Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 451131 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Geek News
Reply #315 - Sep 22nd, 2011 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Particles Recorded Exceeding the Speed of Light

http://io9.com/5842947/scientific-breakthrough-physicists-at-cern-have-recorded-...

Antonio Ereditato, who works at the CERN particle physics center on the Franco-Swiss border, told Reuters that measurements over three years showed the neutrinos moving 60 nanoseconds quicker than light over a distance of 730 km between Geneva and Gran Sasso, Italy.

"We have high confidence in our results. But we need other colleagues to do their tests and confirm them," he said.

If confirmed, the discovery would overturn a key part of Albert Einstein's 1905 theory of special relativity, which says that nothing in the universe can travel faster than light.

That seems like sort of a big deal, no?

-b0b
(...wonders when he can get an SRT8 with a neutrino-based engine.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #316 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
The remake of Red Dawn may finally see the light of day!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/09/red-dawn-remake-to-come-out-next-...

-b0b
(...feels like his posted nearly identical articles in years past.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #317 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Steve Jobs is dead.  I certainly didn't see that coming quite so quickly.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/10/steve-jobs-february-24-1955---october-...

I can't say I've ever been a fan of the Steve Jobs ethos, but I certainly have to admit the he's done a lot for the industry.  Apple has really shaken up the consumer IT industry over the past thirty years.

I'm going to fire up my Apple IIe emulator and play a bit of Eamon in his honor.

-b0b
(...God speed, Steve!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #318 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
TorrentFreak had a list that the MPAA gave to the government of their top 10 torrent sites:

Quote:
The MPAA’s first category includes all the major torrent sites, which the group claims are facilitating mass copyright infringement. Also in this list is the Chinese BitTorrent-based application Xunlei, which is partly owned by Google.

ThePirateBay.org
    Rutracker.org
    Kat.ph
    IsoHunt.com
    Demonoid.me
    Torrentz.eu
    Btjunkie.org
    Xunlei.com

My question is, what sites do you guys use that aren't on the list?

For weird, old, lesser known movies I go to - http://cinemageddon.net/

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #319 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
I found this article amusing and I'm sure my fellow geeks will agree.

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/07/mythbusters-cannonball-sails-through-nei...

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #320 - Dec 7th, 2011 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I love Mythbusters.  Why the hell does the sheriff's department have a "bomb disposal range" that is 700 yards from a residential neighborhood?  You'd think they'd put that out in the middle of nowhere.

-b0b
(...then again, it is California.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #321 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 10:21am
Print Post  
LOL I was wondering the same shit b0b.  I feel like 700 yards isn't even far enough away to avoid shock waves from larger bombs blowing out your windows every time they go off.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #322 - Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Quote:
IBM touts quantum computing breakthrough

Scientists at IBM Research today said they have achieved a major advance in quantum computing that will allow engineers to begin work on creating a full-scale quantum computer.

The breakthrough allowed scientists to reduce data error rates in elementary computations while maintaining the integrity of quantum mechanical properties in quantum bits of data, known as qubits.

The creation of a quantum computer would mean data processing power would be exponentially increased over what is possible with today's conventional CPUs, according to Mark Ketchen, the manager of physics of information at the IBM's TJ Watson Research Center in Yorktown Heights, NY.

More here:  http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224670/IBM_touts_quantum_computing_break...

This is an incredible breakthrough.  Quantum computing will blow away our conventional understanding of information technology, and will be second only to the Internet in terms of revolutionizing the way we use computers.

Bring on the holodeck!

-b0b
(...and Skynet?)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #323 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Often, when fans say they could have done a better job than someone perceived to have ruined the object of their devotion, it’s just a lot of hot air. Unless, of course, that fan is That 70s Show‘s Topher Grace, who recently treated a group of 50 people to a screening of his pet project: an 85-minute recut of the Star Wars prequels. You read that correctly. Topher Grace re-edited George Lucas’ three prequel films – which run a collective 418 minutes – into one, coherent, feature length film. And, apparently, it’s pretty good!

In addition to slashing the running time (and in order to make those cuts and still have a coherent storyline), Grace shifted and refocused things a little from the prequels we know and argue over. Gone is all the pod racing, unnecessary exposition and obnoxious CGI characters that clutter Episode I. Instead, Grace begins his film with the end of that one: with the final showdown between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul. He kept much of the action from Lucas’ films but eliminated any lightsaber battles unless they were relevant to the actual storylines he emphasizes, which are largely the Anakin-Padme relationship and Obi-Wan’s search for the individuals trying to assassinate politicians. Scenes like the one where Padme brings Anakin home to meet her family that were deleted from Lucas’ films but shed light on characters and relationships are reinstated. Grace provides a smooth transition to the original trilogy by ending his film on the image of the menacing Darth Vader sans that much maligned “Nooo!”

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/topher-grace-reedits-star-wars-prequels-8...

I want to watch this.  I'm holding out hope for a Pirate Bay leak!

-b0b
(...all of the good bits minus the bad bits.  What's not to love?)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #324 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
He eliminated light saber battles and focused on the padme-anakin love story?  I fail to see how thats cutting out the bad bits and keeping the good bits lol

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #325 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 10:25am
Print Post  

Quote:
Space Shuttle Discovery's Last Flight

WASHINGTON — The space shuttle Discovery, NASA's fleet leader and the world's most flown spacecraft, lifted off for the last time on Tuesday to be delivered to the Smithsonian for its permanent display.

Discovery took off atop NASA's Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, a modified Boeing 747, leaving the Kennedy Space Center in Florida at 6:58 a.m. ET, just after dawn, for Washington. The ferry flight was expected to take about three and a half hours.

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47070577/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.T41dXtUf_...

I would love to get to the Smithsonian and see the Discovery in person.  What an amazing piece of engineering...

-b0b
(...road trip!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #326 - Apr 17th, 2012 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
As a followup to the previous article:

Quote:
Former Astronaut Takes Dig At Obama, Tells Aspiring Cadet To ‘Study Russian’

Former NASA astronaut and "the first mother to fly in space” Dr. Anna Fisher took a veiled shot at President Obama and his space policies Tuesday during an interview with a local anchor at Dulles International Airport where Discovery was making its last flight before being retired at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum.

Fisher pulled a little boy named Ethan out of the crowd who was dressed up as a NASA pilot and asked him if he wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up, which he answered in the affirmative.

"Any advice for Ethan, an aspiring astronaut?” she asked her mom.

"Study Russian,” Fisher quipped, to laughter.

More here:  http://www.mediaite.com/tv/former-astronaut-takes-dig-at-obama-tells-aspiring-ca...

It hurts because it's true.

-b0b
(...such a hot burn!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #327 - May 4th, 2012 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
May the 4th be with you!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #328 - May 5th, 2012 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Gosh, I remember being so tired at the end of that day...you can see it etched on Wes' and my faces

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #329 - May 5th, 2012 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
I forgot how fat I used to be lol

YIMAIM  
IP Logged