Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880327 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #1065 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/

Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the Internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second.

oh snap!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1066 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 6:25pm
Print Post  
I would really like to know how this tech works.  Wired is still faster than wireless...that was up until now.   Very interesting.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1067 - Feb 23rd, 2008 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I'd also like to know how it works.  There is no way this satellite is going to be able to offer low-latency 1.2GB service to residential accounts.  It simply isn't going to happen.

-b0b
(...will always take a wire over wireless.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1068 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Microsoft fined record £681m for defying EU

By Emma Henry and agencies
Last Updated: 1:28pm GMT 27/02/2008

The Commission said it was the first company to ignore sanctions in 50 years of EU competition policy.

It fined Microsoft what was than a record €497m (£330m) in 2004 after it found the software giant guilty of using its near monopoly to stifle its rivals.

The company was also ordered to separate its Windows operating system from its Media Player and provide rivals with vital data enabling them to produce computer servers which can work alongside Windows software.

The ruling, which was appealed, was later upheld by an EU court. Microsoft provided information but imposed high royalties on the grounds of innovation.

The Commission found that the information lacked much innovation and was more like a lock to which Microsoft was withholding the combination. It decided the royalties were unreasonable.

Competition Commissioner Neelie Kroes said: "I hope that today's decision closes a dark chapter in Microsoft's record of non-compliance with the Commission's March 2004 decision."

Microsoft said in a statement that the fines concerned "past issues" and it was now looking to the future.

After fining Microsoft in 2004, the Commission fined it another €280.5 million in July 2006 for failing to comply with the sanctions.

The latest decision picks up from where that fine left off, for the period from June 21, 2006 until Oct. 21, 2007. After that, Microsoft agreed to reduced royalties and to provide the requested information.

The Microsoft statement said: "As we demonstrated last week with our new interoperability principles and specific actions to increase the openness of our products, we are focusing on steps that will improve things for the future."

Last week, knowing a large fine was imminent, the company publicly promised to publish critical information so rival programmes worked better with Windows.

Microsoft still faces other potential action by the Commission.

In January, the EU executive started two new formal antitrust investigations against Microsoft - one relating to interoperability, and one relating to the tying of separate software products.

$1.4 billion?!  Holy crap, that's a nice piece of change even for Microsoft! 

I can't believe Microsoft is still getting nailed for this crap.  I can install virtually any browser, media player, or office productivity suite I want on Windows.  How does this constitute a monopoly? 

Apple ships a media player with their OS.  Sun ships a media player with their OS.  Virtually every Linux distribution ships with a media player.  Yet, when Microsoft does it, they're a monopoly?  WTF?

I think Microsoft should give the EU the finger an refuse to sell any software or provide updates or support to EU countries.  That fine would disappear damn near overnight.

This isn't punishment for Microsoft's supposed "crime" or reimbursement for what it has cost others, it's graft, pure and simple.

-b0b
(...regulatory extortion, nothing more.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1069 - Feb 27th, 2008 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Though I think it is funny to fine/sue for WTFCRAZY amounts of money...it is not cool when a country(or countries) other than the US does it!

I say Microsoft should give me a cool million as their fine and be done with it.

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1070 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
KUAM News has learned that a B-2 stealth bomber crashed at Andersen Air Force Base this morning. The incident happened at around 10:45am Saturday, as information we've gathered so far indicates that a lead B-2 aircraft took off and became safely airborne, but when minutes later a second bomber took off for reasons that are unknown at this point, that aircraft crashed.

However, at least two pilots were ejected before the plane hit. Their conditions are unknown at this time. AAFB public affairs officials have not been able to be reached for comment on the matter.

Meanwhile, Yigo residents have reported that they've seen large plumes of black smoke coming from the nearby military base. Additionally, according to Guam Fire Department Angel Llagas, a large explosion was also reported to the island's 911 service this morning, and two units responded to the area.

This is the second military aircraft that has crashed in the last 11 days. On February 12 a Navy Ea-6b Prowler attached to the U.S.S. Kittyhawk strike group went down about 20 miles to the north of AAFB. All four of the pilots in that incident were released from the hospital with minor injuries.

Some facts about the B-2 Spirit Bomber:

- Assigned to 393rd Expeditionary Bomb Squadron's 509th Bomb Wing
- Homebased out of Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri
- Deployed to Guam as part of continuous bomber presence in Asia-Pacific region
- Primary function: Multi-role heavy bomber
- Armament: Conventional/nuclear weapons
- Payload: 40,000 lbs.
- Crew: Two pilots
- Unit cost: Approximately $1.2 billion

The U.S. Air Force released a statement following the event, reporting that a pair of pilots from the 509th were on board and ejected. They were evaluated by medical authorities and are said to be in good condition.

The B-2 was deployed to Andersen AFB from Whiteman AFB, Missouri. Emergency responders are currently at the site of the crash and the Air Force stated that a board of officers intends to investigate the accident.

Only $1.2 billion?  Eh, don't worry...we have more money than we know what to do with.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1071 - Feb 28th, 2008 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
I think I could come up with better uses of $1.2bn.

-b0b
(...would buy every video game known to man.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1072 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Well I would do two chicks at the same time...everyday...for the rest of my life.

I think that with $1.2 billion I could hook that up.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1073 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Well I would do two chicks help 2 chicks do three dudes at the same time...everyday...for the rest of my life.

Fixed it for ya.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1074 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Feb 29th, 2008 at 12:22pm:
Quote:
Well I would do two chicks help 2 chicks do three dudes at the same time...everyday...for the rest of my life.

Fixed it for ya.

X

So me and 2 chicks with strap ons doing 3 dudes?  You have some messed up fantasies.

I would like to point out that in pat's joke I was a pitcher and not a catcher(catcher's mit!!)...therefore I am not gay!  Joke backfired on you huh?!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1075 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Really?  So a guy going down on you wouldn't make you gay either?

You need to look up your definitions then.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1076 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Whoa, settle down na!

Are you trying to tell me the guy that wanted to put the rubber fist in my anoos was gay??

Quote:
Really?  So a guy going down on you wouldn't make you gay either?

Nope, I was just there for the sex.

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1077 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Sure was alot of snow today?

/subject change

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1078 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Ah I see what you're saying Briney...you like to do a little coke before having your daisy chain.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1079 - Feb 29th, 2008 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Pfft, no snow here.  Just proves yet again ohio is better than michigan.

If queers make briney uncomfortable...why was he an art major?

...the world may never know.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 90
Send TopicPrint