Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165937 times)
Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #1185 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
My XDm holds 16 + 1  Grin

Little too heavy to carry actually, not so much size that matters but the added lead really makes it heavy.

My goal is to be able to curve the bullet.  Preferably around Angelina Jolie

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1186 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
I just purchased my XD .45.  I hope to go shoot it on Sat.  I'm so excited.  200 rounds of ammo is heavy.  I'm going to go read the manual now.

X
(Mawha ha ha ha...eeeeeee!)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1187 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Spanky also has an XD in .45, although I think he got the ugly OD Green model.

Nope, mikes glock was green.  I got the all black XD.  I really like shooting my XD, though it is a touch too heavy to carry all the time.

...and hells yeah on the 1911.  If I only had the money.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1188 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Feb 27th, 2009 at 3:40pm:
I just purchased my XD .45.  I hope to go shoot it on Sat.  I'm so excited.  200 rounds of ammo is heavy.  I'm going to go read the manual now.

Congratulations!  There's nothing quite like the excitement of buying your first real pistol.  I know exactly how you feel, and just how badly you want to take that bad boy out for spin.

Where are you planning on going?  If you're looking for some range time, give me a call and we can head up to the indoor range in Battle Creek.  If you've already got plans for this weekend, I'm open next weekend too!

After spending the entire week in Chicago, I need to release some stress!

-b0b
(...just got home.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1189 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
I'll be in town in TR on Saturday, but it will be fixing the parents computer and hanging out with them for a bit.

Sunday, I'm pretty much free, esp. after church.

How about you?

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1190 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
if i could humbly ask to join you fellas if you go, I would like to learn a thing or two from folk more knowledgeable than myself.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #1191 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:52am
Print Post  
I'd be down to go as well.  Haven't shot my pistol since about October.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1192 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure how late the range is open on Sunday, but I'll find out.

-b0b
(...has to track down the number.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1193 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
It looks like they are only open until 5:00pm on Sunday.  I generally don't get out of church until 4:00pm, so that's not really going to work for me unfortunately.

http://www.southsidesportsmanclub.com/index.html

Would next Saturday work better?  Or a weekday?

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1194 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
I could probably do next Saturday.  I did go out to someone's farm today and shot my gun.  Amazing!  I know now what God feels like when He's holding His Gun!  I also shot an M-4 and a 12 gage.  My aim is horrible but for the most part I at least hit the target.

Well you know what they say on how to get better?  Practice, practice, practice!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1195 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 9:00am
Print Post  
X wrote on Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:06pm:
Well you know what they say on how to get better?  Practice, practice, practice!

It worked for Wes's mom, and it will work for you!

-b0b
(...snark.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1196 - Mar 11th, 2009 at 6:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
U.S. DISTRICT COURT
Handgun's Color Leads to Lawsuit

By Martin Weil
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 10, 2009; Page B04

A D.C. woman filed suit in U.S. District Court yesterday, claiming that the city would not let her register a pistol because of its color.

Tracey A. Hanson argued that her application to register a .45-caliber semiautomatic was denied because the gun is not on the California Safe Handgun Roster, which is the standard in the city.

Hanson tried to register a two-tone, stainless steel/black pistol, according to the suit. But the list has that model in olive drab green, dark earth or black, not in two-tone, stainless/black, the suit asserts. Hanson said rejection for that reason "seemed so arbitrary."

The lawsuit, which lists Hanson and two other people as plaintiffs, was filed by Alan Gura, who argued the Supreme Court case that overturned the city's handgun ban. Arbitrary requirements bring "nonsensical results," Gura said. The suit asks that the city be barred from enforcing gun regulations based on the California list.

Peter Nickles, the city's attorney general, said he had not seen the lawsuit and could not discuss its details.

But he said he is confident that the D.C. regulations are "completely appropriate" under the Second Amendment.

Nickles may be confident that DC's rules are completely appropriate, and I'm confident he's a complete moron.

I love how olive drab and tan are acceptable colors, but the far more common black and stainless finish isn't.  I guess this makes me love my black and stainless XD that much more!

-b0b
(...hopes Gura eviscerates DC once again.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1197 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
White House objects to UN calling US 'deadbeat'

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House is taking offense at U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's comment that the United States is a "deadbeat" donor to the world body.

Press secretary Robert Gibbs said Thursday that Ban's word choice was "unfortunate," given that the U.S. is the largest contributor to the United Nations. The U.S. pays 22 percent of the organization's 's nearly $5 billion operating budget but is perennially late paying its dues.

Ban made the "'deadbeat" comment Wednesday during a private meeting with lawmakers at the Capitol.

He had met with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office on Tuesday.

Asked whether Ban should retract his comment, Gibbs said it would be appropriate for Ban to acknowledge the American taxpayers' role.

I don't think I'm alone when I hope that our government invites Mr. Ban Ki Moon to go #^%@ himself.

We should withhold our payment entirely and then ask the UN how thankful they are for our support.  We've already sold them our sovereignty, so do they really need our tribute, too?

-b0b
(...screw the UN!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1198 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Chicago red-light cameras could snare uninsured drivers
Traffic cameras could reap millions more in fines, says Chicago Ald. Ed Burke
By Hal Dardick

In Chicago, blowing a stoplight might get you a letter, complete with a $100 fine, thanks to a red-light camera.

But that might not be the end of your photo-enforcement woes, because aldermen Monday began talking about using the city's ever-growing legion of red-light cameras to check for vehicle liability insurance.

The city could net nearly $10 million a year in fines just by citing uninsured vehicles that also get photo ticketed for a red-light violation, said Ald. Ed Burke (14th), who brought the idea to the City Council Traffic Committee.

Citing more vehicles—including those driven safely but uninsured—could net the city more than $100 million a year, added Rowland Day, executive vice president of InsureNet, a Michigan-based company that provides instant insurance verification.

Although no state or municipality uses photo-enforcement to snare the uninsured, Day said it's only a matter of time. "We are going to have three or four states signed in the next 90 days," he said.

Day pitched the idea as a way to raise money in tough economic times and make sure more vehicles are insured.

Committee Chairman Tom Allen (38th) said he generally liked the idea but also wondered if it would be hard to collect significant fines from people who perhaps could not afford insurance.

The state fine is currently $500, but the city, which would have to pass a local ordinance requiring insurance to keep fine collections, could enact a lesser fine. The committee held the proposal for further debate.

It's nice to see that Chicago is always coming up with unique ways to steal more money from its citizens.  I'd like to say that I'm shocked that Chicago would pass a new law just to keep more revenue, but it's really just another nail in the coffin.

-b0b
(...4 million nails and counting!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1199 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The U.S. Army has launched an inquiry into how and why active duty troops from Fort Rucker, Ala., came to be placed on the streets of Samson, Ala., during last week's murder spree in that tiny South Alabama community. The use of the troops was a possible violation of federal law.

“On March 10, after a report of an apparent mass murder in Samson, Ala., 22 military police soldiers from Fort Rucker, Ala., along with the provost marshal, were sent to the city of Samson,” Harvey Perritt, spokesman for the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) at Fort Monroe, Va., told CNSNews.com on Monday.

“The purpose for sending the military police, the authority for doing so, and what duties they performed is the subject of an ongoing commander’s inquiry––directed by the commanding general of U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, Gen. Martin Dempsey.”

TRADOC is the headquarters command for Ft. Rucker.

“In addition to determining the facts, this inquiry will also determine whether law, regulation and policy were followed,” Perritt added. “Until those facts are determined, it would be inappropriate to speculate or comment further.”

Jim Stromenger, a dispatcher at the Samson Police Department, confirmed the MP’s presence in the town, telling CNSNews.com that the troops “came in to help with traffic control and to secure the crime scene”––and the department was glad for the help.

“We’ve been getting a lot of calls,” Stromenger said. “They weren’t here to police, let me make that clear. They were here to help with traffic and to control the crime scene––so people wouldn’t trample all over (it).”

Stromenger said the town needed help––calls had gone out to all police departments in the area.

“We’ve only have a five-man police department,” he told CNSNews.com. “We had officers from all surrounding areas helping out. There were a lot of streets to be blocked off and there had to be someone physically there to block them off. That’s what these MPs were doing. I don’t think they were even armed. The troops helped keep nosy people away.”

But Stromenger said it wasn’t the Samson Police Department that called for the troops.

“I don’t know who called Fort Rucker. But someone did. They wouldn’t have been able to come if someone hadn’t,” he added.

Under Whose Authority?

The troops were apparently not deployed by the request of Alabama Gov. Bob Riley –– or by the request of President Obama, as required law.

When contacted by CNSNews.com, the governor’s office could not confirm that the governor had requested help from the Army, and Gov. Riley's spokesman, Todd Stacy, expressed surprise when he was told that troops had been sent to the town.

No request from President Obama, meanwhile, was issued by the White House––or the Defense Department.

Wrongful use of federal troops inside U.S. borders is a violation of several federal laws, including one known as the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, Title 18, Section 1385 of the U.S. Code.

“Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both,” the law states.

David Rittgers, legal policy analyst at the Cato Institute, said there are other laws barring use of federal troops outside of federal property, as well.

“Title 18, Section 375 of the U.S. Code is a direct restriction on military personnel, and it basically precludes any member of the army in participating in a ‘search, seizure, arrest or other similar activity, unless participation is otherwise authorized by law,’ “ Rittgers told CNSNews.com.

“The security of a crime scene is something I think that would roll up in the category of a ‘search, seizure or other activity,’” Rittgers added.

In addition, there is the Insurrection Act of 1808, as amended in 2007, (Title 10, Section 331 of the U.S. Code) under which the president can authorize troops “to restore order and enforce the laws of the United States” in an insurrection.

“Whenever there is an insurrection in any State against its government, the President may, upon the request of its legislature or of its governor if the legislature cannot be convened, call into federal service such of the militia of the other States, in the number requested by that State, and use such of the armed forces, as he considers necessary to suppress the insurrection,” the law states.

In 2007, Congress expanded the list to include “natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition” as situations for which the president can authorize troops, provided that “domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the state or possession are incapable of maintaining public order.”

Congress has been clear that the use of U.S. troops for civilian police purposes is forbidden.

“One of the statutes explicitly says that military brigs can’t even be used to detain domestic criminals,” Rittgers said. “It really is supposed to be a black and white line.”

The U.S. Department of Justice, meanwhile, would have prosecuting authority, if any violation is deemed to have occurred. The Justice Department did not comment for this story.

Alright, I can't wait to hear Stewie's thoughts on this one!

-b0b
(...tag!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 102
Send TopicPrint