictable.

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #282 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 10:10am
Print Post  
http://www.geoffchappell.com/viewer.htm?doc=notes/windows/license/memory.htm

Quote:
Though machines with 4GB are not yet the typical purchase for home or business use, they are readily available from major manufacturers and it won’t be long before they are the typical purchase. But there are problems. You don’t have to stand for long in a computer shop to hear a sales assistant talk of 4GB as some sort of limit for 32-bit operating systems, and it won’t be long before this sales patter develops into outright promotion of 64-bit Windows as the only way to get past this limit. Some sense of this can be seen already in manufacturers’ advertising materials, as in the following fine print from Dell:

The total amount of available memory will be less than 4GB. The amount less depends on the actual system configuration. To fully utilise 4GB or more of memory requires a 64-bit enabled processor and 64-bit operating system, available on selected systems only.

Let me stress now that I do not complain about Dell’s statement. Its first two sentences are correct for all 32-bit editions of Windows Vista exactly as configured by Microsoft and installed by Dell. In the last sentence, I might quibble that the talk of a 64-bit processor is superfluous since the machine on offer does have such a processor, but otherwise the sentence is correct because of the word fully. Yet although Dell’s statement is true, it is not the whole truth: there is something that Microsoft does not tell you, and perhaps does not tell Dell.

That 32-bit editions of Windows Vista are limited to 4GB is not because of any physical or technical constraint on 32-bit operating systems. The 32-bit editions of Windows Vista all contain code for using physical memory above 4GB. Microsoft just doesn’t license you to use that code.

Well, to say it that way is perhaps to put words in Microsoft’s mouth. I say the restriction to 4GB is a licensing issue because that’s how Microsoft’s programmers evidently have thought of it. The 4GB limit is retrieved from the registry by calling a function named ZwQueryLicenseValue, which is itself called from an internal procedure which Microsoft’s published symbol files name as MxMemoryLicense. If you remove this check for the licensed memory limit then a restriction to 4GB is demonstrably not enforced by other means. Yet I must admit that I have not found where Microsoft says directly that 32-bit Windows Vista is limited to 4GB only by licensing. The supposed License Agreement doesn’t even mention the word memory. What, really, is going on?

Bob, thoughts?

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #283 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 11:09am
Print Post  
That post is complete, total, and utter crap.  The author is confusing Physical Address Extension (PAE) with traditional memory access.  Yes, PAE is only licensed with certain operating systems (generally Enterprise versions of the server products).  The 4GB limitation is a mathematical problem, not a licensing problem.

A memory space (bit) can contain one of two values, a 1 or a 0.  A 32-bit platform can therefore access 2^32 bits within its address space, or 4,200,000,000 bits.  That's ~4.2Gb.  Now keep in mind that this is the total addressable limit for all memory, not just RAM.  You lose additional space to L1/L2/L3 cache and, depending on the system, even video RAM.

This is a fairly complicated subject, but here's a stab in the dark.  Most 32-bit Windows systems running with 4GB of RAM (the max) will split the amount of memory in half.  2GB is used to service the Kernel, while the other 2GB services applications.  All applications are assigned the full 2GB of memory, yet they all share the same physical 2GB.  Memory mapping is responsible for handling allocations and contentions.

On Windows servers, you can use a /3GB or /3GT switch to allocate change the 2GB/2GB allocation to a 3GB/1GB allocation, but that's not an option (or even relevant) for a workstation.  PAE technology comes in to the picture by mapping each application to a separate 2GB chunk, instead of forcing them all to use a single 2GB chunk.  The problem is that your hardware can only recognize one 2GB chunk at a time due to the 4GB limitation.  On some servers, the overhead of switching between 2GB chunks is more efficient than swapping out data in a single 2GB chunk, but this is very application specific.

Here's the short end of it:  Microsoft is screwing anybody over through licensing, and the 4GB limitation has nothing to do with the operating system.  PAE is a very limited work-around that only works in very specific circumstances.  Get a 64-bit OS.

-b0b
(...the more you know!)
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:55pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #284 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Quote:
or 4,200,000,000 bits.  That's ~4.2GB.