Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 90 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Interesting News Article Thread (Read 880503 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Interesting News Article Thread
Reply #990 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:11am
Print Post  
I have seen total recall.  I know what happens on mars.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #991 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Yeah, I'm staying on Earth.  I'd rather not have my face melt off my skull, thank you very much.

-b0b
(...fears the Martian labor strikes ala Red Faction.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #992 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
I'd fear looking like Arnold from that movie

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #993 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Your picture of a red X intrigues me.  Please tell me more about your pill that increases my size...

I get too much spam on my yahoo account.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #994 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
What?

-b0b
(...is confused.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #995 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
It will only show me the red X of fail but I was able to view the picture from the source site.  This can only mean one thing.  Bob, your forum has a case of the brokens.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #996 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Oh, I didn't even see the infamous red X, so I didn't know there was a picture in that post to begin with.

The forum isn't broken.  The image is being hosted on a site that doesn't allow offsite linking.  That's not my fault.

-b0b
(...points out the handy forum attachment feature.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #997 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
Jan. 22, 2008

On April 29, SCO will finally have its day in court, but not exactly in the way the Unix and Linux litigation company had planned. If things had gone the way SCO wanted, it would be facing IBM to see how much money it would get for IBM using Unix code in Linux. Instead of that fantasy coming true, SCO will be trying to hang on to what's left of its assets from Novell.

U.S. District Court Judge Dale Kimball has already ruled on the heart of the issue. On Aug. 10, 2007, Kimball ruled that Novell, not SCO, owned Unix's IP (intellectual property). With that key card taken away, SCO's never-very-steady card house of lawsuits began falling.

Novell immediately moved to stop SCO in its tracks and collect the money SCO owed it from its Unix IP sales. SCO then tried for the relatively safe haven of bankruptcy.

SCO had hoped that, even in this extremity, York Capital would buy it out of bankruptcy and into private ownership. Once there, it could still continue to make its claims against Linux and try to battle it out with Novell and IBM. The York deal fell through, and that appears to have been SCO's last shot at finding anyone willing to invest in its lawsuits.

With this final financial blow, and several other problems, SCO was delisted from Nasdaq on Dec. 27.

Even before that, bankruptcy proved not to be a safe harbor for SCO. The Delaware bankruptcy court decided that Novell's action against SCO had to be completed before it could make a ruling. So it was that SCO now faces a four-day trial in Salt Lake City to determine how much it owes Novell.

Novell could be awarded as much as $37 million. With at most $13 million in current assets--and that includes the furniture, computers and kitchen sink--and millions in other liabilities, SCO could emerge from Judge Kimball's court without even a shirt to cover its back.

Bahahaha!  That's great news!  God gave us SCO so we'd have an organization to hate more than RIAA!

With SCO's stock trading at a whopping $0.08, I wonder why IBM doesn't just buy them out and send Darl McBride packing.  Of course, Darl probably owns a pretty significant chunk of SCO stock, and IBM/Novell doesn't want to inflate the value of his stock.

This is really too bad because SCO UNIX was a fairly solid operating system.  Sure, it's not AIX, but hey - we can't all be winners.

-b0b
(...will dance on SCO's grave.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #998 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - A farmer built an entire mock castle behind a screen of hay bales and lived there concealed for four years to evade planning regulations, officials said on Friday -- but it may be torn down anyway.

Robert Fidler hopes to take advantage of a provision of planning law that allows buildings without planning permission to be declared legal if no objections have been made after four years

But Reigate and Banstead Borough Council in Surrey is not impressed.

"It does not count because the property was hidden behind hay bales," said a spokeswoman. "No one knew it was there."

The council wants the building near Redhill some 30 km south of London to be demolished, along with an associated conservatory, marquee structure, wooden bridge, patio, decking and tarmac racecourse.

"It looks like a mock-Tudor house from the front and it's got two turrets at the back," the spokeswoman said. "I understand there is also a cannon."

The couple would have been unlikely to get planning permission as the farm was in "green belt" land where building was restricted, she said. A hearing takes place in February.

Fidler's wife Linda told the Daily Mail newspaper the children grew up looking at straw out of the windows of the house and that they kept their son away from playschool on the day his class were due to do paintings of their houses.

"We couldn't have him drawing a big blue haystack," she said. "People might ask questions."

Planning inspectors had been called to the site by concerned neighbours shortly before Fidler took the hay bales down in summer 2006 but had not seen the house.

"When the inspectors went there, all they saw was hay bales and hay bales on agricultural land are not that unusual," the spokeswoman said.

"I think the neighbours thought there might be something going on but it is difficult to tell, isn't it?"

Castle...nuff said.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #999 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Wow, he wins.  That is frickin' awesome.

-b0b
(...hats off!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1000 - Jan 28th, 2008 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/01/27/2008-01-27_empire_state_building_car_...

Anyone have any theories?

I figure it's either govt testing...or King Kong is ticked off about the 3 hour+ movie he was in that Peter Jackson forced him to.  If it's the govt testing...they better stop!!!

If it's the latter...I understand Kong...and I hope the electro shocks you are giving to Jackson's nuts is hurting him as much as he hurt me for the 4 hours he made me sit in a theater.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1001 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 8:18am
Print Post  
It's either the electronic coil pack or ghosts.

...my money is on ghosts.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1002 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 10:11am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Jan 29th, 2008 at 8:18am:
...my money is on ghosts.

Yeah, but who are you going to call?

-b0b
(...anybody?)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1003 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 10:59am
Print Post  
OK, that's it, I am going to watch that movie tonight.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1004 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Just don't play the NES game.

-b0b