Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165649 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #1065 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Sieg heil in deed, bob!  Thanks for posting these stories, esp. the first one.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1066 - May 20th, 2008 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Teenager faces prosecution for calling Scientology 'cult'

A teenager is facing prosecution for using the word "cult" to describe the Church of Scientology.

The unnamed 15-year-old was served the summons by City of London police when he took part in a peaceful demonstration opposite the London headquarters of the controversial religion.

Officers confiscated a placard with the word "cult" on it from the youth, who is under 18, and a case file has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service.

A date has not yet been set for him to appear in court.

The decision to issue the summons has angered human rights activists and support groups for the victims of cults.

The incident happened during a protest against the Church of Scientology on May 10. Demonstrators from the anti-Scientology group, Anonymous, who were outside the church's £23m headquarters near St Paul's cathedral, were banned by police from describing Scientology as a cult by police because it was "abusive and insulting".

Writing on an anti-Scientology website, the teenager facing court said: "I brought a sign to the May 10th protest that said: 'Scientology is not a religion, it is a dangerous cult.'

"'Within five minutes of arriving I was told by a member of the police that I was not allowed to use that word, and that the final decision would be made by the inspector."

A policewoman later read him section five of the Public Order Act and "strongly advised" him to remove the sign. The section prohibits signs which have representations or words which are threatening, abusive or insulting.

The teenager refused to back down, quoting a 1984 high court ruling from Mr Justice Latey, in which he described the Church of Scientology as a "cult" which was "corrupt, sinister and dangerous".

After the exchange, a policewoman handed him a court summons and removed his sign.

On the website he asks for advice on how to fight the charge: "What's the likelihood I'll need a lawyer? If I do have to get one, it'll have to come out of my pocket money."

Writing on the same website, another anonymous demonstrator said: "We also protested outside another Scientology building in Tottenham Court Road which is policed by a separate force, the Metropolitan police, who have never tried to stop us using the word cult.

"We're completely peaceful protesters expressing a perfectly valid opinion. This whole thing stinks."

Liberty director, Shami Chakrabarti, said: "This barmy prosecution makes a mockery of Britain's free speech traditions.

"After criminalising the use of the word 'cult', perhaps the next step is to ban the words 'war' and 'tax' from peaceful demonstrations?"

Ian Haworth, from the Cult Information Centre which provides advice for victims of cults and their families, said: "This is an extraordinary situation. If it wasn't so serious it would be farcical. The police's job is to protect and serve. Who is being served and who is being protected in this situation? I find it very worrying.

"Scientology is well known to my organisation, and has been of great concern to me for 22 years. I get many calls from families with loved ones involved and ex-members who are in need of one form of help."

The City of London police came under fire two years ago when it emerged that more than 20 officers, ranging from constable to chief superintendent, had accepted gifts worth thousands of pounds from the Church of Scientology.

The City of London Chief Superintendent, Kevin Hurley, praised Scientology for "raising the spiritual wealth of society" during the opening
of its headquarters in 2006.

Last year a video praising Scientology emerged featuring Ken Stewart, another of the City of London's chief superintendents, although he is not a member of the group.

The group was founded by the science-fiction writer L Ron Hubbard in 1952 and espouses the idea that humans are descended from an exiled race of aliens called Thetans.

The church continues to attract controversy over claims that it separates members from their families and indoctrinates followers.

A spokeswoman for the force said today: "City of London police had received complaints about demonstrators using the words 'cult' and 'Scientology kills' during protests against the Church of Scientology.

"Following advice from the Crown Prosecution Service some demonstrators were warned verbally and in writing that their signs breached section five of the Public Order Act.

"One demonstrator continued to display a placard despite police warnings and was reported for an offence under section five. A file on the case will go to the CPS."

A CPS spokesman said no specific advice was given to police regarding the boy's placard.

"In April, prior to this demonstration, as part of our normal working relationship we gave the City of London police general advice on the law around demonstrations and religiously aggravated crime in particular.

"We did not advise on this specific case prior to the summons being issued – which the police can do without reference to us – but if we receive a file we will review it in the normal way according to the code for crown prosecutors."

I will never live in Britain...EVER!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1067 - May 20th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Wow, that's fifteen different flavors of screwed up.

-b0b
(...not enough to be Baskin Robbins, unfortunately.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1068 - May 23rd, 2008 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Link

Quote:
Police and federal agents raided 50 marijuana grow houses around Florida on Thursday, calling it "Operation D-Day."

They seized $7 million worth of pot plants, but they also kicked in the door of Noel Llorente's Opa-locka home and found nothing but bewildered homeowners.

"I was frightened for my husband because they threw him on the ground," Llorente's wife said. "I was scared.

Llorente said he was just leaving for work when unmarked cars pulled up, Drug Enforcement Administration agents jumped out, threw him down with guns drawn, handcuffed him, stormed into his home and searched for drugs.

"I asked them why they came to my house, they said a neighbor or somebody called and said I had a hydroponics lab in my house," Llorente said. "Then I asked them if a marijuana plant could grow inside my underwear drawer."

The Llorentes said they don't speak much English – they're immigrants from Cuba. They said one of the reasons they came to the U.S. was to escape oppression from the Cuban police.

Isabel Llorente said she never thought this could happen here.

"Never, because they criticize Cuba so much," she said. "I've never gone through anything like this."

She said what made it especially traumatic was not knowing if the agents were really police or imposters. She said she tried to call 911, but they wouldn't let her.

"What added salt to this injury was after the situation – house is searched, door is broken – they just walked away," the Llorentes' lawyer said. "Like, 'We're the government. We made a mistake.'"

The homeowner said he received only a minimal apology from police and federal agents.

"When I asked them about the door, they said, 'Sorry," Noel Llorente said. "When I asked them about my reputation, they said, 'Sorry.'"

So they kick down his door and terrorize his family based on nothing more than a faulty witness, but they won't even pay for the damages they caused?  That's complete baloney!

I hope the publicity brought by this article will inspire an attorney to offer their services pro bono.

I can't believe the city refused to pay him a measly $10,000.  This guy will easily be offered a $100,000 settlement the moment his attorney files suit.

-b0b
(...is seeing red.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1069 - May 23rd, 2008 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
This guy will easily be offered a $100,000 settlement the moment his attorney files suit.

Well hey...at least they will finally live the American dream...of suing someone and getting money!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1070 - May 23rd, 2008 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
This is one time where a sizable cash award would be appropriate.

-b0b
(...hates to say it, but its true.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1071 - May 27th, 2008 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Armed police raid home after mistaking Lara Croft dummy for gunman

When police spotted a gun-wielding suspect lurking in the shadows of a suburban front room, their response was swift.

Armed officers burst into the house, shouted at the owner to lie on the floor, and ordered him to surrender his weapon.

But efficiency turned to embarrassment when the "gunman" turned out to be a life-sized model of the video game character Lara Croft, complete with trademark oversized pistols.

Computer shop owner David Williams, 42, had taken the dummy home to put it up for sale on the auction site eBay.

As the source of the confusion dawned on all concerned, it might have been the moment for an apology from the police.

Instead, however, Mr Williams was taken to the cells and held for more than 13 hours before being released.

He is now on bail for a suspected firearms offense, and Lara Croft remains impounded as evidence.

This article would be hilarious if it wasn't so damn sad.  Did everyone in Britain wake up retarded one morning?

Remember, remember, the fifth of November.

-b0b
(...almost laughed.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1072 - May 28th, 2008 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
http://www.subwayfreshbuzz.com/kids/contest.aspx

Write an essay that completes one of four different stories and a chance to win $5,000.

"NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. Contest is open only to legal residents of the United States who are currently over the age of 18 and have children who attend elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted."

Well, that will be the last time I eat at Subway for awhile.

In case you wanna let Subway know how you feel about their discrimination...

http://www.subway.com/Applications/CustService/frmCustomerService.aspx

-b0b
(...bastages!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1073 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
The Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has tapped Northrop Grumman to develop binoculars that will tap the subconscious mind. The Cognitive Technology Threat Warning System program, informally called "Luke's Binoculars," combines advanced optics with electro-encephalogram electrodes that can, DARPA believes, be used to alert the wearer to a threat before the conscious mind has processed the information.

While they were considering a number of technologies for neural detections, it appears DARPA has settled on EEG. "HORNET will utilize a custom helmet equipped with electro-encephalogram electrodes placed on the scalp to record the user's continuous electrical brain activity," says Northrop. "The operator's neural responses to the presence or absence of potential threats will train the system's algorithms, which will continue to be refined over time so that the warfighter is always presented with items of relevance to his mission."

I described this project in an article last year for Wired News, when DARPA was still sifting through the concepts. The idea was to incorporate technology that detects neural patterns that indicate a possible threat -- the idea being that the subconscious mind detects threats faster than the conscious mind realizes (essentially, the binoculars bypass inhibitory reflexes). Some scientists I spoke with thought the projects was interesting -- particularly the advancements in optics and imaging -- but that neural detection technology wasn't nearly developed enough for the schedule DARPA anticipated (the agency wants to field the binoculars in just a few short years).

The most common sense challenge raised about these binocular by one scientist I spoke with was the whole issue of bypassing inhibitory reactions. Is that really something you want a soldier to do? It'll be interesting to see what the first soldiers to use these binoculars have to say about them.

This is some seriously crazy technology.  The use of "brainwaves" as an input device has advanced a lot further than I thought.  It seems like the first "brain controlled video games" were just being developed in big research labs a couple years ago, and they sucked.

-b0b
(...bets Stewie will be all over this.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1074 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I won't be scared until they can penetrate my ingenious tin foil technology.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1075 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
Hah, you said penetrate!

-b0b
(.../rofl.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1076 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
Cheering at Fort Mill graduation leads to arrests 11:20 AM

11:20 AM EDT on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

By ANN SHERIDAN / WCNC
E-mail Ann: ASheridan@WCNC.com

Two arrested at graduation

ROCK HILL, S.C. -- Most people get choked up and excited at graduation. But one family’s excitement landed them in jail. Arrested and handcuffed for cheering.

More than 500 Fort Mill High School Students graduated Saturday at Winthrop Coliseum. The audience and the graduates were told in advance that cheering during the ceremony was forbidden. They were even warned that if they did make noise, they’d be removed from the coliseum by the Rock Hill Police.

But one family says they had no idea just how far the police would go. “I think this was one time for my son to go out of his box. And it was the wrong time to do it,” said the father who asked not to be identified.

Two of his children were arrested and handcuffed by police for cheering when their sibling’s name was called.

“There was no profanity,” said the dad. “And they were both put in handcuffs,” he said.

The siblings were also slapped with a criminal charge. Four other people at the Fort Mill High Graduation were also arrested. Another man was arrested at the York Comprehensive High School commencement for cheering as well.

The father of the Fort Mill High student thinks the punishment doesn’t fit the crime. He wishes the principal had been more specific. “All he had to do is say ‘Folks, don’t yell for an individual. If you do, you’ll be prosecuted’. And if he would’ve said that, no one would have said anything,” he said.

The father would like the city to look into the matter. The siblings can enter a program for first time offenders. But they will have to pay $625, attend counseling, drug testing and perform community service.

Now that's some serious BS.  I hope they plead not guilty and fight this crap.  I wonder what kind of ridiculous charges they're being indicted for, anyway?

If I may be so bold, allow me to quote Ayn Rand...

"Did you really think that we want those laws to be observed?" said Dr. Ferris.  "We want them broken.  You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against - then you'll know that this is not the age for beautiful gestures.  We're after power and we mean it.

There's no way to rule innocent men.  The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals.  Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.  One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. 

Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens?  What's there in that for anyone?  But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers - and then you cash in on guilt. Now, that's the system, Mr. Rearden, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with."

-b0b
(...seriously, WTF?)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1077 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Do you even remember our graduation?  Yeah, some people need to STFU and sit down.  It is high school graduation not winning the lottery.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1078 - Jun 11th, 2008 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
That's very true, and I'm sure these guys could've benefited from a nice little mob beating from the other families, but arrest?  Come on, this is America!  We have a first amendment right to free speech, and that includes annoying, undesirable speech.  You can't legislate respect.

I don't even know why graduation is such a big deal.  "Good job, you've graduated from high school, just like everyone else!"

Trying to turn an average high school graduation into some sort of solemn, somber ceremony is ridiculous.  People are stupid, and they'll act stupid in public with only the slightest provocation, evil overlords notwithstanding.

-b0b
(...would just kicked 'em in the nuts and dropped the issue.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1079 - Jun 16th, 2008 at 5:04pm
Print Post  

A police officer with one hand on the hood of the car and the other on his gun warns resident Rick Blazek to back off as he tries to drive around a security checkpoint in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008. Frustrated residents expected to return to their homes today but the hazards encountered by inspection teams were deemed unsafe for the general public; it is anticipated that people will be able to retrieve items from their homes starting Tuesday.
(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

An angry resident that tried to drive around a security checkpoint is stopped by one police officer, right, while another tries to break his window to extract him in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

An angry resident that tried to drive around a security checkpoint is stopped by one police officer, right, while another tries to break his window to extract him in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008.
(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Rick Blazek, 54, is arrested by police officers after trying to drive around a security checkpoint in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008. Frustrated residents expected to return to their homes today but the hazards encountered by inspection teams were deemed unsafe for the general public; it is anticipated that people will be able to retrieve items from their homes starting Tuesday.  (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Rick Blazek, 54, is escorted to a police car after being arrested for trying to drive around a security checkpoint in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Monday, June 16, 2008. Frustrated residents expected to return to their homes today but the hazards encountered by inspection teams were deemed unsafe for the general public; it is anticipated that people will be able to retrieve items from their homes starting Tuesday.
(AP Photo/Seth Wenig)

Does anybody else think it should be illegal for the police to stop people from returning to their homes?  If I was in charge, I'd make people sign a waiver saying "We won't rescue you past this point," but I'll be damned if I'd keep them from returning to their homes.

If they want to take the risk, who am I to stop them?

-b0b
(...police state!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 102
Send TopicPrint