Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 879297 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #930 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 9:54am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Jan 9th, 2008 at 9:42am:
HAHA, bob can't donate his organs!

Well, it's a good thing your mom doesn't have the same misgivings Canada does.  She had no problem accepting my organ last night.

-b0b
(...zing!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #931 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Wow, that was a good come back...from bob?

Is some one cool posting under your name at penguin?

Lets see, some one who isn't a total douche at penguin, I am going to have to go with John Carter or that one maintance guy.(what the hell was his name?)

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #932 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Robert?

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #933 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A St. Louis-area town is considering a bill that would ban swearing in bars, along with table-dancing, drinking contests and profane music. City officials contend the bill is needed to keep rowdy crowds under control because the historic downtown area gets a little too lively on some nights.

City Councilman Richard Veit said he was prompted to propose the bill after complaints about bad bar behavior. He says it will give police some rules to enforce when things get too rowdy.

But some bar owners worry the bill is too vague and restrictive, saying it may be a violation of their civil rights.

Marc Rousseau, who owns bar R.T. Weilers, said he thinks the bill needs revision.

"We're dealing with adults here once again and I don't think it's the city's job or the government's job to determine what we can and cannot play in our restaurant," Rousseau said.

The proposal would ban indecent, profane or obscene language, songs, entertainment and literature at bars.

I know you guys really don't care about this...but, this makes me mister angry pants.  Ban profane language and songs, what are you planning on taking your 4 year old to the bar?  If you make it to the age of 21 without being able to hear the word fuck then you have a huge shock coming to you when your naive ass hits the real world.

On a side note I love profanity: hell, boobs, ass, and richard simmons.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #934 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I think the city is taking the wrong approach to combating violence in bars.

If I was mayor, I would pass an ordinance the forced all bars to install sprinkler systems containing gasoline.  If the police had to show up, they could just hit the "Melt All Patrons" button to unleash fiery doom on the loud folks.

-b0b
(...thinks banning profanity is pretty damned stupid.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #935 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Hmmm, having fiery doom rain down while having a few drinks out at the bar is so uncool.

...bob is a buzzkill!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #936 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Hey just because I think bars are evil doesn't mean I want the govt to exert control over them.

You want to smoke in bars?  Go ahead, if you own the bar and want people to.

What's next?  Banning greasy food in bars?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #937 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Quote:
What's next?  Banning greasy food in bars?

NOOOO!  That would be like banning it at McDonalds.  The horror!

I will get fat in any way I feel like mister government man.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #938 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 11:17am
Print Post  
You can take my double cheeseburger when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #939 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
$1.00 double cheeseburgers will rock your weak world.

-b0b
(...drools.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #940 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Sir Edmund Hillary, the unassuming beekeeper who conquered Mount Everest to win renown as one of the 20th century's greatest adventurers, has died, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark announced Friday. He was 88.

Everest came back and got its revenge.

Sweet, sweet revenge.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #941 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 10:28am
Print Post  
This was back in the day when if you got lost you didn't have your relatives call for search and rescue to triangulate your frozen body for you.  No!  You froze to death and you know what...you knew it built character and so you were happy for it!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #942 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 10:44am
Print Post  

Quote:
As Masai warriors guarded the Kenyan orphanage where sisters Brittanie and Aubrie Vander Mey and friend Jamie Cook worked, the three wondered how they would make it back to West Michigan.

They had planned to spend two months caring for orphans affected by HIV or AIDS at the Omwabini Centre in Kimilili, but post-election violence cut short their stay.

Newscasts told them the violence was coming closer each day to the orphanage, about 180 miles from Nairobi and 45 miles from Eldoret, where 35 people died when a church filled with women and children was burned last week.

Today, the women - Aubrie, 19, Jamie, 20, and Brittanie, 21 - were to return to Grand Rapids after a weekend rescue, reportedly with the help of Blackwater Worldwide personnel.

Dean Vander Mey, of Byron Township, Brittanie and Aubrie's father, said he credits their return to God's intervention and the private security firm.

"My daughter (Brittanie) told me today, 'Every town around us has been ripped apart,'" he said. "Their little town was the only safe town. ... I have to attribute (their safety) to the Lord."

Vander Mey said he learned of the conflict Dec. 28. He was enjoying a quiet weekend in his cottage up north when Brittanie called.

"She said, 'I'm OK,' and I asked, 'What are you talking about?'" he recalled. "'Haven't you heard the news?' she told me."

He learned of buses being stopped by militias, of corpses appearing on roadsides, of hundreds of Kenyans fleeing west, of stopped aid caravans, of the burned church, of the ethnic slayings.

The violence followed Dec. 27 elections. Kenya's electoral commission said President Mwai Kibaki had won the vote, but opposition leader Raila Odinga claims the election was rigged. International observers have said it was flawed.

The turmoil has left 486 dead and more than 75,000 people homeless, according to government figures.

"We didn't really realize the severity," Vander Mey said. "Then, I started to see how much mayhem was beginning to happen, and then it got very scary.

"They were right there, in the middle of that."

He also learned escape by car wasn't an option for the women, as militias made sure no one took the two-hour ride to Nairobi.

He pleaded for more safety personnel to be sent to guard the orphanage, but the young women were becoming increasingly nervous.

"They were scared, and I said, 'Honey, I don't know what to do.'" he said.

Vander Mey said he started calling government officials, congressmen -- whomever he could think of to get his daughters and their friend home.

"I was not getting whole lot of answers," he said. "They said, 'Stay safe; don't move.' I wasn't satisfied with the 'stay put.' That's what they were telling us: 'You're in harm's way, but don't move.'"

Hiring a helicopter wasn't an option. Vander Mey said he was told it would $20,000 to rent one for 30 minutes, and news stations and the Red Cross had already rented most of those available.

Vander Mey said he recalled relatives were friends with the family of Blackwater founder and Holland native Erik Prince and decided to give the company a call.

"They had internal contacts and everything," Vander Mey said. "They had people who could help."

He said Blackwater lined up a 10-person plane, rescued the women and other international workers and flew them to Nairobi. The three women then began the trip to Grand Rapids on Sunday afternoon.

Uganda -- not Kenya -- had been his daughters' first destination choice, Vander Mey said.

"I said, 'No, Uganda is not safe enough,'" he said. "I thought Kenya was much more stable. Nothing like this has happened there; it was a very safe place."

But he's not complaining.

"It's been a nightmare and a miracle," Vander Mey said.

...but, but, but it's Blackwater!  They're a bunch of homicidal thugs, right?!

-b0b
(...cackles!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #943 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 10:48am
Print Post  
I understand why people are ticked off at Blackwater...basically getting paid more than the troops and not having any rules to follow makes these people evil automatically.

However, if we want to pay mercs. to get shot and killed in a useless war...let's bring our troops home and we'll all be good.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #944 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Well that's what those girls get for trying to help people.

I would like this to be a joke, but it isn't.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 90
Send TopicPrint