Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879328 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #615 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Quote:
With the 10-fold increase, a high-quality version of the movie "The Matrix" could be sent in a few seconds rather than half a minute over the current Internet2 and two days over a typical home broadband line.

Does anyone here have trouble downloading "The Matrix" in DivX format in less than two days?

I'm estimating 6-8 hours, tops.

-b0b
(...and that's on a slow day.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #616 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
a high-quality version of the movie "The Matrix"

I'm sure they mean 1080p in uncompressed form.

Divx all the way!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #617 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070427/ts_nm/shield_russia_putin_dc

Quote:
President
Vladimir Putin on Friday renewed criticism of U.S. plans to deploy a missile shield in Eastern Europe, saying Russia would take "appropriate measures" to counter the system.

They're back baby!

Cold War II! Starring George W and Vlad Putin!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #618 - Apr 27th, 2007 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Bring it, commies!  At last, a military opponent worth our time!

-b0b
(...wants to shoot his commie military rifles now!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #619 - May 1st, 2007 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Sun 19 Nov 2006
Carbon nanotechnology in an 17th century Damascus sword
Posted by Ed Yong under Nanotechnology , Technology

The Damascus swords of the Middle East were legendarily sharp, strong and flexible. Now, an analysis of one of these weapons under an electron microscope reveals that the key to its properties is nanotechnology, inadvertently used by blacksmiths centuries before modern science.

In medieval times, crusading Christian knights cut a swathe through the Middle East in an attempt to reclaim Jerusalem from the Muslims. The Muslims in turn cut a swathe through the invaders using a very special type of sword, which quickly gained a mythical reputation among the Europeans.

These ‘Damascus blades’ were extraordinarily strong, but still flexible enough to bend from hilt to tip. And they were reputedly so sharp that they could cleave a silk scarf floating to the ground, just as readily as a knight’s body.

These superlative weapons gave the Muslims a great advantage, and their blacksmiths carefully guarded the secret to their manufacture. The secret died eventually died out in the eighteenth century and no European smith was able to reproduce their method.

Now, Marianne Riebold and colleagues from the University of Dresden have uncovered the startling origins of Damascus steel using a technique unavailable to the sword-makers of old – electron microscopy.

Damascus blades were forged from small cakes of steel from India called ‘wootz’. All steel is made by allowing iron with carbon to harden the resulting metal. The problem with steel manufacture is that high carbon contents of 1-2% certainly make the material harder, but also render it brittle.

This is useless for sword steel since the blade would shatter upon impact with a shield or another sword. Wootz, with its especially high carbon content of about 1.5%, should have been useless for sword-making. Nonetheless, the resulting sabres showed a seemingly impossible combination of hardness and malleability.

Riebold’s team solved this paradox by analysing a Damascus sabre created by the famous blacksmith Assad Ullah in the seventeenth century, and graciously donated by the Berne Historical Museum in Switzerland.

They dissolved part of the weapon in hydrochloric acid and studied it under an electron microscope. Amazingly, they found that the steel contained carbon nanotubes (see left), each one just slightly larger than half a nanometre. Ten million could fit side by side on the head of a thumbtack.

Carbon nanotubes are cylinders made of hexagonally-arranged carbon atoms. They are among the strongest materials known and have great elasticity and tensile strength. In Riebold’s analysis, the nanotubes were protecting nanowires of cementite (Fe3C), a hard and brittle compound formed by the iron and carbon of the steel.

Here is the answer to the steel’s special properties – it is a composite material at a nanometre level. The malleability of the carbon nanotubes makes up for the brittle nature of the cementite formed by the high-carbon wootz cakes.

It isn’t clear how ancient blacksmiths produced these nanotubes, but the researchers believe that the key to this process lay with small traces of metals in the wootz including vanadium, chromium, manganese, cobalt and nickel. Alternating hot and cold phases during manufacture caused these impurities to segregate out into planes.

From there, they would have acted as catalysts for the formation of the carbon nanotubes, which in turn would have promoted the formation of the cementite nanowires. These structures formed along the planes set out by the impurities, explaining the characteristic wavy bands, or damask (see image at top), that patterns Damascus blades.

By gradually refining their blade-making skills, these blacksmiths of centuries past were using nanotechnology at least 400 years before it became the scientific buzzword of the twenty-first century.

The ore used to produce wootz came from Indian mines that were depleted in the eighteenth century. As the particular combination of metal impurities became unavailable, the ability to manufacture Damascus swords was lost.

Now, thanks to modern science, we may eventually be able how to replicate these superb weapons and more importantly, the unique steel they were shaped from.

I thought it was an interesting article.

Quote:
...high-carbon wootz cakes.

Breakfast of champions!

-b0b
(...wants some wootz cakes.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #620 - May 2nd, 2007 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
Quote:
(5/01/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - A senior at Clements High School isn't in his normal classroom. The district removed him for playing a violent computer game that looks a lot like his school.

The student created a video game from his home computer. But when word got out at school, among other students and subsequently their parents, that's when school district officials took some action. [How did schools get this much control over what students do away from school?]

At Clements High School, student Jordan Schlafer is appalled and shocked to learn her school was used as a backdrop for a violent video game.

She said, "If somebody can make a map like that of the whole school, I mean, it does kind of scare me a little bit, and make me wonder, you know, what else they could do." [Oh, I don't know. How about design video games?]

The game is called Counter Strike
a popular online game where the user, either as a terrorist or anti-terrorist, kills his or her targets. One of the features is that the player can create their own location. A 12th grader who got in trouble apparently made the Clements campus the scene of his game.

"It was the exact replication of the campus," said Fort Bend ISD spokesperson Mary Ann Simpson. "There were players in the game that were armed and the purpose of the game was to shoot and kill."

What made the situation even worse is that the video game was discovered by a fellow student days after the Virginia Tech shootings. School officials immediately removed the teen from school, placing him in an alternative education campus. They called the situation a 'terroristic threat.'

Allan Cease, the teen's attorney, disagreed, "Looking at the criminal definition of terroristic threat, we're not even close to that definition. There was no criminal intent, there was no intent to harm anybody."

Cease says in no way did the teenager attempt to replicate the game. He's fighting on behalf of the teen and his parents to have the student placed back in school.

In the meantime, students we talked to are torn as to whether the game was a real threat or not.

"I think he just did it for fun," said student Maaria Faoqi. "I mean, he goes here. He probably didn't mean anything."

Schlafer said, "I do think some measures needed to be taken, about making him out for the school. So, if they thought that the alternative school was the best for him, then, yeah."

The Fort Bend ISD police searched the boy's home. No charges have been filed.

The teen's parents are appealing the decision. They'll need to go through a four-step process before any action is taken.

This crap has become retarded on an indescribably assinine level.  Oh well, I always knew Counterstrike was evil.

I wonder how many camp spots were on that map.  Moreover, where do you think the terrorists had to set the bombs?

-b0b
(...thinks CS is gay.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #621 - May 3rd, 2007 at 12:40am
Print Post  
That chick should be shot...oops....

Seriously though...how can you say, with a straight face, Quote:
"If somebody can make a map like that of the whole school, I mean, it does kind of scare me a little bit, and make me wonder, you know, what else they could do."

Well if they can do that...they can graduate from College of Creative Studies and work for a game company...I believe...

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #622 - May 3rd, 2007 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Oh noes! I'm a terrerrristt!

I think that word is silly. To the British, the early Americans throwing tea off their boats and other acts of destruction and rebellion were terrorists. But to us they were freedom fighters! Yay Freedom! Same in Iraq. They are really just freedom fighters, fighting those that would restrict their freedoms.... the US! But lets just call them terrorists, cause they are the other guy, and who cares about them, right? As far as we the 5% of the world population are concerned, everyone else is muck! I am tired of Christians attacking other cultures. Yea, way to love your neighbor, let alone your enemy! Sheesh, grow up people, and don't judge lest ye be judged, eh?

Got off track a bit.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #623 - May 3rd, 2007 at 10:36am
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on May 3rd, 2007 at 9:38am:
They are really just freedom fighters, fighting those that would restrict their freedoms.... the US!

You've got to be kidding me!  Do you really think a bunch of Islamofascist cowards that kill their own citizens in an attempt to push Sharia law want freedom?  Do you really think they even understand the concept?

Complete and utter bull.  People that want freedom don't force the women in their society to wear burkas upon threat of death.  People that want freedom don't force their specific brand of religion on their fellow citizens at gun point.  People that want freedom don't assassinate democratically-elected leaders due to religious disagreements.  People that want freedom don't attack fellow citizens that attempt to vote.  People that want freedom don't murder family members that have been raped to save "family honor."

The concept that cowardly Islamofascist militants are "freedom fighters" is patently absurd to its very core.  Strapping a bomb to your daughter and telling her to run into a military mess hall isn't fighting freedom, it's sheer cowardice.  I'd like to see you go up to the parents of a deceased soldier and tell them that their son was killed by "freedom fighters." 

-b0b
(...harnesses the almighty power of deductive reasoning.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #624 - May 3rd, 2007 at 11:08am
Print Post  
It is all a matter of perception. Sorry but you aren't going to change my mind on this one. If we were taken over by lets say china, you bet your balls there would be people that would resort to suicide bombing to fight back if they had no other options.  People anywhere are willing to die for their beliefs, same as our soldiers are willing to do the same, so are theirs. The almighty American Army is just as guilty of targeting civilians. Sheesh, we are not the shining beacon of light on the world as we say we are.

You list extreme examples in the Islamic faith that the media jumps upon.  It is still a minority within Islam that carries out violence, most of them abhor it. So called Christians are guilty of the same things my friend. Crusades, anyone? Inquisition? The Iraqis are people under an oppressive invasion force. Most just accept it and hope they leave soon. They go and vote, sure. Others feel more strongly about it and see those that vote as cooperating with the enemy. Like after the Nazi's were booted out of France, people who cooperated with them were beaten or killed. So of course some will see those who cooperate with American's as traitors. We would do the same if taken over by China. I am not saying it is right, I am saying Islam does not hold the patent on violence.

As far as violence between Sunni, and Shiites go, look at Catholics and Protestants fighting in Ireland. that got nasty. Dude everyone is guilty of this same thing, and each group of people is going to have that minority that resorts to despicable tactics.

As far as freedom fighter goes, they are fighting for their freedom. I wouldn't want tanks rolling around my house all the time. Americans don't belong in that country, end of story. If freedom for them involves sticking to the rules set by their faith, that is their choice. Women weren't exactly treated equally in the Old testament or even the new, anyway.

I'm not saying I am in support of what they do, but you have to acknowledge that under the same conditions, we might do the same. It still is all a matter of perception. Many Christians were martyred for their faith, and unfortunately some radical Islamists think that they can be martyred by killing others. There is just a lot of confusion and Godlessness going on, and killing them isn't going to solve anything.

Great bumper sticker: When Jesus said Love thy neighbor, I'm pretty sure he didn't mean kill them.

Sorry for rambling. Either way, there are people who do evil on any side. I dislike lumping entire groups of people or countries into an object that we are supposed to hate.

Can't we all just get along?

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #625 - May 3rd, 2007 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Ok looking it back over, I want to say that I am arguing about the language used. I do not think everyone should be lumped as a terrorist. I do not defend suicide bombing. I defend the fact that some over their are fighting an oppressive force. Others are just doing it for violence's sake... I do not defend that. I defend the fact that these are still human beings deserving of our love. That is all. Love God, love people. Simple as that.

I'll try not to write in the early morn again. My brain was mushy.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #626 - May 3rd, 2007 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I can accept and agree with that.

-b0b
(...nods.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #627 - May 4th, 2007 at 11:22am
Print Post  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #628 - May 10th, 2007 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Quote:
New Port Richey police officers chased a driver who had no arms and one leg, and the man escaped.

Authorities believe the driver was 40-year-old Michael Francis Wiley, who taught himself to drive with stumps and then became one of Pasco County's most notorious drivers.

Wiley is well known by local law enforcement and has had his license suspended many times.

Tuesday, an officer reported spotting Wiley in a blue sport utility vehicle at a convenience store. When the officer went to investigate, police said Wiley took off. The officer, who was joined by a second cruiser, chased the SUV for about eight minutes.

Police said the officers broke off pursuit because of the potential danger to others. Police will seek an arrest warrant for Wiley Wednesday.

Charges could include fleeing to elude and habitually driving with a revoked license.

His friends call him Lucky.

-b0b
(...or Skip.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #629 - May 11th, 2007 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6645179.stm

Nasa unveils Hubble's successor

The US space agency Nasa has unveiled a model of a space telescope that scientists say will be able to see to the farthest reaches of the universe.

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is intended to replace the ageing Hubble telescope.

It will be larger than its predecessor, sit farther from Earth and have a giant mirror to enable it to see more.

Officials said the JWST - named after a former Nasa administrator - was on course for launch in June 2013.

The full-scale model is being displayed outside the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in the US capital, Washington DC.

'Birth of the universe'

The $4.5bn (£2.27bn) telescope will take up a position some 1.5 million km (930,000 miles) from Earth.

It will measure 24m (80ft) long by 12m (40ft) high and incorporate a hexagonal mirror 6.5m (21.3ft) in diameter, almost three times the size of Hubble's.

Hubble, launched in 1990, has sent back pictures of our solar system, distant stars and planets, and remote fledgling galaxies formed not long after the Big Bang.

But scientists say the JWST will enable them to look deeper into space and even further back at the origins of the universe.

"Clearly we need a much bigger telescope to go back much further in time to see the very birth of the universe," said Edward Weiler, director of Nasa's Goddard Space Flight Centre.

Martin Mohan of Northrop Grumman, the contractor building the telescope, said that the team was making excellent progress.

"There's engineering to do, but invention is done, more than six years ahead of launch," he said.

When ready, the JWST will be launched by a European Ariane V rocket. It is expected to have a 10-year lifespan.

Until then, the 17-year-old Hubble telescope will continue to do its work. Nasa plans to send astronauts on the space shuttle to service it in 2008.

$4.5 Billion for ten years?  This thing had better take some amazing photos for that price!

-b0b
(....crazy!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 90
Send TopicPrint