Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 450322 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Geek News
Reply #375 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
It's about damn time!

-b0b
(...can finally start reading the series, and might finish before retirement.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #376 - Apr 14th, 2013 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Oh i was on each one when they came out in hardcover. It was incredibly bittersweet to see it end, but I think Brandon Sanderson did an excellent job bringing things together. I know I wouldn't have wanted the job. Lots of fun suprises. I just finished his Mistborn series and I quite enjoyed it, so you guys should check it out. Also Name of the Wind is a great start to a trilogy which I've read two of the books, I recommend those as well. Both series have very well thought out systems of magic.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #377 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 12:00am
Print Post  
Brandon Sanderson did a great job on Towers of Midnight, and I was curious to see how he would handle the last book as he had already admitted that Jordan had basically finished writing the end of the series word for word years before he died.

So in essence, he had to write the "in between" sections.  Imagine having to write only the Two Towers haha.

Mistborn has been on my list of books for years now and I keep putting it off.  I just finished up The Farseer Trilogy and the stand alone series that followed it The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb.  Both decent series.

Name of the Wind and Wise Mans Fears were good books, although I wasn't as much a fan of the second book!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #378 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 12:32am
Print Post  
I can agree a bit on the second book of name of the wind, but hopefully he brings it full circle. I will check out Farseer.

As far as the Wheel of Time ending, Jordan actually only had the final chapter written. Everything else was written out sort of in outliner form and in notes to himself. So Brandon really had to dig into Jordan's head a bit to tie everything together.  I'm not sure if he will ever reveal everything he had to fill in himself, and I hope he doesn't.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #379 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
I just finished watching Syfy's new show Defiance.  I must say I was slightly disappointed.  I expected much more lovable characters from the sci-fi legend that is Rockne S. O'bannon.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #380 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Just for Briney:

Quote:
'Independence Day 2' gets a release date

Long-awaited sequel set to hit theaters on July 3, 2015

By HitFix StaffThursday, Jun 20, 2013 8:46 PM

"Independence Day 2" is officially a thing.

The sequel to the 1996 sci-fi blockbuster has been slated for release on July 3, 2015, as revealed today by 20th Century Fox. While none of the original cast - including Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman - is yet on board for the long-awaited follow-up, Roland Emmerich is returning as director/producer. The only other film slated for that July 4th weekend so far is Universal's animated "3D Untitled Illumination Entertainment 2015 Project."

"Independence Day" grossed over $800 million worldwide and was the No. 1 box-office hit of the year.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/news/independence-day-2-gets-release-date#wOJ5fTeSfDFiHOAL...

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #381 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I been sayin it. I been sayin it for ten dang years, Ain't I been sayin it?

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #382 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Quote:
Long-awaited sequel set to hit theaters on July 3, 2015

That seems like a missed opportunity... ;p

-b0b
(...guess that must be a Thursday.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #383 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
That's what the release date was last time.  In the movie:

July 2 - They Arrive
July 3 - They Attack
July 4 - We Fight Back!

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #384 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 11:57am
Print Post  
A sad day for us all...

Quote:
Best-selling author Tom Clancy has died at age 66

This 2010 image released by G.P. Putnam Sons shows author Tom Clancy in Huntingtown, Md. Clancy, the bestselling author of "The Hunt for Red October" and other wildly successful technological thrillers, has died. He was 66. Penguin Group (USA) said Wednesday that Clancy died Tuesday in Baltimore. The publisher did not disclose a cause of death. (AP Photo/G.P. Putnam Sons, David Burnett)

View gallery

Associated Press
HILLEL ITALIE 16 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Clancy, whose high-tech, Cold War thrillers such as "The Hunt for Red October" and "Patriot Games" made him the most widely read and influential military novelist of his time, has died. He was 66.

Penguin Group (USA) said Wednesday that Clancy had died Tuesday in Baltimore. The publisher did not disclose a cause of death.

Clancy arrived on best-seller lists in 1984 with "The Hunt for Red October." He sold the manuscript to the first publisher he tried, the Naval Institute Press, which had never bought original fiction.

A string of other best-sellers soon followed, including "Red Storm Rising," ''Patriot Games," ''The Cardinal of the Kremlin," ''Clear and Present Danger," ''The Sum of All Fears," and "Without Remorse."

Clancy had said his dream had been simply to publish a book, hopefully a good one, so that he would be in the Library of Congress catalog. Four of his books, "The Hunt for Red October," ''Patriot Games," ''Clear and Present Danger," and "the Sum of All Fears" were later made into movies, with a fifth based on his desk-jockey CIA hero, "Jack Ryan," set for release later this year.
View gallery."
FILE - In this Feb. 4, 1998 file photo, writer Tom …
FILE - In this Feb. 4, 1998 file photo, writer Tom Clancy appears at his home in Calvert County, Md. …

His 17th novel, "Command Authority," is due out that same month from G.P. Putnam's Sons.

Born in Baltimore on April 12, 1947 to a mailman and his wife, Clancy entered Loyola College as a physics major, but switched to English as a sophomore, saying later that he wasn't smart enough for the rigors of science.

Ironically, his novels carried stiff doses of scientific data and military detail.

After graduation in 1969, he married his wife Wanda and joined her family's insurance business, all the while scribbling down ideas for a novel.

In 1979, Clancy began "Patriot Games," in which he invented his hero, CIA agent Jack Ryan. In 1982, he put it aside and started "The Hunt For Red October," basing it on a real incident in November 1979, in which a Soviet missile frigate called the Storozhevoy attempted to defect.
View gallery."
This 2010 image released by G.P. Putnam Sons shows …
This 2010 image released by G.P. Putnam Sons shows author Tom Clancy in Huntingtown, Md. Clancy, the …

In real life, the ship didn't make it, but in Clancy's book, the defection is a success.

By a stroke of luck, President Reagan got "Red October" as a Christmas gift and quipped at a dinner that he was losing sleep because he couldn't put the book down — a statement Clancy later said helped put him on the New York Times best-seller list.

It led to a string of hits, both on the page and in Hollywood blockbusters. He even ventured into video games with the best-selling "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier," ''Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction" and "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent."

"He was a consummate author, creating the modern-day thriller, and was one of the most visionary storytellers of our time," Penguin Group (USA)'s executive David Shanks said in a statement Wednesday.

Clancy continued to play off — and sometimes almost anticipate — world events, as in the pre-9/11 paranoid thriller "Debt of Honor," in which a jumbo jet destroys the U.S. Capitol during a joint meeting of Congress.

The latest Jack Ryan movie, directed by Kenneth Branagh and starring Chris Pine, is set for release in the U.S. on Christmas Day. Keira Knightly plays Jack Ryan's wife and Kevin Costner plays his mentor at the CIA.

Clancy resided in rural Calvert County, Md., and in 1993 he joined a group of investors led by Baltimore attorney Peter Angelos who bought the Baltimore Orioles from businessman Eli Jacobs.

Clancy also attempted to bring a NFL team to Baltimore in 1993, but he later dropped out of the effort.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #385 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I just came here to post the same thing.  I figured he would be around for quite awhile.  What's the world going to do without Jack Ryan around to keep things running smoothly?

-b0b
(...and only a day after the government shutdown.  Conspiracy?)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #386 - Oct 2nd, 2013 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
That sucks.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #387 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
http://kotaku.com/valves-first-steam-machine-prototype-is-crazy-powerful-1441267...

Steam Machine specs.  I gotta say, until PC Gaming can figure out how to allow users to experience there games without having to buy a $1,000 dollar computer, they will never hang with Playstation and Xbox in sales.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #388 - Oct 4th, 2013 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
$1,000 my ass.  The GTX Titan is $1,000 alone.  I've been drooling over them for months!

Keep in mind that's the insanely over-built system, though.  My guess is that type of system will represent 1-2% of the install base, just like it does now on a traditional Windows-based gaming PC.  The i3-based systems with lower-end cards (which would likely be integrated into the motherboard) will likely be much more common for this type of application.

-b0b
(...wants a Titan so bad it hurts.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #389 - Oct 5th, 2013 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
I normally hate 3d movies.

But I just saw Gravity in IMAX 3d. It is a pretty amazing movie, and I recommend you all see it in the largest format possible! There is a lot of bass in the movie, because Alfonso Cuaron made the sound design as accurate as possible. You hear sound through the inside of spacesuits, by touch, because of the lack of air. So the IMAX format was very fun and vibrate-y. Anyway the film is very tense, and I found myself holding my breath a couple times. If you like space, suspense or Alfonso Cuaron (Harry potter: Azkaban, Children of Men) go see this movie!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35
Send TopicPrint