Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880035 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #1140 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Briney and I said the same thing the other day.  This kid needs to think his plans through before he tries and carry them out.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1141 - May 1st, 2008 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
Hilarious and true!

Quote:
"In the wake of a lawsuit by J.K. Rowling against the author of a Harry Potter encyclopedia, the Greensboro Rhino Times has an article by Orson Scott Card blasting J.K. Rowling for 'letting herself be talked into being outraged over a perfectly normal publishing activity.' Orson Scott Card has hit the nail on the head. He understands that authors re-use each others' ideas all the time, and certainly Ender's Game gets its share of re-use. Did Rowling's success go to her head?" Card lays out (something like tongue-in-cheek) some of the similarities between the story in Ender's Game and in the Potter series: "A young kid growing up in an oppressive family situation suddenly learns that he is one of a special class of children with special abilities, who are to be educated in a remote training facility where student life is dominated by an intense game played by teams flying in midair, at which this kid turns out to be exceptionally talented and a natural leader." (And that's just to get started.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1142 - May 1st, 2008 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
That's it, I'm buying Ender's Game the next time I'm at Lowry's.  I've been meaning to buy the series for several years now, but this seals the deal!

-b0b
(...give that man a cookie!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1143 - May 7th, 2008 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A man has been accused of attempting to pass a $360 billion check, which he claims was given to him by his girlfriend’s mother to start a record business, Fort Worth police said.

Charles Ray Fuller Charles Ray Fuller, 21, of Crowley, was arrested on April 22 on an accusation of forgery, police said.

Police responded to a report of a man attempting to pass the check about 4 p.m. that day at the Chase bank in the 8600 block of South Hulen Street, Fort Worth police Lt. Paul Henderson said.

The personal check was not made out to Mr. Fuller and when the bank contacted the check owner, the woman said she did not write a check for $360 billion.

Mr. Fuller was also accused of unlawful carrying of a weapon and possession of marijuana, Lt. Henderson said. He may also face a theft charge in Crowley.

Lt. Henderson said he did not know if Mr. Fuller and his girlfriend were still together.

Did he really think that would work?  And what the hell, if I had that kind of money I would not start my own business.

He should be convicted of gross stupidity and killed before he infects any of the others around him.

And look at his pic.  Priceless.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1144 - May 7th, 2008 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
If you're going to dream, dream big!  He looks like an honest guy to me.   Smiley

I wish they'd post a picture of the forged check.  I'd love to see how he crammed $360,000,000,000 into the tiny "Amount" box.

-b0b
(...thinks that must be one hell of a record company.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1145 - May 7th, 2008 at 5:08pm
Print Post  

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #1146 - May 7th, 2008 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Where did he come up with the number 360 anyway?

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1147 - May 7th, 2008 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
And why billion and not million?  If you're going to try to scam a bank, why a number so large that it's going to be checked and double checked?

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1148 - May 8th, 2008 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Anything over $10,000 would have drawn a lot of scrutiny and would have to be reported to the Fed.

Besides, any check larger than, say, $1,000 would have to sit in his account "on hold" until the funds were approved.

As far as this guy was concerned, the difference between $360 million and $360 billion is moot.

-b0b
(...bank training FTW!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1149 - May 8th, 2008 at 8:26am
Print Post  
You wouldn't double check a check made out for $360 million??

Quote:

XBox...duh.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1150 - May 8th, 2008 at 8:28am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on May 8th, 2008 at 8:26am:
Quote:

XBox...duh.

Beat me to it!

-b0b
(...duh!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1151 - May 8th, 2008 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
Beat me to it!

Then the day is mine!

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1152 - May 20th, 2008 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Quote:
MORRIS, Ill. - Police say a trailer loaded with 14 tons of double-stuffed Oreos has overturned, spilling the cookies still in their plastic sleeves into the median and roadway.

Illinois State Police Sgt. Brian Mahoney says the truck's driver was traveling from Chicago to Morris on Interstate 80 around 4 a.m. Monday when he fell asleep at the wheel and slammed into the median.

"The boxes came out of the trailer and boxes were ripped open," he said.

The crash about 50 miles southwest of Chicago remains under investigation.

Mahoney says no charges have been filed but both lanes of traffic remain closed while authorities remove the cookies.

Why did God have to punish the cookies?!...WHY!!!!!  Why couldn't he just kill more asians...hmmm too soon?

I can hear it come over the radio now, "Code 220, I repeat we need milk out here right away!"  It was a dirty job but someone had to do the clean up.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1153 - May 20th, 2008 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sen. Kennedy has malignant brain tumor
By Robert Schroeder, MarketWatch
Last update: 1:47 p.m. EDT May 20, 2008

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Sen. Edward Kennedy, a longtime Massachusetts Democrat, has a malignant brain tumor, his office said Tuesday.
Kennedy's doctors said tests conducted after Kennedy had a seizure over the weekend show a tumor in his left parietal lobe.
His treatment will be decided after more tests, AP said. The usual course of treatment includes radiation and chemotherapy.
Kennedy is 76. He has been hospitalized in Boston since Saturday. "He remains in good spirits and full of energy," said Dr. Lee Schwamm and Dr. Larry Ronan, doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital in a statement released by the hospital.
Kennedy, an elder statesman of the Democratic party, has been enthusiastically campaigning for Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., in the presidential race.
Kennedy has the second-longest tenure of any senator. He is the chairman of the Senate Health, Education and Labor and Pensions. He was elected in 1962 to finish out the term of his brother after John F. Kennedy ascended to the White House. He ran unsuccessfully for the presidency in 1980 against President Jimmy Carter.
Kennedy's hospitalization came seven months after the senator underwent surgery to remove blockage in his left carotid artery that doctors say could have increased his risk of stroke.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/sen-kennedy-has-malignant-brain/story.aspx...

I'm going to resist the urge to comment on this story.  I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, but dang...

-b0b
(...bah!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1154 - May 21st, 2008 at 7:46am
Print Post  
Quote:
Jack Thompson Guilty on 27 of 31 Misconduct Charges, Says Bar Trial Judge... FL Supreme Court Must Now Rule
May 20, 2008

The judge who presided over Jack Thompson's Florida Bar trial late last year has recommended that the controversial attorney be found guilty on 27 of 31 professional misconduct charges. The Florida Supreme Court must now rule on those recommendations.

In a report issued last week, Judge Dava Tunis writes:

After considering the arguments presented by the Florida Bar and the Respondent (Thompson), observing the Respondent's demeanor during the nine-day trial proceedings, and carefully reviewing the record consisting of four volumes of exhibits totaling 1700 pages and approximately 2400 pages of transcribed testimony, the Court finds that the facts, circumstances and evidence presented regarding the Respondent's conduct, supports a finding of guilt as to certain Florida Bar rules...

Tunis made 21 recommendations of guilt in relation to Thompson's participation in Strickland vs. Sony, an Alabama case in which the anti-game attorney represented the families of two police officers and a police dispatcher slain by 18-year-old Grand Theft Auto player Devin Moore.

Tunis also recommended that Thompson be found guilty on four out of five counts relating to his 2006 attempt to have Rockstar's Bully declared a public nuisance in a case before Miami Judge Ronald Friedman. An additional two guilty counts stemmed from a non-video game matter.

Among the Florida Bar offenses for which Judge Tunis has recommended a guilty verdict:

* Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
    * Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
    * Communicating the merits of the case with a judge before whom the proceeding is pending
    * Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
    * Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
    * Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
    * Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge

Judge Tunis's full report to the Florida Supreme Court is due on September 2nd. In the meantime, a disciplinary hearing regarding possible sanctions against Thompson will be held before Judge Tunis on June 4th.

For his part, Thompson has made a number of allegations concerning Judge Tunis, including a complaint that state-mandated loyalty oaths were either not signed by the judge or were signed by others. Thompson also has filed federal lawsuits against the Florida Bar and Florida Supreme Court in relation to the Bar charges and other sanctions.

For all GamePolitics coverage of the Bar Trial of Jack Thompson, including transcripts, click here.

*Tap dances on Jack Thompson's grave*
Jack - I'm not dead yet.
*Uses what I learn from GTA and all other violent video games...have sex with a prostitute and then beat her to death to get my money back!...the continue to dance*

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 90
Send TopicPrint