Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165799 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #1050 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Apr 17th, 2008 at 1:51pm:
I'll give her a DNA sample...right in the eye!

I don't think it would meet the minimum sample size, sorry.

-b0b
(...zing!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1051 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Your mom thought it was more than enough!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1052 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Some good science on how RFK was not shot by Sirhan Sirhan

http://www.yahoo.com/s/861777

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1053 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A CITIZEN who watched a cop illegally park, then walk into a Chinese restaurant to wait for his food, has issued the officer a series of citizen-initiated parking violations.

Eric Bryant says he was sitting in the SanSai Japanese Grill on NW 21st and Hoyt on March 7 when he witnessed Officer Chad Stensgaard pull up and park his patrol car illegally, next to a "No Parking" sign.

Stensgaard walked into the restaurant wearing his police uniform, but did not make any arrests or citations. Instead, he turned his attention to the basketball game on television, according to Bryant. When Bryant asked Stensgaard about his vehicle, Stensgaard allegedly acknowledged being in a no-parking zone but asked Bryant, "If someone broke into your house, would you rather have the police be able to park in front of your house or have to park three blocks away and walk there?"

Bryant returned to his seat, and says shortly afterward he watched a restaurant employee hand the officer a plastic bag before he left. Unfortunately for Officer Stensgaard, Bryant had recently passed the Oregon bar exam, and decided to pursue the matter further.

"If he had acknowledged and corrected his error, we could have avoided this whole thing," says Bryant. "But instead, he kept watching basketball and told me he wasn't doing anything wrong."

Now, using ORS 153.058, Bryant—as a private citizen—has initiated violation proceedings against Officer Stensgaard. Bryant alleges Stensgaard was in violation of state statutes on illegal parking, illegal stopping, obeying parking restrictions on state highways, and illegal operation of an emergency vehicle or ambulance—the violations carry fines totaling $540.

Officer Stensgaard has received a Multnomah County summons to appear in traffic court on May 23. Meanwhile Bryant denies he is just stirring up trouble.

"Citizens should be concerned that he used his status as an officer of the law as justification for breaking the law," he says.

Stensgaard declined comment through the cops' office of public information.

Outside of the civil fines, I wonder if Officer Stensgaard will face any punishment from his superiors?  Probably not.

-b0b
(...gives Bryant a thumbs up.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1054 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=509182

Brooklyn Park police were looking for a meth lab, but they found a fish tank and the chemicals needed to maintain it.

And a few hours later, when the city sent a contractor to fix the door the police had smashed open Monday afternoon, it was obvious the city was trying to fix a mistake.
It happened while Kathy Adams was sleeping.

"And the next thing I know, a police officer is trying to get me out bed," she said.

Adams, a 54-year-old former nurse who said she suffers from a bad back caused by a patient who attacked her a few years ago, was handcuffed. So was her 49-year-old husband.

"They brought us here and said once we clear that area, you can sit down and you will not speak to each other," she said.

Police were executing a search warrant signed by Hennepin County Judge Ivy Bernhardson, who believed there was probable cause the Adams's home was a meth lab.

Berhardson, who was appointed to the bench less than a year ago, did not return KARE 11's phone calls.

"Ohmigod," Adams said as she recalled police breaking down her door and flashing the search warrant. "I just kept saying to them, 'you've got the wrong house.' "

Police soon realized that themselves.

"From a cursory view, it doesn't look like our officers did anything wrong," said Capt. Greg Roehl.

Roehl said the drug task force was acting on a tip from a subcontractor for CenterPoint Energy, who had been in the home Friday to install a hot water heater.

"He got hit with a chemical smell that he said made him light headed, feel kind of nauseous," Roehl said.

The smell was vinegar, and maybe pickling lime, which were clearly marked in a bathroom Mr. Adams uses to mix chemicals for his salt water fish tank.

"I said, 'I call it his laboratory for his fish tanks,' " Mrs. Adams said, recalling her conversation with the CenterPoint technician. "I'm looking at the fish tank talking to this guy."

Police say there was no extended investigation, just an interview with the subcontractor.

"Everything this person told us turned out to be true, with the exception of what the purpose of the lab was," Roehl said.

Adams is looking for a lawyer.

"I could say that about my neighbor - I smelled something when I went in their house," she said. "Does that make it right for them to go in there and break the door down and cuff you? I think not!"

Police say the detective who asked for the search warrant is an 8 ˝-year veteran, but he just started working in the drug task force.

CenterPoint energy maintains the home was "unsafe" and it would have been "irresponsible" for the subcontractor not to report it.

So a warrant was issued by a judge and a door was kicked in (likely during a "no knock") by police simply because some contractor smelled something funny?  The was no independent investigation on behalf of the policy, just a bad smell reported by a third party?

WTF?!

-b0b
(...hopes the judge is disbarred and the police investigator is fired.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1055 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Right, it's not the cops fault here.  If anything the senior detective got it wrong, but the officers were carrying out a legal warrant.  It was the judge who should have realized that one untrained person who smelled something does not constitute probable cause.  This judge must have been asleep when he signed off on this or just didn't care.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1056 - May 1st, 2008 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Last time they cleaned the coffee pot in our office with vinegar I smelled something funny.  I am 99% sure they are all terrorists trying to make nuclear weapons!

Come on, if you don't know the smell of vinegar you need to kill yourself.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1057 - May 1st, 2008 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Wow Spanky, that two posts about people dying...rough day?

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1058 - May 1st, 2008 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Well in my defense I have always said that prof should go to feminazi hell.  The other one, not sure where that one came from...

...most likely your mom didn't love me enough.

SNAP!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1059 - May 1st, 2008 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I think you're cranky because I asked your mom for change for that 17 cents...she thought the extra 15 cents was a tip...HA!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1060 - May 1st, 2008 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on May 1st, 2008 at 11:59am:
...most likely your mom didn't love me enough.

That's what you get for being cheap.  Anything less than $2.00 isn't going to get you a "happy ending."

-b0b
(...duh.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1061 - May 6th, 2008 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Thanks to Briney for the story.

Quote:
CCTV boom has failed to slash crime, say police

Massive investment in CCTV cameras to prevent crime in the UK has failed to have a significant impact, despite billions of pounds spent on the new technology, a senior police officer piloting a new database has warned. Only 3% of street robberies in London were solved using CCTV images, despite the fact that Britain has more security cameras than any other country in Europe.

The warning comes from the head of the Visual Images, Identifications and Detections Office (Viido) at New Scotland Yard as the force launches a series of initiatives to try to boost conviction rates using CCTV evidence. They include:

· A new database of images which is expected to use technology developed by the sports advertising industry to track and identify offenders.

· Putting images of suspects in muggings, rape and robbery cases out on the internet from next month.

· Building a national CCTV database, incorporating pictures of convicted offenders as well as unidentified suspects. The plans for this have been drawn up, but are on hold while the technology required to carry out automated searches is refined.

Link to this audio
Owen Bowcott on why CCTV is catching few criminals
Use of CCTV images for court evidence has so far been very poor, according to Detective Chief Inspector Mick Neville, the officer in charge of the Metropolitan police unit. "CCTV was originally seen as a preventative measure," Neville told the Security Document World Conference in London. "Billions of pounds has been spent on kit, but no thought has gone into how the police are going to use the images and how they will be used in court. It's been an utter fiasco: only 3% of crimes were solved by CCTV. There's no fear of CCTV. Why don't people fear it? [They think] the cameras are not working."

More training was needed for officers, he said. Often they do not want to find CCTV images "because it's hard work". Sometimes the police did not bother inquiring beyond local councils to find out whether CCTV cameras monitored a particular street incident.

"CCTV operators need feedback. If you call them back, they feel valued and are more helpful. We want to develop a career path for CCTV [police] inquirers."

The Viido unit is beginning to establish a London-wide database of images of suspects that are cross-referenced by written descriptions. Interest in the technology has been enhanced by recent police work, in which officers back-tracked through video tapes to pick out terrorist suspects. In districts where the Viido scheme is working, CCTV is now helping police in 15-20% of street robberies.

"We are [beginning] to collate images from across London," Neville said. "This has got to be balanced against any Big Brother concerns, with safeguards. The images are from thefts, robberies and more serious crimes. Possibly the [database] could be national in future."

The unit is now investigating whether it can use software - developed to track advertising during televised football games - to follow distinctive brand logos on the clothing of unidentified suspects. "Sometimes you are looking for a picture, for example, of someone with a red top and a green dragon on it," he explained. "That technology could be used to track logos." By back-tracking, officers have often found earlier pictures, for example, of suspects with their hoods down, in which they can be identified.

"We are also going to start putting out [pictures] on the internet, on the Met police website, asking 'who is this guy?'. If criminals see that CCTV works they are less likely to commit crimes."

Cheshire deputy chief constable Graham Gerrard, who chairs the CCTV working group of the Association of Chief Police Officers, told the Guardian, that it made no sense to have a national DNA and fingerprint database, but to have to approach 43 separate forces for images of suspects and offenders. A scheme called the Facial Identification National Database (Find), which began collecting offenders' images from their prison pictures and elsewhere, has been put on hold.

He said that there were discussions with biometric companies "on a regular basis" about developing the technology to search digitised databases and match suspects' images with known offenders. "Sometimes when they put their [equipment] in operational practice, it's not as wonderful as they said it would be, " he said. "I suspect [Find] has been put on hold until the technology matures. Before you can digitise every offender's image you have to make sure the lighting is right and it's a good picture. It's a major project. We are still some way from a national database. There are still ethical and technical issues to consider."

Asked about the development of a CCTV database, the office of the UK's information commissioner, Richard Thomas, said: "CCTV can play an important role in helping to prevent and detect crime. However we would expect adequate safeguards to be put in place to ensure the images are only used for crime detection purposes, stored securely and that access to images is restricted to authorised individuals. We would have concerns if CCTV images of individuals going about their daily lives were retained as part of the initiative."

The charity Victim's Voice, which supports relatives of those who have been murdered, said it supported more effective use of CCTV systems. "Our view is that anything that helps get criminals off the street and prevents crime is good," said Ed Usher, one of the organisation's trustees. "If handled properly it can be a superb preventative tool."

This outcome was clearly known before the investments of millions of dollars/pounds.  CCTV in a populace only does one thing - it gets people use to the government spying on them. 

Big Brother camera systems doesn't curb crime for one simple reason, CCTVs are just visual tools.  If you want to prosecute, sure, they're good.  However, how does seeing a few terrorists blow themselves up curb crime?  How does watching a murder happen stop that murder?  Unless someone is acting suspicious and you have police nearby constantly, then the system is useless for the claimed intended use.  Since thieves know that CCTV are there all they do is change their tactics. 

CCTV was installed in the 7/7 bombing in London and if you believe those were real terrorists like the official story says and not government agents like they really were, the cameras did nothing to stop them.  Like I said before, the only reason CCTV works is to get the citizenry use to the government in your lives, the next step...is just one household away.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1062 - May 10th, 2008 at 2:22am
Print Post  
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=133_1210305250

This guy is my hero.  Not only does he know his rights, but he also knows how to keep his composure and exercise his rights.

It's interesting to note that about the third time he asked if he was being detained, he was probably free to go (under the 4th Amendment) but I salute him for making the point for the purpose of educating us!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1063 - May 20th, 2008 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Here's a snippit I'm sure you guys will love...

Quote:
http://cbs2chicago.com/local/chicago.police.battle.2.726128.html

One answer to curbing Chicago's gun violence, according to police, is putting officers on the streets dressed in full battle gear and traveling in vehicles normally used in hostage and barricade situations.

"I think it acts as deterrent," Chicago Police Dept. Supt. Jody Weis said. "The first thought is that it's SWAT and they've backed off. I think the deterrent factor is important."

Sieg heil!

Maybe they can start a shock-and-awe bombing campaign to really show how bad-ass they are? 

What will this accomplish?  They won't intimidate anybody like that.  The criminals will just wait for the stupid trucks to leave the area.

-b0b
(...dumbasses!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1064 - May 20th, 2008 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Here's another great story from the hellhole known as Chicago...

Quote:
May 20, 2008

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

Ald. Richard Mell (33rd) is a former hunter with an arsenal of weapons that reportedly features shotguns, rifles and pistols, including a Walther PPK of James Bond fame.

But there's a problem.
» Click to enlarge image
Alderman Dick Mell
(Al Podgorski/Sun-Times file)

Mell forgot to re-register the weapons as required every year by the ordinance that he helped to pass as one of the City Council's most senior members.

So, what does an alderman do when he finds himself in violation of the law? He writes a new law. Mell has quietly introduced an ordinance that would reopen gun registration in Chicago and create a one-month amnesty for himself and other gun owners in the same predicament.

During the monthlong window, gun owners who attempted to re-register their guns between May 1, 2007, and April 1, 2008, only to be rejected on grounds the registrations had lapsed would be allowed to re-register without penalty.

"It's not just for me. It's for other people with the same problem. It's giving people who legitimately registered their guns at one time only to let it slip by a chance to come back into compliance," Mell said. "Some people didn't realize that, every year, you have to re-register your guns."

As an aldermen who helps write Chicago's gun laws, Mell acknowledged that he should have been in compliance with the re-registration requirement.

"I knew it was the law. I thought it was being done [by a staff member]. If you have a person you trust to do it and they don't do it, then it doesn't get done. I'm not gonna say it's embarrassing. I'm just gonna say I should have done it," the alderman said.

Mell said he first realized he was in violation of the re-registration requirement about a year ago. When he tried to re-register his guns belatedly, the Chicago Police Department's Gun Registration Section refused to bend the rules. Mell appealed that ruling to the city's Department of Administrative Hearings but decided to re-write the law instead."When we looked at the law, we saw the possibility of winning [the appeal] wasn't gonna happen," he said.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/958879,CST-NWS-mell20.article

Forget to register your guns in accordance with the very law you wrote?  No problem, just pass another law!

-b0b
(...weak sauce!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 102
Send TopicPrint