Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) HOLY CRAP! News Stories (Read 283711 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: HOLY CRAP! News Stories
Reply #120 - Nov 5th, 2007 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
LAS VEGAS - A man accused of killing his wife and shooting the judge who was handling their bitter divorce reached a plea deal Monday, bringing an abrupt end to his trial.

Darren Mack, 46, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and entered an Alford plea to a charge of attempted murder as the defense began presenting opening statements to the jury.

Mack was on trial for the June 12, 2006, stabbing death of his estranged wife, Charla, at Mack's townhouse in south Reno. Authorities said after the killing, Mack drove to a downtown parking garage and shot Washoe Family Court Judge Chuck Weller through the third-floor window of the judge's chambers. The judge survived.

Under an Alford plea, a defendant acknowledges there is enough evidence for a conviction, but does not admit guilt.

In exchange for his admissions, prosecutors agreed to recommend a sentence of life in prison with possible parole after 20 years. However, the judge is not bound by that agreement. A sentencing date was not immediately set.

During the brief hearing, Mack apologized for shooting Weller, who sat in the first row behind the prosecution and watched the plea unfold.

"I do understand right now in my state of mind that shooting at the judiciary is not a proper form of political redress," Mack said.

It's a serious story, but I can't help but to roffle uncontrollably at the statement in bold!

-b0b
(...bahahaha!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #121 - Nov 7th, 2007 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
The latest political rumor to hit the net is that Hillary is a closet lesbian.  Supposedly, she's having a "relationship" with here political strategist Huma Abedin, who is from - get this - Kalamazoo.

Hillary is going to put us on the map!

Quote:
We’re still a bit incredulous on this one, but a top level U.S. Department of Justice official is telling Big Head DC that Michael Musto’s rumor about Hillary Clinton fooling around with one of her top female aides Huma Abedin is based in reality!
“I am close enough to Hillary and Huma to tell you that this ‘rumor’ is true,” the official says. “It is well known inside her campaign that Hillary and Huma are an item.
“If you call Hillary’s residence in DC first thing in the morning, Huma answers the phone,” the official continues. “Same thing late at night and on the road. It’s a closely guarded secret that Hillary’s inner circle guards at all costs.”
Make of that what you will, kids. But know this: The official is someone who has proven highly credible in the past.

As I recently said on MONICA CROWLEY’s radio show, whisper campaigns are claiming that HILLARY CLINTON is GAYLE KING–ing her aide de camp, the glamorous HUMA ABEDIN, an Indian/Pakistani goddess from Kalamazoo, Michigan. In other words, Hillary may be putting Huma out there in the press and purposely making her more visible as a pre-emptive strike that amounts to her hiding in plain sight. This way, no Republican can later say, “Who is this gorgeous babe who spends so much intimate time with Hillary that the Observer called her Hill’s ‘body person’? Was GENNIFER FLOWERS’s book right about Hillary’s sexual taste?” And does either of this couple have the balls to bottom?

-b0b
(...eww.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #122 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I've come to the conclusion that God hates me.

Quote:
Mark Wahlberg IS Max Payne!

November 9, 2007
Source: Variety
by Alex Billington
Max Payne

This one came out of left field! Mark Wahlberg will star as Max Payne in a live-action adaptation of the video game to be directed by John Moore (Behind Enemy Lines, Flight of the Phoenix, and The Omen). The video game is a bestselling hit from Rockstar that first debuted in 2001 and followed up with a sequel, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, in 2003. The game is a third-person shooter noir crime thriller and is one of my all-time favorite games, so without a doubt I'm already looking forward to this.

Max Payne is a cop who is haunted by the tragic loss of his family and has little regard for rules as he investigates a series of mysterious murders. He finds himself up against an adversary bent on destroying Max and the streets he protects. The game used bullet-time as well as a noir and comic like feel to it, which will lend itself great to a film adaptation. The script was written by newcomer Beau Thorne. The film will go into production immediately after Wahlberg finishes The Lovely Bones with Peter Jackson, meaning yet another pre-strike movie.

Where I'm confused here is that Marky Mark has consistently stated that he won't join films that don't have incredible scripts. He won't even do a sequel to The Departed because he think it won't be as good as the first one! Yet he's joined this, with a director who has had consistent tentpole crap films? I'm confused, am I missing something here? As much as I really, really want this to be great, I just fear for the worst.

I can tell you the path to success with Max Payne is to base it very strictly off of the video game, almost like Zack Snyder and 300 (with its exact frame-to-frame comparisons from the source material). It really needs that Sin City visual style and Matrix flair for it to really succeed. Without it, I can tell you it's a guaranteed flop. And honestly, Moore is not the best guy for the job. Damn, why can't the good directors be available more often!

MARK F**KING WAHLBERG!!!  MARK F**KING WAHLBERG??? MARK F**KING WAHLBERG?!?!?!  I despise this "actor" more than anyone else.  I hope he falls down on two railroad spikes with his eyes and then a donkey comes along and takes a diaheria dump on his head.

I freaking love Max Payne and I must see the movie...even with Mark F**KING Wahlberg is in it.

In conclusion...God hates me so much.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #123 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
You guys are all jealous of my l33t Max Payne mouse pad.

It could be worse.  Uwe Boll could be directing it.

-b0b
(...roffles at Marky Mark.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #124 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?
Bruce Schneier Email 11.15.07 | 12:00 AM

Random numbers are critical for cryptography: for encryption keys, random authentication challenges, initialization vectors, nonces, key-agreement schemes, generating prime numbers and so on. Break the random-number generator, and most of the time you break the entire security system. Which is why you should worry about a new random-number standard that includes an algorithm that is slow, badly designed and just might contain a backdoor for the National Security Agency.

Generating random numbers isn't easy, and researchers have discovered lots of problems and attacks over the years. A recent paper found a flaw in the Windows 2000 random-number generator. Another paper found flaws in the Linux random-number generator. Back in 1996, an early version of SSL was broken because of flaws in its random-number generator. With John Kelsey and Niels Ferguson in 1999, I co-authored Yarrow, a random-number generator based on our own cryptanalysis work. I improved this design four years later -- and renamed it Fortuna -- in the book Practical Cryptography, which I co-authored with Ferguson.

The U.S. government released a new official standard for random-number generators this year, and it will likely be followed by software and hardware developers around the world. Called NIST Special Publication 800-90 (.pdf), the 130-page document contains four different approved techniques, called DRBGs, or "Deterministic Random Bit Generators." All four are based on existing cryptographic primitives. One is based on hash functions, one on HMAC, one on block ciphers and one on elliptic curves. It's smart cryptographic design to use only a few well-trusted cryptographic primitives, so building a random-number generator out of existing parts is a good thing.

But one of those generators -- the one based on elliptic curves -- is not like the others. Called Dual_EC_DRBG, not only is it a mouthful to say, it's also three orders of magnitude slower than its peers. It's in the standard only because it's been championed by the NSA, which first proposed it years ago in a related standardization project at the American National Standards Institute.

The NSA has always been intimately involved in U.S. cryptography standards -- it is, after all, expert in making and breaking secret codes. So the agency's participation in the NIST (the U.S. Commerce Department's National Institute of Standards and Technology) standard is not sinister in itself. It's only when you look under the hood at the NSA's contribution that questions arise.

Problems with Dual_EC_DRBG were first described in early 2006. The math is complicated, but the general point is that the random numbers it produces have a small bias. The problem isn't large enough to make the algorithm unusable -- and Appendix E of the NIST standard describes an optional work-around to avoid the issue -- but it's cause for concern. Cryptographers are a conservative bunch: We don't like to use algorithms that have even a whiff of a problem.

But today there's an even bigger stink brewing around Dual_EC_DRBG. In an informal presentation (.pdf) at the CRYPTO 2007 conference in August, Dan Shumow and Niels Ferguson showed that the algorithm contains a weakness that can only be described a backdoor.

This is how it works: There are a bunch of constants -- fixed numbers -- in the standard used to define the algorithm's elliptic curve. These constants are listed in Appendix A of the NIST publication, but nowhere is it explained where they came from.

What Shumow and Ferguson showed is that these numbers have a relationship with a second, secret set of numbers that can act as a kind of skeleton key. If you know the secret numbers, you can predict the output of the random-number generator after collecting just 32 bytes of its output. To put that in real terms, you only need to monitor one TLS internet encryption connection in order to crack the security of that protocol. If you know the secret numbers, you can completely break any instantiation of Dual_EC_DRBG.

The researchers don't know what the secret numbers are. But because of the way the algorithm works, the person who produced the constants might know; he had the mathematical opportunity to produce the constants and the secret numbers in tandem.

Of course, we have no way of knowing whether the NSA knows the secret numbers that break Dual_EC-DRBG. We have no way of knowing whether an NSA employee working on his own came up with the constants -- and has the secret numbers. We don't know if someone from NIST, or someone in the ANSI working group, has them. Maybe nobody does.

We don't know where the constants came from in the first place. We only know that whoever came up with them could have the key to this backdoor. And we know there's no way for NIST -- or anyone else -- to prove otherwise.

This is scary stuff indeed.

Even if no one knows the secret numbers, the fact that the backdoor is present makes Dual_EC_DRBG very fragile. If someone were to solve just one instance of the algorithm's elliptic-curve problem, he would effectively have the keys to the kingdom. He could then use it for whatever nefarious purpose he wanted. Or he could publish his result, and render every implementation of the random-number generator completely insecure.

It's possible to implement Dual_EC_DRBG in such a way as to protect it against this backdoor, by generating new constants with another secure random-number generator and then publishing the seed. This method is even in the NIST document, in Appendix A. But the procedure is optional, and my guess is that most implementations of the Dual_EC_DRBG won't bother.

If this story leaves you confused, join the club. I don't understand why the NSA was so insistent about including Dual_EC_DRBG in the standard. It makes no sense as a trap door: It's public, and rather obvious. It makes no sense from an engineering perspective: It's too slow for anyone to willingly use it. And it makes no sense from a backwards-compatibility perspective: Swapping one random-number generator for another is easy.

My recommendation, if you're in need of a random-number generator, is not to use Dual_EC_DRBG under any circumstances. If you have to use something in SP 800-90, use CTR_DRBG or Hash_DRBG.

In the meantime, both NIST and the NSA have some explaining to do.

I wonder if this is some kind of red herring to keep our attention off NSA's other cryptological exploits?  This is just too darned obvious for the NSA...

-b0b
(...or is that just what they want me to think?)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #125 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Why even have a back door when I learned from the bestest hacking movie of all time...Hackers...that the password is either Secret, Sex, or God.  So it's gotta be one of those.

X
(Maybe password as well)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #126 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
What about football?

-b0b
(...bahahaha!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #127 - Nov 15th, 2007 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
oh noes you haxed the gibson!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #128 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Dear God, they've hit us with a rabbit virus!

-b0b
(...it's replicating too fast!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #129 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 9:40am
Print Post  
On no....it's the cookie monster virus!

Just type cookie, nitwit!

X
(Mess with the best...die like the rest)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #130 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 10:30am
Print Post  
"Kid, don't threaten me.  There are worse things than death, and I can do all of them."

-b0b
(...hey, if it isn't leopard boy and the Decepticons!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #131 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I have to say my favorite line is when they're listing off the stats of Acid Burn's lapper and she brags about having a 26.6 modem!

Radical man!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #132 - Nov 16th, 2007 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Yeah, and 64MB of RAM!

-b0b
(...woohoo!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #133 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Quote:
Nvidia to launch GeForce 9 series in February

Monica Chen, Taipei; Emily Chuang, DIGITIMES [Friday 30 November 2007]

Nvidia is ready for its next-generation GPU launch. According to sources at graphics card makers, the company plans to launch its GeForce 9 series GPU after the Lunar New Year in February.

The first chip to rollout of in GeForce 9 family will be the D9E, a high-end product that adopts 65nm manufacturing. The new product will also support DirectX 10.1 and Shader Model 4.1, revealed the sources.

In addition to the D9E, Nvidia will roll out a mid-range GeForce 9 family product named D9P in June 2008. The new GPU will adopt 55nm processing, the sources pointed out.

Hopefully, the 9000 series cards will make DirectX 10 gaming possible.  With the 8000 series, even two 8800Ultra's in SLI are having trouble with many DirectX 10 implementations.

I want my realistic water and Shader Model 4.0!

-b0b
(...will take two, please!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #134 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Eh, kinda exciting...I guess.

So you have been waiting all this time on a graphics card that will give you realistic water?  The water in games now looks real enough for me.  I will be impressed when a graphics card is so realistic it creates water and throws it in your face.(or for somepeople gives them real bedsores from camping one spot for too long...)

...now THAT'S the future of gaming.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
Send TopicPrint