Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) HOLY CRAP! News Stories (Read 283709 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: HOLY CRAP! News Stories
Reply #210 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Isn't he the guy that wrote the Thong Song?

Oh yes...I went there...all the way back to 2001

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #211 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Heh, I don't think he wrote the song.  I think that he just slapped his name on it.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #212 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
Oh dear God...

Why did you have to mention that awful piece of drivel?

-b0b
(...thinks a Trekkie reference to Benjamin Sisko would've been funnier.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #213 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 8:17am
Print Post  
Well before pat mentioned the song I read that as Crisco.

Why would bob be mad at crisco?

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #214 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Quote:
It may sound like a scene from the movie comedy Office Space, but authorities in New Jersey are not laughing.

Like one of the movie's characters--who erroneously receives paychecks--a Chicago-area man has allegedly been receiving nearly $100,000 a year for much of the past five years without actually showing up at the office or doing the job.

And that is what landed Anthony Armatys, 34, in jail about five years after he accepted a job at Avaya Communications, according to a report in the Daily Herald near Chicago. He accepted a job at Avaya in 2002, but backed out without starting the job, the paper reported. However, due to a system error, a paycheck was allegedly being deposited in to Armatys' bank account for the past five years--to the tune of about $470,000.

Holy crap!  Doing that actually works?!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #215 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
Rummy Resurfaces, Calls for U.S. Propaganda Agency (Updated)
By Sharon Weinberger EmailJanuary 23, 2008 | 4:11:26 PMCategories: Info War, Strategery 

Rumsfeld One of the many things I love about Donald Rumsfeld is that he's totally unrepentant. Back in 2001, the Pentagon under his leadership created the controversial Office of Strategic Influence, which was closed down just a few months later after its existence became public. Rightly or wrongly, the Pentagon was accused of creating a propaganda office. Now, the former defense secretary has a bigger vision: he is advocating a "21st century agency for global communications."

This was one of the major themes in one of Rumsfeld's first post-Pentagon public comments at a conference today on network centric warfare sponsored by the Institute for Defense and Government Advancement. According to Rumsfeld, the United States is losing the war of ideas in the Muslim world, and the answer to that, in part, is through the creation of this new government agency.

During the the Q&A after the speech, I asked Rumsfeld what this new agency might entail (he was pretty clear it wouldn't be a resurrected U.S. Information Agency, which was merged into State Department in 1999), and why, when there is an abundance of media available in the private sector, the government needs to get involved.

I'll just let Rumsfeld speak for himself:

Private media does not get up in the morning and say what can we do to promote the values and ideas that the free Western nations believe in? It gets up in the morning and says they're going to try to make money by selling whatever they sell... The way they decided to do that is to be dramatic and if it bleeds it leads is the common statement in the media today. They've got their job, and they have to do that, and that's what they do.

We need someone in the United States government, some entity, not like the old USIA . . . I think this agency, a new agency has to be something that would take advantage of the wonderful opportunities that exist today. There are multiple channels for information . . . The Internet is there, pods are there, talk radio is there, e-mails are there. There are all kinds of opportunities. We do not with any systematic organized way attempt to engage the battle of ideas and talk about the idea of beheading, and what it's about and what it means. And talk about the fact that people are killing more Muslims than they are non-Muslims, these extremists. They're doing it with suicide bombs and the like. We need to engage and not simply be passive and allow that battle of competition of ideas.

What would this agency actually do? Hard to say, but Rumsfeld referred approvingly back to when the Army paid reporters to plant stories in the local press in Iraq. He still thinks that was a good idea (and blames the U.S. press for screwing it up).

In Rumsfeld's view, the free press can co-exist with government sponsored/produced/paid news. "It doesn't mean we have to infringe on the role of the free press, they can go do what they do, and that's fine," says Rumsfeld. "Well, it's not fine, but it's what it is, let's put it that way."

UPDATE:  MountainRunner, IntelFusion, Spencer Ackerman, and the Washington Post's William Arkin all weigh in.  As does the New York Times' blog The Lede, which is kind enough to give us a high five.  For sheer comedy gold, though, Ackerman wins, hands down.

Wow...where's George Orwell when you need him to slap people upside the head.  I just hope Rumsfeld gets the same treatment he wants for us all...in this life or the next.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #216 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 10:11am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Jan 25th, 2008 at 9:16am:
Quote:
It may sound like a scene from the movie comedy Office Space, but authorities in New Jersey are not laughing.

Like one of the movie's characters--who erroneously receives paychecks--a Chicago-area man has allegedly been receiving nearly $100,000 a year for much of the past five years without actually showing up at the office or doing the job.

And that is what landed Anthony Armatys, 34, in jail about five years after he accepted a job at Avaya Communications, according to a report in the Daily Herald near Chicago. He accepted a job at Avaya in 2002, but backed out without starting the job, the paper reported. However, due to a system error, a paycheck was allegedly being deposited in to Armatys' bank account for the past five years--to the tune of about $470,000.

Holy crap!  Doing that actually works?!

Wow, that's too funny!  I wonder what he was charged with?

-b0b
(...thinks he should just stop going to work.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #217 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:27am
Print Post  
It's probably check fraud...since he knowingly cashed checks that weren't his.  However...if the payment was a bit smaller than 6 digits I could see the judge suspending the sentence and maybe forcing him to pay it back.    I'm sorry though...if you're company is moronic enough to not notice 500,000 dollars going out to someone who doesn't work there...it should be finders keepers statue.

X

IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #218 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Wouldn't they be technically his? They had his name on it..  If I accidently wrote a check to the wrong person and they cashed it, should I be able to demand my money back?

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #219 - Jan 25th, 2008 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
If it happened once sure...but when you receive a steady paycheck and you know you're not earning it through normal means...then it's check fraud.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #220 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Mother Defends Dog After Attack on Son

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A little Australian boy's face was horribly scarred by the family dog - but his mother vowed to keep the pet, blaming the attack on her son.

Two-year-old Noah Newbold is lucky to have the sight in his left eye after being mauled by his family's mastiff-staffordshire cross.

Deep cuts and scratches cover the left side of his face.

But, the toddler's mother, Alicia Cottier, said she was keeping the dog despite the attack because it had been provoked by her son pulling the dog's ears.

"People are telling me I should shoot the dog, and as much as I love my son to death, I believe Noah was annoying her. I love the dog and she's part of the family," Cottier said.

Noah is nursing a range of painful injuries after being bitten on Monday night at his home at Booral in the Hunter Valley.

Police attended the scene but said there no charges would be laid because the attack had occurred at the home of the dog's owner.

With a large cut on his eyelid, and puncture marks on his cheeks and chin, the toddler told The Daily Telegraph his pet dog "bited me."

As the child hugged and kissed the dog yesterday, Ms Cottier said the attack was not the dog's fault.

"It's not like the dog picked him up and shook him or anything, she just snapped at him for pulling on her ears," she said.

"She's a good dog, I've never had any problems with her before and I don't think it's her fault."

Young Noah agreed.

"I love Cassey," Noah said.

Paramedics who dressed the boy's wounds said he was lucky to escape with so few injuries, given his size compared with the dog.

Until Monday night, Cottier said Noah and Cassey played together like best friends.

But one too many tugs of the dog's ears, according to Cottier, was enough to set her off.

"Noah was lying all over her and he started pulling her ears. I told him not to or she'd get cranky," Cottier said.

But Noah persisted.

"Normally when she (Cassey) has had enough, she walks away from him but this time she snapped at him and she's bitten him on the face," Cottier said.

Noah was covered in blood and crying hysterically when Ms Cottier pulled him away from the dog and dialled triple-0.

"There was blood everywhere, and he was screaming," she said.

Ambulance officers from the Hunter Westpac Rescue Helicopter attended to Noah and deemed him "the luckiest boy alive".

Lower Hunter police inspector Glenn Blain said the dog's fate was in the hands of its owner.

"It happened at the house where the dog lives so no action will be taken," he said.

Wow, I think this woman might have just wrested the Mother of the Year title away from Britney Spears...

-b0b
(...nahhhh!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #221 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Well, not sure if you know this, but I was bitten by our dog two times when I was a little over 1 year old. (so I am told, I only have a very small scar)  The first time he bit my hand and didn't really do anything bad.  The next time his tooth went into my eyebrow almost hitting my eyeball.

I think dogs are great; and I will have one when I decide to get a house.  But once a dog starts biting kids they do keep doing it.  After the second time my dad did take the dog out to the forest and shoot it.  Not to sound too much like a filthy hippy but I was poking and pulling on the dog and I can see why he did that and I think killing him was a little extreme.

In the end I think it is time to get rid of it to a family without kids. 

But the real question here is why the hell does bob hate pets so much??(I can see hating cats, but dogs...come on)

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #222 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
Hey...if Old Yeller *sniff sniff* had to be put down before he bit anyone...*sniff sniff*....I think someone should take care of Cujo here...and maybe the mother.

X
(Feels sorry that the kid has to share THAT genetic code)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #223 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
I don't hate dogs.  I'm not a big fan of dogs, but I certainly don't hate them.

That being said, the first time any dog bites my child, I'm putting a bullet in its skull.  I'm not trying to sound like a hard ass, that's just the way it is.

-b0b
(...locks and loads.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #224 - Feb 4th, 2008 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Somebody just posted this spam mail over on AR15.com.  I have to admit, those crazy Nigerians are really getting crafty!

Quote:
Hello what ever you call your self

I am very sorry for you Xxxxxx, is a pity that this is how your life is going to end as soon as you don't comply. As you can see there is no need of introducing myself to you because I don't have any business with you, my duty as I am mailing you now is just to KILL you and I have to do it as I have already been paid for that.
Someone you call a friend wants you Dead by all means, and the person have spent a lot of money on this, the person also came to us and told me that he wanted you dead and he provided us with your name ,picture and other necessary information's we needed about you. So I sent my boys to track you down and they have carried out the necessary investigation needed for the operation on you, and they have done that but I told them not to kill you that I will like to contact you and see if your life is Important to you or not since their findings shows that you are innocent.
I called my client back and ask him of your email address which I didn't tell him what I wanted to do with it and he gave it to me and I am using it to contact you now. As I am writing to you now my men are monitoring you and they are telling me everything about you.
Now do you want to LIVE OR DIE? As someone has paid us to kill you. Get back to me now if you are ready to pay some fees to spare your life, $15,000 is all you need to spend You will first of all pay $8,000 then I will send a tape to you which i recoeded every discusion i hade with the person who wanted you dead and as soon as you get the tape, you will pay the remaining $7,000. If you are not ready for my help, then I will carry on with my job straight-up.
WARNING: DO NOT THINK OF CONTACTING THE POLICE OR EVEN TELLING ANYONE BECAUSE I WILL KNOW.REMEMBER, SOMEONE WHO KNOWS YOU VERY WELL WANT YOU DEAD! I WILL EXTEND IT TO YOUR FAMILY, INCASE I NOTICE SOMETHING FUNNY.
DO NOT COME OUT ONCE IT IS 7:PM UNTIL I MAKE OUT TIME TO SEE YOU AND GIVE YOU THE TAPE OF MY DISCUSSION WITH THE PERSON WHO WANT YOU DEAD THEN YOU CAN USE IT TO TAKE ANY LEGAL ACTION. GOOD LUCK AS I AWAIT YOUR REPLY rip092008@gmail.com

For some reason, I hope some crazy dictator like Kim Jong Il gets a copy of this, then firebombs the village these spammers live in.  Who is laughing now, huh?

-b0b
(...locks and loads.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23
Send TopicPrint