Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Call of Duty 2 (Read 2801 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Call of Duty 2
Nov 18th, 2005 at 11:35am
Print Post  
So has anyone played this game yet.  I've had it for 2 days now and so I feel it my Duty (har har) to give you a consumers (ha ha I said consumer...like I bought it!) review.  Alrighty well it still takes place in WWII however there are many different theaters here.  Russians are still in Stalingrad, but with less sniping, but the Brits are in Africa, the Americans....I don't know yet I'm only on the Brits.  Campaign menu allows you to play unlocked campaigns of other countries.  So if you're held up in Stalingrad and you just can't beat the Jerries you can switch to being a Brit in Africa.  The music is really what makes the game.  None at uninersting points and well toned music right before the Nazis come over the smoke screen they put up.  The visiual in here are excellent, the settings are stunning and it's the closest game I've seen come to having what looks like screenshots in their game play.  There is one draw back that I find absolutely horrible about this game.  You have no life.  That's not, if you get shot you die...I wouldn't mind that.  But if you get shot too much then your screen goes red and they tell you to find cover.  After which you're ok.  I say that's bullcrap either give me hea;th to pick up or kill me on the first or second shot.  I am enjoying the game however.  On medium difficulty it's fairly difficult but I'm going to blame that on not having the feel for the game yet.  Oh also, shooting someone in the head will not only make them fly back but also kick off their helmets, shoot them in the arm and they turn that way.  If a Jerry isn't completely killed, instead of getting up slowly and finding his rifle like in the last game he pulls out his pistol and tries to cap you that way.  You also have not only gernades but smoke gernades, I hate them.  I'm trying to snipe here while the buddies are clouding my vision.  But when you do throw a gernade it looks exactly like how a gernade would do damage.  Also you can throw back any gernades the enemy throws at you.  I almost forgot another downfall.  While the AI for the enemies is wonder, they take cover and don't just stand there to be shot, your teammates are baffoons.  They get in the way of your shots and they take the best covering positions away from you.  And you can't shoot them and blame it on friendly fire...maybe on the American missions you can...we kinda have a history of that.  Anyways I'd rate this game an A-.

X
(Killin some Nazis)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Call of Duty 2
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Yes the game is hawtness but I disagree on a couple points.

The issue of how to handle health was done pretty well I think. The game experience is more about the gameplay than worrying about your health level and when to find health. Its taken from the point of view of some people that went through some very difficult situations and lived. They weren't looking around for health or watching some bar, they were doing what needed to be done. Granted, this is a game and its pretty easy to get killed, but I like not worrying about what my health level is.  When I take damage to the point of death, the screen goes reddish at the edges and then when you don't take any more damage you slowly get your health back.

Brilliant.

Keeps my mind on the game.

Smoke grenades are awesome, I love moving through the thick clouds and bashing a Nazi in the face with the butt of my gun. Nothing like moving through smoke, and then, when it clears, you find yourself standing in the middle of a Nazi machine gun nest. I died a few times like that.

The animations are very cool. I shot a German in the head, it was a grazing shot. His helmut flew off his head and he patted his head and then stared in shock as he felt his helmut was gone. Then he looked back at me and ran away ducking. Total hotness.

~BRiney

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Call of Duty 2
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I really have to disagree with you on the health.  I think it's stupid to try and find health but without the health bar you don't know what your limits are.  I think it'd be better if you had to wait for a medic and that would heal you.  It'd be more realistic and what not.  I hate standing there taking 10 shots to the face and just seeing red.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint