Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165853 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #975 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
And knowing Microsoft it would report you both alive and dead, with leprosy, running the Olympic games, and bleeding out of every poor with a temperature of -2.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #976 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Yeah, I hope Microsoft never goes into the pacemaker industry.  Considering the infamous inaccuracy of "Windows Time," the patients wouldn't last a minute.

-b0b
(...w00t.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #977 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Could you image them in the medical community?

Dr. 1 - WE'RE CRASHING!!!
Dr.2 - The patient seems find to me.
Dr. 1 - No I mean Windows just crashed on us!

Dr. 1 - Ok now we'll just snip the artery and hook it up to the machine to keep the blood pumping...
Dr. 2 - DOCTOR WE HAVE A BLUE SCREEN ON DEATH AND REBOOT TIME IS 5 MINUTES!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #978 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Imagine what a pain it would be to install security patches every four weeks...

-b0b
(...grins.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #979 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Sound somewhat familiar, Briney?

Quote:
FCPS: It’s Illegal To Make Websites!

Posted in Internet, Real World

Yeah, yeah. I make websites. Once upon a time, I ran a huge network of over 50 proxy websites. They were cool and all, but eventually they absorbed a ton of server usage and, since there really wasn’t much of a ROI given that I couldn’t find an ad network that could fulfill the “should-be-doing-work-rather-than-browsing-blocked-websites” demographic, I wasn’t making sufficient money. The CTR with Adsense was hopeless, not to mention that each proxy, one by one, started getting blocked by the big guys. By ‘big guys’ I mean Websense and rest of the shit ton of “Network Security” softwares. So there really was no light at the end of the tunnel, and I shut them all down.

Anyways, just a few weeks ago, I made a new proxy. A private proxy, nothing of commercial value, but one that I, along with a small group of friends, would personally use. It was called “Afnani’s Moo Proxy”, and was located at robertafnani.com/moo/ (now offline, but if you really care you can check it out at robertafnani.com/mooold/).

Before long, a lot of people in my school, and even other schools in the area caught wind of it, and basically everyone at Langley HS started using it. How could I tell, you ask? Well, it’s kinda obvious with Awstats shows only a few unique IP addresses accessing the site, yet a shit ton of pageloads and gigabytes upon gigabytes of bandwidth usage. Great. I made a proxy on my domain name and now its the shit everyone’s talking about. I must be a badass now.

Langley stinks.

This is when everything starts to go raw. Just the other day, I was pulled into an administrator’s office (whose name shall be undisclosed), and slapped in the face with a possible suspension. I am accused of violating my rights as a student, and intentionally attempting to disturb the learning environment of students in my school.

I was accused of breaking the law. Of providing a means for students to do illegal activities in school. And I got all the blame. Supposedly, if students were reading instructions, and I quote, on “how to make a bomb”, I’m the one who should be facing criminal prosecution, as I’m the one who provided all the means for retrieving the information.

Of course, I tried to argue my way out of it. Proxies are perfectly legal to create. I can do whatever the hell I want outside of school, especially if it involves my job, which takes part mostly on the Internet.

Much to my dismay, however, apparently I have no rights at FCPS schools. I asked the administrator and the tech guy (who, if I may add, is a great guy, and not the one at fault here) to point out on the Student Network Access Agreement what policy/rule I violated. They refused to, because there was no law that made what I did ‘illegal’. I wasn’t hacking the network, I wasn’t dickin’ around with the hardware; I made a damn website, and no where on the entire agreement does it say anything about not being able to make websites outside of school.

Being the one with lower hand, I had to submit to their will, so as to not get into any more trouble. In the end, my computer account at school was banned, but the verbal abuse and harassment to me was worse. Hell, I was pulled out of class during my final exam for the first semester of Philosophy, so who knows what grade I’m going to be getting on that test. And I was facing a possible suspension from the school premises for doing this.

I’m the little man in this situation: my school thinks they have all the power in the world, and there’s nothing I can do about it. I am now forced to take all my proxies offline, otherwise I face “repeat network abuse” and will get in a LOT of trouble (recommendation for expulsion, anyone?).

Langley High School has no right to do this. Suppose “robertafnani.com” wasn’t the domain for this proxy. I’m damn sure the IT guys wouldn’t WHOIS the proxy and attempt to arrest/accuse the owner of commiting a crime. I feel as though I am discriminated against, and that my school’s actions against me were unjust. They’re abusing their power and if I can’t get any help from the press, then there’s no stopping this administration.

Worst part is that now I’m tagged as being a ‘computer hacker’ and a ‘potential threat’ to the school system. A mass email was sent out from the administrator who accused me of this to all the teachers, administrators, librarians, etc in the entire school, which basically says I’m a criminal and I need to be watched when getting within a 10-foot radius of a computer.

I find it unfair that Fairfax County Public Schools feels they can impose this kind of totalitarianism on me, I’m now a criminal for making proxies. For making a website. A legal website. On my private server. Outside of school. Great.

God help me.

X
(Vomits on "school authority")

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #980 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:09am
Print Post  
I hope this attention helps the guys cause and the school apologizes for their stupidity.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #981 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Feb 1st, 2008 at 11:09am:
I hope this attention helps the guys cause and the school apologizes for their stupidity.

Bahahahahahahaha!  Oh ho!  That's frickin' rich!

The funniest part of this guy's story was how strikingly familiar it sounded!

-b0b
(...still has his detention slips for "hacking" and "changing settings.")

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #982 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
A good point made:

Quote:
Down A Big Cup Of Duuuhhhh
By Rand on February 11, 2008 1:23 PM | Permalink | Comments (25) | TrackBacks (0) Categories:

Some intelligence agencies are starting to think that maybe bin Laden hasn't been alive for a long time:

Questions about Bin Laden are being raised by intelligence officials who say that without a specific time mark with a photo of Bin Laden, his presence cannot be confirmed and the most recent statements could have been put together from older audio.

Yes, and that has been true since Tora Bora. Haven't these people ever wondered, or speculated why bin Laden, who was second only to Senator Schumer when it came to being a camera hog, all of a sudden switched from video to audio about six years ago? Even if he said things that seemed to indicate knowledge of recent events, that could have been done by splicing and manipulating an audio tape, or finding someone to imitate his voice. Maybe they've been using voice prints, but I don't know how reliable they really are. I do know that it's a lot harder to fake a video, and when I consider the fact that we've heard only audios, and not seen a new video (at least one that can be shown to be from a post-2002 period) I have long thought that he's been pushing up poppies since then.

Of course, the other reason that I've long thought that he's dead is that our so-called intelligence agencies--the same ones that subverted our pressure on Iran last fall with their "intelligence" estimate that they're not building a bomb--have continued to tell me that he's alive. To me, the question is not whether or not he's alive, but why so many in the so-called intelligence community have been so determined to continue to attempt to convince us that he is for the past six years.

You mean the guy who needed constant treatments for diabetes might be dead?!  Shocked

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #983 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
Hi, I'm Wilford Brimly...

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #984 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Did you post that in the wrong topic spanky?

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #985 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
you said diaBeetus...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #986 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Wilford Brimley is acceptable in any thread.  Geek law.

-b0b
(...is sure he read that somewhere once.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #987 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 11:53am
Print Post  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #988 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pastor: IRS Probes Huckabee Endorsement       
Feb 13 03:09 PM US/Eastern
By GILLIAN FLACCUS
Associated Press Writer      

BUENA PARK, Calif. (AP) - Southern Baptist pastor Wiley Drake said Wednesday that he is being investigated by the Internal Revenue Service for his endorsement of GOP presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee in a press release written on church stationery.

Under federal tax law, church officials may legally discuss politics, but they cannot endorse candidates or parties without putting their tax-exempt status at risk. Most who do so receive only a warning.

Drake, a prominent pastor in the Southern Baptist Convention, said he received a 14-page letter from the IRS on Feb. 7.

IRS spokesman Rafael Tulino said Wednesday that he could not comment.

On Aug. 11, Drake wrote a press release on letterhead from the First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park that announced his personal endorsement of Huckabee, who also is an ordained Baptist minister.

"After very serious prayer and consideration, I announce today that I am going to personally endorse Mike Huckabee," the release said. "I ask all of my Southern Baptist brothers and sister to consider getting behind Mike and helping him all you can."

He added: "I believe God has chosen Mike for such an hour, and I believe of all those running Mike Huckabee will listen to God."

Two days later, Wiley repeated his endorsement on his church-based Internet show, "The Wiley Drake Show."

A complaint was filed with the IRS by Americans United for the Separation of Church and State.

"I commend the IRS for investigating Pastor Drake's flagrant abuse of church resources," Barry Lynn, executive director for Americans United, said in a statement.

Drake defended his news release and comments on the talk show, saying that he was only offering his personal endorsement of Huckabee—not the church's.

"I think I'm perfectly within my rights and I am upset," he said in an interview.

His attorney, Eric Stanley, said Drake and other pastors have a right to free speech, even in politics.

"They can feel free to personally endorse candidates. It was not a church endorsement and he made that very clear," said Stanley, who is representing Drake on behalf of the Alliance Defense Fund.

It's so nice to see the abolition of freedom of spee....

I wish churches would realize that they are already exempt and don't need a 401(c)3.  What's next...not being able to condemn something the Bible condemns?  Not being able to say that Jesus is THE Way, THE Truth, and THE Light?  Let's see them try that on Muslims.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #989 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Here's a follow-up on an article I posted earlier about Berkeley effectively booting the Marine Corps recruiters from the city...

Quote:
U.S. Senators Introduce Semper Fi Act of 2008

Bill Stops Berkeley Earmarks and Transfers Funds to Marine Corps

Washington, D.C. - Today, U.S. Senators James Inhofe (R-Oklahoma), Jim DeMint
(R-South Carolina), Saxby Chambliss (R-Georgia), Tom Coburn, M.D.
(R-Oklahoma), John Cornyn (R-Texas), and David Vitter (R-Louisiana)
introduced the Semper Fi Act of 2008. The bill would rescind over $2 million
in hidden earmarks for Berkeley, California in the 2008 Omnibus
Appropriations bill, and transfer the funds to the Marine Corps. U.S.
Congressman John Campbell (R-California) is introducing a companion bill in
the House of Representatives.

Last week, the City Council of Berkeley voted to oust Marine Corps recruiters from their downtown office, saying the Marines were "uninvited and unwelcome intruders." Berkeley officials also voted to give the radical protest group Code Pink space outside the recruitment office and urged them to "impede, passively or actively" the work of Marine Corps recruiters.

One earmark provides $243,000 in taxpayer dollars for the organization Chez Panisse < <http://www.chezpanisse.com/>;
http://www.chezpanisse.com/ > <http://www.chezpanisse.com/>; to create gourmet organic school lunches in the Berkeley School District. Chez Panisse is dedicated to "environmental harmony" and their menu features "Comté cheese soufflé with mâche salad," "Meyer lemon éclairs with huckleberry coulis," and "Chicory salad with creamy anchovy vinaigrette and olive toast."

Another earmark would spend $975,000 in taxpayer dollars for the University of California in Berkeley Matsui Center for Politics and Public Service, to create a new endowment and cataloging the papers of Congressman Robert Matsui. U.C. Berkeley currently already has a $3.5 billion endowment.

Senator Inhofe: "Unfortunately, those on the Berkeley city council do not seem to understand the sacrifice of the brave men and women of the United States Marine Corps. By interfering with military recruiting, the city of Berkeley is hampering our ability to protect this nation. While the city of Berkeley and the protestors are free to say whatever they like, free speech is not a protection from consequence."

Senator DeMint: "Berkeley needs to learn that their actions have
consequences. Patriotic American taxpayers won't sit quietly while Berkeley insults our brave Marines and tries to run them out of town. Berkeley City Council members have shown complete ingratitude to our military and their families, and the city doesn't deserve a single dime of special pet project handouts."

Senator Cornyn: "The Berkeley City Council insulted our troops and offended people across the country. If the U.S. Marines are not good enough for Berkeley, neither are taxpayer dollars Congress would have sent there this year. That city closed its doors on the same individuals taking bullets on the front lines while fighting for the safety and freedom of families in Berkeley and throughout America."

Senator Vitter: "The actions of the City Council of Berkeley are in stark
contrast to beliefs of the vast majority of Americans who recognize and honor the service and sacrifice of our U.S. Marines. This is simply unacceptable and those funds could be better utilized by the Marine Corps."

Dr. Coburn: "The actions by the city of Berkeley are deplorable and insulting to those who are serving and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to protect the very freedoms that are being exercised to insult them. I know I stand with the majority of Americans in thanking our service men and women for their selfless service to our nation."

Senator Chambliss: "We need to send a strong message that our military personnel deserve our strongest support. Georgia is a proud military state, and my constituents will be out outraged to know that during a time of war, their taxpayers dollars have been used to reward folks who have insulted and disparaged those who defend this nation every day."

The only thing that angers me more than Berkley's antics is the fact that the federal government is using my tax dollars to feed couscous to a bunch of dirty hippies in California.  Honestly, I almost wish I hadn't learned that.

-b0b
(....GRR!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 102
Send TopicPrint