Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165780 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #960 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
That movie rocks!

...though I have only really seen the last 20 mins.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #961 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
The DVD has three different endings, and one of the two "optional" endings is by far better than the original theatrical ending.  If you're up for an old-fashioned comedy, rent (or download) the DVD and check them out.

-b0b
(...enjoyed the movie thoroughly.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #962 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
AT&T and Other I.S.P.’s May Be Getting Ready to Filter

By Brad Stone

Tags: at and t, CES, content filtering, Copyright, digital fingerprinting, NBC, piracy
International Consumer Electronics Show

For the last 15 years, Internet service providers have acted - to use an old cliche - as wide-open information super-highways, letting data flow uninterrupted and unimpeded between users and the Internet.

But I.S.P.’s may be about to embrace a new metaphor: traffic cop.

At a small panel discussion about digital piracy at NBC’s booth on the Consumer Electronics Show floor, representatives from NBC, Microsoft, several digital filtering companies and the telecom giant AT&T said the time was right to start filtering for copyrighted content at the network level.

Such filtering for pirated material already occurs on sites like YouTube and Microsoft’s Soapbox, and on some university networks.

Network-level filtering means your Internet service provider – Comcast, AT&T, EarthLink, or whoever you send that monthly check to – could soon start sniffing your digital packets, looking for material that infringes on someone’s copyright.

“What we are already doing to address piracy hasn’t been working. There’s no secret there,” said James Cicconi, senior vice president, external & legal affairs for AT&T.

Mr. Cicconi said that AT&T has been talking to technology companies, and members of the M.P.A.A. and R.I.A.A., for the last six months about carrying out digital fingerprinting techniques on the network level.

“We are very interested in a technology based solution and we think a network-based solution is the optimal way to approach this,” he said. “We recognize we are not there yet but there are a lot of promising technologies. But we are having an open discussion with a number of content companies, including NBC Universal, to try to explore various technologies that are out there.”

Internet civil rights organizations oppose network-level filtering, arguing that it amounts to Big Brother monitoring of free speech, and that such filtering could block the use of material that may fall under fair-use legal provisions — uses like parody, which enrich our culture.

Rick Cotton, the general counsel of NBC Universal, who has led the company’s fights against companies like YouTube for the last three years, clearly doesn’t have much tolerance for that line of thinking.

“The volume of peer-to-peer traffic online, dominated by copyrighted materials, is overwhelming. That clearly should not be an acceptable, continuing status,” he said. “The question is how we collectively collaborate to address this.”

I asked the panelists how they would respond to objections from their customers over network level filtering – for example, the kind of angry outcry Comcast saw last year, when it was accused of clamping down on BitTorrent traffic on its network.

“Whatever we do has to pass muster with consumers and with policy standards. There is going to be a spotlight on it,” said Mr. Cicconi of AT&T.

After the session, he told me that I.S.P.’s like AT&T would have to handle such network filtering delicately, and do more than just stop an upload dead in its tracks, or send a legalistic cease and desist form letter to a customer. “We’ve got to figure out a friendly way to do it, there’s no doubt about it,” he said.

Well, this really gets my blood boiling.  Hopefully, ISP's will start losing their "common carrier" protection under the DMCA because of this.  That will certainly be interesting...

-b0b
(...can only dream.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #963 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 9:14pm
Print Post  

I have always wondered why the democrats had huge spending associated with them. I think it has to to with the fact that they funnel most funds to domestic things, social programs, etc. They do so with increase in taxes. Either way, how much do you think the US can actually borrow before creditors are going to start wondering if it can be paid back.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #964 - Jan 12th, 2008 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
As soon as we run out of land to give towards our debt is when they'll stop giving.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #965 - Jan 13th, 2008 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
That's a nice chart.  Pretty colors.  Very shocking.

Unfortunately, it's also completely fictitious.

Don't get me wrong, Bush has definitely jacked our debt into the atmosphere, but I have absolutely no clue where the author of that graph got their numbers (outside of liberal fantasy land).

Here's a chart that's based on actual economic numbers.

You can find the full version here.

Quote:
Since 1938 the Democrats have held the White house for 35 years, the Republicans for 34.  Over that time the national debt has increased at an average annual rate of 8.7%.  In years Democrats were in the White House there was an average increase of 8.3%.  In years the Republicans ran the White House the debt increased an average 9.7% per year.

In short, both parties suck at spending.  On average, no party is any better than the other.  The only thing to extrapolate from this data is that Bush sucks worse than the rest.

-b0b
(...would love to have a president that actually reduced the debt.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #966 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 1:46pm
Print Post  

Its the same darn chart. the one i posted just shows increase in debt, noone has reduced it.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #967 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
The only way that chart would be even moderately useful is if it was contrasted against the gross domestic product over those same years.

-b0b
(...is just sayin'.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #968 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Well 60% of the time, bob is wrong everytime.

I got a pie chart that proves it!

....mmmm pie.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #969 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 2:01pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #970 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
That's nasty.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #971 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
It's not nasty, it's pie.

-b0b
(...duh.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #972 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
I just thought of an amazing new idea!

Has anyone ever seen a pie with cake filling?  I am going to be a millionaire!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #973 - Jan 14th, 2008 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
My favorite type of pie is Kentucky Derby.  It's essentially a pie with a cookie filling.

How much does that rock?

-b0b
(...mmm, cookie!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #974 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Quote:
Microsoft Wants to Be Your Big Brother
By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
2008-01-18

Article Views: 6666
Article Rating:starstarstarstarstar / 162
Poor Best

It's not science-fiction. It's a real technology and it cannot be allowed to happen or privacy will vanish.

Today, I have a temperature of 99 degrees Fahrenheit, a headache, my blood pressure is 100 over 71, and my heart-heat is around 90 beats per minute. I have felt better. Now, if Microsoft's plan goes the way it wants, my Windows computer will soon be reporting all of that, and more, to my boss.

This isn't science fiction. This isn't a remake of George Orwell's "1984." This is the future, according to a recently filed Microsoft patent. Let's call the product that might come from this patent Windows You. It is, as you'll see, an apt name.

In Microsoft's vision of tomorrow's office, according to a report in the London Times, our computers will be constantly monitoring us with wireless sensors. There's nothing new about Big Brother software. Programs that measure how many keystrokes we make per minute are old hat. If you work in an office and think for one moment that your e-mail, instant messaging or Web-browsing habits are in some way secret, you're a fool.

But, in Microsoft's new world, Windows You will not only be measuring medical biometrics, it will also be monitoring your metabolism. Are you logy after a big lunch? Windows You will be letting your boss know. Overweight? Had a drink at lunch? Falling asleep at the keyboard? Gotcha, gotcha and gotcha.

There's more. Let's say you're upset, and you've got an angry look on your face, Windows You will be reporting on that too. Did you start feeling angry when you read the e-mail that your co-worker was promoted? Big brother Microsoft and your manager will know that too.

What? You say that's not why you were angry? Are you sure? Because Windows You will also be measuring your galvanic skin response. What do you get when you put galvanic skin measurements with blood pressure readings? You get a lie detector.

And you thought drug tests to get a job was a bad idea.

Microsoft's patent application suggests that all this information will only be used so that management will be better able to help you in your job. Right. If you believe that you'll also believe that you had to burn down the village to save it.

This is the most breathtaking business invasion of privacy that I have ever seen seriously suggested. With this system, nothing, and I mean nothing, about your life will remain private.

No, I'm not being over-dramatic. Take all the information about you that's already available from corporate communications monitoring, cross-reference it in a SQL Server database with the biometric information from Windows You, and a sufficiently nosy boss can tell how you feel about your husband or wife, about how well, or not, you're doing with quitting smoking, and, last but never least, how you feel about your job.

Never mind whether you're doing a good job. If the boss decides that your attitude is wrong -- "The machines don't lie," he or she will say -- and out on the street you'll go, where your next would-be employer might want to look at your Windows You records to see if you're healthy enough to do your office job.

Of course, if the government, under the Patriot Act of 2011, got this information, life as we know it, is over. "Tell me Mr. Bradbury, you seemed 'happy' on June 12th just after the news of the Amtrak terrorist bombing arrived on your desktop news feed. Do you really expect us to believe that it was because June had agreed to marry you the night before? What are you hiding?"

We like to talk about the long, slippery slope of losing rights, of losing our privacy. This technology isn't a slope. It's a sheer drop to the world of Big Brother. It cannot, it must not, be allowed to be used in any business.

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Microsoft-wants-to-your-Big-Brother/

Although I highly doubt this kind of technology will ever see the light of day, it's pretty scare nonetheless that anybody would even consider this as a viable project.  It's fortunate that such a product would be ridiculously expensive, nearly impossible to maintain, and that most workers would flat-out refuse to use it.

-b0b
(...has been wrong before, though.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 102
Send TopicPrint