Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165714 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #1395 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 6:25am
Print Post  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1396 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 9:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
Calif court: Cops can search texts without warrant
Comments 0
January 05, 2011 7:28 AM

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The California Supreme Court has ruled that police do not need a warrant to search a cell phone carried by someone under arrest.

The justices ruled Monday that a Ventura County deputy had the right to conduct a warrantless search of the text messages of a man he had arrested on suspicion of participating in a drug deal.

The state court ruled 5-2 that federal precedent affirms that police can search items found on defendants when they are arrested.

This isn't really an option for most cell phones, but make sure you encrypt everything else you've got, especially if it is portable!  For laptops and desktop computers, nothing beats full-drive encryption.

-b0b
(...because you can't trust the criminal justice system.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1397 - Jan 5th, 2011 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
(...because you can't trust the criminal justice system.)

As a member of the CJS...I approve this message.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1398 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 6:27am
Print Post  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1399 - Jan 13th, 2011 at 9:19am
Print Post  
B...b...but...but...Sarah Palin's name is around this incident...how can she NOT be involved?

Like violent video games and bad music caused school shootings!

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1400 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 6:14am
Print Post  
Looking for advice.

So I'm ready to soon purchase an AR-15 M4 model.  I've been reading and looking on cheaperthandirt.com.  It seems like the best would be a smaller barrel with a detachable carry handle (for a seperate purchase of a scope).  Would anyone else agree with this or can recommend something different?

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1401 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Neato! I also am looking, so I am excited to see if we have a local AR15 expert on the forums. I wonder...

~Briney

(...ponders)

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1402 - Jan 21st, 2011 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Ya and I want an optic sight but I can buy another AR-15 for the price of it so I'll want to get a standard scope then.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1403 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Buying an AR is somewhat like buying a car.  There are a ton of manufacturers, several basic styles, and a ridiculous number of options and accessories.

I've got a few ARs now and I'm still looking at adding one more (always one more!) sometime soon.  I guess I would recommend shooting a couple to find out what works best for you guys.  Are you looking for a light "tactical" AR with a short-barrel?  These are often called CQB (close quarters battle) guns because the short barrel and light weight makes them well-suited for urban environments. If you're planning on doing any competitive shooting that involves "room clearing" exercises, this is a good fit.

Of course, there's also an appeal to heavier, longer-barreled ARs.  The heavier the gun, the lower the recoil.  The longer the barrel, the more accurate the gun will be.  For my next AR, I'm really aiming for a heavy, long-barreled beast that I can put a decent scope on.

There are several good manufacturers to choose from.  Bushmaster is my personal favorite.  They offer one of the largest varieties of platforms, options, and accessories on the market and they've got great customer service.  DPMS is another big manufacturer, and they have the best "build-your-own" website I've seen yet.  Give it a spin.  Rock River Arms also makes a fine AR, and they've been in the business for years.

Once you guys decide what type of AR you're looking for, let me know and I'll get more specific about my recommendations!

-b0b
(...thinks some shootin' is in order.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1404 - Jan 31st, 2011 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Thought this was a good list.  Any thoughts?

Quote:
Unfortunately many Americans will never start to prepare until it is far too late.

10 Things That The Egypt Riots Can Teach Us About What Happens When Society Breaks Down:

But for the rest of us that are willing to learn, there are some things that have happened during these Egypt riots that are important lessons for all of us….

#1 When society breaks down, people look for whatever weapons they can find.  Over this past week, abandoned police stations throughout Egypt have been stripped of their arsenals by looters.

#2 When society breaks down, nobody is safe.  Average Egyptians “armed with sticks and razors” have formed vigilante groups to protect their homes from the crazed looters that have emerged during the rioting.

#3 When society breaks down, you better protect your women and children.  At least 60 rapes have been officially reported since the rioting began.  The unofficial number is surely far higher than that.

#4 When society breaks down, criminals do not fear the law.  There are reports that at least 4 prisons have been attacked and that thousands of convicts have escaped into the streets.

#5 When society breaks down, authoritarian governments begin hoarding food.  The Telegraph is reporting that governments throughout the Middle East and North Africa have started stockpiling huge amounts of food in response to all the rioting that has been going on.

#6 When society breaks down, food shortages can happen shockingly fast.  As commerce has been brought to a standstill in Egypt, serious shortages of some of the most important basic food staples are starting to be reported.  Many families in Egypt only have enough food to be able to survive for a couple more days.

#7 When society breaks down, respect for personal property goes out the window.  All over Egypt shops and businesses are being broken into and totally looted.

#8 When society breaks down, mobs will start doing some of the most stupid things imaginable.  According to Egypt’s top archaeologist, Zahi Hawass, looters broke into the Egyptian Museum during the rioting “and destroyed two pharaonic mummies”.

#9 When society breaks down, it always creates a “power void”.  The Obama administration is calling for an “orderly transition of power” in Egypt, but there is absolutely no guarantee that is going to happen – especially in a nation that has no history of legitimate democracy.

#10 When society breaks down, often outside influences are involved.  The individual being touted as the new “leader” of the protest movement in Egypt is Mohamed ElBaradei.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1405 - Feb 2nd, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
b0b wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:10pm:
There are several good manufacturers to choose from.  Bushmaster is my personal favorite.  They offer one of the largest varieties of platforms, options, and accessories on the market and they've got great customer service.  DPMS is another big manufacturer, and they have the best "build-your-own" website I've seen yet.  Give it a spin.  Rock River Arms also makes a fine AR, and they've been in the business for years.

Basically I'm looking for the AR-15 M-4 model with varying butt-stock with the possibility of a removable  carrying handle for the mounting of a scope.  I was thinking my first one to be a tactical model so about a 14-16" barrel.  Also I want it to be the .223/5.56 caliber one.  The problem is that it seems none of the sights you listed shows that classical style that is very easy to recognize as an AR-15 M-4.  Any help there?

Also, what would you suggest for a longer distance rifle?  Maybe not the AR-15?  Would you suggest another type of weapon?

Thanks!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1406 - Feb 4th, 2011 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
"When a computer scientist in North Carolina petitioned the state for a new traffic signal in his neighborhood, a transportation official replied with a complaint about what 'appears to be engineering-level work' done by someone who is not licensed as a professional engineer."

Kevin Lacy, chief traffic engineer for the state DOT, and the one who filed a complaint with the N.C. Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors, protested that in trying to have Computer Scientist David Cox investigated for his detailed complaint about a traffic intersection while not licensed as a professional engineer, "I'm not trying to hush him up."

More here:  http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/02/03/964781/citizen-activist-grates-on-state.h...

The moral of the story, gentleman, is that interacting with your government is dangerous.

-b0b
(...beware the sleeping dragon!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #1407 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
RRA is a great retailer. (Or so I've heard)
http://www.rockriverarms.com/
You can call them and order your AR however you want. They list the basic parts(left side navigation) as well if you are interested in building one yourself. I wish I would have built mine.

If you want your AR for ranges 0-50 yards, get a red dot. EOtech, burris, or aimpoint all make good models. I got my red dot at On Target when I purchased my AR. This is the one I picked up used $110. It's ok, nothing fancy. http://www.burrisoptics.com/xts135.html
The rifle I picked up is the Remington R-15 with collapsible stock and 16" barrel. It's more of a predator rifle but I put a lot of rounds through it.

For a longer range rifle(and I mean LONG RANGE), I have the Remington 700 XCR TLR in a .300 Win Mag.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/centerfire-tactical/model-70...
The scope is a cheaper $300 model which I want to upgrade but I haven't shot past 250 yards yet. Not sure if I need to.

An AR-15 will shoot 250 yards easy with the proper optics. Oh and with the carry handle thing you're talking about, you can carry a gun by it's scope if you get good solid rings for it. It'll be fine.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1408 - Feb 11th, 2011 at 3:31pm
Print Post  

Congratulations, Egypt.  Now...do something with it...and quick...before the military starts liking their new power!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1409 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 11:10am
Print Post  
It's about time!