Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879373 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #915 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I haven't seen it.  Give me a summary.

-b0b
(...demands the Cliff's Notes.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #916 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Imagine Planet of The Apes but we evolve down to morons.  The movie explains, at the beginning, how we headed down that path.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upyewL0oaWA

This is really the only funny part of the whole movie.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #917 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Quote:
A Maryland man who claims to be the king of the Isle of Man hopes to visit his subjects next year — but he may find there's no welcome mat.

David Howe, 38, of Frederick, Md., was crowned King David of Mann on March 30 in a stateside coronation ceremony after filing a claim with the British government.

Howe, a small businessman who married his high-school sweetheart, decided to assume the throne after a U.K. genealogist contacted him in 2006 to say he might have a right to the crown.

Howe filed a claim with Her Majesty's Stationary Office on Dec. 20, 2006, they published the claim in Queen Elizabeth II's paper of record, the London Gazette, and after no one objected, they sent him a crown, robe and anointing spoon for the ceremony, he said.

Howe said he "kind of expected the Queen to object to the claim obviously, but after 90 days, nobody had objected. Nobody had contested it."

That sentiment changed once the residents of the Isle of Man got wind of their new "sovereign."

"As far as the Isle of Man Government is concerned the Isle of Man’s sovereign is Her Majesty the Queen, as Lord of Mann," Tony Brown, the island's chief minister, has said. "I am not aware of any valid alternative claim to sovereignty over the Island."

The isle — in the Irish Sea between England and Scotland — has a population of about 80,000 and is best-known for an annual motorcycle race around the island.

Man's lieutenant governor, Sir Paul Kenneth Haddacks, who is the Queen's representative to the island, declined to comment for this story.

A King Drew blog, The King of the Isle of Man, popped up this month, slamming his claims and asking readers to rate Howe as a "dangerous nutter," "harmless nutter," "serious candidate" or just a man with a "Napoleon complex."

Howe visited London in October, but wasn't ready for the cold reception.

"It kind of blew up into something big," Howe said. "I'm certainly not challenging the Queen's authority or sovereignty over the island. I haven't amassed an army or anything like that to invade, so I'm certainly not a threat at all."

King David of Mann has made the royal decision to use his newfound title for charity. He set up a MySpace page and a Web site, royaltyofman.com, where he touts his personal cause, the Malawi Missions Project to help AIDS orphans in Africa. He said that money will be funneled to charities such as World Vision and UNICEF.

And now, through the Web site Nobility.co.uk, he's selling royal titles to benefit the cause. For about $180,000, one can become a duke or duchess. The cheapest title is a knighthood, all yours for just $40,000.

"I realize that we're kind of hitting a different person in a different type of income bracket with the titles," said Howe, who notes they haven't gotten any title takers. "But beyond that, I encourage anybody if they're really interested to sponsor a child through World Vision. For the cost of a latte a week, they could really change a child's life."

The nobility site stresses that because the titles will be bestowed in America, they do not violate the "1925 Honours (Prevention of Abuses) Act" making it illegal to sell peerages.

Not much has changed day to day for King David of Mann, who lives in an unassuming home with his queen, a pistol-packing monarch named Pamela, and their princess, 5-year-old Grace.

"We're nobody special," he said.

His friends jokingly call him King Ralph, from the John Goodman movie of the same name, and he occasionally entertains their requests for an informal title, free of charge.

"They’ll rib me enough," Howe said. "And then I’ll say, 'OK, get down on your knees,' but nothing really formal like that."

Hmmm, Sir Craig.  I like the sound of that.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #918 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 9:49am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 20th, 2007 at 8:56am:
Quote:
'OK, get down on your knees.'

I like the sound of that.

I bet you do.

-b0b
(...zing!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #919 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Quote:
MADISON, WI -- This was the view Saturday from a University of Wisconsin police cruiser after a man slipped away in a Krispy Kreme doughnut truck from a convenience store parking lot.

He stopped the truck, police closed in, but the suspect, Warren G. Whitelightning, struck the cruiser by backing up.

Whitelightning then took off, with police now in hot pursuit chasing the doughnuts and the truck.

As Krispy Kremes flew everywhere, the suspect fled to a store's parking lot where he gave up.

A magistrate set his bail at $2,100.

Warren G. Whitelightning is being charged with shoplifting eight giant red hot pickled sausages from a store on University Avenue, stealing the doughnut truck, ramming a University of Wisconsin police car, attempting to elude pursing officers, operating after revocation, his fourth time drunk driving, and a hit and run.

Crap, Jim is off the wagon again.

And you can't make up a name that awesome.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #920 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 9:58am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 26th, 2007 at 9:24am:
And you can't make up a name that awesome.

With a name like that, he has a shot in the pr0n business.

Am I the only one that thinks a $2,100 bail is a bit light for all the crap he was charged with?

-b0b
(...thinks $20,000 is more like it.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #921 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 11:10am
Print Post  
They probably tried to set the bail at $21k, but the judge was laughing so hard at stealing a donut truck that he wrote $2.1k instead.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #922 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I bet the cops are never going to live that one down.  When they got a call to pursue a stolen doughnut truck, they probably thought it was an early April Fool's joke.

-b0b
(...lock and load!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #923 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
It's not really a news article, but check out this awesome video.  It shows a live demonstration of some new video technology that allows users to edit the appearance of people on the fly, and it looks absolutely amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqAIKtDWab8

I bet Briney is going to crap himself when he sees that!

Just imagine the implications this will have on virtual reality.  Before too long, people we be able to use a webcam to beam themselves into some crappy MMO and use this software to dress themselves up as their characters, pimples and all.

-b0b
(...holodeck, here we come!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #924 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hammer's DanceJam.com to Debut Mid-Jan.

By MICHAEL LIEDTKE AP Business Writer
© 2008 The Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO — MC Hammer hasn't topped the music charts since the early 1990s, but the former rap star says he has another hit in him _ only this time around he'll produce it as a Silicon Valley entrepreneur.

Hammer, whose real name is Stanley Burrell, is choreographing a new career as co-founder and chief strategy officer of Menlo Park-based DanceJam.com.

The Web site, scheduled to debut in mid-January, will try to upstage YouTube and become the Internet's hub for sharing and watching dance videos. DanceJam then hopes to make money by grabbing a piece of the rapidly growing Internet advertising market, which is expected to rake in $27.5 billion in 2008, according to eMarketer.

If the business pans out, DanceJam could help Hammer compensate for losing his fortune when he went bankrupt in 1996 with nearly $14 million in debts.

The bankruptcy was a sobering comedown for Hammer, who parlayed the popularity of his once-ubiquitous song, "U Can't Touch This," to become a pop icon in the early 1990s. Besides becoming a fixture on MTV, Hammer appeared on kids' lunch boxes and even had his own action figure.

Although Hammer isn't churning out best-selling records any longer, everyone still seems to know his name. Even children born after his downfall are familiar with his music because "U Can't Touch This" still gets played in TV shows and movies.

But Hammer's involvement in DanceJam has more to do with his technological savvy than his celebrity, said Ron Conway, a longtime Silicon Valley investor who is part of a small group that provided DanceJam with $1 million in startup funds.

"I expect him to integrate all his knowledge into this Web site," said Conway, who befriended Hammer at a baseball game seven years ago and has been tutoring him in the ways of technology ever since. "He is the lightning rod for this whole thing."

Hammer, 45, started poking around Silicon Valley while he was still selling millions of records. He often hung out at computer makers like Silicon Graphics Inc. and Apple Inc., hoping to learn more about how technology might help his music career.

"There is no high-tech lingo or business strategy that you can talk that is above my head," Hammer boasted during an interview. "I breathe this stuff."

Hammer's entrepreneurial roots date back to the 1980s when he began recording songs with financial help from a few Oakland Athletics, where he once worked as a ball boy. His nickname came from his resemblance to the former home run king, Hammerin' Hank Aaron.

Without the support of a major music label, Hammer built a loyal fan base by hitting the streets and selling his early recordings out of a car.

His success in grass roots marketing prompted Salesforce.com Inc. to call on Hammer for advice in its early days. The company wanted to raise awareness about its online software service without paying a lot for traditional advertising, said Marc Benioff, Salesforce.com's chief executive officer.

"We really learned a lot from Hammer. He is the most entrepreneurial individual I have ever met," said Benioff, whose San Francisco-based company is now worth $7 billion.

Hammer and his DanceJam partners _ Geoffrey Arone, the chief executive, and Anthony Young, the chief technology officer _ are wading into a market already saturated with dozens of Web sites that have built huge video libraries.

Arone became convinced the Web needed a site devoted exclusively to dance shortly after he left Web browsing startup Flock, which he had co-founded. Hammer had been feeling the same way about dance for years so they quickly hit it off when they first met and hammered out the concept for DanceJam.

Drawing upon the popularity of reality shows like "Dancing With The Stars," DanceJam will stage head-to-head competitions where contestants submit videos that will be judged by viewers. The site also will provide demonstrations and information about a wide variety of dances, ranging from the Boogaloo to the Krump.

Arone, Hammer and Young have spent several months videotaping people around the country dancing. They say they have stockpiled about 100 gigabytes of video to help launch DanceJam.

James McQuivey, a media analyst with Forrester Research, doubts that will be enough to lure people away from Google Inc.'s YouTube, which listed 1.7 million dance videos in its index as of late December.

"When people are looking for any video, whether it be about skateboarding, dancing or a science project, they don't stop to think about where's the best place to find it. They just start off by going to YouTube," McQuivey said.

The most watched video in YouTube's 2 1/2-year history happens to be about dancing. The 6-minute clip, a facetious tribute called "Evolution of Dance," includes about 25 seconds alluding to some of the moves that Hammer made famous back when he was still wearing colorful parachute pants as he sang "U Can't Touch This."

Hammer recognized YouTube's potential before most people he did. Besides putting some of his own clips on the site, Hammer visited YouTube's offices in February 2006 when there were still just a handful of people running the site above a pizza parlor. (A clip of that visit is at http://www.youtube.com/blog?month2&year2006.)

Until he saw what YouTube was doing, Hammer had doubts about the Web's entertainment value. "When everybody started raving about the Internet, I always wondered, 'If it's so great, why can't you see my videos on the Internet?'" Hammer said. "It looks like technology has finally caught up with my vision."

I give this company about six months before it goes belly up.  Any takers?

-b0b
(...maybe nine months if they're lucky!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #925 - Jan 2nd, 2008 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Quote:
expected to rake in $27.5 billion in 2008

And he...can't touch this.

...just went there *snaps a Z*

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #926 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Mexican Emergency Services Free Boy, 10, Who Glued Himself to Bed to Avoid School

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A 10-year-old boy thought he had discovered a novel way of getting off school — glueing his hand to the bed.

Diego Palacios had so much fun over the Christmas holiday he was in no rush to get back to lessons.

He had to be freed by emergency services in Monterrey, northern Mexico, after his master plan went wrong.

His mother, Sandra, spent nearly two hours trying to free his right hand with water, oil and nail polish remover, but to no avail.

"I didn't want to go to school because vacation was so much fun," the youngster explained.

He told how he sneaked into the kitchen in the early hours and then covered his hand with industrial-strength adhesive.

His mother woke up to find him watching TV with his hand stuck to the bed.

"I don't know why he did it," she said. "He's a good boy but mischievous — like all kids."

His hand was freed by paramedics — just in time for school.

Why didn't I ever think of this?

-b0b
(...those crazy kids.  What will they think of next?)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #927 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Good thing he didn't have a stapler.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #928 - Jan 8th, 2008 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Jan 8th, 2008 at 3:57pm:
Good thing he didn't have a stapler Spanky's mom on top of him.

Ha!  I don't even know how many times she's pinned me to the bed!

-b0b
(...doesn't even think the fire department could get her off.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #929 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
Halifax doctors are worried a new blanket ban on organ donations from gay men could lead to deaths by shrinking an already small pool of donors.

Health Canada recently altered its regulations to exclude any man who has had sex with a man in the previous five years from donating tissue.

The move surprised and upset Dr. Mark Walsh, surgical director of liver and kidney transplantation at the Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre in Halifax.

"This stipulation is ridiculous," he said Tuesday. "We should be careful about telling people ‘Don’t bother even thinking about donation.’ That’s going to turn off a segment of the population, which is unfair to both donors and recipients."

One lost donor could lead to several deaths, he noted.

Dr. Walsh said he has a patient who needs a liver transplant within days to survive but he’s now in a position where he’d have to turn down an organ if it happened to come from a gay man, despite the hospital’s screening procedures.

He said each potential donor and recipient must be considered individually.

HAHA, bob can't donate his organs!

The article doesn't cover the fact that gay organs can in fact burst into flames at any time, hence the name, flamers.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 90
Send TopicPrint