Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 450369 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Geek News
Reply #360 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 1:11am
Print Post  
GENTLEMEN!!!...I GIVE YOU....

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #361 - Mar 26th, 2013 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
I was considering posting the Ender's Game poster, but I've convinced myself that movie is going to suck.  I just can't see Ender's Game being brought to the big screen in any way that isn't going to suck.

Here's a poster for another movie I'm pretty geeked about:

-b0b
(...giant mecha battles FTW!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #362 - Mar 30th, 2013 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/03/26/independence-day-sequel/

Quote:
It’s been almost almost 17 years since aliens destroyed the White House and the Empire State Building in Roland Emmerich’s 1996 blockbuster Independence Day. But the world’s monuments aren’t safe yet. Emmerich, whose action-packed White House Down hits theaters June 28, says he plans to wreak a new round of havoc in two sequels – ID Forever Part 1 and ID Forever Part II. The films take place 20 years after the original, when a distress call sent by the first wave of aliens finally brings reinforcements to Earth. ”The humans knew that one day the aliens would come back,” explains the director, who completed two scripts with Independence Day co-writer Dean Devlin and has given them to White House Down writer-producer James Vanderbilt for a rewrite. ”And they know that the only way you can really travel in space is through wormholes. So for the aliens, it could take two or three weeks, but for us that’s 20 or 25 years.”

and X never believed me...

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #363 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:

To be fair...he's been telling me about this since 8th grade.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #364 - Mar 31st, 2013 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Mar 31st, 2013 at 5:48pm:
Quote:

To be fair...he's been telling me about this since 8th grade.

X

How long have we been bugging Briney about Battlefield Earth?

-b0b
(...thinks we should be pretty close!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #365 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 7:36am
Print Post  
That'd be 11th grade.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #366 - Apr 1st, 2013 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Well, 2016 it is.  I'll buy the popcorn.

-b0b
(...BFE FTW!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #367 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 5:21am
Print Post  
This guy reach in my brain and done saided what I thinks-ed!

http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/ron-moore-tv-star-trek-movie-star-trek.ht...

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #368 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 9:16am
Print Post  
While I agree that I love the old Star Trek shows, I really don't understand your hatred of the new movies Patsy lol.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #369 - Apr 5th, 2013 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Agreed.  The new movie was entertaining, and guess what - that's why I drop $10 on a movie ticket!

I do agree with the gist of the post, though.  Star Trek: TNG is rarely remembered or loved because of the intense action scenes and graphical hoo-haw.  It's remembered fondly because of the character development, dramatic and developing storylines, etc.  These are not concepts that translate well into a two-hour feature.

-b0b
(...bam!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #370 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 9:02am
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on Apr 5th, 2013 at 9:16am:
I really don't understand your hatred of the new movies Patsy lol.

Well there are several reasons. 

1) The first being is that the movie was marketed by the movie, the director, and writer as the beginning of the great friendship of Spock and Kirk in the Academy.  It did not do this.  Oh sure, they meet there and they interact in some bulls**t fashion.  But there isn't anything that shows me they are friends in the movie at all.

2) I can understand wanting to write with your own Star Trek universe and not have to be beholden to the original series but that means you can't steal from the universe you are destroying.  You have to use a character from the original universe, you also steal Spock from there, and you steal information that invalidates a major character (covered later).

3) Kirk is played for laughs.  You see everyone talk about his like he's this great leader and amazing guy.  Were we see this is a cutaway with the text that reads something like "7 years later" and we see Kirk promoted to a level that you'd never be able to attain with the way he acts.  He's a joke of what people have of Kirk (womanizer, brash, smarmy) and this is seen in the stupid scene where his face and hands react to what Bones is doing.  You see his trying to take over a star ship.  You see it in every scene he is in.

However, in the original series, Kirk was a dynamic leader who believed in the order of command and the ways of Starfleet.  He could be brash and not obey commands at times but those are very few and far between.  He demanded respect for himself and the chain of command because he gave it.  In the movie, he just does whatever he wants and people seem to just say "That's our Kirk.  Ha ha ha."  NO!  He would get kicked out the Academy for the way he acts.

3) All the other crew members fail to be as good as the original cast.  Spock no longer chooses between his human and Vulcan side but instead cries over and over again.  He is no longer a counteract to Bones (who was his opposite in my opinion - not Kirk).  U'hurah is regulated to Spock's sex object.  Heck, they even had to dumb her lines down because the actress can't remember and speak them.  Chekov is made into some prodigy and takes over parts of the ship that has crew specifically trained to run the machines.  Sulu is regulated to carrying a sword because of a throw back to one episode in the original series.  And Scotty...he's a screw up on an ice planet who's also thrown in for laughs.  Only Bones is remotely likable in this film - he retains the most of the original series.  And let's not forget the hero of the movie - Christopher Pike.  He's the one that really saves the day.  But he's also an idiot because after all the things Kirk has done, he puts Kirk in charge of a federation starship.  Why not Spock?  Because F SPOCK, that's why!  Out of anyone Spock should have been put in charge and Kirk should have been one to scrub the photon torpedo.

4) Let's deal with Scotty since I brought him up.  Scotty is the most useless character in the whole movie.  And I hate saying that.  Simon Pegg was a great choice for the role.  So what's the big deal with this?  Well he's completely devalued by Old Spock.  Hey Scotty, you revolutionize transport technology with information that human, Vulcan, Klingon, etc. haven't figured out yet.  And what does Old Spock do?  Just gives it to Kirk.  Thanks, Scotty.  You were real helpful.  Where everyone else gets to add to the plot or have at least a fight scene - you get to tell jokes.  Because that's what this movie is - a joke.  It has no love for the source material.  It wants to make its own while lambasting the material it is stealing from.

5) Vulcan is wiped out.  Well there goes the Federation's biggest alley.  It sets back all the things we learn about Vulcan culture and backstory (the Ka aka Vulcan soul transfer we learn about in Kahn and Enterprise).  Spock looses his mother which ties the real Spock to his humanity in the original series.  And 10,000 Vulcans live - somehow (emergency beam out - because all planets have that situation planned for).

6) Spock.  Bye bye everything that made Spock cool.  In this universe, he doesn't choose his Vulcan side as his dominant side (as seen beautifully done in the Animated Series).  We see him cry and act on instinct and throw hissy fits.  We see him be petty and act stupidly.  You do not get to see the cold Vulcan reasoning.  This is seen in two main places.  The trail of Kirk when he cheats and when he's struggling for control of the bridge from Kirk.  Cry cry cry.  That's all he does.  Oh, let's make out with U'hurah because that's all she's good for - to support her man.

7) Nero.  What's Nero's plan?  Well he wants to go back in time to save his little girl.  Ok, that's pretty cool.  What does he do instead?  Opens a portal to a parallel universe where he attacks a federation starship randomly instead of heading to Romulus and try and help save his planet.  But then he had to take out Old Spock.  Ok, I get that - esp. with the "oh so subtle" name of Nero.  But then he hangs around this universe for 20ish years and attacks Vulcan.  Why doesn't this make any sense.  BECAUSE THIS IS A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE!  This isn't the Vulcan he's blaming for not helping his girl.  This is Earth 2 or Earth Prime or Earth 223 is DC comics.  This would be like me going to another universe and killing Hitler and expecting to help my universe with his death.  Nope, different one, moron.

Ok, I think I can stop at 7.  But there is so many more reasons and I didn't even go into the cinematography or direction or acting.  In fact, Old Spock is the only good thing I can think of about this movie.  The talk he's giving to new Kirk about him being old and not having control of his feelings.  And talking about the death of his friend, Kirk.  It was very touching.  But then, he's just out of the picture because JJ Abrams is done with his carcass.

Ok...ok...I'm done...for now.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #371 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Apr 7th, 2013 at 9:02am:
1) The first being is that the movie was marketed by the movie, the director, and writer as the beginning of the great friendship of Spock and Kirk in the Academy.  It did not do this.  Oh sure, they meet there and they interact in some bulls**t fashion.  But there isn't anything that shows me they are friends in the movie at all.

Keep in mind this is a two hour action-oriented movie, not a multi-season dramatic TV show.  I personally wasn't interested in watching a soap opera, so I'm glad the story moved at a brisk pace.  You simply aren't going to stuff that much character development into an action movie.  Besides, this is a well-known and well-loved property, so it is hard to blame the writers for not wasting an hour going into great depths on the interaction between Spock and Kirk.

2) I can understand wanting to write with your own Star Trek universe and not have to be beholden to the original series but that means you can't steal from the universe you are destroying.  You have to use a character from the original universe, you also steal Spock from there, and you steal information that invalidates a major character (covered later).

I disagree.  The whole purpose of writing an alternate storyline is to allow you to borrow the elements you want from the original storyline (e.g. the universe, the characters, etc) while taking the plot in a new direction that isn't wholly compatible with the original storyline.  This is quite common in Japanese dramatic media, perhaps less so in American media.

3) Kirk is played for laughs.  You see everyone talk about his like he's this great leader and amazing guy.  Were we see this is a cutaway with the text that reads something like "7 years later" and we see Kirk promoted to a level that you'd never be able to attain with the way he acts.  He's a joke of what people have of Kirk (womanizer, brash, smarmy) and this is seen in the stupid scene where his face and hands react to what Bones is doing.  You see his trying to take over a star ship.  You see it in every scene he is in.

I'll agree with this to a point.  The idea that Kirk would be given command of the brand-spankin'-new flagship of the fleet following his activities in the Academy borders on absurd.  That said, I again stress the limitations of a two-hour action movie.  Honestly, I thought Kirk's character was very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed his antics.  I don't think a super-serious Kirk would have worked in this movie's paradigm at all.

Personally, if this were my movie, I would have rewritten the end of the Academy bit altogether.  I think the writers might have missed the entire point of Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru.  Instead of a court martial, I think I would have had Kirk dressed down by an instructor, then immediately applauded by the same instructor for thinking outside the box.  If you recall, in Wrath of Kahn, Kirk mentioned he received a commendation for "original thinking" for hacking the Kobayashi Maru.

However, in the original series, Kirk was a dynamic leader who believed in the order of command and the ways of Starfleet.  He could be brash and not obey commands at times but those are very few and far between.  He demanded respect for himself and the chain of command because he gave it.  In the movie, he just does whatever he wants and people seem to just say "That's our Kirk.  Ha ha ha."  NO!  He would get kicked out the Academy for the way he acts.

Somehow, I think you and I watched a totally different original series.  Kirk was a brash womanizer and he repeatedly jeopardized himself, his ship, his crew and the Prime Directive for the sake of an interesting episode.  This isn't TNG we're talking about here.

3) All the other crew members fail to be as good as the original cast.  Spock no longer chooses between his human and Vulcan side but instead cries over and over again.  He is no longer a counteract to Bones (who was his opposite in my opinion - not Kirk).  U'hurah is regulated to Spock's sex object.  Heck, they even had to dumb her lines down because the actress can't remember and speak them.  Chekov is made into some prodigy and takes over parts of the ship that has crew specifically trained to run the machines.  Sulu is regulated to carrying a sword because of a throw back to one episode in the original series.  And Scotty...he's a screw up on an ice planet who's also thrown in for laughs.  Only Bones is remotely likable in this film - he retains the most of the original series.  And let's not forget the hero of the movie - Christopher Pike.  He's the one that really saves the day.  But he's also an idiot because after all the things Kirk has done, he puts Kirk in charge of a federation starship.  Why not Spock?  Because F SPOCK, that's why!  Out of anyone Spock should have been put in charge and Kirk should have been one to scrub the photon torpedo.

I'll give you some leeway with Uhura.  I understand the need for a sex object to get box office sales, but Uhura was incredibly marginalized as little more than eye candy.  This is a particularly egregious failure considering the ground broken by Nichelle Nichols in the original series.

I must totally disagree with your take on Spock, though.  The entire movie dealt with his struggle between his human and Vulcan lineage.  I felt the movie was very much a "coming of age" for Spock and I think it added a much-needed dose of character development to the film.  I fully expect to see a much more Spock-like Spock in the next movie.  Personally, I thought the admission of Sarek about his love for Amanda Grayson and the tragedy of her loss was particularly moving.  Hell, I thought it was one of the finest moments in the entire film!

I think Scotty and Bones were brilliantly cast.  I never would've thought of putting Simon Pegg in Scotty's role, but it was a fantastic decision.  I think his personality fits the role perfectly.  As you said, Bones was a perfect copy of his TOS counterpart, and that one really fit well into the new dynamic.

I enjoyed Chekov's lines and I think the part was cast well, but admittedly he was a bit of a "fixture" character that seemed to exist solely because he had to.

4) Let's deal with Scotty since I brought him up.  Scotty is the most useless character in the whole movie.  And I hate saying that.  Simon Pegg was a great choice for the role.  So what's the big deal with this?  Well he's completely devalued by Old Spock.  Hey Scotty, you revolutionize transport technology with information that human, Vulcan, Klingon, etc. haven't figured out yet.  And what does Old Spock do?  Just gives it to Kirk.  Thanks, Scotty.  You were real helpful.  Where everyone else gets to add to the plot or have at least a fight scene - you get to tell jokes.  Because that's what this movie is - a joke.  It has no love for the source material.  It wants to make its own while lambasting the material it is stealing from.

Again, we're talking about a plot device in a two-hour action movie.  It's not the choice I would have made, but then again, I've never written a movie that grossed $385 million at the box office.  I think the writers made it clear this was only one of a large number of discoveries Scotty would make, and he would have eventually made it anyway, so I don't think Scotty was devalued much by the revelation of the transporter technology by Spock.  Besides, there are plenty of way to play this into Scotty's favor moving forward, as he can now spend the time that was devoted to this invention to other discoveries.

5) Vulcan is wiped out.  Well there goes the Federation's biggest alley.  It sets back all the things we learn about Vulcan culture and backstory (the Ka aka Vulcan soul transfer we learn about in Kahn and Enterprise).  Spock looses his mother which ties the real Spock to his humanity in the original series.  And 10,000 Vulcans live - somehow (emergency beam out - because all planets have that situation planned for).

This is easily the most controversial decision in the film, but I think my biggest problem with it is the nearly complete genocide of the Vulcan race.  The Vulcans have had warp technology since at least 900 B.C., so I find it hard to believe that virtually their entire population was on Vulcan.  In 3,000 years, you'd think they'd have spread out to quite a few other planets of their own, not to mention the substantial populations that would live on planets owned by other intelligent species.  They are natural diplomats, after all.  Hell, there should be a few million of them on starships alone!

Even the 10,000 that escaped Vulcan seems really low.  Nero didn't destroy the planet instantaneously, so why wasn't there a larger population that was able to escape?  Why wasn't Nero every confronted by some sort of military/police response from the planet?  Again, these guys have been capable of interstellar travel for 3,000 years, so I fail to believe they would have much trouble dealing with one crufty old mining ship, even if it is full of special "black hole juice".

6) Spock.  Bye bye everything that made Spock cool.  In this universe, he doesn't choose his Vulcan side as his dominant side (as seen beautifully done in the Animated Series).  We see him cry and act on instinct and throw hissy fits.  We see him be petty and act stupidly.  You do not get to see the cold Vulcan reasoning.  This is seen in two main places.  The trail of Kirk when he cheats and when he's struggling for control of the bridge from Kirk.  Cry cry cry.  That's all he does.  Oh, let's make out with U'hurah because that's all she's good for - to support her man.

I covered this earlier, but again, I disagree completely with your take on Spock.  It's obvious he's struggling with the dichotomy of his human and Vulcan sides.  Personally, I'm glad the writers included this bit because it really fleshes out Spock as a character.  Again, his discussion with Sarek toward the end of the movie is a brilliant piece of dialogue.  It shows the audience that Spock isn't some kind of automaton that is incapable of emotion, and it really demonstrates the immensity of the statement that Vulcans can feel emotions at a much deeper level than their human counterparts.

So, yeah, when Spock is faced with an emotional dilemma in the future, I think we'll see him handle it seemingly effortlessly, but we'll be aware that deep inside he's facing turmoil far greater than his counterparts can even imagine.  That is good writing.

7) Nero.  What's Nero's plan?  Well he wants to go back in time to save his little girl.  Ok, that's pretty cool.  What does he do instead?  Opens a portal to a parallel universe where he attacks a federation starship randomly instead of heading to Romulus and try and help save his planet.  But then he had to take out Old Spock.  Ok, I get that - esp. with the "oh so subtle" name of Nero.  But then he hangs around this universe for 20ish years and attacks Vulcan.  Why doesn't this make any sense.  BECAUSE THIS IS A DIFFERENT UNIVERSE!  This isn't the Vulcan he's blaming for not helping his girl.  This is Earth 2 or Earth Prime or Earth 223 is DC comics.  This would be like me going to another universe and killing Hitler and expecting to help my universe with his death.  Nope, different one, moron.

I see we've already invoked Godwin's law.  ;p 

So if you wound up in a different universe, you wouldn't kill Hitler?  Sure, it's not going to change things in the universe you came from, but you can't change things there, so why not do what you can here?

I think Nero's basic premise was understandable.  His little girl and his entire planet died and he believed the Vulcan's were responsible for it.  Why wouldn't he want to exact vengeance upon them?  If anything, I think the biggest complaint that could be levied against this part of the storyline is that it's ridiculously cliché.  Seriously, this is a plot that is older than dirt.

-b0b
(...spent way too long on this.  Wink

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #372 - Apr 7th, 2013 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
As far as your comments go on the Vulcans go bob....

In Enterprise you learn that the Vulcan's find space exploration and colonization an irrational past time.  They think species should focus on their own planet and surroundings.  During the Enterprise time line, the Vulcan's have barely explored any space at all.  So it doesn't surprise me that they haven't spread out all over the galaxy. 10,000 still seems low.

As far as their patrol ships.  At this point in the timeline Vulcan is a full fledged member of the Federation, and as such most of their ships would be part of Starfleet, which we see get basically annihilated in the movie during the Enterprises initial outting. So perhaps they didn't have any ships capable of messing with Nero's super advanced bad ass ship?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #373 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
Keep in mind this is a two hour action-oriented movie, not a multi-season dramatic TV show.  I personally wasn't interested in watching a soap opera, so I'm glad the story moved at a brisk pace.  You simply aren't going to stuff that much character development into an action movie.  Besides, this is a well-known and well-loved property, so it is hard to blame the writers for not wasting an hour going into great depths on the interaction between Spock and Kirk.

I agree with the "it's only 2 hours" statement.  However, you are asking everyone to completely forget about the universe JJ is stealing from and to just accept his changes.  I think the movie would have greatly benefited from building the story around Kirk/Spock.  Make us love them.  Make us see them become friends and trust each other and learn from each other.  What did we see?  Them HATING each other and then just tolerating each other because Pike said so.

Quote:
I disagree.  The whole purpose of writing an alternate storyline is to allow you to borrow the elements you want from the original storyline (e.g. the universe, the characters, etc) while taking the plot in a new direction that isn't wholly compatible with the original storyline.  This is quite common in Japanese dramatic media, perhaps less so in American media.

And last time I checked, this is 'Merica!  This wasn't just borrowing the elements from Trek.  This was raping the entire universe we knew for what JJ wanted.  It reminded me of the South Park with Lucas/Spielberg raping Indiana Jones (and I tend to give Indy 4 a lot of breaks others don't).  This is the same thing the Star Wars prequels did.  Nope, it's not the Force that flows through us and surrounds us.  It's mediclorians.  Storm Troopers are all clone that the creator just forgot about.  Darth Vader was a whinny kid inside a black tin can who didn't like sand.  I don't like this new Star Trek for the same reasons the Star Wars prequels failed (and almost for the same reasons).

Quote:
Honestly, I thought Kirk's character was very well written and I thoroughly enjoyed his antics.  I don't think a super-serious Kirk would have worked in this movie's paradigm at all.

Personally, if this were my movie, I would have rewritten the end of the Academy bit altogether.  I think the writers might have missed the entire point of Kirk beating the Kobayashi Maru.  Instead of a court martial, I think I would have had Kirk dressed down by an instructor, then immediately applauded by the same instructor for thinking outside the box.  If you recall, in Wrath of Kahn, Kirk mentioned he received a commendation for "original thinking" for hacking the Kobayashi Maru.

And I don't think we would want a super serious Kirk.  We want a Kirk who is still rough around the edges and still trips over his shoelaces.  But for some kid who wants revenge on the guy who killed his father, he sure did try to do everything possible to be expelled from that chance.

And I agree completely on your take with the Maru.  Again, it's JJ attempting to elbow us in the side and raise an eye brown and say "Eh?  Eh!  Remember that thing!"

Quote:
Somehow, I think you and I watched a totally different original series.  Kirk was a brash womanizer and he repeatedly jeopardized himself, his ship, his crew and the Prime Directive for the sake of an interesting episode.  This isn't TNG we're talking about here.

I think we did watch a different series.  Kirk had some ladies but so did TNG (heck some of them weren't even real - creepy).  Also, I know you are being facetious with "this isn't TNG" but Kirk and Picard both jeopardized each other by always being on the away team.  Both crews struggled with the Prime Directive (not as poorly as Voyager pounded it from behind without lube).  But I think you are looking at the parodies and tropes of TOS and making them standard episode plot points.  I'm not saying TOS is perfect, nor TNG is bad.  Heck, the only series I can never defend is Voyager.  But it's not as bad as you seem to recall.

Quote:
I must totally disagree with your take on Spock, though.  The entire movie dealt with his struggle between his human and Vulcan lineage.  I felt the movie was very much a "coming of age" for Spock and I think it added a much-needed dose of character development to the film.  I fully expect to see a much more Spock-like Spock in the next movie.  Personally, I thought the admission of Sarek about his love for Amanda Grayson and the tragedy of her loss was particularly moving.  Hell, I thought it was one of the finest moments in the entire film!

Spock didn't struggle with his Vulcan/humanity.  He faked his Vulcan side to hide his humanity.  And it wasn't until broken Spock could be taken care of by his woman (what chick doesn't love broken guys?) that he's able to be himself.  Let me just say that I was the most happy about Zachary Quinto being cast as Spock.  His work in "Heroes" showed off his great potential for playing the beloved, green blooded Vulcan.

I know you could hit me with the "only 2 hours" thing again.  However, in TOS Spock was introduced to us just as he was.  We knew what kind of character he was because Nemoy did an excellent job.  You could have done a flashback and heck, even referenced the Animated Series which would have won me over for that sole reason (seriously, the Spock episode is a must watch).  But all that aside, I wanted to see a friendship formed.  I saw R2D2 in a pile of debris instead.

Quote:
Besides, there are plenty of way to play this into Scotty's favor moving forward, as he can now spend the time that was devoted to this invention to other discoveries.

Or we can just keep bringing people from the real universe to give him what he would discover and make him a lazy non-essential.  I think it would have been more fun with Old Spock would have said something like "maybe look at how the delithium crystals are aligned".  And then have Scotty go on "A Beautiful Mind" type epiphany with techno-bable and everything.  Push him in that direction, but don't just give him the finished product of HIS hard work.

Quote:
Again, these guys have been capable of interstellar travel for 3,000 years, so I fail to believe they would have much trouble dealing with one crufty old mining ship, even if it is full of special "black hole juice".

And you can't tell me that Romulus didn't want to use this tech for wiping out planets.  These things are The Death Star if you can have some defense ships in escort.  Take those puppies to Earth, Romulans!  You'd win for sure.

Quote:
Again, his discussion with Sarek toward the end of the movie is a brilliant piece of dialogue.  It shows the audience that Spock isn't some kind of automaton that is incapable of emotion, and it really demonstrates the immensity of the statement that Vulcans can feel emotions at a much deeper level than their human counterparts.

And depicting him as an automaton would have been horrible because he is not that.  When Spock in TOS thought he killed his captain he attempted to maintain composure and when Kirk revealed himself as alive, we saw the Vulcan retreat and the humanity break free, but it was quickly replaced.  That was a beautiful scene in TOS.  In the movie, I just imagine U'hurah's jumper just being all snotty with Spock's hissy fit boogers.

Quote:
I see we've already invoked Godwin's law.  ;p

So if you wound up in a different universe, you wouldn't kill Hitler?  Sure, it's not going to change things in the universe you came from, but you can't change things there, so why not do what you can here?

I think Nero's basic premise was understandable.  His little girl and his entire planet died and he believed the Vulcan's were responsible for it.  Why wouldn't he want to exact vengeance upon them?  If anything, I think the biggest complaint that could be levied against this part of the storyline is that it's ridiculously cliché.  Seriously, this is a plot that is older than dirt.

Hey, what's a debate without a Hitler reference.  I could use Pearl Harbor attack if that helps.  And no, I wouldn't help next door's universe because I'm out for revenge on the Japanese fleet and this isn't the Japanese fleet that attacks MY base.  This is a different timeline where Michael Jackson remained black his entire life.

Also, for Nero it's not about helping this universe.  It's about getting revenge.  To kill Vulcan here leaves "the real universe" (as I call it) with a happy Vulcan planet who is now free from Romulas and can Fawn Par in peace.

And for a plot point that is cliché, JJ ruins it by placing it in another universe.

I don't know if you guys watched the TV show Eureka.  But the show eventually followed some characters from the main group to an alternative timeline.  One of the characters had a special needs son and newly born baby girl in the original timeline.

Well the characters get moved to this alt. version and never go back to their original.  In this new one, her kid isn't special needs anymore and her baby is now aged by about 2-3 years.

However!  No one ever talks about leaving a special needs kid and newborn baby alone for the rest of their lives in the original universe.  The writers wanted to change some things up and said "F it" to the original timeline and wanted you to only care about the new one...although they got to use the transfer from one timeline to the other as a plot point a few times.

This tells me that the mother character didn't really care about her real children and boy, thank goodness her kid isn't retarded any more and she doesn't have to change poopy diapers...she got to miss all that!

That's what this Star Trek universe reminds me of.

X

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #374 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
The final book of the Wheel of Time came out on electronic devices (its been out in hard copy for a couple months now) this past Tuesday.

I wasn't sure if any of you had kept up on reading the series, I know Briney was at one point.

I personally have been reading them since I was 16 and am sort of bittersweet to see them end.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 35
Send TopicPrint