Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) HOLY CRAP! News Stories (Read 283700 times)
Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Re: HOLY CRAP! News Stories
Reply #90 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Oh, I'm a little behind.

Just saw the Steely McBeam post about the Stillerzzz new mascot.

Opinion:

most Steelers fans, including myself, absolutely hate it.

laaaaaame.

I said that they should just have a dancing PBR can as our mascot. Srsly.

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #91 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 1:17am
Print Post  
PBR should change their acronym to WTF, as in "WTF, who would drink that stuff?"

-b0b
(...rednecks, maybe.)

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #92 - Sep 23rd, 2007 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
true story. but if you think about Pgh, it's def a lot of rednecks that drink PBR.

I wouldn't know if it's a WTF kind of beer.

*cough* i'm only 20.

i never drink.

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #93 - Sep 27th, 2007 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Hmmm 3,000 American soliders dead, 10 trillion dollars spent, a complete section of the Middle East up in all out fighting....or $1 billion?  Hmmm...which would you have chosen?

Quote:
Bush thought Saddam was prepared to flee: report

By Jason Webb
Reuters
Wednesday, September 26, 2007; 12:07 PM

MADRID (Reuters) - Saddam Hussein was prepared to take $1 billion and go into exile before the Iraq war, according to a transcript of talks between U.S. President George W. Bush and an ally, Spanish newspaper El Pais reported on Wednesday.

During a meeting at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, on February 22, 2003, Bush told former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar that Saddam could also be assassinated, according to the transcript published in El Pais in Spanish.

Comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions. You are fully responsible for the content that you post.

In Washington, White House National Security Council spokesman Gordon Johndroe declined to comment on the report.

"The Egyptians are speaking to Saddam Hussein. It seems he's indicated he would be prepared to go into exile if he's allowed to take $1 billion and all the information he wants about weapons of mass destruction," Bush was quoted as saying at the meeting one month before the U.S.-led invasion.

Asked by Aznar whether Saddam could really leave, Bush replied: "Yes, that possibility exists. Or he might even be assassinated."

A spokesman for Aznar's private foundation had no comment on the transcript or its authenticity. El Pais, which was critical of the Iraq war and of Aznar's government, did not say how it obtained the transcript which it said was made by a Spanish diplomat who attended the meeting.

In it, Bush spoke openly about pressuring countries who were members of the United Nations Security Council at the time to support a resolution authorizing force, but that, whatever happened: "We'll be in Baghdad by the end of March."

"(Former Chilean President Ricardo) Lagos should know that the Free Trade Agreement with Chile still has to be approved by the Senate, and that a negative attitude on this could endanger its approval," he said, adding aid to Angola also depended on U.N. support.

"And (Russian President Vladimir) Putin should know that his attitude is endangering Russia's relations with the United States," he was quoted as saying.

BAD COP

"For my part, I'll try as of now to use the most subtle rhetoric possible, while we try to get the resolution approved."

Bush was dismissive about former French President Jacques Chirac, who he said "thinks he's Mr. Arab" and described the United States as playing a game of "good cop, bad cop" with former British Prime Minister Tony Blair.

"I don't mind being the bad cop if Blair is the good cop," Bush said.

The U.S. president referred optimistically to the reconstruction of Iraq which he thought "could be organized into a federation."

In case the war endangered energy supplies, "the Saudis would help us and put all the oil necessary into the market," said Bush, who considered Europeans to be complacent about Saddam.

"Maybe it's because he's dark-skinned, far away and Muslim, lots of Europeans think everything's okay with him," he said.

"Saddam Hussein won't change and he'll keep on playing games. The time has come to get rid of him. That's the way it is," Bush said.

In March 2003, days before the war, the United Arab Emirates proposed to a summit of Arab leaders that Saddam and his top aides should step down and go into exile. It was the first time an Arab state had made an official call of this kind.

In a communique issued after the summit in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, Arab leaders said they opposed any attack on Iraq and made no reference to the UAE's proposal.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #94 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Quote:
10-year-old gives birth
28 September 2007

BRUSSELS – A ten-year-old girl from Charleroi gave birth to a baby last year. The father was 13.

"The pregnancy was a big surprise to the girl and her mother," says doctor Robert Chef from Charleroi. "The child came to me with unexplained abdominal pain. She had also put on weight. Her mother had even put her on a diet for a while but that had little effect. When we examined her it turned out she was nine months pregnant. The child was carrying a full term baby."

What surprised the doctor the most was that the 10-year-old really looked her age. "Some girls look like a teenager of 15 or 16 at that age. But not this girl."

Still the delivery went smoothly. The young mother was given special treatment however. She was not admitted to the regular maternity ward lest this raise too many curious questions. She was given a bed in the children's ward.

"The father of the baby came to visit her there as well. Many pregnancies in young girls are the result of incest. But that was not at all the case here. The father was a schoolmate of 13. A young guy as well."

Robert Chef says the parents of the girl did not respond angrily. "The grandmother immediately took charge of the baby. She said she would raise it as her own child."

Yesterday the medical weekly De Huisarts reported that 57 Belgian 10-year-olds had been prescribed a birth control pill last year. Some for medical reasons, but others for actual birth control.

http://www.expatica.com/actual/article.asp?subchannel_id=24&story_id=44380

I was thinking about starting a new thread called "WTF is Wrong With People News Stories".  I can't imagine how f'ed up those kids have to be.

-b0b
(...has nothing to say.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #95 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
Quote:
The Khorramshar News Agency, which is published by the ethnic Arab underground of Iran’s oil-rich Khuzestan, reported early Oct. 1 that the entire staff of Russian nuclear engineers and experts employed in building the nuclear reactor at Bushehr had abruptly packed their bags Friday, Sept. 28, and flew back to Russia. The agency’s one-liner offers no source or explanation. DEBKAfile have obtained no corroboration of its report from any other source.

The story appears to have originated with the ethnic Arabs who live near the reactor or who come in contact with its Russian staff. If true, DEBKAfile can offer three hypothetical scenarios to account for the Russians’ precipitate departure:

1. Another crisis has cropped up in the patchy Russian-Iranian dealings over the Bushehr reactor. This is unlikely because Russian president Vladimir Putin is due for a high-profile visit to Tehran on Oct. 16, when he plans to sign a series of nuclear accords with the Islamic Republic. Furthermore, Moscow, like Beijing, stands foursquare behind Iran’s efforts to delay harsher sanctions for its continued uranium enrichment. Only this week, the two powers gained Iran two to three months’ grace by forcing a delay in the UN Security Council session that was to have approved a third round of sanctions.

2. Moscow or Tehran has been tipped off that a US or Israeli attack is imminent on the Bushehr plant and Iran’s other nuclear installations and acted to whip Russian personnel out of harm’s way.

3. Moscow has learned that an Iranian preemptive attack is imminent against American targets in Iraq and the Persian Gulf and/or Israel.

Aside from these hypothetical scenarios, DEBKAfile’s Iranian sources report that the Khorramshar News Agency keeps its ear to the ground on happenings in Bushehr, because it is claimed by Khuzistan separatists as Arab land which they will fight to liberate from Iranian “occupation.”

This article is practically guaranteed to get Stewie shaking with conspiratorial ecstasy.

-b0b
(...grins.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #96 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
This is just making me foam at the mouth...this on the coat tails that Russia has been pulling out scientists since the end of the month:

Quote:
Iranian and Israeli news outlets are reporting that Russia has evacuated its entire staff of nuclear engineers and experts who were working at the Bushehr nuclear reactor, increasing speculation that the United States is preparing an imminent military attack on Iran.

All we need now is ANY form of terrorist attack here and Cheny's plans to invade Iran without any proof will come to fruition.

Also in the news in that the D.C. area will be holding the largest "fake" terrorist attack coming up; running 3 different drills.

Motive, opportunity, and means...good luck everyone.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #97 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Quote:
Suspected Gunman Killed After Shooting 6 in Forest County

CRANDON, Wis. (AP) -- The residents Tyler Peterson was hired to protect and serve can't understand how the 20-year-old who shot six of their young people and critically injured another could have passed a background check to become a sheriff's deputy.

Peterson was shot to death after opening fire early Sunday on a group of young people -- mostly teens -- who had gathered for pizza and movies on their high school's homecoming weekend. Peterson was off-duty from his full-time job as a Forest County deputy sheriff; he also was a part-time Crandon police officer.

David Franz, 36, who lives with his wife two houses from the duplex where the shooting occurred, said it was hard to accept that someone in law enforcement was the gunman.

"The first statement we said to each other was, how did he get through the system?" Franz said. "How do they know somebody's background, especially that young? It is disturbing, to say the least."

Sheriff Keith Van Cleve said he would meet with state Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen on Monday morning to discuss the case.

Crandon Police Chief John Dennee said the follow-up would be handled by the state Department of Criminal Investigation because the suspect was a deputy and officer.

Peterson was killed Sunday afternoon, eight miles north of Crandon in the rural town of Argonne in northern Wisconsin, Dennee said.

Crandon mayor Gary Bradley said Sunday that a sniper killed the suspect, but Van Cleve would not confirm that officers shot him.

The lone survivor of the shooting, a male, remained in critical condition Monday at St. Joseph's Hospital, according to nursing supervisor Penny Funk.

The gunman's motive was unclear, but the mother of a 14-year-old victim, Lindsey Stahl, said the suspect may have been a jealous boyfriend.

"I'm waiting for somebody to wake me up right now. This is a bad, bad dream," said Jenny Stahl. "All I heard it was a jealous boyfriend and he went berserk. He took them all out."

Dennee declined comment on whether Peterson had a romantic relationship with any of the victims.

The white, two-story duplex was about a block from downtown Crandon, a town of about 2,000 located 225 miles north of Milwaukee in an area known for logging and outdoor activities. The victims had gathered for what Dennee described as "a pizza and movie party."

Three of the victims were Crandon High School students, said school Superintendent Richard Peters, and the other three had graduated within the past three years.

"There is probably nobody in Crandon who is not affected by this," Peters said, adding that students "are going to wake up in shock and disbelief and a lot of pain."

Peters did not know whether Peterson had graduated from the 300-student school. But Crandon resident Karly Johnson, 16, said that she knew the gunman and that he had helped her in a tech education class.

"He graduated with my brother," she said. "He was nice. He was an average guy. Normal. You wouldn't think he could do that."

The Crandon School District called off classes Monday.

One victim, 20-year-old Bradley Schultz, was a third-year student at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee who was home to visit his friends, said his aunt, Sharon Pisarek.

"We still don't have many details, but from what they've told us, there was a girl next to him and he was covering her, protecting her," she said, sobbing. "He was loved by everybody. He was everybody's son. Senseless."

David Franz's wife, Marci, said she was awakened by the gunshots.

"I heard probably five or six shots, a short pause and then five or six more," she said. "I wasn't sure if it was gunfire initially. I thought some kids were messing around and hitting a nearby metal building."

Then she heard eight louder shots and tires squealing, she said.

"I was just about to get up and call it in, and I heard sirens," she said. "There's never been a tragedy like this here. There's been individual incidents, but nothing of this magnitude."

Cop on a rampage!  That's craziness.  I wonder what made him snap?

-b0b
(...wowza.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #98 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
This is what happens when you hire these types of people.  The people keep asking how he passed the background check.  Trust me, it's was harder for me to pass than these types of people.

For example:

When I smiled because the background investigator looked and saw that I didn't get into too much trouble, pretty much none at all.  She said it was a bit of a disadvantage because it made me kinda naive.  When I was doing my interview with the hostile panel they asked if I ever got into a fight before.  When I told them nothing serious like where I was punching back or not rough housing they told me they "didn't know if I would be good" because they do get into a lot of scuffs with people.  There were many things I find odd with how departments hire police.  Just look at how long it's taken me to get to this final stage in one job.  I have a four year degree with a good GPA, I've never got arrested or got into trouble, I've never done drugs or been violent.  All these things you would think you want in a cop.  However the requirements are at least a high school diploma, a little trouble seems to be ok, and it's ok if you done drugs before as long as you tell us and you stop it.

People wonder why cops break out like this...maybe it's the paramilitary training we give them when they first start out.

I've always said that the military is there to hunt and kill the enemy, the police are there to protect and serve the people.  When you tell the cops that the people are "citizens" and train them using military tactics I'm not too surprised with what I see cops doing.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #99 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 2:30pm:
People wonder why cops break out like this...maybe it's the paramilitary training we give them when they first start out.

I call bull.  Most cops don't get any "paramilitary training" to speak of, and what little of it I've seen as a casual observer is restricted to SWAT/SRT teams and their ilk.

Even if that officer had militaryesque training, I have no clue how that would cause a person to go on a homicidal rampage.  You could probably find a stronger correlation between violent video games and homicide (which we know is crap) than cop training and homicide.  I know plenty of non-cops that have gone through paramilitary training (Thunder Ranch, Front Sight, Gunsite, etc.) and so far, none of them have snapped and killed anybody.  I guarantee you that Thunder Ranch is far more hardcore than 99% of SWAT training programs.

-b0b
(...calls BS.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #100 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I call bull.  Most cops don't get any "paramilitary training" to speak of,

That's not true...MOST cops get paramilitary training.

Also I'm not saying PMT is the only cause I'm saying you combine that with the type of people who tend to be authoritative to the point of unstable and you have a bigger chance of someone going out with a bang.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #101 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
the police are there to protect and serve the people

Sorry stewie, I know you are a good person and all...but I stopped believing this a long time ago.  99% of people become cops solely for the power trip.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #102 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
I'm not saying that's what cops are I'm saying what they should be there for and what they were set up to do.  I would actually put your number at 70% maybe even 60% and I would also say there are a lot of people who get taken into the power trip with the "Us Vs. Them" mentality.  If police depts would try and find some way to measure how much empathy a person has and get those people to become cops...I would think you'd have better police officers.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #103 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Ut Oh Speggetti-Os

Quote:
Navy veteran questions why six nuclear missiles were flown on combat aircraft to staging area for Middle East
John Byrne
Published: Monday October 8, 2007

A retired lieutenant commander in the Navy Reserve who served with the Navy's Supervisor of Salvage questioned in a little-noticed editorial Sunday why six active nuclear armed cruise missiles were being transferred to an active bomber base that "just happens to be the staging area for Middle Eastern operations."

"The United States also does not transport nuclear weapons meant for elimination attached to their launch vehicles under the wings of a combat aircraft," Navy veteran Robert Stormer wrote in the Texas-based Star-Telegram. "The procedure is to separate the warhead from the missile, encase the warhead and transport it by military cargo aircraft to a repository -- not an operational bomber base that just happens to be the staging area for Middle Eastern operations."

Six nuclear W80 nuclear-armed cruise missiles were flown to Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota to Barksdale AFB in Louisiana where they sat for ten hours undetected.

"Press reports initially cited the Air Force mistake of flying nuclear weapons over the United States in violation of Air Force standing orders and international treaties, while completely missing the more important major issues, such as how six nuclear cruise missiles got loose to begin with," writes Stormer.

"Let me be very clear here: We are not talking about paintball cartridges or pellet gun ammo. We are talking nuclear weapons."

Stormer doesn't buy reports that the missiles were simply lost. The title of his piece is "Nuke transportation story has explosive implications."

"There is a strict chain of custody for all such weapons," he said. "Nuclear weapons handling is spelled out in great detail in Air Force regulations, to the credit of that service. Every person who orders the movement of these weapons, handles them, breaks seals or moves any nuclear weapon must sign off for tracking purposes."

"All security forces assigned are authorized "to use deadly force to protect the weapons from any threat. Nor does anyone quickly move a 1-ton cruise missile -- or forget about six of them, as reported by some news outlets, especially cruise missiles loaded with high explosives.

"This is about how six nuclear advanced cruise missiles got out of their bunkers and onto a combat aircraft without notice of the wing commander, squadron commander, munitions maintenance squadron (MMS), the B-52H's crew chief and command pilot and onto another Air Force base tarmac without notice of that air base's chain of command -- for 10 hours."

At the end of his editorial, he poses the following questions.

The questions that must be answered:

1 Why, and for what ostensible purpose, were these nuclear weapons taken to Barksdale?

2 How long was it before the error was discovered?

3 How many mistakes and errors were made, and how many needed to be made, for this to happen?

4 How many and which security protocols were overlooked?

5 How many and which safety procedures were bypassed or ignored?

6 How many other nuclear command and control non-observations of procedure have there been?

7 What is Congress going to do to better oversee U.S. nuclear command and control?

8 How does this incident relate to concern for reliability of control over nuclear weapons and nuclear materials in Russia, Pakistan and elsewhere?

9 Does the Bush administration, as some news reports suggest, have plans to attack Iran with nuclear weapons?

10 If this was an accident, have we degraded our military to a point where we are now making critical mistakes with our nuclear arsenal? If so, how do we correct this?

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #104 - Oct 10th, 2007 at 8:20am
Print Post  
come on, we can't even keep track of our money over in iraq, might as well "lose" a few nukes over there.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23
Send TopicPrint