Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165893 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #930 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
I just think that TorrentSpy was just following the example set by the White House.  If they can destroy evidence and say "Trust me...nothing improper was done and it's not like we found out that Saudi Arabia was involved in terrorist activity against the US or anything *shifty eyes*".

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #931 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
TorrentSpy should have known better.  The official White House motto is "Do as I say, not as I do."

-b0b
(...same thing with Downing Street.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #932 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:09am
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071221/ap_on_bi_ge/fed_credit_crisis
Quote:
The Federal Reserve, working to combat the effects of a severe credit crunch, announced Friday it had auctioned another $20 billion in funds to commercial banks at an interest rate of 4.67 percent. Fed officials pledged to continue with the auctions "for as long as necessary."

The central bank said it had received bids for $57.7 billion worth of loans, nearly three times the amount being offered, indicating continued strong interest in the Fed's new approach to providing money to cash-strapped banks.

It was the second of four scheduled auctions. The first auction, on Monday, of $20 billion resulted in loans being awarded at an interest rate of 4.65 percent. There were 93 bidders seeking $63.6 billion at the first auction and 73 at the second.

Two more auctions will occur in early January. In a statement Friday, the central bank said it would continue with further auctions "for as long as necessary to address elevated pressures in short-term funding markets."

Quote:
The global credit crisis has made banks reluctant to lend to each other even as the Fed has been lowering its federal funds rate, the interest that banks charge each other for overnight loans.

The rate currently stands at 4.25 percent, a full percentage point lower than it was in September when the Fed began slashing rates in the wake of a severe credit squeeze that had roiled global markets in August.

.... I really had no idea there was so much cross loaning going on. This really is quite insane to me. So these banks are borrowing money cause they are low, so they can loan money out to people at higher interest rates. These people then default on house payment or something and cant pay back loan, bank seizes house, then cant sell it back...

Is the entire world just living on borrowed money? Yeesh.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #933 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:20am
Print Post  
The amount of money floating around in the financial markets is absolutely astounding.  Banks rarely even hold mortgages anymore, they simply provide the customer with a mortgage then package it up with other mortgages and sell them all off to a brokerage firm.  The firm then packages them with other mortgages and markets the entire bundle as a multi-tiered security. 

At that point, the original bank is only responsible for collecting and passing along payments from the customer to the brokerage (and they get a fee from the brokerage firm for their service).  The brokerage then takes out their cut of the payment and pays out the rest to their investors in the form of dividends.

The upside to this is that it frees the bank from any liability for the mortgage.  They don't have to set aside liquid assets to cover for the risk of a foreclosure (banks have to set aside 15-20% of their outstanding loans to cover defaults) and the loan balance is repaid immediately by the brokerage, so they can use that money to fund another loan.  The cycle gets pretty vicious.

The downside is that it distances the mortgage owner from the individuals that are holding the bag.  The bank still acts as the "face" of the mortgage, but they are at least two steps removed from the financiers of the mortgage. 

Moreover, having more individuals with their hand in the bag can lead to problems like the current subprime lending mess.  Since the bank isn't responsible for the mortgage once it is packaged and sold off, they'll do everything in their power to sell a mortgage without regard to the quality of the mortgage.  They couldn't care less if the buyer can't afford the mortgage because they aren't left holding the bag when the buyer defaults on the loan. 

• The loan officer will sell a mortgage to anyone to get the commission, even if they have to fudge some numbers (like the buyer's income) to get it done.
  • The bank is pushing the loan officer to make sales so they can sell off the mortgage and get their cut.  They are usually paid a flat percentage fee on the price of the mortgage, plus the closing costs they tack onto the mortgage and a perennial service fee for accepting and processing payments.
  • The loan distributor pushes the bank to make sales because they need a certain number of mortgages to package as securities and sell off to brokerages.
  • The brokerage pushes the loan distributor for mortgage securities that they can purchase, split, and sell.  The brokerage splits the securities into tiers and sells shares of those tiers to investors.  The highest tiers get the lowest interest rate, but they get paid first.  The lowest tiers get the highest interest rate, but they get paid last and assume the highest risk in the event of a default.

Does that make the least bit of sense?  Every level of the mortgage market pushes the lower level to sell more, more, more!  This ultimately leads to lower quality mortgages and predatory lending practices. 

This, by the way, should by no means be misconstrued to indicate that I'm placing the blame entirely on the lenders, banks, distributors, or brokerages.  The purchaser of the mortgage is ultimately responsible for paying back their debt and there is no excuse for not understanding the terms of their mortgage.

-b0b
(...learned a thing or two in banking.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #934 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I agree in part.

But giving a loan out to someone you know can't pay it back is pretty much like giving Charles Manson a fully loaded gun, a Beatles CD, and a day off at a playground.  He is to blame in the end, sure...but what the heck were those in charge thinking?!

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #935 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
The banks were thinking "hah, we rule, if they don't pay we will take their house and sell it, we have all the cards!"  Then the people couldn't pay and it turned out after the bank took it it couldn't sell crumy_house_01.  So moral of the story, don't be a bank.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #936 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 1:42pm:
crumy_house_01.

Is that house related to A_Giant_Rat_62?

-b0b
(...old school EQ for the win!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #937 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
HAH, some one got it.  I had to add that in because my post was getting a little too serious.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #938 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Quote:
States to Track Drivers Through Licenses
A federal program promotes driving license technology that allows the tracking of motorists even when they are not driving.

Enhanced licenseElectronic monitoring of motorists will soon expand dramatically as states including Arizona, Michigan, Vermont and Washington begin to use radio frequency identification (RFID) chips in drivers' licenses. These electronic chips broadcast the identity of any card holder to any chip-reading sensor within a minimum of thirty feet. The US Department of Homeland Security is promoting the tracking projects as part of its Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

"Multiple cards can be read at a distance and simultaneously with vicinity RFID technology, allowing an entire car full of people to be processed at once," a DHS fact sheet on the Passport Card technology explained.

So-called enhanced drivers' licenses are designed to meet the DHS travel document requirements. Enhanced card holders will be allowed to travel across the border without a passport when new regulations take effect in January 2009. The enhanced licenses electronically store the motorist's name, date of birth, height, weight and identity number on the card. RFID readers use the identity number to access additional private information from a department of motor vehicles database.

Although the licenses will initially be offered on a voluntary basis, the National Motorists Association suggests that it will not take long for the program to become mandatory.

"The federal government just incentivizes their proposal so that each state, and by extension its citizens, feel like they have no choice but to go along with their program," the NMA stated today.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) warns that the move is another step toward a national identity card.

"DHS, Arizona, Vermont and Washington are creating these new ID cards in order to change the state driver's license in to a federal border security identification document," the EPIC website explained. "The license is pulled away from its original intent -- to ensure driving competence -- and used as a multi-use federal identification document that could easily be transformed into a national identity card."

Not every state is sold on the idea. The California State Senate voted in April to ban RFID drivers' licenses. The bill passed an Assembly committee by a 9-5 vote in July

Hello Mr. National ID RFID chip...there's where you've been hiding since the passage of legislation in the US Congress about 3 years ago!

Be afraid people...you're a criminal now...even if you don't know it.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #939 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
How much do you want to bet that it'll be a felony to remove the chip?

-b0b
(...if not immediately, then certainly within 5-10 years.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #940 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Quote:
Breathalyzer Tests Now The Law At N.J. High School
Pequannock Ratchets Up Alcohol Zero-Tolerance Policy
Jay Dow

PEQUANNOCK TOWNSHIP, N.J. (CBS) ― When it comes to keeping our teenagers safe and sober, one New Jersey school district is taking the lead by employing the use of a Breathalyzer test.

And as CBS 2 HD found out, it's become such a successful deterrent, students are passing with flying colors.

Keeping high school students sober can be, in some situations, a full time job.

"I personally got Breathalyzed," said student Jessica Forrest.

At Pequannock High School.

Getting checked for alcohol is now the rule at dances and other social events.

"I'm all for it because if your child isn't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to hide," parent Barbara Fede said.

Pequannock School District superintendent Dr. Larrie Reynolds said some students' recent behavior left the district no choice.

"It actually came to a head when last year at the graduation senior trip, that we had students who actually couldn't graduate as a result of their drinking," school board member Dr. Larrie Reynolds said.

Pequannock also has an active Breathalyzer test, similar to what would be used during a police traffic stop. It's a little more intrusive, but administrators believe it sends a clear message about their zero-tolerance policy on alcohol abuse.

So far it has worked, and now other districts are following Pequannock's lead.

In fact, Southington High School in Connecticut expanded the program for daily use when a student is suspected of drinking.

"In the world of high school students, any alcohol rating is a reading that is inappropriate," Superintendent Joseph Mirardi said.

Pequannock school officials say because their limited Breathalyzer use has been so effective, they aren't willing to take the program that far just yet.

"We'll leave that for somebody else to decide," Reynolds said. "We're really not going into that area."

However frequently it's used.

"I don't think people will like, drink anymore," Pequannock student Erika Vecchiet said.

It seems the Breathalyzer has at least cleared the air about who is -- and who is not -- welcome at school.

Pequannock school officials say they avoided running into any privacy issues by making students sign a contract which states they must submit to a Breathalyzer if they want to attend a school social event.

Hold it right there citizen!  Even though you have done nothing wrong and I have no probable cause...I KNOW you are a criminal...now bow down and lick my boots!

People...if you don't think we live in a police state, esp. when reading this...please call someone for professional help.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #941 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
"I'm all for it because if your child isn't doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to hide," parent Barbara Fede said.

Wow, this woman took a quote directly from the Police State Manifesto.  You should let the government wiretap your phone, randomly search your house/car/body, and record your Internet traffic, right?  After all, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to hide!

-b0b
(...wonders who killed privacy.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #942 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Let's put cameras in every room of the house and track her driving...let's see how she likes getting ticked for every little wrong thing she ever does then.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #943 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Don't you hate it when some one totally invades your privacy?  Like when you go to a LAN and leave to go get some food...but when you return some one has installed AOL on your computer and put a kabillion (yes that's a real number) shortcuts to it on your desktop.

...now that's something that is going to be brought up in bobs eulogy.

Combining 2 threads, i am a genius.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #944 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
As much as I'd love to lay claim to that moment of sheer l33tness, I'm afraid I have to decline.  I may have taken a screenshot of your desktop, set it as your background, and hid your icons and start menu, but I don't think I was responsible for the rogue AOL installation. 

More than likely, it was Shizza who was responsible for that.

-b0b
(...was one of the few to avoid the mass AOL'ing.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 102
Send TopicPrint