Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) HOLY CRAP! News Stories (Read 283687 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: HOLY CRAP! News Stories
Reply #135 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Check out the water comparisons in the screenshots at the bottom of this page:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQxMyw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Actually, that entire article is pretty decent.  It not only discusses the image quality improvements in DirectX 10 (in LOTR: Online anyway) but the massively negative impact DX10 has on system performance. 

DX10 has the same effect on computers that I have on Spanky's mom, it brings them to their knees!  ZING!

DX9 can create some pretty impressive water, but DX10 can really help integrate water with land, leading to a much more satisfying result.  I've attached a screenshot showing DX10 on the left and DX9 on the right.

If you could take the crazy transparencies in the DX10 screenshot and combine it with some decent Havok physics for liquids, you'd have a pretty darned cool toy!

-b0b
(...BAM!)

LOTRDX10.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #136 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
You sure both screenshots have all of the settings turned on?  That water looks a lot like the water in quake wars...when I have the option turned on.

Still, buy a 9000 series card just for pretty water?  What are you, an art major?

...dang

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #137 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
DX10 is a lot more than pretty water.  It includes better hooks for physics, more realistic smoke effects, much improved shadowing (also covered at the link I posted earlier), and vastly superior particle effects and interaction.  I've attached a screenshot of the DX10 particle effects when compared to DX9.  The difference is pretty amazing.

DirectX 10 will also bring some pretty interesting improvements to the sound arena once the major sound vendors get used to the OpenAL API.  Perhaps one of my biggest grips with Vista is the elimination of most aspects of DirectSound, leaving lots of old (and new) games sounding like crap with stereo sound.  Creative Labs seems to be making some strides in repairing that damage with ALchemy, but the verdict is still out on whether or not ALchemy is going to do the trick.

For what its worth, I'm not just a DX10 fanboy.  The last couple revisions of DirectX haven't really been all that breathtaking, but DX10 really has the potential to take gaming to the next level.  Not only will games look better than ever, but the improvements in sound and physics will make games far more immersive.  Imagine Half-Life 2's physics kicked up a notch!  I had more fun with the gravity gun than I did with the rest of the game combined, and I can't wait to see more innovation on that front.

I don't get to play games nearly as often as I would like to, but I really appreciate beautiful games.  If I'm playing a game that is truly engrossing and worthwhile, I want to play it with all of the settings cranked so I can view it the same way the creators did.  A person stricken with cataracts can't appreciate a Degas painting the same way a person with 20/20 vision can because they can't see it the same way the artist does.

Briney, what's your take on this?

On an off-topic note, just last night I started playing Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, and I can honestly say that it's one of the most beautiful and engaging games I've played since Riven.  Although its beauty is tied more to the artistic direction taken by the producers than the API its running on, I can only imagine what this game would look like if it was redone in DX10.  If you guys are looking for something completely off the path, this game is truly amazing.

-b0b
(...was all over the place in this post.)

DX10Particles.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #138 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Oh come on b0b, those smoke lines are great.  Without them how am I supposed to know where the bomb went off?

...to find where the camping llama is.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #139 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
That last screenshot was from BioShock, by the way.  Here's another example of DX10 pwnage from Call of Heroes.  For what its worth, Call of Heroes was originally a DX9.0c title.  Even though the game is over a year old, it just received a DX10 update via patch a couple months ago.

As you can see from the screenshot, the DX10 version has much more believable shadowing.  The grass is also incredible by comparison!

-b0b
(...attaches it.)

DX10CallHeroes.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #140 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Fine, you made your freaking point.  DX10 is semi cool.  Still, you going to vista to use it?

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #141 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Just because I'm bored, here's one more shot from Call of Heroes showing the difference in shadowing between DX9 and DX10.  If you look closely at the characters, you'll see they have two shadows in the DX10 version, one cast by the lamp and one cast by the moon.

Although the effect is very subtle in this particular screenshot, it gives an idea of just what DX10 can do.  Imagine the lighting on a tree.  Instead of the artists forcing a shadow to be created from one light source, the engine can dynamically create shadows for every single leaf from a near-infinite number of sources.  Moreover, it can layer those shadows dynamically over the top of bump-mapped textures, lending an incredible amount of realism on different types of surfaces.

In short, I want it.

-b0b
(...still thinks DX10 being Vista-only is a scam, though.)

DX10CallHeroes2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #142 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 3:28pm:
Fine, you made your freaking point.  DX10 is semi cool.  Still, you going to vista to use it?

No, I'm going to Vista because I need to learn Vista for the 2008 MCSE certifications.  Although most of the stuff changed between XP and Vista isn't the kind of stuff that's going to show up on an exam, I still need to familiarize myself with the new Group Policy management options and the network configuration changes.  The best way to do that is to actually use Vista.

That said, DirectX 10 is a great perk in the upgrade process.  I was on Windows 95 for three years, 98 for one year, 98SE for two years, and 2000 for 1 year.  It's been six years since I made the jump from 2000 to XP, which is by far the longest I've ever spent on a single platform. I'm ready to make the leap.

However, this is only the second time I've ever been hesitant about migrating to a new platform.  Millenium was the other, and I completely skipped that version and opted for 2000 Pro instead.  Hopefully my OS spidey sense will be wrong this time around.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #143 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 12:08am
Print Post  
ill have our programmer shader guy tell you why directx 10 isnt all its cracked up to be. However I think he will agree with you on the blending on planes so you dont see particles clipping through or harsher edges on water/land. Ill make a real post tomm, im tired. And yes, M$ sucks for trying to make people buy their piece o junk drm-infested bloated OS.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #144 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 12:55am
Print Post  
If you could get him on here, that'd be awesome.  I'm having a heck of a time finding any input from industry sources, so it'd be nice to hear what he has to say.

If you want, I can try to split the DX10 posts away from this thread into it's own thread.

-b0b
(...can't wait.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #145 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Donnie Register is a happily married man, who will likely always proudly display his wedding ring. Especially after what happened to him this weekend. The Jackson, Mississippi man was in his antique store on Saturday when two men walked in and asked to see a sample of his rare coin collection.

When Donnie took it out, one of the patrons pulled a gun and demanded Register's register be emptied. When the owner didn't move fast enough, the gunman opened fire, aiming at the businessman's head. In a reflex reaction, Register threw up his left hand - the one with his wedding ring on it.

In an incredible coincidence you wouldn't believe in a fictional script, the bullet hit the ring and deflected the projectile. He was hurt - but still very much alive. "The bullet managed to go through two of his fingers without severing the bone," wife Darlene Register explains. "A part of the bullet broke off and is in his middle finger. The other part is in his neck, lodged in the muscle tissue. But it's not life-threatening."

Cops are still looking for the culprits, who got away with a lot of cash. But the one thing they didn't manage to take was the most precious of all - Register's life.

So THAT'S why bob got married, to become the bulletproof monk.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #146 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Meh, I was already bullet proof.

-b0b
(...kiddies, don't try this at home!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #147 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...kiddies, don't try this at home!

What?  Get married?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #148 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Nah, I meant you shouldn't try to deflect bullets with wedding bands.  But hey, if that's all you've got, give it your best shot!

-b0b
(...prefers to deflect bullets with his aura of l33tness.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #149 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Maybe he tried to punch the bullet...or he thought he was Wonder Woman and deflected the bullet with his wrist bands!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
Send TopicPrint