Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 451150 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Geek News
Reply #285 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Mr. Bit Nazi.  Your contribution has truly touched us all.

-b0b
(...salutes.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #286 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 11:38am
Print Post  
802.11n is no longer a draft standard!  If you guys have been waiting on finalization to buy 802.11n equipment, today is your day!

http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/09/09/11/2220223/IEEE-Approves-80211n-Wi-Fi-Sta...

-b0b
(...bets that doesn't describe anyone.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #287 - Sep 14th, 2009 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I just bought some n equipment last week.  Not sure how to force my adapter to operate on the 5GHz frequency.  I'm assuming if the router is operating at 5GHz and my adapter is connected to the router, I must be using the 5GHz frequency...

AIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #288 - Sep 18th, 2009 at 9:28am
Print Post  
I saw Zombieland yesterday for free. There was a screening at the Rave.  I have to say this was one of my favorite movies of the year.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #289 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 10:25am
Print Post  
It's like looking at the sun!!! (Possibly NSFW)

http://www.manolith.com/2009/10/12/12-hottest-geek-girls/

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #290 - Oct 13th, 2009 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Ahh, yes, but will anyone ever be able to top Stevie "Killcreek" Case, playboy model, professional gamer, and FPS level designer?

-b0b
(...remembers the PC XL issue fondly.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #291 - Oct 19th, 2009 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
It's about darn time!  SCO, best known for suing Linux users and developers, has finally fired everybody's favorite CEO Darl McBride.

Join me in dancing on his proverbial grave!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

Quote:
In an SEC filing published today, SCO revealed that CEO Darl McBride has been terminated and is no longer with the company.
The decision to fire the controversial CEO is part of a restructuring plan that is based on recommendations made by the Chapter 11 trustee who was assigned to SCO by the justice department.

McBride was the architect and public face of SCO's misguided campaign against Linux. He claimed that the open source operating system infringed on SCO's copyright and included a significant quantity of code stolen from UNIX System V. On the basis of this claim, SCO threatened to sue a multitude of corporate Linux users and demanded hefty licensing fees. During the ensuing litigation fiasco, an internal SCO memo was revealed which indicated that SCO's own internal code audits of Linux found no actual evidence of infringement. The courts eventually determined that SCO never even owned the relevant UNIX copyrights in the first place.

Even after SCO's deception was exposed and the company effectively lost its case, Darl McBride continued to insist that the company has evidence of System V code in Linux. No such evidence has been presented and McBride's argument directly contradicts testimony given by other SCO executives. McBride's stubborn detachment from reality has made him a subject of ridicule in the Linux community.

The SEC filing indicates that SCO COO Jeff Hunsaker and CFO Ken Nielsen will assume the responsibility of managing SCO in collaboration with the trustee. The company does not intend to name a new CEO. Additional details of the restructuring plan are said to be forthcoming, but the company says that it has undertaken several cost-cutting measures including a "a modest reduction in SCO's workforce" and the sale of additional assets.

In a statement issued by SCO's new leadership, the company indicates that it plans to continue its litigation efforts and will move forward with the appeals process. The company also says that it plans to continue supporting its UNIX products. This potentially indicates that SCO has given up on trying to unload its UnixWare assets, a plan that has fallen through several times now as various proposed deals have evaporated.

"These actions, while difficult, are essential to SCO becoming a more agile and efficient company, not just for this year, but for years to come," said Hunsaker in a statement. "This restructuring plan reinforces SCO's ability to continue to sell and support its products while servicing the needs of our customers and partners on a worldwide basis through the stabilization of our financial situation."

SCO's numerous reorganization plans have consistently failed. It seems unlikely that the company is still capable of resurrecting itself. The courts are also growing impatient with the company's antics. Bankruptcy Judge Kevin Gross blocked SCO's last attempted asset sale and remarked in his ruling that the company's hopes for litigation success were like a bad remix of Waiting for Godot. Now that Darl has been axed, one wonders how long the rest of the company will continue its struggle for survival.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #292 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
More MGM Fallout: Red Dawn Delayed, Perhaps Indefinitely?
Posted on Thursday, June 10th, 2010 by Russ Fischer

MGM’s dire financial situation — the studio is now controlled by creditors rather than execs — is having a growing effect on a wide variety of films. The twenty-third Bond movie was shelved indefinitely, basically until MGM’s situation is sorted out and EON Productions can get the movie made elsewhere. Guillermo Del Toro walked away from directing The Hobbit because the studio’s troubles had extended the pre-production schedule to a length he wasn’t comfortable with, and the film’s future remains uncertain.

And now the Red Dawn remake, which has already been stirring up controversy in China, is reportedly delayed until MGM’s problems are dealt with.

The LA Times reports,

Red Dawn isn’t coming Nov. 24, as the conservative blogs have all promised. In fact, no one knows when the movie will ever be released.

The film is reportedly close to finished, but MGM is in no position to release anything at this point. What’s ironic here is that Red Dawn is probably the film that could stand to make MGM the most money right now. But if there’s no money to really finish the film, much less pay for a release, what can be done? Perhaps sell it off to another studio? Could happen, and MGM could also be back in some sort of fighting shape by the end of this year…yeah, right.

On the topic of the controversy brought up by the film (which hasn’t been shown publicly, mind you) there were strong words from a state-run Chinese paper after the script recently leaked out.

“U.S. reshoots Cold War movie to demonize China” and “American movie plants hostile seeds against China,” were the headlines last week in the Global Times, published out of Beijing. Articles went on to say that the film has roots in a deep American fear of Chinese power. “China can still feel U.S. distrust and fear, especially among its people. Americans’ suspicions about China are the best ground for the hawks to disseminate fear and doubt, which is the biggest concern with the movie ‘Red Dawn,’” went one piece.

China and the film’s producers aren’t the only irritated parties here. A New Yorker blog says “Before we begin hearing about the “hurtfeelingsoftheChinesepeople,” I would point out that this film also hurts the feelings of some American people who know we can do better than this.”

And based on the script, The Awl calls Red Dawn “probably the most unnecessary, irresponsible, Sinophobic film in America’s history, and that’s saying a lot…The film is, indeed, just a film. Or as the MGM executive I spoke with described it: “just an action film.” Nonetheless, it is a bald example of how one-dimensionally America generally, at all levels, thinks about China and Chinese people.”

So now I need to read the script. I love how, in the face of and possibly directly in response to this controversy, some conservative press is ready to embrace the film as a hard-core anti-Communist update of the original, though I have doubts that it will really take such a hard line in the final edit. The days of John Milius are (perhaps sadly) in the past.

The Hobbit and the Red Dawn remake are both on the same chopping block.  Thanks, Hollywood!  Just stomp on my dreams a little more, why don't you?!

-b0b
(...thinks it might be for the best.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #293 - Oct 22nd, 2010 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
The Hobbit Has a Cast — and a Very British One

Peter Jackson’s two-part movie of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, set to start filming in February, may not have a firm filming location — but it finally has a cast! There are still several important roles to be filled, but with Bilbo and most of the dwarves cast, Jackson’s vision is definitely starting to take shape.

Confirming many rumors that had been swirling about the production, it’s now been confirmed that Martin Freeman, probably best known to American geek audiences as Arthur Dent in the disappointing 2005 film adaptation of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and possibly his role in the British The Office, will play the title character of Bilbo Baggins. Thorin, the leader of the dwarves, will be played by Richard Armitage, who has mostly acted in British TV productions, and is probably best known to geek audiences elsewhere as Guy of Gisborne in the latest TV adaptation of the Robin Hood legend. The other actors playing dwarves that have been announced are Aidan Turner, Rob Kazinsky, Graham McTavish, John Callen, Stephen Hunter, Mark Hadlow, and Peter Hambleton. If any of those names means anything to you, that’s more than any of them does to me — they all appear to be British, Scottish or Irish, and to have appeared primarily in British TV productions.

There has yet to be official confirmation that Andy Serkis will return to play Gollum and that Ian McKellan will be back as Gandalf, though it’s difficult to imagine anyone else in the roles now. Rumors have swirled about who might play the Elven King, though most that I’d seen were that Aidan Turner would play him and he’s now cast as Kili. Other names talked about include the incomparable Stephen Fry — though I’m unsure what role he might play — and Bill Nighy, who is rumored to be the one to provide the voice of the dragon Smaug.

For my part, I want to know who’s going to play Beorn and Bard the Bowman — perhaps an American actor. I mean, Viggo Mortensen, Elijah Wood and Sean Astin are all American, and they did OK, right?

It's about time!

-b0b
(...needs his Tolkien fix!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #294 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
The Wheel of Time : Towers of Midnight

(book 13)

is out today!

*peers at Wes*

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #295 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Is this the actual final book, or did the pseudo-author end up splitting it into two books as was rumored?

-b0b
(...will read the entire thing once it is finished.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #296 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:13am
Print Post  
It is technically the final book.  Just in three parts hahah.  The guy they hired to finish the series for Robert Jordan decided that it was impossible to fit the remainder of Jordans story into one book without making it 3000 pages long.

I'll be honest though Briney.  I haven't read book 12 yet.  I'm kinda stalling till they are finished so I don't have to wait for the next one lol.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #297 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 10:15am
Print Post  
I guess I'll keep waiting, then!  It'll be interesting to see the reviews for the replacement author's work, though.

-b0b
(...meh.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #298 - Nov 2nd, 2010 at 11:49am
Print Post  
"Let your marriage be ever lasting, just like the Wheel Of Time Series"
- Me, from Briney's wedding

X
(/bows)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #299 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 1:41am
Print Post  

I wouldn't wait Wes, 12 had a great conclusion! The Gathering Storm is definitely my favorite in the series.  It's a very tightly focused book, and Sanderson did an amazing job keeping true to the series.

From what I hear 13 is basically the huge setup before the final novel, so maybe you wait on reading 13 until A Memory of Light comes out.  Instead of reading in one sitting, I am going to try to savor this one.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35
Send TopicPrint