Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879722 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #870 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Two people are being held hostage by an armed man at Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign office in Rochester, New Hampshire, police said Friday.

The man walked into the office at about 1 p.m., Maj. Michael Hambrook of the New Hampshire State Police told CNN affiliate WMUR-TV.

Hambrook and Clinton campaign officials said two people were believed to be inside.

Shortly before 2 p.m., police officers were gathered across the street from the office, some kneeling behind police cruisers with guns drawn.  Watch police take up positions »

Witnesses described the man as in his 40s with salt-and-pepper hair, WMUR reported.

A woman and her baby were released by the hostage-taker, the woman told workers at a nearby business, according to the WMUR Web site.

A witness, Lettie Tzizik, told WMUR she spoke to a woman shortly after she was released from the office by the hostage-taker.

"A young woman with a 6-month or 8-month-old infant came rushing into the store just in tears, and she said, 'You need to call 911. A man has just walked into the Clinton office, opened his coat and showed us a bomb strapped to his chest with duct tape,'" the Web site reported.

Clinton, a candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination, is in the Washington area.

"Unfortunately as some of you know, there is a hostage situation in New Hampshire involving a Clinton campaign staff person," Dean told those who had gathered for the event.

"The details are sketchy at this time, but understandably Senator Clinton is now dealing with this very difficult problem and she is not going to be able to join us today. And we will keep them in our prayers and hope for a resolution to this situation in New Hampshire."

Buildings close to the storefront campaign office on Main Street were evacuated, including local campaign centers for Clinton's Democratic presidential rivals, Sen. Barack Obama and former senator John Edwards.

Cassandra Hamilton, who works in an office adjacent to the Clinton office, told WMUR: "I walked out and I immediately started running, and I saw that the road was blocked off. They told me run and keep going."

Long story short, man goes into Clintons office with a bomb strapped to his chest, Hillary wasn't even in the state.  Sometimes a little research goes a long way.

...he still gets an 'A' for effort though.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #871 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I think that might qualify him as a Darwin candidate.  Good job, retard!

Clinton supporters or not, I certainly hope they all get home safely.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #872 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
CLEARWATER, Fla. (AP) -- Evel Knievel, the hard-living motorcycle daredevil whose jumps over Greyhound buses, live sharks and Idaho's Snake River Canyon made him an international icon in the 1970s, died Friday. He was 69.

Why did God take him but let hillary clinton leave the state.  WHYYY!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #873 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Hmm, maybe we could convince Hillary to jump a motorcycle over a dozen flaming buses and straight into a pool full of piranhas?

-b0b
(...would then allow Evel to leave the state.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #874 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Geez...why would anyone want to live in Clearwater, FL?  The entire town is corrupted by Scietologist wackos.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #875 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 3:21am
Print Post  
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2007/11/27/yeates.ut.robo.soldier.ksl?iref...

So yeah, I had a nice conversation up at tech where I said that this type of thing would never exist.  Guess all they have to work out is a power supply that can last...

And just in time for Ironman!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #876 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 11:49am
Print Post  
That's incredibly awesome.  The power supply will be the real trick, though.  Batteries have come a long way in recent years, but not nearly that far.

-b0b
(...fusion power!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #877 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7123582.stm

Quote:
The companies behind Call of Duty and World of Warcraft are merging in a deal which could shake up the global video games industry.

Activision and Blizzard have said they will form "the world's most profitable games business" in a deal worth $18.8bn

http://blizzard.com/press/071202.shtml

Quote:
Vivendi to Contribute Vivendi Games Valued at $8.1 Billion, Plus $1.7 Billion in Cash in Exchange for Approximately 52% Stake in Activision Blizzard at Closing; Total Transaction Valued at $18.9 Billion

Activision Blizzard Will Commence Post-Closing Cash Tender Offer for Up to 146.5 Million of its Shares at $27.50 per Share, Representing 31% Premium for Activision Stockholders Based on 20-Trading Day Average

wow!

Huge news. I hope this doesn't compromise Blizzard's quality of games.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #878 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
I wonder what this will entail for the StarCraft MMO?

Overall, I'd have to say this is bad news.  The gaming industry has been consolidating like crazy over the past several years, starting with Westwood selling out in 2003.  This seems to have had an inordinately large affect on the PC gaming industry.

Of course, with the budget of big titles soaring to $50 million and up, mom and shops just can't compete anymore.

-b0b
(...will keep an eye on this one.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #879 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Like in the NES days where you could tell the indy's by their blue cartridges.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #880 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
CASSELBERRY, Fla. — Casselberry authorities say a police sergeant has been fired for suing a family after she slipped and fell while trying to rescue a 1-year-old boy from drowning.

Casselberry Police Chief John Pavlis fired Sergeant Andrea Eichhorn on Tuesday.

Eichhorn has dropped her negligence lawsuit. It claimed there was water on the floor at Joey Cosmillo's home when police arrived. Eichhorn claimed she broke her knee and missed two months of work after she slid on the wet floor.

The boy suffered brain damage and can no longer walk, talk or swallow. He lives in a nursing home and eats and breathes through tubes.

Eichhorn can appeal her firing. Pavlis said the lawsuit brought public ridicule to the agency and damaged its reputation.

I am very glad to hear this.  Oh you fell?  Well, cry me big sloppy tears while this family just lost their child!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #881 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Maybe she should stop trying to save people.

Her: How dare you little boy almost drown and is living free and easy on tubes while I got fired!  I demand you give me all your moneyz!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #882 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Although my faith in humanity is practically non-existent, I can only hope there is significantly more to the store than is shown in that article.

-b0b
(...dies.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #883 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Quote:
"w00t" crowned word of year by U.S. dictionary

BOSTON (Reuters) - "w00t", an expression of joy coined by online gamers, was crowned word of the year on Tuesday by the publisher of a leading U.S. dictionary.

Massachusetts-based Merriam-Webster said "w00t" -- typically spelled with two zeros -- reflects a new direction in the American language led by a generation raised on video games and mobile phone text-messaging.

It's like saying "yay", the dictionary said.

"It could be after a triumph or for no reason at all," Merriam-Webster said.

Visitors to Merriam-Webster's Web site were invited to vote for one of 20 words and phrases culled from the most frequently looked-up words on the site and submitted by readers.

Runner-up was "facebook" as a new verb meaning to add someone to a list of friends on the Web site Facebook.com or to search for people on the social networking site.

Merriam-Webster President John Morse said "w00t" reflected the growing use of numeric keyboards to type words.

"People look for self-evident numeral-letter substitutions: 0 for O; 3 for E; 7 for T; and 4 for A," he said. "This is simply a different and more efficient way of representing the alphabetical character."

One Web site, www.thinkgeek.com, already sells T-shirts with the word "w00t" printed on the front.

"w00t belongs to gamers the world over. It seems to have been derived from the obsolete 'whoot' which essentially is another way to say 'hoot' which itself is a shout or derisive laugh," Think Geek said on its Web site.

"But others maintain that w00t is the sound several players make while jumping like bunnies in Quake III," it added, referring to a popular video game.

Online gamers often replace numbers and symbols with letters to form what Merriam-Webster calls an "esoteric computer hacker language" known as "l33t speak." This translates into "leet", which is short for "elite".

A separate survey of words used in the media and on the Internet by California-based Global Language Monitor produced a different set of winners on Tuesday. "Hybrid" took top honours as word of the year with "climate change" the top phrase.

Global Language Monitor, which uses an algorithm to track words and phrases in the media and on the Internet, said "hybrid" had broad connotations of "all things green from biodiesel to wearing clothes made of soy to global warming".

Runner-up was "surge," based on the "surge" of 30,000 extra U.S. troops deployed to Iraq since mid-June, followed by the word "Bluetooth," a technology used to connect electronic devices via radio waves.

"The English language is becoming more and more a globalised language every year," said Global Language Monitor president Paul Payack, noting that this year's list included words also culled from India, Singapore, China and Australia.

The norms have heard our language!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #884 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Hurry, we must adapt!  We must hide our lexicon from the normies before they learn about our l33t hax0r sk1llz!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 90
Send TopicPrint