Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880323 times)
Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #345 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
by fairytale ending i mean the father dumps the shit stepmother and stays with the girls to make them okay.

or---the girls get adopted by a loving, caring family.

X, you're either a cynic to the core or have watched too many episodes of Law & Order: SVU

Cait

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #346 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
by fairytale ending i mean the father dumps the shit stepmother and stays with the girls to make them okay.

If that pathetic excuse for a "father" get his children back, it's anything but a fairytale ending.  Both of those parents should be taken out back and shot.  Do not pass go, do not collection $200.

-b0b
(...grrr!)

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #347 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
....I dont really think the father knew what was going on, though.

perhaps I'm mistaken on this one.

Cait
   (...apologizes since she's working on a less than appropriate level of sleep lately)

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #348 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Bull.  There is no possible way he didn't know what was going on.  Willful neglect, nothing less.

-b0b
(...weoihewgoiuh12312423!!)

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #349 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 3:30pm
Print Post  
well, since we all dont know the "whole story", lets just all pray the girls have a happy, healthy life.

k?

Cait
   (...knows its a longshot, but miracles happen, right?)

― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #350 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
Cait I know you and I spar sometimes but you've hit the nail on the head.

I am both cynical and have watched too many eps of SVU (being serious here).  Yet I have also seen and read the horror stories of children's lives ending in carnage when the government steps in without any oversite.

X
(Loves SVU...Richard Belzer's character the most...he's a conspiracy guy in the show and in real life)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #351 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
and I understand how many children's lives get screwed up by abusive parents and the government (I, too, am a big SVU fan.) 

And this is really unfortunate and I hope there is a way around that for these girls so that their lives improve greatly.

Cait
  (....actually watched SVU last night)

― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #352 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
There is a way for their lives to improve, but their worthless father isn't part of that.

-b0b
(...still thinks he needs to be surgically castrated.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #353 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
AMD agrees to buy ATI for about $5.4 billion

By Franklin Paul Mon Jul 24, 2:39 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (NYSE:AMD - news) said on Monday it would buy Canadian graphics chipmaker ATI Technologies Inc. for $5.4 billion, in what analysts called an aggressive but expensive move to compete with Intel Corp.
ADVERTISEMENT

The deal will give AMD, the No. 2 supplier of computer processors, better high-end graphics products for mobile computing, gaming and media markets putting pressure on its larger rival Intel (Nasdaq:INTC - news).

Under the terms of the pact, AMD will pay $4.2 billion in cash and 57 million shares of AMD common stock. That is about $20.47 for each ATI (Nasdaq:ATYT - news)(Toronto:ATY.TO - news) share, a 24 percent premium over ATI's closing price on Nasdaq on Friday. AMD will take on $2.5 billion in new debt to complete the deal.

While there are potential savings from the deal, it also compounds the risk facing AMD, which is embroiled in a bitter price war with Intel, analysts said.

"AMD must take on another significant amount of debt, which could be compounded with even more debt as the firm has laid out an aggressive capacity expansion plan for the next several years," Stifel, Nicolaus & Co. analyst Cody Acree wrote in a note to clients. AMD plans to spend $5 billion to increase capacity.

It expects to finance the cash portion of the transaction with a combination of cash and new debt. It has obtained a $2.5 billion term loan commitment from Morgan Stanley Senior Funding to help pay for the pact.

Ratings agencies Standard & Poor's and Moody's Investors Service said on Monday they may cut AMD's credit ratings as a result of the acquisition.

MAKES LITTLE SENSE

Since rumors of a deal first emerged in May, many industry analysts have voiced skepticism, saying it made little financial or strategic sense for AMD to buy ATI outright.

"There's probably the sound of champagne corks being let fly at Intel headquarters right now," said Brian Piccioni, an analyst at BMO Capital Markets. "Basically, AMD has bet the company on this transaction."

AMD shares slipped 3.7 percent to $17.56 on the
New York Stock Exchange, Intel shares rose 1.2 percent to $17.37 and ATI rose 18 percent to $19.59.

ATI rival Nvidia Corp. (Nasdaq:NVDA - news), whose shares rose 8.8 percent, to $19.32, may also stand to benefit as ATI is absorbed into AMD. "There's a good chance that ATI in a year is not going to be ATI as it is right now, and that would be for the net benefit of Nvidia," he said.

ATI is also a big supplier of chipsets -- the cluster of secondary chips and interfaces that surround a computer's processor -- for both AMD and Intel.

An AMD executive told Reuters he expected Intel to "move away from ATI" as a supplier as it is integrated into AMD.

He said there is no plan to reduce research and development spending as a result of the merger, nor any major layoffs.

The acquisition is expected to slightly add to earnings in 2007, and AMD said it will be "meaningfully accretive" in 2008, before the inclusion of acquisition-related charges. It sees a reduction of operating expenses by about $75 million for the combined company by the end of 2007.

However, Bank of America analyst Sumit Dhanda said that while the addition of ATI's revenue will boost AMD's 2007 sales by about $2.9 billion, the acquisition will likely shrink profit margins for AMD over the long term.

"We anticipate a reduction to... consensus estimates following the acquisition," Dhanda said in a note to clients.

ATI Chief Technology Officer Adrian Hartog said he saw short-term opportunities starting in 2007 to grow market share in the "commercial and mobile platforms within the PC space."

ATI said it has agreed to a termination fee of $162 million. The deal is subject to the approval of ATI shareholders and regulators in the United States and Canada.

(Additional reporting by Wojtek Dabrowski in Toronto, Anna Driver in New York and Jessica Hall in Philadelphia)

Wow that is just awesome!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #354 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
That's not awesome, that's stupid.  The last thing AMD needs to be doing right now is assuming a higher debtload.  Getting your credit rating cut is no small matter in the business world.

Switching from my financial hat to my technological hat, this is also a potentially bad move for us geeks.  Consolidation hurts competition and limits innovation, meaning a slower progression of new video products.  Besides, AMD has been in a life-or-death struggle against Intel from the very beginning.  They don't need to add another Silicon Valley powerhouse, nVidia, to the list of people that want to see them dead.

-b0b
(...doesn't get this at all.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #355 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Ya this hurts me. I stick to a nVidia + AMD combination in all my machines. This kinda stinks

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #356 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 11:42am
Print Post  
How long until incompatabilities start showing up when you mix an Intel chipset with an ATI video card?  Or an AMD chipset and an nVidia card?  Like Briney, I used an AMD processor and an nVidia video card, so this feels like seriously bad mojo for me.

-b0b
(...is feeling a wee bit insecure.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #357 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Andrea Yates was found not guilty by reason of insanity.

-b0b
(...will post an article later.)

IP Logged

theelbrando
GeekCrew n00b

Got r00t?

Reply #358 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
9 out of 10 too.....that darn Car got me...i should have known.....Cars always fool me

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #359 - Jul 26th, 2006 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
someone should have shot andrea yates on her way out of the court house.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 90
Send TopicPrint