Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 166007 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #675 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
San Francisco Lawmaker Wants Blue Angels Grounded During Fleet Week

Tue, 12 Jun '07

Critics Include Anti-War Groups Who Cite Safety, Pro-Military Message

What would San Francisco's annual Fleet Week be, without a performance by the US Navy Blue Angels aerial demonostration team? A city official wants to find out.

The San Francisco Examiner reports Supervisor Chris Daly, with help from such groups as CodePink, Global Exchange and Veterans For Peace, is pushing for a Board of Supervisors resolution to ground the annual performance, calling it "dangerous and unnecessary."

Perhaps not surprisingly, critics of the performances point to the April crash of a Blue Angels performer at an air show in Beaufort, SC as "proof" the shows are dangerous. Paul Cox, a Vietnam veteran and member of Veterans for Peace, says the slightest miscalculation or mechanical problem could cause a plane to "go barreling into the Golden Gate Bridge or a high-rise and cause a significant amount of damage."

Cox, along with other members of the group, is also opposed to the pro-military theme of the show, and the fact the Blue Angels are a recruiting tool for the Navy. He also says the performances cause "noise pollution."

CodePink, a women-for-peace group, has started an online petition calling for city leaders to end the flyovers, citing concerns with public safety, pollution and fuel usage. The Examiner reports as of last week, about 500 people had signed the petition.

Despite those points and protests, the Blue Angels performances are a popular draw at Fleet Week and the 34 other locations the Blues have scheduled throughout the US this year alone. In 2006, more than 15 million spectators watched the team perform, including well over one million in the Bay Area alone.

Edward Leonard, chairman of the San Francisco Fleet Week Committee, notes in 2004 -- when the Blue Angels did not make an appearance -- attendance to the weeklong Fleet Week event dropped by more than 50 percent.

"We think it's safe," said Leonard, on questions about the safety of the Blue Angels performances. Leonard notes the Blues must receive approval from the FAA prior to each performance, and the more complex maneuvers are conducted over Bay waters.

Plus, he adds, "commercial airlines fly over the city all the time."

Daly's resolution calling for an end to Blue Angels performances over The City By The Bay may be introduced this week. The non-binding document wouldn't carry any legal weight, but it would present the Board's view on the issue -- and "We can then take the next steps we have to legally stop them," Daly told the Examiner.

This year's Fleet Week activities are scheduled for October 4-9.

Yeah, this is what lawmakers should be spending their time on.

I think it's time to pull out of San Francisco.

-b0b
(...bomb the harbor!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #676 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Ya because this is an easy thing to pass.  Now if they could only curb illegal immigration, drugs, AIDS, murders, power outages, forrest fires, and succeeding from the rest of us less crazy states...they'd be good.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #677 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Here's Ron Paul's bill to abolish the Federal Reserve.  Let's see how well it does...we all know Bushy is going to veto it if it gets that far:

Quote:
Federal Reserve Board Abolition Act (Introduced in House)

HR 2755 IH

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 2755

To abolish the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks, to repeal the Federal Reserve Act, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

June 15, 2007

Mr. PAUL introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Financial Services

A BILL

To abolish the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks, to repeal the Federal Reserve Act, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Federal Reserve Board Abolition Act'.

SEC. 2. FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD ABOLISHED.

(a) In General- Effective at the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and each Federal reserve bank are hereby abolished.

(b) Repeal of Federal Reserve Act- Effective at the end of the 1-year period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, the Federal Reserve Act is hereby repealed.

(c) Disposition of Affairs-

(1) MANAGEMENT DURING DISSOLUTION PERIOD- During the 1-year period referred to in subsection (a), the Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System--

(A) shall, for the sole purpose of winding up the affairs of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks--

(i) manage the employees of the Board and each such bank and provide for the payment of compensation and benefits of any such employee which accrue before the position of such employee is abolished; and

(ii) manage the assets and liabilities of the Board and each such bank until such assets and liabilities are liquidated or assumed by the Secretary of the Treasury in accordance with this subsection; and

(B) may take such other action as may be necessary, subject to the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury, to wind up the affairs of the Board and the Federal reserve banks.

(2) LIQUIDATION OF ASSETS-

(A) IN GENERAL- The Director of the Office of Management and Budget shall liquidate all assets of the Board and the Federal reserve banks in an orderly manner so as to achieve as expeditious a liquidation as may be practical while maximizing the return to the Treasury.

(B) TRANSFER TO TREASURY- After satisfying all claims against the Board and any Federal reserve bank which are accepted by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget and redeeming the stock of such banks, the net proceeds of the liquidation under subparagraph (A) shall be transferred to the Secretary of the Treasury and deposited in the General Fund of the Treasury.

(3) ASSUMPTION OF LIABILITIES- All outstanding liabilities of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Federal reserve banks at the time such entities are abolished, including any liability for retirement and other benefits for former officers and employees of the Board or any such bank in accordance with employee retirement and benefit programs of the Board and any such bank, shall become the liability of the Secretary of the Treasury and shall be paid from amounts deposited in the general fund pursuant to paragraph (2) which are hereby appropriated for such purpose until all such liabilities are satisfied.

(d) Report- At the end of the 18-month period beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of the Treasury and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget shall submit a joint report to the Congress containing a detailed description of the actions taken to implement this Act and any actions or issues relating to such implementation that remain uncompleted or unresolved as of the date of the report.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #678 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
The bill was referred to the Financial Services Subcommittee.  If it gets even two votes for referral to Congress as a whole, I'll be incredibly surprised.

-b0b
(...would love to see it debated on the floor, though.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #679 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
I agree Bob...just think how much research people would have to do to find out just a little bit of what the feds do in secret.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #680 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Although I agree with the basic premise of the bill, I think it may be lacking in a few key areas.  Having worked in the banking industry, I'm wondering what Ron Paul will do to assist in the handover of responsibilities.  If the Fed is dissolved, what agency will be responsible for regulating national banks?  That responsibility currently belongs to the OCC (Office of the Comptroller of Currency) which is a branch of the Federal Reserve.  Will this branch remain intact, or will it disappear with the Fed?

Although I don't agree with many OCC policies and I'd like to see certain banking regulations repealed (especially Suspicious Activity Reporting, or SARs), there is an undeniable need for governmental oversight of financial institutions.  I'd really like to see states take over responsibility for all banks within their territory (instead of just state banks), but that would require years of work and couldn't possibly be done in twelve months.  Financial institutions are some of the most ruthless corporations on the face of the planet, and therefore one of the most heavily regulated, and I would never trust my money to an institution that didn't have some sort of regulatory oversight.

-b0b
(...sorry.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #681 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I think Paul wants to turn all of it over to the Congress...again.  Congress gave up most of their money rights in the 1913 take over of Amerika.  So I believe he would want us to take over the OCC.

I agree that the states should take a big part over the banks and even local governments.  This would limit much of the power the banks have over us.  What's that banks?  You want to raise the monthly rates because some people aren't using their credit cards enough?  BAM states say no to you!  You want to give illegal immigrants credit cards with no proof of ID?  Local government say unt uhhh!

Quote:
that would require years of work and couldn't possibly be done in twelve months

As the old adage goes...good enough for government work.  Paul is ok with tranitional times in most areas.  For example, he wants to get rid of a lot of welfare.  But he knows they you jut can't take it away from people all at once so he would be willing to gradually do it.  I think this might apply here.  However, I can tell you that if Paul gets his way...we won't have to pay income tax again.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #682 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
I am a strong believer we should eliminate welfare, it's the few rotten millions that spoiled it for the rest...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #683 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Another problem with dissolving the Fed that comes to mind is the huge backlash that would likely hit US currency when the rest of the world sees our plan.  The drop in confidence that would occur when the US makes such a significant change to their banking system would be huge, if not catastrophic.

I think Ron Paul has a great idea, but he needs to break down the transition process into smaller, more manageable phases.  His legislation should include language to that effect and a solid road map should be included in the bill.  I think Iraq had taught us the importance of figuring out what you're going to do before you get started.

-b0b
(...cheers for Ron Paul.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #684 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I have to agree with you.  By Congress taking back control of the dollar we would only strengthen our dollar.  Instead of the 2 cents it's worth today.  The next step would have to be getting out T-bills back from places like China and Japan.

Plus you have to realize that this is only a one page bill.  I'm sure we'd see a bunch of amendments added to it.  Ya know...like Congress is suppose to do...expect not "$50 million for the study of old people masturbation habits" or "trout fishing tourism".

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #685 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I was watching a news broadcast the other day about "Pork Amendments" that had been added on to last year's transportation bill.  Some of the things we spent money on (and the way they were hidden) was absolutely ridiculous.

We spent $250,000 to renovate a privately-owned ski lift at a ski resort.  We spent $2.5 million to extend a runway at a municipal airport so executive jets could land there, even though only 4-6 aircraft land their per day, and none of them that were seen during a week of watching needed the longer runway.

If I were President, I'd veto every single bill that had any kind of pork attached to it.  I don't care if federally-funded freeways go into disrepair because the Transportation Bill was shot down.  Remove the pork, or override my veto.

-b0b
(...hopes we get a president with some cajones.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #686 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 9:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
FBI to restrict student freedoms

Press Esc | June 24, 2007

US university students will not be able to work late at the campus, travel abroad, show interest in their colleagues' work, have friends outside the United States, engage in independent research, or make extra money without the prior consent of the authorities, according to a set of guidelines given to administrators by the FBI.

Federal agents are visiting some of the New England's top universities, including MIT, Boston College, and the University of Massachusetts, to warn university heads about the dangers of foreign spies and terrorists stealing sensitive academic research.

FBI is offering to brief faculty, students and staff on what it calls "espionage indicators" aimed at identifying foreign agents.

Unexplained affluence, failing to report overseas travel, showing unusual interest in information outside the job scope, keeping unusual work hours, unreported contacts with foreign nationals, unreported contact with foreign government, military, or intelligence officials, attempting to gain new accesses without the need to know, and unexplained absences are all considered potential espionage indicators.

Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to monitor their colleagues for signs of suspicious behaviour and report any concerns to the FBI or the military.

"What we're most concerned about are those things that are not classified being developed by MIT [Massachusetts Institute of Technology], Worcester Polytech [Worcester Polytechnic Institute] and other universities," Warren Bamford, special agent in charge of the FBI's Boston office, told the Boston Herald. "It's to make sure these institutions receive training...[on] what spies look for. There are hundreds of projects going on that could be useful to a foreign power."

"My understanding is that what the FBI is proposing is not illegal, but it does raise questions about the chilling effect in regard to academia,"Chris Ott, Communications Manager of the ACLU of Massachusetts told WSWS . "What will it mean about feeling free to pursue information? People on the campuses will be afraid to ask questions or take on the investigation of certain areas, say, for example, nuclear energy. "

University administrators have expressed their appreciation of FBI efforts.

"It was a very nice offer," Robert A. Weygand, vice president for administration and a former Rhode Island congressman told the Boston Herald. "We are taking it under consideration."

Last year the FBI initiated the College and University Security Effort (CAUSE), in order to establish an "alliance" between the Federal agency and academic institutions.

According to the FBI, through CAUSE, Special Agents in charge meet with the heads of local colleges to discuss national security issues and to share information and ideas.

This makes no sense whatsoever.  How would not allowing college students to do any of these things "without the permission of MINE FUHERER!" would prevent terrorism.  If they are concerned about certain people being terrorists...then why not kick them out of the country or...ya know...do something logical?

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #687 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
www.techdirt.com/articles/20070621/004352.shtml

NBC Exec: Think Of The Poor Corn Farmers Hurt By Movie Piracy
from the wait,-are-these-guys-serious? dept

NBC/Universal's general counsel Rick Cotton must just be trying to push his anti-piracy comments to absurd levels to see just how much he can get away with. We'd already written about his completely unsupportable statements on how law enforcement needs to spend less on traditional crime and focus more on piracy and counterfeiting. We also covered the highly problematic suggestion he made to the FCC that it force ISPs to monitor their traffic for any unauthorized material (complete with more bogus stats). However, as more people dig through that FCC filing there are some amazing quotes that really suggest that Cotton and NBC/Universal have no connection to reality with these pleas. Public Knowledge picks up on NBC's showy concern for the American farmer:

"In the absence of movie piracy, video retailers would sell and rent more titles. Movie theatres would sell more tickets and popcorn. Corn growers would earn greater profits and buy more farm equipment."

There are all sorts of problems with this statement. As Public Knowledge points out, first off, movie theaters are doing great this year, suggesting the big "threat" of piracy had a lot less to do with its troubles than the fact that it just didn't have that many compelling movies the past few years. Also, corn farmers are doing quite well (and people still eat popcorn at home while watching pirated movies). Of course, that doesn't really matter. What's key here is that if Cotton and NBC actually believe this logic, then they don't deserve to be in business. By the very same reasoning, I could say "If all movies were pirated, then everyone would have that additional money they didn't spend on movies to spend on things like fancy dinners. Restaurants would be more crowded. Farmers would make more money by being able to sell more profitable food at higher prices." See how easy it is? It's also completely bogus, but it's just as accurate as Cotton's statement on the corn farmers. To suggest that the ripple effects don't ripple in other directions isn't just misleading, it's dangerously wrong. Of course, knowing how the entertainment industry works, next thing you know, they'll be demanding a cut of the profits corn farmers make, since, after all they're "profiting off the backs of the movie industry" without paying the industry for the benefit.

This might be the most ignorant thing I've ever read.  If not, it's pretty freakin' close!

-b0b
(...sighs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #688 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:31am
Print Post  
You can tell that guy has never taken a philosophy class...or taken a standardized test and passed.

Foot is to show and hand is to ____ (douchebag's answer) PIRACY!!!

I think he's wrong...in the absence of sucky movies! people would go see and rent more movies.  Not to mention...what about all the people that rent from Netflix and online movie rentals.  Aren't they, and me, screwing you over by letting the mailman, who spends no less gas to deliver the movies hurt the corn farmers.  So really...the MPAA should go after the federal government, via the Post Officer, dealing with piracy.

HOWEVER...since the federal government subsidized A LOT of farmers including corn farmers the government could sue it self and counter sue itself for conspiracy to not protect its own copyright system.  Thereby emploding the federal government and disbanding the patent/copyright system!

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #689 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Court: Protecting trade secrets takes priority over election transparency

By Ryan Paul | Published: June 25, 2007 - 08:26AM CT

A Florida appeals court has upheld a lower court decision that denies requests for an independent source code audit of voting machines used by Florida's 13th district, which suffered election irregularities in a highly controversial congressional race. The appeals court has chosen to support a lower court decision which asserts that forcing voting machine maker Election Systems and Software (ES&S) to provide source code access to independent security auditors would amount to "gutting the protections afforded those who own trade secrets."

It all started when candidate Christine Jennings lost to Rep. Vern Buchanan by only 368 votes in a House race last year, the slimmest margin of any congressional race in the country. Irregularities in the election, particularly high undervote rates, caused Jennings to express doubts about the validity of the outcome. During the election, approximately 15 percent (or 18,000) of the total ballots cast in the district did not include a vote in the disputed race. By comparison, the absentee ballots in the same district and regular paper ballots used in neighboring districts only exhibit a 2 percent undervote rate for congressional races. The high undervote rates have been attributed to the ES&S iVotronic machines used in the 13th district.

Although efforts to get the state to force ES&S to submit to additional independent code audits have failed, a bipartisan congressional task force working closely with the Government Accountability Office is actively scrutinizing the circumstances surrounding election irregularities in Florida's 13th district, and may decide to subpoena ES&S. The congressional task force plans to issue a progress report late next month, but the entire investigation is expected to last until September.

Could the iVotronic systems be responsible for the voting irregularities? A growing body of evidence indicates that electronic voting machines, particularly those that use touch-screens, lead to higher undervote rates. Touch-screen voting machines made by major vendors also frequently exhibit serious technical flaws and poor reliability. In response to widespread voting machine problems, Florida governor Charlie Crist is encouraging the state legislature to pass a law that would prevent districts from buying most kinds of touch-screen voting machines.

A bill that was approved by the House Committee on Administration last month includes source code disclosure requirements which stipulate that voting machine makers would be required to disclose their code to independent third-party auditors who may be required to sign nondisclosure agreements. As Tim Lee pointed out in his article on the subject last month, independent code audit requirements are important for election transparency, but nondisclosure agreements would prevent broad public analysis of source code and could potentially be used to intimidate security analysts. Considering the high level of vulnerability exhibited by mainstream electronic voting technology, Congress needs to do all that it can to help the states protect themselves from faulty products.

This is complete and utter bullsh*t!  When the most important thing in a representative republic is the voting booth there should be EVERY precaution to make sure it is done perfectly.  I hope these voting machine companies were being sued and it goes up to the SCOTUS.

X
(despicable)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 102
Send TopicPrint