Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879727 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #735 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Well I do assume we own the moon, and we should tax any other country who tries to go to the moon.

I also claim mars, bob can have uranus.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #736 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Your mom is close enough to a planet to satiate my needs.  She's so fat that she has smaller fat people locked into orbit around her.

-b0b
(...thinks one planet is all he can handle.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #737 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Shouldn't we copyright the moon and sue anyone who views it or takes pictures of it without the expressed written and oral consent of NASA?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #738 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
expressed written not implied oral consent!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #739 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Quote:
EDWARDS IN A BIZ HATE & $WITCH
By CHARLES HURT Bureau Chief
NEWS TO HIM: John Edwards blasts foes for taking News Corp. cash but took $800,000 for his book, whose real title is "Home."
NEWS TO HIM: John Edwards blasts foes for taking News Corp. cash but took $800,000 for his book, whose real title is "Home."
PrintEmailDigg ItRedditPermalinkStory Bottom

August 3, 2007 -- WASHINGTON - John Edwards, who yesterday demanded Democratic candidates return any campaign donations from Rupert Murdoch and News Corp., himself earned at least $800,000 for a book published by one of the media mogul's companies.

The Edwards campaign said the multimillionaire trial lawyer would not return the hefty payout from Murdoch for the book titled "Home: The Blueprints of Our Lives."

The campaign didn't respond to a question from The Post about whether it was hypocritical for Edwards to take money from News Corp. while calling for other candidates not to.

In addition to a $500,000 advance from HarperCollins, which is owned by News Corp., Edwards also was cut a check for $300,000 for expenses.

Edwards claimed $333,334 in royalties from last year's release of the book, according to media accounts. The campaign said last night that those funds were part of the advance.

He says he gave that amount to charity, which would also provide tax benefits for Edwards. "We're more than happy to give even more of Murdoch's money to Habitat for Humanity and other good causes," spokesman Eric Schultz told The Post yesterday.

He declined to show proof, however, that Edwards had donated the $500,000 advance or $300,000 expense checks to charity.

Meanwhile, Edwards yesterday attacked Hillary Rodham Clinton for taking more than $20,000 in donations from News Corp. officials, arguing that the company's Fox News Channel is tilted to the right. News Corp. also owns The New York Post.

Click here to read Edwards' attack.

Clinton declined to respond.

The Edwards campaign said it would return less than $1,000 in donations from three Fox employees.

Languishing in the polls behind Clinton and Barack Obama, Edwards also has led the Democratic field's boycott of a Fox co-sponsored presidential debate.

"The time has come for Democrats to stop pretending to be friends with the very people who demonize the Democratic Party," Edwards said.

Well there goes his chances!  I still don't understand this?  If FOX is suppose to be conservative then why is Murdox giving money to both Hillary and Edwards?  It's almost like he's trying to manipulate the political system of America...hmmmm.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #740 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Aug 3rd, 2007 at 12:57pm:
expressed written not implied oral consent!

Your mom gave me oral consent.

-b0b
(..ba-dum-bum!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #741 - Aug 3rd, 2007 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
To do what?

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #742 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
An armed gang of four kidnapped one of the world's top RPG gamers after one criminal's girlfriend lured him into a fake date using Orkut, Google's social network. After sequestering him in Sao Paulo, they held a gun against the victim's head for five hours to get his password, which they wanted to sell for $8,000. And yes, the story gets even better.

Surprisingly enough, after five hours the hostage wasn't talking. The group leader had a gun against his head all that time but the guy didn't say a word. At that point, the crooks gave up and decided to let him go. The brazilian police then caught the four suspects, aged 19 to 27.

According to the police, the captive is the world leader in GunBound, a turn-based RPG-style multiplayer online game. Developed in South Korea, in this artillery game you get more experience points, offensive and defensive capabilities depending on your skills during battle, as well as money to buy more weapons, armor and all kinds of gear for your multiple avatars. You can only play with one of your avatars each time, but all of them belong to a single account.

The game looks to be quite popular, so the four gangsters decided they could make some quick cash if they kidnapped him to steal his user. Their plan: use one of the criminal's girlfriends, called Tamires, to get him into a date using Google's online social network Orkut, which is also extremely popular in Brazil. After contacting and seducing him, she told the GunBound wizard to meet her in a shopping mall.

But she never appeared. Instead, Igor the boyfriend did. Gun in hand, he abducted and held the player prisoner, planning to rely the password to his mates using a cellphone. Against all odds, our hero (or very stupid guy) resisted. Probably using some Stamina +357 spell. Or a Big Cojones +577 mana potion.

Whatever he did to resist the torture for a stupid game password, boys and girls, there's a moral to this story: if you live in Brazil, keep playing Tetris

This guy rules, who wouldn't die to protect your online character?

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #743 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
I think I'd die to protect my forum user name.  I know my high post count gets the ladies all riled up...

-b0b
(...or something.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #744 - Aug 7th, 2007 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
A nice write up on what we pay for NASA as compared to all the other crap we do.  And a bit more debunking of anti-space mantra.

Quote:
Neil Tyson on exploring space

Posted at 7:59 pm in Politics, NASA, Astronomy, Piece of mind

Astronomer Neil Tyson wrote a pretty good article for Parade magazine this week about why we explore space. He hits a lot of the right points, and he says something that I wind up hammering when I give public talks as well:

How many times have we heard the mantra: “Why are we spending billions of dollars up there in space when we have pressing problems down here on Earth?” Let’s re-ask the question in an illuminating way: “What is the total cost in taxes of all spaceborne telescopes, planetary probes, the rovers on Mars, the space station and shuttle, telescopes yet to orbit and missions yet to fly?” Answer: less than 1% on the tax dollar—7/10ths of a penny, to be exact.

[…]

So, with 99 out of 100 cents going to fund the rest of our nation’s priorities, the space program is not now (nor has it ever really been) in anybody’s way.

The short version: space exploration costs us very little. Need I remind you that we are basically setting fire to $11,000,000 per hour in Iraq? When I talk on this topic, I make an analogy: when your disk drive is full, do you go through and take hours to delete thousands of small text files, or do you delete that one big 3 Gb video file you never watch? NASA is a text file on the hard drive of the government.

Amazingly, even after Neil made his case perfectly clear, people took the time to post incredibly ignorant comments on the Parade website, making me wonder if they read what Neil wrote at all:

How much longer will vital funds needed for crucial projects here on earth, such as bridge inspections and repairs, be squandered on the space program?

This doesn’t even deserve an answer, since it’s plain as day in Neil’s article.

Another person wrote:

I am avidly againt [sic] wasting money for outer space exploration. […] We have so many needs here that there doesn’t seem to be money for.

Yup. Same thing. A third wrote:

He sites [sic] pride as a nation and the science that accidentally results from NASA’s projects. I would feel much more proud of our nation if we were known for caring for our own people and not for putting another rover on mars or another person on the moon. We should fund research for cancer directly and not hope for an offshoot of something that we accidentally discovered with the Hubble.

This person has it precisely wrong. We didn’t hope to find a help for cancer using astronomical imaging techniques. It just happened; a happy outcome. In fact, astronomical and medical imaging techniques are very similar; so similar that years ago I considered switching fields, knowing that my imaging knowledge would transfer easily. But anyway, this misses the point: we don’t fund these avenues because of serendipitous results; we fund them because it’s the right thing to do. Knowledge always benefits us. Always.

Or maybe these people are just really big fans of Katie Couric.

If you are laughing or ruefully shaking your head at the woeful pig-headery displayed by those three people, then consider this: those are real people with real (if utterly wrong) opinions. They are your co-workers, your neighbors, maybe even your relatives. Most people have no clue why we fund space exploration; in fairness most people probably don’t have an opinion about it. But I bet most people also think it’s very expensive (every single time something goes wrong with a NASA mission, the first thing reporters comment on is how much it cost, but they never seem to compare it to, say, the cost of a bridge in Alaska that goes nowhere).

This is why we need to speak up. People don’t get it. If you hear someone making these arguments, send them to Neil’s article, and tell them not to skim it, but to actually read it. Maybe we can get a few people at least to understand the real issues.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #745 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
Minnesota Cops Seek 'Professionals' Who Removed Man's Testicles

Minnesota police are looking for suspected quack surgeons who removed a St. Paul man's testicles at his home, the Star Tribune reports.

The 62-year-old man, Russell Daniel Angus, said he'd been suffering from chronic pain and had asked doctors to remove his testicles, but they'd refused, the paper said, citing a search warrant affidavit filed Monday in Ramsey County District Court.

Police said Angus hired two or three "professionals" to do the job on a makeshift operating table in his home and that's where his daughter found him bleeding on July 28, the paper said.

"I have never in my life seen anything quite like that," Tom Walsh, a St. Paul police spokesman, told the Star Tribune.

Angus refused to tell police who performed the surgery.

Police removed three specimen jars in their search of the home, but it was unclear if the man's testicles were found.

I don't know what to say, that's just...wrong.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #746 - Aug 8th, 2007 at 8:39am
Print Post  
...that article was actively painful to read.

-b0b
(...ouch.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #747 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Quote:
Playboy Mansion sexual assault claim probed

LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Police Dept. said Wednesday it was investigating an allegation of sexual assault at the Playboy Mansion, the famed site of unabashed hedonism for more than 30 years.

News reports said the alleged incident took place at the weekend during a pajama party hosted by Playboy magazine's 81-year-old founder, Hugh Hefner, who has lived and worked at the expansive property since 1971.

According to Playboy.com, the annual Midsummer Night's Dream bash was attended by the likes of socialites Paris and Nicky Hilton, movie director Garry Marshall, rock star Dave Navarro and Oscar-winning actor Martin Landau.

An LAPD statement said detectives had started their investigation into "a possible sexual assault" Monday.

"For reasons of law and confidentiality that are critical aspects in investigations of this type, no additional information will be released at this time," the statement said.

A spokesman for Playboy Enterprises Inc., the adult-entertainment firm that owns the mansion and published the flagship magazine, also declined comment.

The mock-Tudor mansion sits on a lush six-acre (2.4-hectare) lot that Hefner bought for $1.05 million according to Playboy.com.

Located in the chic suburb of Holmby Hills, the estate has hosted thousands of parties over the years, drawing guests who luxuriate in the freewheeling atmosphere. These days, it is often rented out as a corporate entertainment venue.

I know this is going to sound bad...but, with how much money these girls are making and the fact you were at a "pajama party" at the playboy mansion, I think I can say boo freaking hoo.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #748 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
They're not people...they're objects!

Have you seen any clips of Girls Next Door?  These girls have the combined brain cells of an egg plant.  It's just lucky they aren't considered food.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #749 - Aug 9th, 2007 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Aug 9th, 2007 at 12:54pm:
It's just lucky they aren't considered food.

Umm, yeah... about that...

-b0b
(...grins.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 90
Send TopicPrint