Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880570 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #135 - May 5th, 2006 at 11:45am
Print Post  
20 games?  What a noob.

-b0b
(...pedestrian!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #136 - May 5th, 2006 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060505/2006-05-05T102918Z_01_L05500235_RTRIDS...

Quote:
MOSCOW (Reuters) - A speech by Vice President Dick Cheney strongly critical of the Kremlin marks the start of a new Cold War that could drive Moscow away from its new-found Western allies, the Russian press said on Friday.

In shocked reaction to the harshest U.S. criticism of Moscow for years, commentators said Washington had created an anti-Russian cordon of Western-aligned states stretching from the Baltic almost to the Caspian Sea.

Quote:
The Russian press agreed, comparing Cheney's words to a 1946 speech by British statesman Winston Churchill in Fulton, Missouri, when he said Europe was divided by an "Iron Curtain."

"Enemy at the Gates. Dick Cheney made a Fulton speech in Vilnius," said business daily Kommersant's front page headline.

"Vice President Dick Cheney made a keynote speech on relations between the West and Russia in which he practically established the start of the second Cold War ... The Cold War has restarted, only now the front lines have shifted," it said.

Stuff like that just warms my heart.

...thanks Cheney.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #137 - May 5th, 2006 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I was in a parking lot, drunk.

I was chatting with some people, and drinking, when a cop pulled up.  The cop of course pulled up behind me, and being drunk, I didn't think anything of the sound of a car pulling in behind me.

My friends suddenly get real quiet and someone taps me on the shoulder.

I turn around and say - "What do you want shithead?" - thinking its Ryan.

And walla.....Colorado Springs Police badge right in my face.  He smiled and lectured me about how much trouble I could get in for calling a cop a name and being intoxicated in public.  Then he checked all of our ID's and told us to walk back to our house (Which wasn't very far away).

End of story.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #138 - May 5th, 2006 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on May 5th, 2006 at 1:27pm:
...thanks Cheney.

What in the world is he thinking?  What an idiot!

-b0b
(...should run for Vice President.)

IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Reply #139 - May 5th, 2006 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
TAMPA, Florida (AP) -- A 14-year-old boy who died after he was kicked and beaten at a juvenile boot camp was suffocated by the guards who roughed him up, a medical examiner said Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/05/boot.camp.death.ap/index.html

Well, I bet he learned his lesson.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #140 - May 5th, 2006 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
I'm sure we're all deeply saddened by the loss of one of society's finest young men.

-b0b
(...doffs his cap.)

IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Reply #141 - May 5th, 2006 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
Since when werre 14 year old punks known as young men?  I thought they were just 14 year old little punks. 

I didn't get time to read the whole article to see what happened before I went to work so I'll have to check it out later.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #142 - May 6th, 2006 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
06 May 2006

By Dan Buckley, Alan Good and Eoin English
THERE’S nothing quite like the roar of waves crashing on the beach to wipe away the cobwebs — unless it happens to be the scream of a US Navy F-14 Tomcat overhead.

Whichever was loudest appears to have masked the moment a piece of combat aviation history fell to earth recently and ended up on a beach in west Cork.

An investigation was underway last night after what is believed to be a large part of the structure of the US Navy fighter jet was found washed up yesterday by a retired Aer Lingus pilot.

The piece, about the size of a family car, is thought to be one of the tail fins from a twin-tail F-14 Tomcat — the jet featured in the movie Top Gun.

Retired Aer Lingus captain Charlie Coughlan made the amazing discovery at Long Strand at Owenahincha, near Rosscarbery.

“I just couldn’t believe it,” he said. “The paint is still perfect. It appears to have broken off the aircraft. I could see a spar inside — it’s cracked, not cut.”

The debris, which measures eight feet by four feet, is military grey and features a flying skeleton, the insignia of VF-101 squadron — also known as the Grim Reapers — who up until recently were the US Navy’s F-14 training squad.

“It is quite a substantial piece; you would think it would have sunk but the inside is layered with honeycomb material and that could have made it buoyant,” said Mr Coughlan.

“There are no barnacles on it, so I would say it has only been in the water a few months.”

He notified the Irish Aviation Authority who in turn contacted the gardaν. They sealed off the scene yesterday and handed the investigation over to the Air Navigation Investigation Unit.

A senior garda said there were no reports of any aircraft missing in the area. The US Navy seems equally mystified.

A spokesman at the Pentagon said last night that they were not aware of any missing tail fins.

“We don’t fly F-14s any more,” said Lieutenant Jim Marks. “They were decommissioned earlier this year.”

The F-14 Tomcat, with its distinctive swept wings, twin vertical fins and engines, and state-of-the-art technology, was one of the most formidable fighter jets in US combat aviation history.

Designed primarily as a naval air-to-air fighter, the Tomcat also proved adept in ground attack capabilities, tactical reconnaissance and precision strikes. The first prototype flew in 1970 and its first combat deployment began in 1972.

Both the Tomcat and its fighter squadrons were finally mothballed in January after more than three decades of combat duty.

A sense of that history can be found on the US Navy website. Wannabe Tom Cruises can download a computer video game designed to test the mettle of those intent on a career with the force.

Called the US Navy Training Exercise, the website declares it is being “conducted to help us evaluate future recruitment benchmarks”. Naturally, it has a code name: Strike & Retrieve.

The Navy says: “NTE: Strike & Retrieve presents a mental challenge that requires both sound reasoning and quick- thinking action on your part. At the navy we know the missions of the future will be determined not by who is the strongest but by who is the smartest.”

And, presumably, whoever manages to hang on to their tail-fins.

F-14 Tomcat factfile
Manufacturer: Grumman.
Introduced: Sept 1974.
Retired: 2006 (US Navy).
Built: 675.
Unit cost: $38 million.
Top speed: 1,544mph
Crew: Two.
Weapons:
M61 Gatling gun.
Air-to-air missiles.
Laser-guided bombs.

It must've been one of the sub-launched F-14's deployed for Top Secret missions deep into UK territory.  Smiley

-b0b
(...knows this stuff.)

IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Reply #143 - May 8th, 2006 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
From Newish, to ancient....

Quote:
Did Monks Try to Make Gold?
By Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News

May 5, 2006 — A ceramic cone unearthed at a remote British abbey might indicate that Cistercian monks implemented the Benedectine motto "ora et labora" (pray and work) with another rule: "make gold."

On display for the first time at Bylands Abbey, which was founded in 1137 by Cistercian monks in North Yorkshire, the cone is what's known as an alembic.

The delicate apparatus, 8 inches tall and 6 inches across the base, originally sat on top of a "cucurbit" — a heated gourd-shaped pottery vessel that held a boiling concoction. Vapors given off by the boiling mixture would have passed though a small hole at the cone's apex into a pipe connected to a condenser.

The alembic could have been used in medicinal preparations, to distill alcoholic spirits by monks who fancied an illicit tipple, or in pursuit of the alchemist's dream — gold.

"Since no chemical traces have been found on the surface, we have no way of being certain of its use. However, we know that certain Cistercians, as with other monks, did experiment in alchemy," Kevin Booth, English Heritage's senior curator in the North, told Discovery News.

Born in ancient Egypt, where it flourished in the Hellenistic period, alchemy is considered the forerunner of chemistry.

Following the Aristotelian theory of elements, which stated that all things consisted of fire, air, water and earth, the early alchemists believed that gold could be obtained by altering the elements in a base metal.

A little shift in one metal's composition would have made a metal of low esteem, such as lead, turn into tin, iron, copper, mercury and finally, gold. Alchemists would have also tried to stimulate transmutation with a specific agent — the legendary philosopher's stone.

The Cistercians, known as the White Monks to distinguish themselves from the largest black-robed Benedictine congregation, banned alchemy in 1317. Despite the ban, rumors had it that the monks at Bylands Abbey had long tried to create gold.

Indeed, the alembic would support the account of 15th-century scholar Richard Dove of Buckfast, who described how one monk, Richard Archebold, saddled the Order with great debts in an attempt to "pursue the unattainable."

In 1470, Archebold wrote the abbot claiming he had managed to convert an amalgam of metals into gold, and asked for a loan in order to continue his experiments. By 1479, Archebold and the Bylands monks had accumulated substantial debts.

"This is an interesting story, but we should not run out the more likely uses, such as distilling alcoholic spirits. If the alembic had been found in association with mercury, then I would suspect alchemy. There was an example of this from a monastic site in Stamford, Lincolnshire, which contained other evidence of alchemy," archaeologist Glyn Coppack, author of The White Monks: Cistercians in Britain, told Discovery News.

Indeed, the Stamford vessel was found near a urinal: Urine, with quicksilver, was considered an essential ingredient of the alchemist's art.

"The line between religion and science was very blurred in those days. These findings do not directly support the claim of monks trying to make gold, but they certainly add to that possibility, Booth said.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #144 - May 8th, 2006 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
That sounds like a huge leap of logic.  "They had an alchemical device, so they must've been trying to make gold!"  That's like saying I'm trying to win the Indianapolis 500 simply because I own a vehicle.

Horrible, horrible journalism!

-b0b
(...wonders if the alembic was Novice, Journeyman, Master, etc?)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #145 - May 8th, 2006 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
(...wonders if the alembic was Novice, Journeyman, Master, etc?)

Nerd!!!

...oh and it was an Expert Alembic.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #146 - May 8th, 2006 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Or possibly the elusive Grand Masters Alembic....

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #147 - May 8th, 2006 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Sadness for the whole Geek race.

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #148 - May 8th, 2006 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
i wish i knew what you kids were talking about.

cait 

(...farmer's almanac?)

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #149 - May 8th, 2006 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on May 8th, 2006 at 4:27pm:
Or possibly the elusive Grand Masters Alembic....

What is this Grand Master's Alembic you speak of?  IT MUST BE MINE!

-b0b
(...Googles!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 90
Send TopicPrint