Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 451091 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Geek News
Reply #330 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:49am
Print Post  
I finally got around to installing that copy of the Windows 8 preview I downloaded a couple of months ago.  I've been dreading it for awhile, and most of my suspicions were well-founded.  It appears the Windows 8 interface was designed exclusively with tablets in mind, which is fine... if you're working on a tablet.

As a desktop operating system, this interface absolutely sucks.  To log in, for instance, you need to "swipe" a wallpaper/clock image off the screen.  This is incredibly unintuitive with a mouse, as you have to click, hold, and "throw" the image off the screen.  I'm hoping Win8 will change before launch to automatically detect the kind of machine you're using during the installation phase and disable this touch-specific BS.

The Start menu has now been replaced by a god-awful thumbnail application that pops up on launch.  It covers the entire screen and, for a moment, I was wondering if the traditional Windows application bar and desktop had been removed entirely.  The traditional minimize/maximize/close buttons are pretty much gone, and I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to consistently minimize the Start application.  Once again, I'm sure it is completely intuitive on a tablet, but tablets are still a tiny percentage of the computing market.

I don't quite get the fish logo.  This replaces the colorful Windows logo that displays when the OS is started.  I'm sure this will change.

The OS installer is virtually identical to Windows 7.  Once the OS is loaded and started for the first time, you get this oddball app that walks you through configuration of the OS.

Perhaps the oddest change is the integration of the Microsoft Passport (or whatever they call it now) account system into the desktop authentication scheme.  You now use your central Microsoft account (TechNet, XBox Live, etc) to sign into your OS.

You also add your phone number to your Microsoft account for password resets.  I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

Here's the Start application I was complaining about.  Like everything else, it is built for a touch interface, so you have to drag your way around the application.

This is the image you see when you first boot the system.  You have to drag this screen away to get to the logon screen.  It's incredibly unintuitive with a mouse.

It seems like Windows 8 has tacked on another way to do just about everything.  The control panel is still available, but much of the functionality has been moved to this thing.  Notice there is no obvious way to minimize, maximize, or close this application.  You have to move your mouse down the lower right corner to get the prompt, and if you accidentally move your mouse outside of the menu, it disappears and you have to start over.

And finally, the desktop.  After some finagling, I've managed to get it semi-useful.  Notice the missing Start button, though.

At the end of the day, this reminds me of the annoying desktop management applications that many OEMs shipped on top of Windows 95.  The one I'm most familiar with is Acer Computer Explorer, or ACE.  When Windows launched, this application launched on top of the desktop and completely obscured the Start bar, desktop, etc.  It took up the full screen.  Many Acer owners never even knew this thing was itself an application and not the OS.  In short, it was crap.

-b0b
(...is definitely not a fan.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #331 - May 13th, 2012 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
George Lucas' rich neighbors don't want him building a movie studio in their backyard. His response is the best thing he's done in years.

The local homeowners association has been such a thorn in Lucas' side that he's decided to abandon the studio construction entirely, issuing this official statement about Lucasfilm's withdrawal of the new studio:

The level of bitterness and anger expressed by the homeowners in Lucas Valley has convinced us that, even if we were to spend more time and acquire the necessary approvals, we would not be able to maintain a constructive relationship with our neighbors.

So what is George Lucas going to do with his property now that he's tired of his rich neighbors putting up a not-in-my-backyard stink? He wants to transform the property into low-income housing, naturally, ending their official statement with this zinger, "If everyone feels that housing is less impactful on the land, then we are hoping that people who need it the most will benefit."

More here:  http://www.movies.com/movie-news/george-lucas-grady-ranch/7883

This is the best thing I've read in ages.  It's about time Lucas did something that didn't make me want to kick a baby.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #332 - May 25th, 2012 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
Happy 35th birthday, Star Wars!

-b0b
(...may the force be with you!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #333 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Quote:
The IPv6 launch has expanded the number of Internet addresses to 340 undecillion.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) –– One of the crucial mechanisms powering the Internet got a giant, years-in-the-making overhaul on Wednesday.

When we say "giant," we're not kidding. Silly-sounding huge number alert: The Internet's address book grew from "just" 4.3 billion unique addresses to 340 undecillion (that's 340 trillion trillion trillion). That's a growth factor of 79 octillion (billion billion billion).

If it all goes right, you won't notice a thing. And that's the point.

Happy IPv6 launch day, everybody!  I hope your day is fast and error free!

-b0b
(...will be busy for a couple days.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #334 - Jun 6th, 2012 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I just heard that Ray Bradbury passed away.  I enjoyed reading several of his books back in the day.  God speed, Mr. Bradbury!

-b0b
(...perhaps he'll get a nice Martian flyby.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #335 - Jun 7th, 2012 at 6:09am
Print Post  
I ended up sending him something to sign and he wrote me back with my item signed (cover of Fahrenheit 451) along with a few personalized notes.  It was pretty sweet.  he has horrible handwriting though.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #336 - Jun 8th, 2012 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Lots of reports of explosions, ground shaking, and high radiation in northern Indiana and southwest Michigan lately.  Here's a WWMT report from last week...

And here's a report of the radiation yesterday...

-b0b
(...conspiracy!)

IP Logged

pezmasterelite
GeekCrew n00b

The Geek Crew

Reply #337 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Interesting... I have heard an increasing number of fireworks lately, but that seems to be BS from the reporter. 

As for the radiation, should I be wearing a hazmat suit?  How do you see these as being related?  Where was the radiation for the 9 days between the events?

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #338 - Jun 14th, 2012 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
A very bold web retailer has added a 6.8% tax for users still utilizing Internet Explorer 7.  It's not very smart from a business standpoint, but I have to give them props.

More here:  http://hardocp.com/news/2012/06/14/online_retailer_charges_68_internet_explorer_...

-b0b
(...too bad Opera is a recommended "upgrade.")

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #339 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Sally Ride passed away today.  Ms. Ride was the first American woman in space.

-b0b
(...ride, Sally, ride!)
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:25am by b0b »  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #340 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Peter Jackson announces a third 'Hobbit' film
by Josh Rottenberg

Apparently, when it comes to Middle-earth, director Peter Jackson thinks three is the magic number. Last month at Comic-Con, Jackson teased fans with the idea that he was interested in pushing beyond his planned two-film adaptation of The Hobbit. Today, after weeks of intensive talks with Warner Bros. over how exactly that might be achieved, Jackson announced on his Facebook page that he is, in fact, going to turn The Hobbit into a trilogy.

More here:  http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/30/peter-jackson-third-hobbit-film/

Only Peter Jackson could turn The Hobbit into three movies.  The Lord of the Rings is about 1,200 pages in total, so roughly 400 pages per movie.  The Hobbit is approximately 300 pages long, or 100 pages per movie.

-b0b
(...lulz.)
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2012 at 6:32pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #341 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
From what I've heard, he didn't want to do three, but only two movies, but the studio kind of forced him into it.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #342 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Windows 8 launches on October 16th, and reviews of the last release candidate make it sound as ridiculously unusable as it was when I tested it in May (screenshots a few posts back).  It sounds like a horrendous marketing flop in the making.  Hopefully, Ballmer will get his act together and nix this release before it hits shelves.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/why-i-m-uninstalling-windows-8

-b0b
(...wow.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #343 - Aug 22nd, 2012 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
From what I've been reading I think I'll stick to my current platform until Windows 9 =p

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #344 - Nov 26th, 2012 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
It looks like I'll have to switch back to AMD in a couple years.  Speculation has it that Intel's next chip, Haswell, will be the last chip that has a ZIF socket design.  In other words, everything after that won't be removable and will be permanently soldered to the motherboard.  Long story short, the build-it-yourself market is going to disappear (or, more likely, shift to AMD) because your motherboard and CPU are going to be a single piece of hardware.

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/26/intel-kills-off-the-desktop-pcs-go-with-it/

-b0b
(...LAME.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35
Send TopicPrint