Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880259 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #495 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Error 10061!

-b0b
(...no page for j00!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #496 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Ya the page has been acting kind of weird...however it does in fact work...when it's not crashed.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #497 - Dec 27th, 2006 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Exclusive: A Serenity Sequel?
This one's for the Browncoats.
by IGN FilmForce

December 1, 2005 - IGN FilmForce has heard that, although it was very disappointed in the poor box office showing for Serenity, Universal may not have retired Captain Malcolm Reynolds and his renegade crew just yet.

Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on DVD, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel, which is part of the NBC Universal family.

The project is said to be a lower budget undertaking streamlined for the small-screen.

IGN FilmForce checked with Joss Whedon's camp who denied the claim; Universal did not comment.

Time will tell if this rumor pans out.

I think we can all agree whether Christian or Muslim...Jewish or Buddhist....Believer or Atheist...we can all pray for this movie to be brought forth!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #498 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 9:10am
Print Post  
As much as I love Firefly and Serenity, the conclusion to Serenity was about as... conclusive... as it gets.  I want Wash back, darn it!

-b0b
(...a leaf upon the wind.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #499 - Dec 28th, 2006 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
While I have to agree with you bob that once that ended it was all over for any hope I had for Firefly to come back on...I guess it served its point then.

However this could be a prequel, during the war...or Whedon could just say...hey here's an adventure that happened in between Serenity and Firefly.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #500 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Quote:
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070101/ap_on_re_us/banned_words

Irritating, worn-out words of '06 banned

By SVEN GUSTAFSON, Associated Press Writer
Mon Jan 1, 12:30 AM ET

If the media's habit of combining celebrity names didn't cause word watchers enough heartburn in 2006, the past year had plenty of other words and phrases that language purists wish had "gone missing."

Lake Superior State University on Sunday released its annual "List of Words and Phrases Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness."

The Sault Ste. Marie school in the Upper Peninsula has been compiling the list since 1976 to attract publicity. A total of 16 words or phrases were selected by a university committee from more than 4,500 nominations.

The list reads like a lexicon of popular culture.

Take "ask your doctor," the mantra of pharmaceutical commercials. The university called it "the chewable vitamin morphine of marketing."

Critics piled on the media's practice of combined celebrity names such as "TomKat" or "Brangelina." One said, "It's so annoying, idiotic and so lame and pathetic that it's "lamethetic.'"

Real estate listings were targeted for overuse of "boast." As in "master bedroom boasts his-and-her fireplaces — never 'bathroom apologizes for cracked linoleum,'" quipped Morris Conklin of Portugal.

It wasn't hard to find the phrase "gone/went missing" in 2006. "It makes 'missing' sound like a place you can visit, such as the Poconos. Is the person missing, or not?" asked Robin Dennis of Texas.

The university's word watchers had no use for "truthiness," the word popularized by Comedy Central satirist Stephen Colbert. It was selected as the word that best summed up 2006 in an online survey by dictionary publisher Merriam-Webster.

The list, which in recent years has included such gems as "show me the money, "erectile dysfunction" and "holiday tree," is closing in on its 1,000th banishment. And despite the university's vigilance, university spokesman Tom Pink said he's not aware that any dictionaries have followed its advice.

"Sometimes people write us and tell us, 'This isn't working,'" Pink said. "I tell them we need an enforcement division."

I vote to add the following words:
  • Bling
  • Irregardless
  • Seriously
  • In all honesty
  • Git 'r done
  • Overuse of "had," as in "I had parked the car"
  • Where you at?
  • Metrosexual
  • Wassup dawg?
  • "Try and" instead of "try to"
  • Undocumented Alien

I'll stop there for my own sanity.

-b0b
    (...realizes that resistance is futile.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #501 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Pat Robertson
VIRGINIA BEACH, Virginia — Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson predicted Tuesday a horrific terrorist act on the United States that will result in "mass killing" late in 2007.

"I'm not necessarily saying it's going to be nuclear," he said during his news-and-talk television show "The 700 Club" on the Christian Broadcasting Network. "The Lord didn't say nuclear. But I do believe it will be something like that."

Robertson said God told him during a recent prayer retreat that major cities and possibly millions of people will be affected by the attack, which should take place sometime after September.

"I put these things out with humility," he said.

Robertson said God also told him that the U.S. only feigns friendship with Israel and that U.S. policies are pushing Israel toward "national suicide."

Robertson suggested in January 2006 that God punished then-Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon with a stroke for ceding Israeli-controlled land to the Palestinians.

Predicting events for the coming year is an annual tradition for Robertson.

He predicted in January 2004 that President George W. Bush would easily win re-election. Bush won 51 percent of the vote that fall, beating Democratic Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts.

In 2005, Robertson predicted that Bush would have victory after victory in his second term. He said Social Security reform proposals would be approved and Bush would nominate conservative judges to federal courts.

Lawmakers confirmed Bush's 2005 nominations of John Roberts and Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court. But the president's Social Security initiative was stalled by widespread opposition.

"I have a relatively good track record," he said. "Sometimes I miss."

In May, Robertson said God told him that storms and possibly a tsunami were to crash into America's coastline in 2006. Even though the U.S. was not hit with a tsunami, Robertson on Tuesday cited last spring's heavy rains and flooding in New England as partly fulfilling the prediction.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,240841,00.html

So is Pat saying that God "missed," or that he did?  Here's some scripture for Mr. Robertson...

Matthew 7:15:
Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Deuteronomy 18:20-22
But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.  And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?  When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

Suck it, Mr. Robertson.

-b0b
(...rolls his eyes.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #502 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Quote:
Nigeria pays 1.4 billion dollars of London Club debt

Thu Jan 4, 2:13 PM ET

ABUJA (AFP) - Nigeria has repaid 1.4 billion dollars (1.12 billion euros) to the so-called London Club of private creditors, while the rest of the debt will be cleared by March, President Olusegun Obasanjo said.
ADVERTISEMENT

"We have paid off 1.4 billion dollar of the amount we owe to the London Club, and the balance of about 900 million dollars (720 million euros) will be paid by March this year, effectively wiping clean the debts we owe," Obasanjo said.

Early last year, Nigeria became the first African nation to settle all its official debt of 4.6 billion dollars to Paris Club, a group of 19 international lenders that include Britain, Russia and Germany.

Before this latest payment to the London Club, Nigeria's total foreign debt stock stood at less than 5 billion dollars, officials said.

Obasanjo, who is due to leave power next May having served a constitutional limit of two four-year terms, had promised to pay all Nigeria's debts before then.

Egads!  A country that not only pays off its debt but also is free from debt?  Good thing I gave that money to that Nigerian guy to help get his dead father's account open.  I will be expecting my payment any day now since they are paying off debts now!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #503 - Jan 5th, 2007 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Bahaha, me too!

-b0b
(...not really.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #504 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 11:09am
Print Post  
http://www.thatgameblog.com/2007/01/07/first-external-video-card-unveiled

The first external hard drive.  What do people think?  I think it's kinda nice since you don't have to worry too much about your huge computer over heating it.  However how many external things can you have for your computer.  You have external speakers, hard drives, printers, scanners, keyboard, mouse, and all the other cables that you plug your mp3 player and digital camera into.  That's a lot of space to take up.  Yet this would also be good for the computer gamer who isn't into computers all that much.  So if Granny is noticing slow movement on GTA and she's got a 5200 she can upgrade it easier...without having come to me for help!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #505 - Jan 11th, 2007 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
That's really nifty.  If the price isn't too extravagant, I might have to buy one for my lapper.  I'm sure a 7900GS would go a long way toward turning even a mediocre laptop into a decent gaming machine.

Stick might want to look into getting one, too.

-b0b
(...nods approvingly.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #506 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Quote:
The Pirate Bay plans to buy island

Published: 12th January 2007 12:37 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/6076/

Swedish file-sharing website The Pirate Bay is planning to buy its own nation in an attempt to circumvent international copyright laws.

The group has set up a campaign to raise money to buy Sealand, a former British naval platform in the North Sea that has been designated a 'micronation', and claims to be outside the jurisdiction of the UK or any other country.
Related Articles

The Pirate Bay says it is the world's largest 'bit torrent tracker', and is a popular way of sharing music, films, software and other copyrighted material online. It has been under the scrutiny of authorities in Sweden and around the world for some time.

The site was briefly closed down after raids by the Swedish police last May. After initially moving to the Netherlands, the site returned to Sweden in June. Swedish authorities have been put under pressure to do more to stop the site. The Motion Picture Association of America, the Swedish Anti-Piracy Bureau and the US government have all lobbied for The Pirate Bay's closure.

According to a website set up to secure the purchase of Sealand, The Pirate Bay plans to give citizenship of the micronation to anyone willing to put money towards the purchase.

"It should be a great place for everybody, with high-speed Internet access, no copyright laws and VIP accounts to The Pirate Bay," the organisation claims on its website www.buysealand.com.

The "island" of Sealand, seven miles off the coast of southern England, was settled in 1967 by an English major, Paddy Roy Bates. Bates proclaimed Sealand a state, issuing passports and gold and silver Sealand dollars and declaring himself Prince Roy.

When the British Royal Navy tried to evict Prince Roy in 1968, a judge ruled that the platform was outside British territorial waters and therefore beyond government control.

The British government subsequently extended its territorial waters from three to twelve nautical miles from the coast, which would include Sealand, but Prince Roy simultaneously extended Sealand's waters, claimed that this guaranteed Sealand's sovereignty.

The island is now being put up for sale by Prince Roy's son, Prince Michael, who styles himself head of state. A firm of Spanish estate agents has valued the island at £504 million (about 7 billion kronor), although Prince Michael told The Times of London that it is hard to gauge how much it will fetch in reality.

The Pirate Bay says it is looking at alternatives to buying the former naval platform.

"If we do not get enough money required to buy the micronation of Sealand, we will try to buy another small island somwhere and claim it as our own country," the organization says on its website.

LOL that is freakin cool!!!  I wonder how many people would move there too.  Also how do you set up your own country?  I mean you'd have to build power generators, internet connection, I'm assuming plumbing.  Also you have to worry about the weather and sharks.  This will be interesting.

X
(Wonder if US will attack it for having WMDs?!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #507 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Sealand is a pretty nifty place.  I'm wondering what kind of Internet connection they'll have out there?

-b0b
(...ponders.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #508 - Jan 13th, 2007 at 12:28pm
Print Post  

I  wouldnt want it.... They should skip sealand and just get their own island. Sealand's price tag is too high.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #509 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Wow go Michigan...I might have to live here eventually he he.

Quote:
Adultery could mean life, court finds
That's what the law says in sex-drug case Cox appealed

January 15, 2007

BY BRIAN DICKERSON

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

In a ruling sure to make philandering spouses squirm, Michigan's second-highest court says that anyone involved in an extramarital fling can be prosecuted for first-degree criminal sexual conduct, a felony punishable by up to life in prison.

"We cannot help but question whether the Legislature actually intended the result we reach here today," Judge William Murphy wrote in November for a unanimous Court of Appeals panel, "but we are curtailed by the language of the statute from reaching any other conclusion."

Advertisement
"Technically," he added, "any time a person engages in sexual penetration in an adulterous relationship, he or she is guilty of CSC I," the most serious sexual assault charge in Michigan's criminal code.

No one expects prosecutors to declare open season on cheating spouses. The ruling is especially awkward for Attorney General Mike Cox, whose office triggered it by successfully appealing a lower court's decision to drop CSC charges against a Charlevoix defendant. In November 2005, Cox confessed to an adulterous relationship.

Murphy's opinion received little notice when it was handed down. But it has since elicited reactions ranging from disbelief to mischievous giggling in Michigan's gossipy legal community.

The ruling grows out of a case in which a Charlevoix man accused of trading Oxycontin pills for the sexual favors of a cocktail waitress was charged under an obscure provision of Michigan's criminal law. The provision decrees that a person is guilty of first-degree criminal sexual conduct whenever "sexual penetration occurs under circumstances involving the commission of any other felony."

Charlevoix Circuit Judge Richard Pajtas sentenced Lloyd Waltonen to up to four years in prison after he pleaded guilty to two felony counts of delivering a controlled substance. But Pajtas threw out the sexual assault charge against Waltonen, citing the cocktail waitress' testimony that she had willingly consented to the sex-for-drugs arrangement.

Charlevoix prosecuting attorney John Jarema said he decided to appeal after police discovered evidence that Waltonen may have struck drugs-for-sex deals with several other women.

Cox's office, which handled the appeal on the prosecutor's behalf, insisted that the waitress' consent was irrelevant. All that mattered, the attorney general argued in a brief demanding that the charge be reinstated, was that the pair had sex "under circumstances involving the commission of another felony" -- the delivery of the Oxycontin pills.

The Attorney General's Office got a whole lot more than it bargained for. The Court of Appeals agreed that the prosecutor in Waltonen's case needed only to prove that the Oxycontin delivery and the consensual sex were related. But Murphy and his colleagues went further, ruling that a first-degree CSC charge could be justified when consensual sex occurred in conjunction with any felony, not just a drug sale.

The judges said they recognized their ruling could have sweeping consequences, "considering the voluminous number of felonious acts that can be found in the penal code." Among the many crimes Michigan still recognizes as felonies, they noted pointedly, is adultery -- although the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan notes that no one has been convicted of that offense since 1971.

Some judges and lawyers suggested that the Court of Appeals' reference to prosecuting adulterers was a sly slap at Cox, noting that it was his office that pressed for the expansive definition of criminal sexual conduct the appellate judges so reluctantly embraced in their Nov. 7 ruling.

Murphy didn't return my calls Friday. But Chief Court of Appeals Judge William Whitbeck, who signed the opinion along with Murphy and Judge Michael Smolenski, said that Cox's confessed adultery never came up during their discussions of the case.

"I never thought of it, and I'm confident that it was not something Judge Murphy or Judge Smolenski had in mind," Whitbeck told me Friday. But he chuckled uncomfortably when I asked if the hypothetical described in Murphy's opinion couldn't be cited as justification for bringing first-degree criminal sexual conduct charges against the attorney general.

"Well, yeah," he said.

Cox's spokesman, Rusty Hills, bristled at the suggestion that Cox or anyone else in his circumstances could face prosecution.

"To even ask about this borders on the nutty," Hills told me in a phone interview Saturday. "Nobody connects the attorney general with this -- N-O-B-O-D-Y -- and anybody who thinks otherwise is hallucinogenic."

Hills said Sunday that Cox did not want to comment.

The Court of Appeals opinion could also be interpreted as a tweak to the state Supreme Court, which has decreed that judges must enforce statutory language adopted by the Legislature literally, whatever the consequences.

In many other states, judges may reject a literal interpretation of the law if they believe it would lead to an absurd result. But Michigan's Supreme Court majority has held that it is for the Legislature, not the courts, to decide when the absurdity threshold has been breached.

Whitbeck noted that Murphy's opinion questions whether state lawmakers really meant to authorize the prosecution of adulterers for consensual relationships.

"We encourage the Legislature to take a second look at the statutory language if they are troubled by our ruling," he wrote.

Hills declined to say whether the Attorney General's Office would press for legislative amendments to make it clear that only violent felonies involving an unwilling victim could trigger a first-degree CSC charge.

"This is so bizarre that it doesn't even merit a response," he said.

Meanwhile, Waltonen has asked the state Supreme Court for leave to appeal the Court of Appeals ruling. He still hasn't been tried on the criminal sexual conduct charge. His attorney said a CSC conviction could add dozens of years to Waltonen's current prison sentence.

Justices will decide later this year whether to review the Court of Appeals' decision to reinstate the CSC charge.

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 90
Send TopicPrint