Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879756 times)
Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #375 - Jul 27th, 2006 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
If I killed five children, insane and depressed, I would expect to die.  Shouldn't I honor them?

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #376 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
I had intended to continue this discussion in a mature and reasonable manner, but it appears we've migrated to personal insults in lieu if a real conversation.  I think that's beneath us, and I'm disappointed it took that turn.  You'll forgive me if I withdraw from this discussion.

-b0b

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #377 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Since hindsight is 20/20...

I definitely have to admit that I was sans medication (and perhaps a tad bit tipsy) when I wrote what I did. 

This is more of a clarification than an apology, however.

In a more stable state of mind I probably would have typed something very similar, only significantly less explosive.

Ban me if you must.  I haven't exactly been a model citizen these days, both in virtual and in real life.

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #378 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
I stand by my statement.  Anyone who is beyond forgiveness and understanding of their own man is beyond forgiveness of their own "god".  So says your bible.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #379 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
This discussion should not have gotten personal, methinks. The topic was interesting enough without getting personal feelings mixed in. Also, noone will ever get banned, only bots get banned.  Smiley

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Reply #380 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Marie wrote on Jul 30th, 2006 at 3:34pm:
Since hindsight is 20/20...

I definitely have to admit that I was sans medication (and perhaps a tad bit tipsy) when I wrote what I did. 

This is more of a clarification than an apology, however.

In a more stable state of mind I probably would have typed something very similar, only significantly less explosive.

Ban me if you must.  I haven't exactly been a model citizen these days, both in virtual and in real life.

Naw, we'd hate to loose your girlfriend Smiley  (It'll be a while till I drop that :p )

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #381 - Jul 31st, 2006 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Torrentspy Asks Why Hollywood Isn't Suing Google Too
from the don't-give-them-any-ideas dept

For years, we've pointed out that the entertainment industry doesn't seem to get that many of the individuals and companies they go after for file sharing are just search engines. Just because they're vertically focused, it doesn't make them any different than Google. In fact, last year, when Norway tried to outlaw sites that simply linked to downloadable MP3s, we wondered if they had effectively outlawed Google. It seems that the folks at torrent search engine Torrentspy have picked up on this line of reasoning as well. If you remember, Torrentspy is challenging the entertainment industry, pointing out that they're just a search engine, they don't infringe and (a la the Grokster decision) they don't induce infringement either. They've now put that "just a search engine" defense directly into their court filings. Threadwatch points out that their latest filing to dismiss the case wonders why the MPAA isn't suing Google as well, since they effectively do the same thing. As the filing notes: "There is nothing alleged to distinguish defendants' website from that maintained by Google. Everything alleged about defendants' website is true about Google, and even more so, because Google outperforms the allegations in the complaint." Of course, given the way the entertainment industry reacts these days, you never know... they might just sue Google next.

Next stop...the 30 million torrent users!  The court calls A. Aadam, B. ..............................................................Z. Zoltra

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #382 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 1:08am
Print Post  
http://www.local6.com/news/9602820/detail.html

Quote:
SHANGHAI, China -- Shanghai has constructed a massive underground bunker complex capable of sheltering 200,000 people from a nuclear attack, a local newspaper reported.

The million-square-foot complex connects to shopping centers, office buildings, apartment buildings and the subway system via miles of tunnels, the Shanghai Morning Post said in an exclusive report.

Looks like China is getting ready for something. Where are our tunnels?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #383 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 1:09am
Print Post  
No kidding.  I want some freakin' tunnels...

-b0b
(...seriously!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #384 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 3:08am
Print Post  
Well it's easy to build these multi-billion dollar places when you supress your people and take most of their money away from them.  You need room for your political system, your top generals, and a few scientists who can make war after the nuclear winter!

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #385 - Aug 1st, 2006 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2293700,00.html

A detailed article on the closure of Cheyenne mountain.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #386 - Aug 2nd, 2006 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Not a single nuclear power plant has been commissioned in the United States since 1978, but that is about to change as General Electric and Hitachi have announced a joint venture to build two nuclear power plants in Texas.

The Texas project, announced in June with plants scheduled to begin operations in 2014, is expected to be the first in a new wave of economical and emissions-free nuclear power plants.

NRG Energy, which will operate the plants, has already filed a request with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to build the plants in Matagorda County about 70 miles southwest of Houston. Construction of the plants will cost $2.6 billion each, but they will thereafter produce power for a fraction of the cost of traditional power plants. NRG expects the new plants will create 6,000 new construction jobs and 1,000 permanent operator jobs.

http://www.heartland.org/Article.cfm?artId=19473

Now, if only California would get on board...

-b0b
(...or fall into the ocean.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #387 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 1:44am
Print Post  
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/08/03/microsoft.hackers.ap/index.html

You can't tell me that Microsoft actually came up with a helpful and intelligent plan like this?  Someone tell me I'm in the Twilight Zone or dreaming or this is a August 5th joke or something!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #388 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
That's nothing surprising.  Microsoft has done similar things with nearly every major operating system release.

With Windows 2000, they actually hosted a box on the Interweb and offered to let hackers take a stab at it.  They succeeded!

-b0b
(...is old school like that.)

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #389 - Aug 6th, 2006 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
Things that make you go hmm...

Volcanic eruption 'triggered biblical parting of Red Sea'
Tony Allen-Mills, New York

THE greatest story ever told has acquired a Hollywood twist. James Cameron, the director of Titanic, is the executive producer of a new documentary that claims to have uncovered fresh evidence confirming one of the most dramatic episodes in the Old Testament — the parting of the Red Sea and the Jewish exodus from Egypt.

In The Exodus Decoded, a 90-minute documentary that will be shown in America this month, Cameron and Simcha Jacobovici, the Canadian film producer, claim a volcanic eruption on the Greek archipelago of Santorini triggered a chain of natural catastrophes recorded in the Bible as the 10 plagues that God visited upon Egypt as punishment for enslaving the Jews.

Cameron believes the parting of the Red Sea may have been a tsunami that destroyed the pharaoh’s army as it pursued the escaping Jews. The documentary claims the episode occurred not at the Red Sea but at the smaller Sea of Reeds, a marshy area at the northern end of the Gulf of Suez. An underwater earthquake may have released poisonous gases that turned the waters red.

Jacobovici said “the common wisdom is there isn’t a single piece of archeological evidence backing up the biblical story of the exodus”. Jewish scholars have reluctantly concurred that an episode central to their faith — commemorated each year at Passover — may never have taken place.

Yet Cameron and Jacobovici claim to have unearthed more than a dozen archeological relics that suggest the exodus took place three centuries earlier than biblical scholars estimate. By reinterpreting artwork at museums in Luxor, Cairo, Athens and elsewhere, Jacobovici dates the exodus to around 1500BC.

That was about the time when some geologists believe the Santorini volcano, 400 miles north of Egypt, erupted in the eastern Mediterranean. Scientists and historians have long speculated that the 10 “plagues” suffered by Egypt might have been linked in a “domino theory” of natural causes.
The documentary’s website argues that a series of earthquakes may have “destabilised the entire Nile Delta system and resulted in part of the delta sliding off the African continental shelf”. This would have raised the level of land around the Sea of Reeds, believed to have been saltwater swamps around El Balah, the now extinct lake.

“In other words, the sea parted,” the website says. “Water would have cascaded from higher ground to lower ground . . . creating dry land on which the Israelites could cross. This event would also have caused an enormous ‘backsplash’ of water, a veritable tsunami. If the waves went a mere seven miles inland they would have engulfed the Egyptian army.”

The Exodus producers believe the waters were turned red by chemicals released by underwater tremors. Something similar happened to the lakes in Cameroon in 1986. If the waters were poisoned, amphibians would hop ashore, producing the biblical plague of frogs. When the frogs died, insects would have bred on their bodies leading to plagues of locusts, fleas and lice.

They in turn would have spread disease to humans, the plague of boils, and animals, the plague of dying livestock. They would also have threatened crops, forcing the Egyptians to store grain which might have then turned mouldy. Contaminated food might account for the plague of deaths among first-born Egyptian males. Weather conditions spawned by the eruption might also have caused the plagues of hailstorms and darkness.

“It’s individual pieces that start to form a compelling pattern,” said Cameron.

(just skimmed through it; will read and process more thoroughly after shower and homework; if it turns out to be stupid I apologize in advance for wasting your time; I really could use some human interaction right about now; the past two days have been spent almost entirely in my room; I miss my family, my friends, my cats, and the kids at church because I couldn't get a ride this weekend; only two weeks of summer left!)

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 90
Send TopicPrint