Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880186 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #75 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
This might be the saddest thing I've ever read.

Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — Americans apparently know more about "The Simpsons" than they do about the First Amendment.

Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey.

The study by the new McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum found that 22 percent of Americans could name all five Simpson family members, compared with just one in 1,000 people who could name all five First Amendment freedoms.

Joe Madeira, director of exhibitions at the museum, said he was surprised by the results.

"Part of the survey really shows there are misconceptions, and part of our mission is to clear up these misconceptions," said Madeira, whose museum will be dedicated to helping visitors understand the First Amendment when it opens in April. "It means we have our job cut out for us."

The survey found more people could name the three "American Idol" judges than identify three First Amendment rights. They were also more likely to remember popular advertising slogans.

It also showed that people misidentified First Amendment rights. About one in five people thought the right to own a pet was protected, and 38 percent said they believed the right against self-incrimination contained in the Fifth Amendment was a First Amendment right, the survey found.

The telephone survey of 1,000 adults was conducted Jan. 20-22 by the research firm Synovate and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

-b0b
(...bashes his head against the wall.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #76 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-07-18-dork-pride_x.htm

"Lo and behold I saw them...riding through the sky.  And I saw the seventh sign on the End.  It was a pale horse, and upon him sat a half man, half Vulcan.  In his right hand was an inhaler, in his left hand was a slide rule.  Then the man spoke in a nazzly voice, "The final sign of the end...when geeks are considered cool!....Glovin!"

Revelations 14:6c...the secret chapter....the jocks got rid of it in 1611.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #77 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20060306/tc_nf/41948
Quote:
It took a hacker less than 30 minutes to gain root-level access to Mac OS X, according to a report from ZDNet. The hacker who penetrated the system called the Mac "easy pickings."

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #78 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Mar 6th, 2006 at 8:11pm:
Quote:
It took a hacker less than 30 minutes to gain root-level access to Mac OS X, according to a report from ZDNet. The hacker who penetrated the system called the Mac "easy pickings."

Nothing unexpected there.  There isn't a widely-used OS on the market that couldn't be pwned in under 30 minutes with all ports open to the Intertron.

Don't rely on your OS to save you.  Put a decent firewall in front of your boxen and restrict ports to what is absolutely necessary.  If you've got more than four or five publicly-accessible ports, you need to distribute your resources better.

-b0b
(...thinks the test was sheer propoganda.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #79 - Mar 8th, 2006 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/03/08/D8G7JSU8C.html

WOW SOMEONE FINALLY HAS THE NERVE TO ACTUALLY USE SOMETHING WITHIN THEIR POWER TO STOP ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS!

X
(Think this guy needs a medal or something)

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #80 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 11:43am
Print Post  
I don't usually follow Google ad links, but I was just too curious about this one:

http://www.worldslastchance.com

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #81 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Marie wrote on Mar 10th, 2006 at 11:43am:
I don't usually follow Google ad links, but I was just too curious about this one:

http://www.worldslastchance.com

That site is total BS.  It was put together by the Seventh Day Adventists to promote their totally skewed version of the end times.  Here's a sample of their absurdity, gleaned from that site.

Quote:
15. How then can I avoid receiving the mark of the beast?

This is the most important question. God, in His infinite love, has warned us not to worship the beast and thereby receive his mark. Those receiving the mark of the beast "shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture [without mercy] into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone...who worship the beast [honor papacy through Sunday observance] and his image [USA enforcing Sunday observance], and whosever receiveth the mark of his name" Rev. 14:10, 11.

These are very solemn words from God. His wrath is in proportion to the offense. By honoring, Sunday, originated by Satan through the papacy, you are preparing to receive the mark of the beast. Satan wants to deceive as many as he can into honoring this counterfeit day. To perfect his deception, he chose Sunday, the day of Christ's resurrection knowing that most people would believe that Sunday observance is more appropriate than Saturday, since it honors the resurrection of Christ. But the only way not to receive the mark of the beast is to refuse honoring a day that was not chosen of God. The only day which God has ordained as holy is Saturday Sabbath and by honoring it you will receive the "the seal of the living God" Rev. 7:2.

In other words, they think you're going to Hell if you go to church on Sunday.  What a total crock.

God doesn't care when you assemble, only that you do assemble. 

Where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. –Matthew 18:20

If your church assembles at 2:30am on a bleary Tuesday morning, that assembly is just as relevant as one that assembles at 12:00pm on a bright Sunday afternoon, or 7:00pm on a Saturday evening.

I could go on and on about why we assemble on a Sunday, and why the Mark of the Beast is a literal, physical, visible symbol on the forehead and/or hand, but I think I'd be preaching to the choir.  Total BS.

What really upsets me about this is the great lengths the Seventh Day Adventists go to in concealing their identity.  This website, from what I can see, does not mention their name at all.  The doctrine, however, is very distinctly 7DA, just as polygamy is distinctly Mormon.  I got a letter in the mail from the 7DA advertising an "end times conference" (did I show this to you, Stewie?) that sounded really fantastic, until I started researching the speaker.  Total crackpot.  Nowhere on the letter was the name of the church mentioned, outside of the "address" the seminar was being held at.

Why the subterfuge?  What are they afraid of?  Why would you have to hide from the title of your church?

-b0b
(...knows the answer.)
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2006 at 1:02am by b0b »  

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #82 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
It was my understanding that worship on Sunday originated from Emperor Constantine of the Roman Empire. It had something to do with Sunday being the  Roman day honoring the sun god Apollo.

Preach to the choir bob, I'm listening.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #83 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Ditto on what Bob said...do you still happen to have that hilarious pamphlet the SDA gave you about the end times bob?  That was some good stuff...I want to bump my head on a rock and have visions and have poeple follow me.

X
(Not really)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #84 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I don't know if I still have it or not.  I got it about the same time I got my free "prayer rug" from those crackas in Illinois.  Weird.

Ellen G. White was truly a messed up woman.  She gets busted in the head with a rock and starts having visions, and people somehow think it's because she was blessed by the Holy Spirit.

Riiiiiight.

-b0b
(...shakes his head in disbelief.)

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #85 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
What in the 7734 is a prayer rug?

Yeah, that site's messed up.

What worries me is that most of the relatives on my mother's side of the family are SDA and that they have grown up with these false truths.

Everyone else is Catholic, which isn't much better.  *sigh*

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #86 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Dang you got screwed on both sides...that's too bad.

X

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #87 - Mar 12th, 2006 at 1:47am
Print Post  
I just got back from a baby shower where an aunt of mine explained that she's never been angry at God for things that have happened in life and has never hated anyone (I told her that was pretty admirable because I couldn't name a single person in the Bible to whom those two conditions apply, which made her smile), that she's going to heaven because she's been nice to everyone, was called to be a nun ever since she was 4 but never got the chance to do so, goes to mass three times a day, and that she is Jesus' favorite person because of all of this.

There's more, but it was a very long conversation and I'm tired and have church tomorrow.  There were so many times where she said one thing and then contradicted it minutes later, and when I addressed it she said that it didn't apply to her because Jesus treats her differently.

I also had a family friend a few months back who gave me a brochure pretty much stating that I'm going to hell because I believe in New Testament miracles like healing, prophecy and tongues and have witnessed all of them firsthand. 

Time to read more apologetics stuff!

*hugs*

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #88 - Mar 13th, 2006 at 11:27am
Print Post  
http://www.rapidnewswire.com/candownload.htm

Blast!  How am I not beating the Canadians just by myself?  I feel like such a failure!  Cry

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #89 - Mar 16th, 2006 at 1:56am
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060316/en_movies_eo/18577

Proof Number 1,567 that God exists:

Harrison Ford will be playing Indy in IJ4!

X
(Amen!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 90
Send TopicPrint