Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880111 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #825 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=local&id=5738787

Would-be purse snatcher gets surprise from victim's husband
Suspect ends up asking police for help
By Andy Cerota

(11/02/07 - KTRK/HOUSTON) - A suspected purse snatcher didn't know what he was in for when he picked a woman in a Home Depot parking lot for a victim. As soon as he grabbed her purse, the woman's husband grabbed a shotgun and opened fire.

It happened at the Home Depot on the Eastex Freeway near Little York. With as much activity during business hours there, you never know who may be waiting in the wings, night or day, ready to strike.

"I was just standing here and the guy just came up and pushed me real hard with a force, like it was a car that hit me. And he was just yanking my purse and my arm got twisted up in my purse and he just was just yanking it," said victim Sandra Hulsey.

Sandra may have looked like an easy target standing there as her husband, Norman, loaded wood into the couple's pickup truck. It turned out the suspect who shoved Sandra and tried to steal her purse didn't know who he was messing with.

"I had a board in my hand right here and I thought he was going to beg for money...is what I thought," said Norman. "He grabbed her and I already had that door open so I just grabbed my shotgun."

He fired a shot.

"The sound of the shotgun and that dude burning off -- it was funny," said eyewitness Freddy Butler.

Butler chased after the accused purse snatcher. who took off running and ended up asking a police officer for help.

"He displays a weapon and it scares the suspect," said a deputy on the scene. "The suspect runs up the police car and saying, 'Let me in. They are shooting at me'."

Police took the suspect into custody.

"The guy just didn't have any business doing what he was doing," said Sandra. "It's shaken me up but I'm OK."

The suspect was not injured. The Houston Police Department turned over the suspect to the Harris County Sheriff's Office. Deputies say they patrol this area pretty heavily and despite what happened out there Thursday, they have not had many problems in the area.

I bet he said, "This is my BOOOOOOOM stick!"

-b0b
(...hell yeah!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #826 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
DOUBLE POST!!!

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #827 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
ROFL!  Grin

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #828 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I don't agree with it...but I love the irony.

Quote:
Court rejects 'Roe v. Wade for Men'

* Story Highlights
    * Federal appeals court rejects case over child support
    * Man sues, saying ex-girlfriend said she was unable to get pregnant
    * Court called case frivolous
    * Next Article in Living »

Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

LANSING, Michigan (AP) -- A federal appeals court has upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit nicknamed "Roe v. Wade for Men" filed by a men's rights group on behalf of a man who said he shouldn't have to pay child support for his ex-girlfriend's daughter.

A three-judge panel of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, in a decision released Tuesday, agreed with a lower court judge that Matthew Dubay's suit was frivolous.

Dubay, 25, had said ex-girlfriend Lauren Wells knew he didn't want to have a child and assured him repeatedly she couldn't get pregnant because of a medical condition.

He argued that if a pregnant woman can choose among abortion, adoption or raising a child, a man involved in an unintended pregnancy should have the choice of declining the financial responsibilities of fatherhood.

U.S. District Judge David Lawson in Bay City disagreed, rejecting Dubay's argument that Michigan's paternity law violates the U.S. Constitution's equal protection clause because it didn't extend reproductive rights to men.

The suit was prepared for Dubay by the National Center for Men in Old Bethpage, New York., which dubbed it "Roe v. Wade for Men." The nickname drew objections from women's rights organizations.

State courts have ruled in the past that any inequity experienced by men like Dubay is outweighed by society's interest in ensuring that children get financial support from two parents.

Dubay sued the Saginaw County prosecutor and Wells in March, contesting an order to pay $500 a month in child support for a girl born to Wells in 2005. Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox intervened in the case and argued for its dismissal. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #829 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
That's retarded.

-b0b
(...wonders what happened to gender equality?)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #830 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 12:52pm
Print Post  

Quote:
To Sybil,

Lamentably, I killed your cat while trying just to sting it. It was crouched, as usual, under one of our bird feeders & I fired from some distance with bird shot. It may ease your grief somewhat to know that the cat was buried properly with a prayer & that I’ll be glad to get you another of your choice.

I called & came by your house several times. We will be in the Dominican Republic until Thursday. I’ll see you then.

Love, Jimmy

Jimmy Carter is the biggest douche on the planet, but that's pretty darned funny.

-b0b
(...would've used 00 buck, not birdshot.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #831 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Being 25 pounds overweight doesn't appear to raise your risk of dying from cancer or heart disease, says a new government study that seems to vindicate Grandma's claim that a few extra pounds won't kill you.

Released just a few weeks before Thanksgiving, the findings might comfort some who can't seem to lose those last 15 pounds. And they hearten proponents of a theory that it's possible to be "fit and fat."

The news isn't all good: Overweight people do have a higher chance of dying from diabetes and kidney disease...

..."Excess weight does not uniformly increase the risk of mortality from any and every cause, but only from certain causes," said the study's lead author Katherine Flegal, of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention...

... But being merely overweight — having a BMI between 25 and 30 — did not increase the risk of dying from heart disease or any kind of cancer.

Also surprising was that overweight people were up to about 40 percent less likely than normal-weight people to die from several other causes including emphysema, pneumonia, injuries and various infections. The age group that seemed to benefit most from a little extra padding were people aged 25 to 59; older overweight people had reduced risks for these diseases, too...

link: http://www.benningtonbanner.com/nation/ci_7391871

Saw this on another forum and wanted say suck it you skinny bastards!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #832 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I think you've just made Wes's day week life.

-b0b
(...is going to eat a box of twinkies to celebrate!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #833 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Quote:
SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- Coming soon next to the Coke and Pepsi in a store near you: ham-and latke-flavored soda to make your holiday feast complete.

Jones Soda's Christmas Pack flavors are Sugar Plum, Egg Nog, Christmas Tree and Christmas Ham.

It even will be kosher, the company making it says -- including the ham.

Jones Soda Co., the Seattle-based purveyor of offbeat fizzy water, is selling holiday-themed limited-edition packs of flavored sodas.

The Christmas pack will feature such flavors as Sugar Plum, Christmas Tree, Egg Nog and Christmas Ham. The Hanukkah pack will have Jelly Doughnut, Apple Sauce, Chocolate Coins and Latkes sodas.

"As always, both packs are kosher and contain zero caffeine," Jones said in a statement.

The packs will go on sale Sunday, with a portion of the proceeds to be given to charity, the company said.

Jones' products feature original label art and frequently odd flavors. Last year's seasonal pack was Thanksgiving-themed, with Green Pea, Sweet Potato, Dinner Roll, Turkey and Gravy, and Antacid sodas.

For its contract to supply soda to Qwest Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks, Jones came up with Perspiration, Dirt, Sports Cream and Natural Field Turf. The company -- fortunately or unfortunately -- prides itself on the accuracy of the taste.

Jones also makes more traditional flavors, including root beer, cherry and strawberry sodas.

Now I would have prefered a bacon flavored soda, but I guess I will just have to wash down dinner with a tall glass of christmas tree soda.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #834 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 10:29am
Print Post  
I've had a sip of the turkey and mashed potato flavored Jones, and they're easily the nastiest things I've ever consumed.

Kudos to Jones for being original, though!

-b0b
(...wishes they'd bring back Happy flavor.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #835 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
What can the $611 billion we're spending on the war buy you in other areas?  A nice slide show showing just that...I don't agree with all of them being useful...but hey...at least they're finally starting to try and be reporters:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/gallery/251007war_costs/

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #836 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Those are some interesting numbers.  Personally,  I think the money would best be spent by... get this... not spending it at all!

-b0b
(...thinks 30% of his paycheck for taxes is a bit much.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #837 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
And don't forget...after that 30% you have to pay more for the dirty, free money you keep with income tax!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #838 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
It's ridiculous.  I've got to pay income tax on the money I make, in addition to Social Security (that I'll never see) and Medicare (that I'll never qualify for).  With the money I have left over, I have to pay sales tax on the stuff I buy (and, now, the services I receive), with additional taxes on my telephone and Internet lines, gasoline, highway tolls, et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

-b0b
(...rants.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #839 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Yea its bloody insane. The founding fathers are spinning in their graves at 5000 rpm right now.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90
Send TopicPrint