Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165803 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #1290 - Dec 2nd, 2009 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sprint fed customer GPS data to cops over 8 million times

A blogger has released audio of Sprint's Electronic Surveillance Manager describing the carrier's cooperation with law enforcement. Among the revelations are that Sprint has so far filled over 8 million requests from LEOs for customer GPS data.

Christopher Soghoian, a graduate student at Indiana University's School of Informatics and Computing, has made public an audio recording of Sprint/Nextel's Electronic Surveillance Manager describing how his company has provided GPS location data about its wireless customers to law enforcement over 8 million times. That's potentially millions of Sprint/Nextel customers who not only were probably unaware that their wireless provider even had an Electronic Surveillance Department, but who certainly did not know that law enforcement offers could log into a special Sprint Web portal and, without ever having to demonstrate probable cause to a judge, gain access to geolocation logs detailing where they've been and where they are.

Through a mix of documents unearthed by Freedom of Information Act requests and the aforementioned recording, Soghoian describes how "the government routinely obtains customer records from ISPs detailing the telephone numbers dialed, text messages, emails and instant messages sent, web pages browsed, the queries submitted to search engines, and geolocation data, detailing exactly where an individual was located at a particular date and time."

The fact that federal, state, and local law enforcement can obtain communications "metadata"—URLs of sites visited, e-mail message headers, numbers dialed, GPS locations, etc.—without any real oversight or reporting requirements should be shocking, but it isn't. The courts ruled in 2005 that law enforcement doesn't need to show probable cause to obtain your physical location via the cell phone grid. All of the aforementioned metadata can be accessed with an easy-to-obtain pen register/trap & trace order. But given the volume of requests, it's hard to imagine that the courts are involved in all of these.

Soghoian's lengthy post makes at least two important points, the first of which is that there are no reliable statistics on the real volume and scope of government surveillance because such numbers are either not published (sometimes in violation of the legally mandated reporting requirements) or they contain huge gaps. The second point is that the lack of reporting makes it difficult to determine just how involved the courts actually are in all of this, in terms of whether these requests are all backed by subpoenas.

Underlying both of these issues is the fact that Sprint has made it so easy for law enforcement to gain access to customer data on a 24/7 basis through the use of its Web portal and large compliance department. Regarding the latter, here's another quote from Paul Taylor, the aforementioned Sprint/Nextel Electronic Surveillance Manager:

"In the electronic surveillance group at Sprint, I have 3 supervisors. 30 ES techs, and 15 contractors. On the subpoena compliance side, which is anything historical, stored content, stored records, is about 35 employees, maybe 4-5 supervisors, and 30 contractors. There's like 110 all together."

All of those people are there solely to serve up customer data to law enforcement, and other comments by Taylor indicate that his staff will probably grow. Sprint only recently made the GPS data available through the Web portal, and that has caused the number of requests to go through the roof. The company apparently plans on expanding the menu of surveillance options that are accessible via the Web. Taylor again:

"My major concern is the volume of requests. We have a lot of things that are automated but that's just scratching the surface. One of the things, like with our GPS tool. We turned it on the web interface for law enforcement about one year ago last month, and we just passed 8 million requests. So there is no way on earth my team could have handled 8 million requests from law enforcement, just for GPS alone. So the tool has just really caught on fire with law enforcement. They also love that it is extremely inexpensive to operate and easy, so, just [because of] the sheer volume of requests they anticipate us automating other features, and I just don't know how we'll handle the millions and millions of requests that are going to come in."

Now that's scary!

I've stuck with Centennial because I figured they were too small to pull off something this stupid, but they just got snapped up by AT&T so I guess I'm out of luck.

-b0b
(...wonders what percentage of these requests were court-approved?)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1291 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 11:23am
Print Post  
http://cryptome.org/

How will the telecom/website give your data over to law enforcement?  Are they really spying on you?

The website above is one man's collection of documentation from the likes of Yahoo!, AT&T, Sprint, etc.

Check out how you are tracked!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1292 - Dec 30th, 2009 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Here's your conspiracy theory for the day...

Quote:
Flight 253 passenger: Sharp-dressed man aided terror suspect Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab onto plane without passport
By Sheena Harrison | MLive.com
December 26, 2009, 2:22PM

A Michigan man who was aboard Northwest Airlines Flight 253 says he witnessed Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab trying to board the plane in Amsterdam without a passport.

Kurt Haskell of Newport, Mich., who posted an earlier comment about his experience, talked exclusively with MLive.com and confirmed he was on the flight by sending a picture of his boarding pass. He and his wife, Lori, were returning from a safari in Uganda when they boarded the NWA flight on Friday.

Kurt and Lori Haskell are attorneys with Haskell Law Firm in Taylor. Their expertise includes bankruptcy, family law and estate planning.

While Mutallab was poorly dressed, his friend was dressed in an expensive suit, Haskell said. He says the suited man asked ticket agents whether Mutallab could board without a passport. “The guy said, 'He's from Sudan and we do this all the time.'”

Mutallab is Nigerian. Haskell believes the man may have been trying to garner sympathy for Mutallab's lack of documents by portraying him as a Sudanese refugee.

The ticket agent referred Mutallab and his companion to her manager down the hall, and Haskell didn't see Mutallab again until after he allegedly tried to detonate an explosive on the plane.

I'm sure Stewie will have something to say about all this, but here's my venture:

-b0b
(...gotta be the G-Man.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1293 - Dec 31st, 2009 at 12:00am
Print Post  
I don't know if you read or not but because of repeated eyewitness accounts, including a Detroit lawyer, US Customs and Boarder Protection has contradicted the FBI and confirmed that a 2nd man was taken into custody.

I find it amazing no one calls people out on this BS way to gain more control over us.  "Oh we have failed completely here.  We need more money and more of your rights to protect you."

Heck we wrote the TSA a blank check after 9/11 and yet a complete system failure is still in place.  How hard is it to screen people when you are have the infrastructure in place?!  They needed the people so they hired a crap ton of them.  Yet very little training goes into them and screening the TSA is almost unheard of, heck NY allowed illegal immigrants to work for them.

I don't know about your world...but I'm almost tempted not to step outside my front door.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1294 - Jan 2nd, 2010 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Court upholds police pointing gun at lawful carrier
December 31, 6:49 AMAtlanta Gun Rights ExaminerEd StonePrevious Next 31 comments  Print  Email  RSS  Subscribe Subscribe

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Atlanta Gun Rights Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use. Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com
Terms of Use

Is this the reaction concealed carry should bring from the police? Oleg Volk, A Human RightIt's open season on gun carriers.

A case out of the First Circuit has some painful lessons for gun carriers in Georgia.  A United States Circuit Court of Appeals last week upheld the constitutionality of pointing a gun at any citizen daring to carry, lawfully, a concealed weapon in public.

The First Circuit Court of Appeals is the Court just below the United States Supreme Court in the New England states.  The case stems from a lawyer who sued a police officer after he was detained for lawfully carrying a concealed weapon while in possession of a license to carry concealed.  According to the case opinion, the lawyer, Greg Schubert, had a pistol concealed under his suit coat, and Mr. Schubert was walking in what the court described as a "high crime area."  At some point a police officer, J.B. Stern, who lived up to his last name, caught a glimpse of the attorney's pistol, and he leapt out of his patrol car "in a dynamic and explosive manner" with his gun drawn, pointing it at the attorney's face.

Officer Stern "executed a pat-frisk," and Mr. Schubert produced his license to carry a concealed weapon.  He was disarmed and ordered to stand in front of the patrol car in the hot sun.  At some point, the officer locked him in the back seat of the police car and delivered a lecture.  Officer Stern "partially Mirandized Schubert, mentioned the possibility of a criminal charge, and told Schubert that he (Stern) was the only person allowed to carry a weapon on his beat." 

For most people, this would be enough to conclude that they were being harassed for the exercise of a constitutional right, but the officer went further, seizing the attorney's pistol and leaving with it.  Officer Stern reasoned that because he could not confirm the "facially valid" license to carry, he would not permit the attorney to carry. Officer Stern drove away with the license and the firearm, leaving the attorney unarmed, dressed in a suit, and alone in what the officer himself argued was a high crime area.

The attorney sued in federal court, but the District Court threw out his suit, ruling that Officer Stern's behavior is the proper way to treat people who lawfully carry concealed pistols.  Mr. Schubert appealed, and the First Circuit upheld the District Court's ruling.  The court held that the stop was lawful and that Officer Stern "was permitted to take actions to ensure his own safety."

The court further held that the officer was entitled to confirm the validity of a "facially valid" license to carry a concealed weapon.  The problem for Officer Stern was that there is no way to do so in Massachusetts, where this incident occurred.  As a result, the court held that Officer Stern "sensibly opted to terminate the stop and release Schubert, but retain the weapon." 

Georgia is not in the First Circuit, but this case holds some harsh lessons for Georgians who exercise their right to bear arms.  Recall that in the MARTA case here in Georgia, the court held that the officer was entitled to take measures to protect himself, including disarming the person carrying, and entitled to investigate further for a half hour even after Mr. Raissi produced a Georgia firearms license.  Although the officers in that case did not actually point a gun at Mr. Raissi's face, as Officer Stern did to attorney Schubert, it is a logical conclusion that the court would have upheld the constitutionality of them doing so.  The vast majority of the cases MARTA cited in its briefs to the federal court included an officer pointing a gun at the person stopped.  In addition, carrying a concealed weapon onto the MARTA system is a felony, and no court is going to hold that an officer violated any constitutional right by pointing a gun at an armed felon.

Furthermore, it must be recalled that Georgia, like Massachussetts and the vast majority of states, has no system to confirm the validity of a Georgia firearms license.   The similarities between the MARTA federal opinion and the First Circuit opinion are startling, and the implications for Georgia are clear.

This First Circuit case is a logical extension of the MARTA case here in Georgia, and it shows what armed Georgians can expect if the General Assembly does not take action soon to correct the presumption of criminality that federal judge Thomas Thrash attached to the exercise of the right to bear arms.

Welcome to the new "right" to bear arms.

I don't get it?  When you have a licence and the officer is clearly violating your consitutional rights and state law allowing the use of concealed carry...the officer can be a dill hole?

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1295 - Jan 9th, 2010 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=72905&catid=2

Call it what you will...I'll call it slavery!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1296 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 12:48am
Print Post  
At least these guys will get the time off eventually.  Sometimes, government employees don't get paid at all, but still have to come to work.  Remember back around 1998 or so when the government "shut down" for a couple weeks because Congress couldn't pass a budget?  Most employees still had to report to work, but their paychecks didn't show up until after the budget was passed.

-b0b
(...dumb.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1297 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 2:05am
Print Post  
I wonder if anyone was fired for not reporting they could sue for wrongful termination. 

When people don't pay me, I assume they do not want me to work
Threatening to terminate is a threat to keep working for fear of punishment which is called slavery
Therefore, when they don't pay me but fire me for not supporting slavery that is wrongful termination.

I just don't know how they get away with it.  What if minors were working at these places?  They would be hit up by another govt. body and fined severely.

If I were these people...I'd come into work...but do absolutely nothing...although that might be hard to show being it is the DMV.

X
(ZING!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1298 - Jan 10th, 2010 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Yeah, my productivity would borderline on zero.

I have a feeling the state has employed their veritable army of lawyers to ensure they aren't doing anything tacitly illegal, even if it is highly immoral.  I don't understand what the DMV is trying to do anyway.  By forcing their employees to furlough every Friday, they create a need for them to work overtime on Saturday.  How does that make any sense?

-b0b
(...doesn't get it.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1299 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 5:33am
Print Post  
Please someone tell me that this is a joke, not real, made up...and Mussolini isn't back from the dead?!

Quote:
  Italy To Require Anyone Who Uploads Video To The Internet To Obtain Government Authorization

* Text size
    * Larger
    * Smaller

PseudoAnonymous
January 17, 2010

New rules to be introduced by government decree will require people who upload videos onto the Internet to obtain authorization from the Communications Ministry similar to that required by television broadcasters, drastically reducing freedom to communicate over the Web, opposition lawmakers have warned.

The decree is ostensibly an enactment of a European Union (EU) directive on product placement and is due to go into effect at the end of January after being subjected to a nonbinding appraisal by parliament.

On Thursday opposition lawmakers held a press conference in parliament to denounce the new rules — which require government authorization for the uploading of videos, give individuals who claim to have been defamed a right of reply and prevent the replay of copyright material — as a threat to freedom of expression.

“The decree subjects the transmission of images on the Web to rules typical of television and requires prior ministerial authorization, with an incredible limitation on the way the Internet currently functions,” opposition Democratic Party lawmaker Paolo Gentiloni told the press conference.

Article 4 of the decree specifies that the dissemination over the Internet “of moving pictures, whether or not accompanied by sound,” requires ministerial authorization. Critics say it will therefore apply to the Web sites of newspapers, to IPTV and to mobile TV, obliging them to take on the same status as television broadcasters.

“Italy joins the club of the censors, together with China, Iran and North Korea,” said Gentiloni’s party colleague Vincenzo Vita.

The decree was also condemned by Articolo 21, an organization dedicated to the defense of freedom of speech as enshrined in article 21 of the Italian constitution. The group said the measures resembled an earlier government attempt to crack down on bloggers by imposing on them the same obligations and responsibilities as newspapers.

* A d v e r t i s e m e n t
    * efoods

The group launched an appeal Friday entitled “Hands Off the Net,” saying the restrictive measures would mark “the end of freedom of expression on the Web.” The restrictions would prevent the recounting of the life of the Italians in moving pictures on the Internet, it said.

The decree was also criticized by Nicola D’Angelo, a commissioner in the Communications Authority, which would be likely to play a role in policing copyright violations under the new rules. The decree ran contrary to the spirit of the EU directive by extending the rules of television to online video material, D’Angelo said in a radio interview.

He also expressed concern at the requirement for government authorization for the uploading of videos to Internet. “Italy will be the only Western country in which it is necessary to have prior government permission to operate this kind of service,” he said. “This aspect reveals a democratic risk, regardless of who happens to be in power.”

Other critics described the decree as an expression of the conflict of interests of Silvio Berlusconi, who exercises political control over the state broadcaster RAI in his role as prime minister and is also the owner of Italy’s largest private broadcaster, Mediaset.

They said the new copyright regulations would prevent Internet users from sharing snippets of popular TV shows or goals from the Italian soccer league, currently viewed online by millions of people.

Mediaset has successfully sued YouTube to obtain the removal of its copyright material, in particular video from the reality show “Big Brother,” from the online video-sharing platform. A judge in a Rome civil court ordered the removal of the material last month, and the new decree is seen as providing further protection for Mediaset’s online commercial interests.

Alessandro Gilioli, who writes a blog on the Web site of the weekly magazine L’Espresso, said the decree was intended to squelch future competition for Mediaset, which was planning to move into IPTV and therefore had an interest in reducing the number of independent videos circulating on the Web.

“It’s the Berlusconi method: Kill your potential enemies while they are small. That’s why anyone doing Web TV — even from their attic at home — must get ministerial approval and fulfill a host of other bureaucratic obligations,” Gilioli wrote. He said the government was also keen to restrict the uncontrollable circulation of information over the Internet to preserve its monopoly over television news.

Paolo Romani, the deputy minister responsible for drafting the decree, insisted the text simply adopted the recommendations of the EU directive but said the government was prepared to discuss modifications. The decree did not intend to restrict freedom of information “or the possibility of expressing one’s ideas and opinions through blogs and social networks,” Romani told the ANSA news agency.

X
(That agency will be mighty busy if true)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1300 - Jan 18th, 2010 at 9:42am
Print Post  
So Italy is essentially committing economic suicide?  What a fascist cesspit.

-b0b
(...Mussolini indeed!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1301 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 8:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
Seven Crimes That Will Get You a Smaller Fine than File-Sharing

Prefix Magazine

Thinking about file-sharing? Don't. You'll get fined, and crime doesn't pay (unless you rob banks and/or armored cars, then it pays very well). Take it from Jammie Thomas, who was fined $2 million for downloading 24 songs, or anyone else who tried to fight the RIAA.

Instead, try another crime, because plenty of them draw far lighter penalties than downloading Jason Mraz's latest. Thanks to the Mechanics blog at Gapers Block, here are seven crimes that will get you smaller fines than file-sharing:

1. Child abduction: the fine is only like $25000.

2. Stealing the actual CD: the fine is $2,500

3. Rob your neighbor: the fine is $375,000

4. Burn a house down: The fine is just over $375,000

5. Stalk someone: The fine is $175,000

6. Start a dogfighting ring: the fine is $50,000

7. Murder someone: The maximum penalty is only $25,000 and 15 years in jail, and depending on your yearly salary, would probably be far slighter a penalty that $2 million.

Seriously, murdering someone will result in a lighter overall penalty than downloading a bunch of songs and getting caught. Granted, you don't get shivved in the showers at home, but still. [via Daily Swarm] 

Got to start making my hit list now I guess.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1302 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Note:  Video contains NSFW language.

Quote:
On March 31st, NUMMI, the UAW-represented joint venture between Toyota and General Motors, will be closing its doors in California, throwing another 4,700 United Auto Workers out of work.

With 80% of the UAW members upset with their union, this past Sunday, the UAW held a membership meeting that turned into a shouting match between rank-and-file members and their union leadership.

At one point, one UAW leader (identified as Javier Contreras) yelled at the crowd, telling them to “…Shut the f*ck up, you motherf*ckers!…”

Things got so bad, that UAW leaders had to call the police to restore order.

Stay classy, UAW!

-b0b
(...is at a loss for words.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1303 - Jan 30th, 2010 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Yes, this is a real news story.  No, it is not from The Onion.  Yes, that is the constitution you hear burning.

Quote:
Justice Dept.: Obama administration may take action on BCS

WASHINGTON (AP) –– The Obama administration is considering several steps that would review the legality of the controversial Bowl Championship Series, the Justice Department said in a letter Friday to a senator who had asked for an antitrust review.

In the letter to Sen. Orrin Hatch, obtained by The Associated Press, Assistant Attorney General Ronald Weich wrote that the Justice Department is reviewing Hatch's request and other materials to determine whether to open an investigation into whether the BCS violates antitrust laws.

"Importantly, and in addition, the administration also is exploring other options that might be available to address concerns with the college football postseason," Weich wrote, including asking the Federal Trade Commission to review the legality of the BCS under consumer protection laws.

Several lawmakers and many critics want the BCS to switch to a playoff system, rather than the ratings system it uses to determine the teams that play in the championship game.

"The administration shares your belief that the current lack of a college football national championship playoff with respect to the highest division of college football ... raises important questions affecting millions of fans, colleges and universities, players and other interested parties," Weich wrote.

Weich made note of the fact that President Barack Obama, before he was sworn in, had stated his preference for a playoff system. In 2008, Obama said he was going to "to throw my weight around a little bit" to nudge college football toward a playoff system, a point that Hatch stressed when he urged Obama last fall to ask the department to investigate the BCS.

Weich said that other options include encouraging the NCAA to take control of the college football postseason; asking a governmental or non-governmental commission to review the costs, benefits and feasibility of a playoff system; and legislative efforts aimed at prompting a switch to a playoff system.

Weich noted that several undefeated teams have not had a chance to play for the national championship, including TCU and Boise State this year and Utah last year.

"This seemingly discriminatory action with regard to revenues and access have raised questions regarding whether the BCS potentially runs afoul of the nation's antitrust laws," he wrote.

Hatch, a Utah Republican, was steamed that his home state team was deprived of getting a chance to play for the title last year.

"I'm encouraged by the administration's response," he said in a statement. "I continue to believe there are antitrust issues the administration should explore, but I'm heartened by its willingness to consider alternative approaches to confront the tremendous inequities in the BCS that favor one set of schools over others. The current system runs counter to basic fairness that every family tries to instill in their children from the day they are born."

Under the BCS, the champions of six conference have automatic bids to play in top-tier bowl games, while the other conferences don't. Those six conferences also receive more money than the other conferences, although the BCS announced this week that the ones that don't have automatic bids will receive a record $24 million from this year's bowl games.

Bill Hancock, executive director of the BCS, said that officials there would need more time to review the letter before commenting on it. He did say, "We're confident that the BCS structure complies with the laws of the country."

"The consensus of the schools is to go with the BCS," Hancock added. "We feel strongly the people in higher education are the people best equipped to manage college football."

So that's where we're at now, huh?

The President of the United Frickin' States is spending his time on football?

I can't...

Why the...

*Head Asplode*

Is he just trying to make people dislike him now?  Maybe he could punch a baby during the Superbowl half-time show.

-b0b
(...thinks this is a real WTF if he ever saw one.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1304 - Jan 31st, 2010 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Actually...if he had the balls to punch a baby during the half time show...I might have a little respect for him.

*Obama punches baby*

Me: "Dang, I better watch my back...that was hardcore."

X
(cries a little)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 102
Send TopicPrint