Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880429 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #1095 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Everything in florida moves slower.  Thank the old people for that.

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1096 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
MARATHON, Fla. — A 75-pound stingray killed a Michigan woman Thursday when it flew out of the water and struck her face as she rode a boat in the Florida Keys, officials said.

Judy Kay Zagorski, of Pigeon, Mich., was sitting in the front seat of a boat going 25 mph when the spotted eagle ray, with a wingspan of 5 to 6 feet, leaped out of the water, said Jorge Pino, spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

The 57-year-old woman's father was driving the boat on the Atlantic Ocean side of Vaca Key, Pino said.

"He had absolutely no warning. It just happened instantaneously," Pino said.

The collision knocked Zagorski backward onto the floor of the boat, Pino said.

The impact likely killed the woman, and she did not appear to have puncture wounds from the ray's barb, Pino said. An autopsy is planned, Pino said.

Zagorski's sister was standing next to her when the stingray appeared but was not injured, Pino said.

The stingray died from the impact, officials said.

Spotted eagle rays can weigh 500 pounds and have a wingspan of up to 10 feet. They are known to occasionally jump out of the water but are not aggressive and use the venomous barb at the end of their tail for defense.

The rays are protected in Florida waters and are typically seen swimming on the water's surface.

"Rays jump to escape a predator, give birth and shake off parasites," said Lynn Gear, supervisor of fishes and reptiles at Theater of the Sea in Islamorada. "They do not attack people."

In 2006, a South Florida man was also critically injured when a stingray flopped into his boat and stung him. James Bertakis, 82, of Lighthouse Point, underwent surgery because the stingray left a foot-long barb in his heart. He has since recovered.

That's just what they want you to think!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1097 - Mar 21st, 2008 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
We've spent all this time worried about the dolphins, when the stingrays are our real enemies!

-b0b
(...remember Irwin!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1098 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
AUGUSTA — Gov. John Baldacci will sign into law today a measure that prohibits the retail sale and distribution of novelty lighters.

The bill defines a novelty lighter as something that is “designed to appear to be a toy, feature a flashing light or make musical sounds.”

Baldacci is scheduled to sign the bill at 12:30 p.m. today in his office.

Finally this law passed!  Think of how many retarded children we are saving from being burned and learning a valuable lesson.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1099 - Mar 24th, 2008 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Wow, I'm so glad the governor of Maine had the time to focus on this important piece of legislation!

-b0b
(...thinks Spanky said it best.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1100 - Mar 25th, 2008 at 9:54am
Print Post  
No, I think jerod said it best, "OUCH!  Fire hot!"

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1101 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Man Installing Satellite TV Shoots, Kills Wife
Patsy Long Died From Gunshot Wound To Chest

POSTED: 9:19 am CDT March 25, 2008
UPDATED: 12:04 pm CDT March 25, 2008

SEDALIA, Mo. -- Officials are trying to determine whether to file charges against a man who fatally shot his wife while trying to install a satellite television system in their home.

Patsy D. Long, 34, of Deep Water, was pronounced dead early Saturday evening after being shot in the chest with a .22-caliber handgun.

Pasty Long was standing outside the residence, helping her husband with the installation of a satellite television system. The couple's children were also outside.

According to sheriff's department spokesman Maj. Robert Hills, Ronald Long fired a shot from the inside of their home after several unsuccessful efforts to punch a hole through the exterior wall using other means.

Ronald Long told authorities that he fired a second shot, then called out his wife's name and the names of their two children. When he got no reply, he ran outside and found his wounded wife.

Pasty Long was hit by the second of two shots fired by Ronald Long, the Henry County Sheriff's Department said.

Hills said a person involved in such a case normally would be charged with manslaughter, but that was up to the prosecutor.

"Once we complete a diagram of the incident, we will be submitting everything to the prosecuting attorney and let him decide if he wants to press criminal charges," Hills said.

Hills described the family as being very "distraught."

Henry County Coroner Scott Largent declined to release details about Patsy Long's death until the Sheriff's Department completes its investigation.

This guy is a total dumbass.  He should have known better than to use a .22 to put a hole in the wall...

...he would have needed at least a .45ACP to get a hole big enough to run coax through!

-b0b
(...wonders if he ever got the cable run correctly?)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1102 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A Victim Treats His Mugger Right

Listen Now [3 min 12 sec] add to playlist

Julio Diaz
Enlarge

Julio Diaz recorded his story in New York City just days after he was mugged in the subway. StoryCorps

Morning Edition, March 28, 2008 · Julio Diaz has a daily routine. Every night, the 31-year-old social worker ends his hour-long subway commute to the Bronx one stop early, just so he can eat at his favorite diner.

But one night last month, as Diaz stepped off the No. 6 train and onto a nearly empty platform, his evening took an unexpected turn.

He was walking toward the stairs when a teenage boy approached and pulled out a knife.

"He wants my money, so I just gave him my wallet and told him, 'Here you go,'" Diaz says.

As the teen began to walk away, Diaz told him, "Hey, wait a minute. You forgot something. If you're going to be robbing people for the rest of the night, you might as well take my coat to keep you warm."

The would-be robber looked at his would-be victim, "like what's going on here?" Diaz says. "He asked me, 'Why are you doing this?'"

Diaz replied: "If you're willing to risk your freedom for a few dollars, then I guess you must really need the money. I mean, all I wanted to do was get dinner and if you really want to join me ... hey, you're more than welcome.

"You know, I just felt maybe he really needs help," Diaz says.

Diaz says he and the teen went into the diner and sat in a booth.

"The manager comes by, the dishwashers come by, the waiters come by to say hi," Diaz says. "The kid was like, 'You know everybody here. Do you own this place?'"

"No, I just eat here a lot," Diaz says he told the teen. "He says, 'But you're even nice to the dishwasher.'"

Diaz replied, "Well, haven't you been taught you should be nice to everybody?"

"Yea, but I didn't think people actually behaved that way," the teen said.

Diaz asked him what he wanted out of life. "He just had almost a sad face," Diaz says.

The teen couldn't answer Diaz — or he didn't want to.

When the bill arrived, Diaz told the teen, "Look, I guess you're going to have to pay for this bill 'cause you have my money and I can't pay for this. So if you give me my wallet back, I'll gladly treat you."

The teen "didn't even think about it" and returned the wallet, Diaz says. "I gave him $20 ... I figure maybe it'll help him. I don't know."

Diaz says he asked for something in return — the teen's knife — "and he gave it to me."

Afterward, when Diaz told his mother what happened, she said, "You're the type of kid that if someone asked you for the time, you gave them your watch."

"I figure, you know, if you treat people right, you can only hope that they treat you right. It's as simple as it gets in this complicated world."

If this guy isn't a Christian then he should be, and we Christians can learn a lot from him.

...sorry I have something in both my eyes.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1103 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
That's a touching story.  Hopefully the kid will take something from this lesson and change his life before it's too late.

-b0b
(...or not.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1104 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Well at least one person in the world would be that nice.  I, on the other hand, would probably not choose the same route.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1105 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I didn't feel like posting the whole story because this is all we care about:

Quote:
Each of the results below have two graphs. The first is a measure of how many of us use a particular piece of software: users versus non-users. The second graph takes the users and splits them into pirates and non-pirates. Also, I’m going to leave the polls running for a while to see how things progress over time.
PHOTOSHOP USERS

Is anyone else surprised that one of the numbers isn't drastically higher?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1106 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Not really.  Most all companies use legit software.

I just got done with a project that we had to buy a one month license to some POS touch screen interface designer.  One month for the low low price of $900.

Anyone else think this price was dreamed up by a crackhead?

...good thing it was the customer footing the bill.  Grin

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1107 - Mar 28th, 2008 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Companies often inadvertently buy far more licenses than they needed, or buy a full license when they really only need an upgrade.

For instance, Joe Corp. buy 1,000 workstations in 2008.  They buy 1,000 licenses of Symantec AV, GFI LANGuard, and Proprietary Product A.

In 2010, they trash the first 350 PCs to start a a 1/3-per-year replacement cycle.  When they buy 350 new PC's, they also buy 350 more licenses for Symantec, GFI, and Proprietary Product A.  They probably could have just reused the GFI and Proprietary licenses, and paid a much-lower upgrade cost for the Symantec licenses.

The way to prevent this from happening is to maintain solid software logs, but that requires effort and a lot of network guys won't do it.

-b0b
(...has seen this quite a bit.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1108 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
I was having a good day until I saw this.

Seriously, california makes me want to drown kittens.

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1109 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
I dont know if you  know this, but thats the whole freakin point of global warming hype...

Taxes taxes and more taxes...  The auto producers will continue to make cars that spew out "global warming gases" that the gov, etc will tax. Super nice deal there. Its free money for them, of course they are going to leap at it.

Will be funny in a few years when the weather continues to cool as it has been doing. Shove it Al Gore!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 90
Send TopicPrint