Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879472 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #1005 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 11:20am
Print Post  
the atari 2600 game kicked butt.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1006 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 11:57am
Print Post  
There has been NO GB game yet to be good.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1007 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Holy crap!  I have the NES game, and I brought it with me!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1008 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Just wait until the Ghostbusters MMO comes out.  It's going to rock.

-b0b
(...don't cross the beams!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1009 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
streams! Don't cross the streams!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1010 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Good golly bob is a noob!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1011 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Hey, it's been at least a decade since I watched Ghostbusters, and I'm not a fanboi, so blow me!

-b0b
(...prefers da beamz.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1012 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Chrysler LLC said on Monday it is offering buyouts of up to $100,000 each to hourly workers at 12 of its Detroit-area facilities as part of its November plan to eliminate up to 10,000 unionized jobs.

The offer will be extended to about 14,000 workers represented by the United Auto Workers union at the plants which make cars, engines, axles and other parts, Chrysler spokeswoman Michele Tinson said. About 4,600 can opt for a more attractive retirement package...

...General Motors Corp and Ford Motor Co said earlier in January that they had launched buyouts for UAW-represented hourly workers in North America.

GM's buyout offers cover about 46,000 workers, while Ford said it would offer buyouts to all 54,000 UAW hourly workers. Ford did not announce a target for the buyouts but has nearly 12,000 retirement-eligible U.S. factory workers.

Industry analysts expect the U.S. auto sector to experience another down year in 2008 -- with one investor predicting a possible 15-year sales low. Top U.S. auto executives have said they would not hesitate to further adjust restructuring plans as needed if the market weakened further.

In November, Chrysler, which private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management took over in August, said it would cut up to 10,000 hourly jobs over the next 14 months as it moved to slash North American production.

The cuts were in addition to 13,000 jobs Chrysler had already planned to eliminate as part of a restructuring plan announced in February. Combined, the two announcements represented almost half its unionized factory positions.

Chrysler said in November it would also cut 1,000 salaried jobs and eliminate almost 40 percent of its white-collar contract positions.

Cerberus took control of Chrysler in a $7.4 billion deal. Daimler AG retains a nearly 20 percent stake in the U.S. automaker.

The Chrysler offers run through February 18, Tinson said. The buyout includes a lump-sum payment of $100,000 and six months of health benefits, while the retirement package includes a lump-sum payment of $70,000 as well as better pension and health-care benefits.

It's all fun and games until Chrysler either hires back many of the people it laid off, or the new employees decide to unionize.

-b0b
(...will the last person to leave Michigan please turn off the lights?)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1013 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I wish I was a ford executive.

First order of business:  "Everyone who is part of the union please raise your hand.  You are all fired."

Second order of business:  Start making some damn money!

That is the only way that is going to happen.  There is no reason for the auto union to still exsist.  You man a screw gun on an assembly line, you should not be making $60k+ a year and get full retirement after 1 year of work.

...can't say that too many times.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1014 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 5:18pm
Print Post  
I would like the US to try an experiment.  Let's stop all unions for a year period...then let's see what management does.

If management tries to screw over the workers again...then unions for all...forever.

However I don't see a need for unions anymore.  They served their purpose and then they got too much power and with all things with power it became too much.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1015 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 9:54am
Print Post  
I hate mississippi.  They have gone too far.

They now have a Bill that would prohibit serving food to fat people.  This is discrimination!  First I demand that this bill be thrown out, then I demand a double cheeseburger for reparations.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1016 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Wow, that's one of the most absurd pieces of legislation I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Are fast food restaurants going to install scales for their customers to step on, with food choices determined by weight?

-b0b
(...thinks the people responsible for this bill need to be shot.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1017 - Feb 1st, 2008 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Forget about Britian being the Nanny state...if this passes I'm succeeding from Mississippi

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1018 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Quote:
Muslim husbands with more than one wife to get extra benefits as ministers recognise polygamy
By JAMES SLACK
Last updated at 11:22am on 4th February 2008

Husbands living in a "harem" with multiple wives have been cleared to claim state benefits for all their different partners.

A Muslim man with four spouses - which is permitted under Islamic law - could receive £10,000 a year in income support alone.

He could also be entitled to more generous housing and council tax benefit, to reflect the fact his household needs a bigger property.

Ministers have decided that, even though bigamy is a crime in Britain, polygamous marriages can be recognised formally by the state - provided they took place overseas, in countries where they are legal.

The outcome will chiefly benefit Muslim men with more than one wife.

Ministers estimate that up to a thousand polygamous partnerships exist in Britain, although they admit there is no exact record.

Potentially, the benefits bill for income support could reach £10m.

New guidelines on income support from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) state: "Where there is a valid polygamous marriage the claimant and one spouse will be paid the couple rate (£92.80).

"The amount payable for each additional spouse is presently £33.65."

Income support for all of the wives may be paid directly into the husband's bank account, if the family so choose.

Chris Grayling, the shadow work and pensions secretary, said that the decision was "completely unjustifiable".

He added: "You are not allowed to have multiple marriages in the UK, so to have a situation where the benefits system is treating people in different ways is totally unacceptable and will serve to undermine confidence in the system.

"This sets a precedent that will lead to more demands for the culture of other countries to be reflected in UK law and the benefits system."

Mr Grayling also accused the Government of trying to keep the ruling quiet because the topic is so controversial.

Corin Taylor, research director for the Taxpayers' Alliance, said: "British taxpayers are paying a record amount of tax so the Government has a duty to make sure that every penny is spent properly.

"Polygamy is not something which British law allows and therefore British taxpayers should not have to pay for extra benefits for second or third wives.

"If other countries sanction polygamy that is fine but the British taxpayer should not have to fund it."

Ministers launched a review of the benefit rules for polygamous marriages in November 2006, after it emerged that some families had benefited financially.

The review concluded in December last year with agreement that the extra benefits should continue to be paid. But the decision was not publicly announced.

Four departments - the Treasury, the DWP, HM Revenue and Customs, and the Home Office - were involved in the review, which concluded that recognising multiple marriages conducted overseas was 'the best possible' option. In Britain, bigamy is punishable by up to seven years in prison.

Islamic law permits men to have up to four wives at any one time - known as a harem - provided the husband spends equal amounts of time and money on each of them.

The DWP believes the number of people in polygamous marriages entering Britain has fallen since the 1988 Immigration Act, which makes it harder to bring more than one wife to the UK.

But, while a married man cannot obtain a spouse visa to bring a second wife into Britain, some multiple partners may be able to enter the country via other legal routes such as tourist visas, student visas or work permits.

Officials have also identified a potential loophole by which a man can divorce his wife under British law while continuing to live with her as his spouse under Islamic law, and obtain a spouse visa for a foreign woman who he can legally marry.

Immigration rules say entry clearance may not be withheld from a second wife where the husband has divorced his previous wife, and the divorce is thought to be one of convenience.

This is so, even if the husband is still living with the previous wife and to issue the entry clearance would lead to the formation of a polygamous household.

Muslim couples are only married in the eyes of the British state if they undergo a register office wedding as well as a Nikah, or religious ceremony.

Muslim groups say it is quite common for men here to undergo more than one Nikah with different wives. This does not count as bigamy since only the first marriage is legally recognised.

A DWP spokesman said: 'There are fewer than 1,000 polygamous marriages in the UK and only a small percentage of these are claiming social security benefit.

"We recently reviewed the rules regarding benefit payments to customers in a polygamous marriage, which conclude that the rules in place since 1987 provide the necessary safeguards to ensure there is no financial advantage for claimants in a valid polygamous marriage."

Good job, United Kingdom!  The way I see it, the UK will be considered part of the Middle East before the decade is up!

I really wish this was an Onion article, but it's completely legit.  Pity.

-b0b
(...is amazed by the level of stupidity.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1019 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I know that Muslims want to take pat of the Old Testament in there religion (and I think they have a right to as long as they stop at Ishmael) but shouldn't they know that God wants one man and one woman only?  I'm not all too up on my Koran...but it sounds like Muslims are becoming more Mormon.

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 90
Send TopicPrint