Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879418 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #840 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
We should hook them up to some magnets and use them to generate electricity.

Of course, there are at least two or three different taxes on every electric bill I receive, so that's probably a bad idea.

-b0b
(...grrs.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #841 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Use that money to feed the poor?

Get a damn job you slackers!

...even briney got one!  (ouch, it's a deep burn)

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #842 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 8:37am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Nov 12th, 2007 at 8:31pm:
Get a damn job you slackers!

...even briney got one!

Ouch!  That was such a hot burn, Joan of Arc is checking her angelic feet for blisters, and she doesn't even know why!

-b0b
(...rofflecopters!)

LOLMontyPython.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #843 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Killer wants sex in prison
MARMION pub killer Jamie Bain is said to be preparing a legal challenge to be allowed to have sex in prison while serving his 22-year life sentence.

The 23-year-old wants to have conjugal visits from his fiancée Dionne Hendry - which would make him the first prisoner allowed to have sex behind bars in Scotland. Bain was given a life sentence and ordered to serve a minimum of 22 years in January after blasting ex-boxing champ Alex McKinnon in the Marmion pub in Gracemount.

Bain launched the shotgun attack because he feared retribution after beating up Miss Hendry, with whom he has two children. Her brother James was also wounded in the shooting, but survived.

So he should be allowed to have sex with the woman he beat and then shot a guy for maybe retaliating for the beating of the woman..../headspin

And another thing, I have heard rumors of sex in prison, don't go complaining if it isn't the sex you were thinking about.

Don't do the crime if ya don't want it in the....

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #844 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...while serving his 22-year life sentence.

What the heck is a 22-year life sentence?  That sounds like an oxymoron to me!  It's either life or it isn't!

The only way a 22-year life sentence makes sense is if they kill him at the end of his 22-year term.

-b0b
(...thinks Jamie's fiancée must be a real winner.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #845 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Well it's actually stated "22 years TO life" so he must serve a minimum of 22 years before being considered for parole.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #846 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 8:49am
Print Post  
X wrote on Nov 13th, 2007 at 7:33pm:
Well it's actually stated "22 years TO life"

But that's not what the article says.  It states "22-year life sentence," not "22 years TO life" as you've indicated.

-b0b
(...so there.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #847 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:15am
Print Post  
It's just another way of saying it though.  Like saying RBI instead of Runs Batted In.  It's just shortened.

Also...you...have a typo there.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #848 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:30am
Print Post  
What typo?  Cool

RBI is an acronym.  "22-year life sentence" is retarded.  There's no comparison!

-b0b
(...didn't see any typo.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #849 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
SYDNEY (AFP) - Santas in Australia's largest city have been told not to use Father Christmas's traditional "ho ho ho" greeting because it may be offensive to women, it was reported Thursday.

Sydney's Santa Clauses have instead been instructed to say "ha ha ha" instead, the Daily Telegraph reported.

One disgruntled Santa told the newspaper a recruitment firm warned him not to use "ho ho ho" because it could frighten children and was too close to "ho", a US slang term for prostitute.

"Gimme a break," said Julie Gale, who runs the campaign against sexualising children called Kids Free 2B Kids.

"We are talking about little kids who do not understand that "ho, ho, ho" has any other connotation and nor should they," she told the Telegraph.

"Leave Santa alone."

A local spokesman for the US-based Westaff recruitment firm said it was "misleading" to say the company had banned Santa's traditional greeting and it was being left up to the discretion of the individual Santa himself.

haha, Bobs a ho ho ho!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #850 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Yeah, and you're a ho ho mo.

-b0b
(...so there!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #851 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Quote:
LAKEPORT, Calif. - Three young black men break into a white man's home in rural Northern California. The homeowner shoots two of them to death — but it's the surviving black man who is charged with murder.

In a case that has brought cries of racism from civil rights groups, Renato Hughes Jr., 22, was charged by prosecutors in this overwhelmingly white county under a rarely invoked legal doctrine that could make him responsible for the bloodshed.

"It was pandemonium" inside the house that night, District Attorney Jon Hopkins said. Hughes was responsible for "setting the whole thing in motion by his actions and the actions of his accomplices."

Prosecutors said homeowner Shannon Edmonds opened fire Dec. 7 after three young men rampaged through the Clearlake house demanding marijuana and brutally beat his stepson. Rashad Williams, 21, and Christian Foster, 22, were shot in the back. Hughes fled.

Hughes was charged with first-degree murder under California's Provocative Act doctrine, versions of which have been on the books in many states for generations but are rarely used.

The Provocative Act doctrine does not require prosecutors to prove the accused intended to kill. Instead, "they have to show that it was reasonably foreseeable that the criminal enterprise could trigger a fatal response from the homeowner," said Brian Getz, a San Francisco defense attorney unconnected to the case.

The NAACP complained that prosecutors came down too hard on Hughes, who also faces robbery, burglary and assault charges. Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty.

The Rev. Amos Brown, head of the San Francisco chapter of the NAACP and pastor at Hughes' church, said the case demonstrates the legal system is racist in remote Lake County, aspiring wine country 100 miles north of San Francisco. The sparsely populated county of 13,000 people is 91 percent white and 2 percent black.

Brown and other NAACP officials are asking why the homeowner is walking free. Tests showed Edmonds had marijuana and prescription medication in his system the night of the shooting. Edmonds had a prescription for both the pot and the medication to treat depression.

"This man had no business killing these boys," Brown said. "They were shot in the back. They had fled."

On Thursday, a judge granted a defense motion for a change of venue. The defense had argued that he would not be able to get a fair trial because of extensive local media coverage and the unlikelihood that Hughes could get a jury of his peers in the county. A new location for the trial will be selected Dec. 14.

The district attorney said that race played no part in the charges against Hughes and that the homeowner was spared prosecution because of evidence he was defending himself and his family, who were asleep when the assailants barged in at 4 a.m.

Edmonds' stepson, Dale Lafferty, suffered brain damage from the baseball bat beating he took during the melee. The 19-year-old lives in a rehabilitation center and can no longer feed himself.

"I didn't do anything wrong. All I did was defend my family and my children's lives," said Edmonds, 33. "I'm sad the kids are dead, I didn't mean to kill them."

He added: "Race has nothing to do with it other than this was a gang of black people who thought they were going to beat up this white family."

California's Provocative Act doctrine has primarily been used to charge people whose actions led to shooting deaths.

However, in one notable case in Southern California in 1999, a man who robbed a family at gunpoint in their home was convicted of murder because a police officer pursuing him in a car chase slammed into another driver in an intersection, killing her.

Hughes' mother, San Francisco schoolteacher Judy Hughes, said she believes the group didn't intend to rob the family, just buy marijuana. She called the case against her son a "legal lynching."

"Only God knows what happened in that house," she said. "But this I know: My son did not murder his childhood friends."

Parts bolded for justice.

OK, first of all, of course the guy who shot the three guys beating his son (yes I know it is step-son, but oh well) with a freaking baseball bat is racist.  I mean if the white guy started beating one of the black guys with a bat the other two would have walked up and said "I say sir, may I inquire as to why you feel that my friend needs to die?" 

Next, why wasn't he charged with drug possession?  It is called a prescription, he had one, if you don't know that means he is legally allowed to keep those drugs for his personal use.

I do feel that he shouldn't be given the death penalty for "murdering" his friends.  But, that would not be an issue for me because if this happened to me I would have chased him down and make sure he didn't get away.

Now a good question for the debate thread.  If you saw this, would you: ask what they are doing or would you open fire?

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #852 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:50am
Print Post  
This would actually be a perfect scenario.  My bedside pistol has a mag locked and loaded, and two mags sitting right next to it.  That's twelve rounds of .40S&W Federal HydraShok JHP for each bad guy.

I'm not sure about the frequency with which the "Provocative Acts" law is applied, but there are similar laws in many states (including Michigan) that are used all the time.  In Michigan, if you are committing a felony with an accomplice and that accomplice dies in the act, you can (and probably will) be charged with murder.  It's a form of murder by proxy.

I think the guy was completely justified in shooting all three of those bastards the moment they broke into his home.  The fact that they nearly killed his stepson by assault with a deadly weapon is only icing on the justification cake.

-b0b
(...thinks the shooter should walk.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #853 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
A strange blue cloud seen floating and darting around customers, freezing for 30 minutes and then speeding from an Ohio gas station, remains unexplained even though it was caught on security cams.

The ghostly image was seen moving near and over cars at a Marathon gas station located near the corner of State Road and Pleasant Valley in Parma on Sunday.

Surveillance video of the image showed it flipping and then sitting in the same location for 30 minutes.

It then flies off the screen at a high rate of speed.

"It gives me the chills," a witness said.

Security video then shows it coming back and resting on a car window before floating away.

Several people said they believe the image is a ghost or an angel.

"It was an angel," a witness said. "There was an angel here."

The owner of the gas station said he was happy the image went away and has not come back.

"I actually watched it for 30 minutes and then actually I watched it move and that is when I got freaked out," said owner Amed Abudaaria.

Groups of people have traveled to the gas station after word spread of the unexplained event.

Edit:  Doh!  link: http://www.local6.com/news/14578641/detail.html

Light from jupiter reflected off a pocket of swamp gas which is what caused the image.

Nothing else to see here, move along.

It is a ghost!  or a bug on the lens...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #854 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Five bucks says it was the same ghost from the Al Capone hunt.

-b0b
(...runs away.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 90
Send TopicPrint