Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879763 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #765 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Who the heck has a "beer festival" at a zoo with dangerous animals?  That's just retarded!

-b0b
(...besides, giraffes are angry drunks!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #766 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Maybe the animals got a hold of a copy of Animal Farm and now they're sending out fliers to the humans...they couldn't even resist...beeeeeeeer

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #767 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
This is a great article showing some of the falicies of RIAA's cases.  Ars Technica has some of the best reporting on copyright laws and similar stories.  I would suggest anyone view some excellent reporting on this site.

Quote:
Foundation on which RIAA builds cases in danger of being undermined

By Eric Bangeman | Published: August 20, 2007 - 11:40PM CT

At the base of every one of the over 25,000 lawsuits filed by the RIAA against suspected file-sharing is a single argument: making a song available over a P2P network like KaZaA infringes on the copyrights of the record labels. That assertion will be tested by Warner v. Cassin next month, as her attorney, Ray Beckerman, will argue the matter in a federal court in White Plains, NY.
Related Stories

* RIAA spends thousands to obtain $300 judgment
    * Judge deals another blow to RIAA's war against on-campus file-sharing
    * RIAA's final tab for Capitol v. Foster: $68,685.23
    * RIAA backtracks after embarrassing P2P defendant
    * DoJ may lend the RIAA a hand in file-sharing case

Although the RIAA's claim that making a song available over a P2P network infringes on a record label's copyrights may seem sound at first glance, the issue is as not cut and dried as the music industry would lead us to believe. First, the RIAA has not established that any infringement has actually taken place. The RIAA's claims of copyright infringement come after its investigator, MediaSentry, discovers music in a P2P user's shared folder. MediaSentry then takes screenshots, notes the IP address, and the litigation process is set into motion. That's the sole basis for the RIAA's complaints.

A number of defendants have pointed out the weakness of the RIAA's argument. First, the RIAA's complaints do not allege any actual acts of infringement, which the Copyright Act says must take place in order for a case for infringement to be made. The only downloading that the RIAA can actually prove occurred was done by its authorized agent, MediaSentry. Since the RIAA cannot demonstrate that someone other than MediaSentry downloaded the file—or that the defendant ever illegally downloaded any of the tracks in the shared folder—it therefore cannot show that infringement actually took place. Looking at it from another angle, there are no allegations that the defendants actually engaged in a specific act of distribution at any point in time—which is why the RIAA's boilerplate complaints refer to "ongoing" and "continuous" infringement.

Or, as Beckerman notes in his motion, "the complaint fails to set forth... any instance or example of 'downloading' a recording; any instance or example of 'distributing' a recording; any instance or example of 'making [a recording] available';... or what law would support a claim for 'making [a recording] available.'"

Beckerman also argues that if making available is found to be the same as distributing, it could have broader implications than just sharing files over a P2P network. "Under such an elastic interpretation and ill-defined standards, almost all participants in the Internet would become vulnerable to accusations that they 'make available' a variety of content, including copyrighted materials, to users," he argues in the reply. Think about hyperlinks, which make available other content on the Internet. Providing a hyperlink could be construed as distribution under the RIAA's definition, argues Beckerman.

There have been seven cases in which the making available argument has been tested. In six of those cases, the judges did not actually rule on the issue of whether making a file available is the same as distribution. Instead, the judges said that the cases could go ahead based on the allegations of continuing infringement. The judge in Elektra v. Perez also considered the argument after the RIAA decided to dismiss the case and the defendant argued that the case should be dismissed with prejudice. The judge presiding over the seventh case, Elektra v. Barker, has yet to issue a decision but has promised to rule on the making available argument.

The rulings in Warner v. Cassin and Elektra v. Barker could change the legal landscape for both the RIAA and defendants if the judges hold that making a file available on KaZaA or any other P2P network does not constitute copyright infringement. In fact, it would all but certainly kill the RIAA's current litigation model. The labels would have to show actual evidence that someone downloaded a file from a targeted P2P user instead of just offering a few screenshots and a report from MediaSentry along with a boilerplate complaint.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #768 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Woman Torches Ex-Husband's Genitalia While He Watches Television

Thursday August 23, 2007
CityNews.ca Staff
There's nothing worse than two people being forced to live together after they've separated just to save a few pennies on rent.

This was especially true for a divorced couple in Russia, who after three years of co-habitating on account of high property taxes, finally reached their boiling point. In a shocking outburst, the woman set fire to her ex-husband's genitals as he sat naked watching television and drinking vodka.

Moscow officials reported it was three years of pent up hostility over having to share the same roof that lead to the freak attack. Whether or not he'll make a full recovery is "difficult to predict", according to a police spokesperson.

"It was monstrously painful," the wounded man told a Russian newspaper. "I was burning like a torch. I don't know what I did to deserve this."

And they thought the fire had dwindled from the relationship.

I don't care how expensive it is, if you are living with a woman this unstable GTFO!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #769 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Amen to that!

-b0b
(...ouch!)

GetOutQuick.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #770 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Cool collection of alarm clocks that would actually get you up.

http://www.uberreview.com/2006/03/top-ten-most-annoying-alarm-clocks.htm

I think number 8 is how most teenage boys wake up anyways.

I want number 4 and 2 would just be hilarious.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #771 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:
US Attorney General Gonzales resigns

By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer 1 minute ago

WASHINGTON - Alberto Gonzales, the nation's first Hispanic attorney general, announced his resignation Monday, driven from office after a wrenching standoff with congressional critics over his honesty and competence.
ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans and Democrats alike had demanded his departure over the botched handling of FBI terror investigations and the firings of U.S. attorneys, but President Bush had defiantly stood by his Texas friend for months until accepting his resignation last Friday.

"After months of unfair treatment that has created a harmful distraction at the Justice Department, Judge Gonzales decided to submit his resignation and I have accepted his decision," Bush said from Texas, where he is vacationing.

Solicitor General Paul Clement will be acting attorney general until a replacement is found and confirmed by the Senate, Bush said.

Homeland Security chief Michael Chertoff was among those mentioned as possible successors, though a senior administration official said the matter had not been raised with Chertoff. Bush leaves Washington next Monday for Australia, and Gonzales' replacement might not be named by then, the official said.

"It has been one of my greatest privileges to lead the Department of Justice," Gonzales said, announcing his resignation effective Sept. 17 in a terse statement. He took no questions and gave no reason for stepping down.

Bush denounced what he called "unfair treatment" that he said prevented Gonzales from adequately doing his job. He said the attorney general's "good name was dragged through the mud for political reasons."

Though some Republicans echoed Bush's veiled slap at Democrats, Gonzales had few defenders left on Capitol Hill.

"Better late than never," said Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, summing up the response of many to the resignation.

Many Republicans welcomed the departure of the embattled attorney general, some quietly and others publicly so.

"The attorney general's decision to step down is a positive step forward for the Department of Justice," said Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine.

"Attorney General Gonzales' ability to lead the Department of Justice had been undermined by his serious errors in judgment and conflicting statements," she said in a statement.

We can pretty much call the Bush Administration's 8 years a complete failure now.  He had a good run from 2000 to 2001 when he was unpacking and then he sold his soul and his country out to Satan.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #772 - Aug 27th, 2007 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
OH GOOD LORD!!!  Why not replace Gonzales with an angry miget that kicks everyone in their groins?!  It'd hurt a whole lot less than the following:!

Quote:
Senior admin. officials: Chertoff may get nod

Chertoff may be nominated to succeed Gonzales.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — President Bush may nominate Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to replace Alberto Gonzales as Attorney General, senior administration officials told CNN Monday.

Chertoff, 53, previously sat on the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which handles appeals from New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania and the Virgin Islands.

Before becoming a judge, he was assistant attorney general in the Department of Justice's criminal division from 2001 to 2003.

Chertoff received his law degree from Harvard University and was a law clerk to Supreme Court Justice William H. Brennan Jr. in 1979 and 1980. He first stepped into a prosecutorial role as an assistant U.S. attorney in the Southern District of New York from 1983 to 1987.

From there, he moved to the District of New Jersey and was assistant U.S. attorney from 1987 to 1990 and U.S. attorney until 1994.

Between 1994 and 1996, Chertoff was counsel to the GOP Whitewater committee investigating the business dealings of President Clinton and first lady Hillary Clinton, who is now New York's junior senator and a candidate for president of the United States.

An independent counsel later determined that the Whitewater investigation did not uncover sufficient evidence to warrant any criminal charges against the Clintons.

As a senator, Mrs. Clinton cast the only vote against Chertoff when he was nominated for the appeals court in 2003.

UPDATE: A Senate aide with close connections to the Department of Justice tells CNN's Dana Bash Chertoff will not be the president's choice to replace Gonzales.

I hope that update at the bottom is true.  We'd be going from the man who said "we can torture small children sexually in front of their parents to get the parents to talk" to the man who flushes money down the crapper and see more terrorist around every corner than Rush Limbaugh sees liberal around those same corners!

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #773 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/08/24/first-r-rated-aliens-vs-predator-requiem-...

I have high hopes for this movie...Alien Vs. Predator: Requiem

Why am I so hopefull?  Because this time Fox isn't making it for kids and giving it a hard R!

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #774 - Aug 28th, 2007 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Wow, I pooped a little during that trailer.  I have got to see that.

AIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #775 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 1:24am
Print Post  
Wow......that almost looked....good...

Which is far more than I could say for the first one....

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #776 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 7:30am
Print Post  
That trailer was pretty decent, and probably contained more cool moments than the entirety of the last movie.  I'm not going to hold my breath, though, since sequels for crap movies are usually even crappier than their predecessor.

-b0b
(...Dungeons and Dragons, anyone?)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #777 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Attack on girl was gang-related

A shovel-wielding Good Samaritan who came to the aid of a 16-year-old sexual assault victim says he was told the assault was part of a gang initiation.

The Saskatoon man said he and his father were walking to their garage in the city's Pleasant Hill neighbourhood at about 10 p.m. Monday when they heard a woman scream.

When they went to investigate, they saw a man on top of a young woman, who was screaming.

"He started to hit her so we ran up," said Stephen, who didn't want to give his last name out of concern over gang reprisals.  "There was three of us — the neighbour from downstairs and my father and me — and we started yelling at this guy."

Stephen said the attacker was trying to pull up his pants as he tried to get away.
Stephen chased him over a fence and through the next few backyards, then found a shovel.

"He said, 'Don't hit me. I'm getting jumped into a gang and this is what I have to do.' And that's when I proceeded to hit him with the shovel," Stephen said.

So all I have to do is scar a girl for life to get in this gang?!  I am in like flint!

...not the first time i ruined her night....OH!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #778 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Give those men a medal, then shoot the gang banger!

-b0b
(...scum.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #779 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
If that so called "good Samaritan" can use a shovel to defend someone...he can use it to attack anyone!!!  Oh won't somebody PLEASE think of the children...and ban these spades of death!

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 90
Send TopicPrint