Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 166115 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #1440 - Jul 25th, 2011 at 12:56am
Print Post  
I'm sorry...I must be going crazy in my old age of 27...which side is which again?  I can't seem to keep them straight anymore.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1441 - Jul 26th, 2011 at 9:24am
Print Post  
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/26/world/europe/26police.html?_r=2&partner=MYWAY&...

Quote:
When a man dressed in a police uniform began slaughtering young people at a Norwegian summer camp last week, one of the first to be killed was a real police officer named Trond Berntsen, who for years had worked in security at the camp.

Whether Officer Berntsen tried to stop the gunman is still being debated. But facing a man carrying multiple guns and ample ammunition, there was little he could do. Like most other police officers here, he had no weapon.

By law, Norwegian police officers must have authorization from their chief to gain access to a firearm, but they have rarely needed to ask, until recently. Violent crime has been steadily increasing, jolting a society used to leaving doors unlocked and children to play without fear. Coupled with growing criticism over the police’s slow response time to the attacks and confusion about the death toll, which was lowered Monday to 76 from 93, there are growing questions about whether the police are equipped to deal with the challenges.

“Criminals are now carrying weapons, so some people now think that police officers should have weapons as well,” said Gry Jorunn Holmen, a spokeswoman for the Norwegian police union. Though she said it was too early to make any assessments, Ms. Holmen said the union had formed a commission to explore the issue. For the police, she said, “it’s getting tougher.”

Freakin Europe. This whole "disarm the good guys" schtick that is seeping its way into American lawmakers heads has got to stop.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1442 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Yeah, the whole "Stop!  Or I'll say stop again!" mentality is ridiculous.  It'd be nice if this lead to laxer gun laws that encouraged concealed carry, but we all know this will push Norway in the opposite direction.

-b0b
(...sad.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1443 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
I guess the police need to get verbal and written permission from the police chief to check out guns.  Well that beats the American saying of "when seconds matter, the police are just minutes away".  In Norway, they must be hours away.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1444 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Ronnie Bryant was vastly outnumbered.

Leaning against a wall during a recent Birmingham, Alabama, public hearing, Bryant listened to an overflow crowd pepper federal officials with concerns about businesses polluting the drinking water and causing cases of cancer.

After two hours, Bryant—a coal mine owner from Jasper—had heard enough and, in a moment being described as "right out of Atlas Shrugged,” took his turn at the microphone:

"Nearly every day without fail…men stream to these [mining] operations looking for work in Walker County. They can’t pay their mortgage. They can’t pay their car note. They can’t feed their families. They don’t have health insurance. And as I stand here today, I just…you know…what’s the use? I got a permit to open up an underground coal mine that would employ probably 125 people. They’d be paid wages from $50,000 to $150,000 a year. We would consume probably $50 million to $60 million in consumables a year, putting more men to work. And my only idea today is to go home. What’s the use? I see these guys—I see them with tears in their eyes—looking for work. And if there’s so much opposition to these guys making a living, I feel like there’s no need in me putting out the effort to provide work for them. So…basically what I’ve decided is not to open the mine. I’m just quitting. Thank you.”

From here:  http://www.theblaze.com/stories/right-out-of-atlas-shrugged-hear-an-exasperated-...

Much like 1984, Atlas Shrugged was intended to be a warning, not a roadmap.

-b0b
(...shrugs.  (Ha!  Get it?))

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1445 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Wow....

Depressing. Makes you wonder where the government gets its "jobs created" statistics...

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1446 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Wow, that is STRAIGHT from Atlas Shrugged.  I'm currently reading that book too, weird.

As I'm increasing my knowledge and leaning further into Libertarianism I figured I should read the one Ayn Rand book I haven't yet that's a staple of most Libertarians.  I really enjoyed The Fountainhead which I challenged myself to read in high school (anyone else remember reading a 5th grade reading level book in Ms. Lynn's college writing in HS?) and that was a good instrument into forming what I thought about myself and how I let what others viewed me as effect me/not effect me.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1447 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 12:12am
Print Post  
For those that ask why shouldn't gun owners register their weapons?  These people did nothing wrong!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/police-seize-guns-in-northwestern-sub...

Quote:
Police seize guns in northwestern suburbs

POLICE have vowed to "dry up the supply" of guns and ammunition in the northwestern suburbs after the past week's triple shooting that left two men dead and another in hospital.
Raids yesterday morning by detectives working in Taskforce Acer 17 netted firearms police feared could be passed to criminals.

The weapons were held legally by registered gun owners, but police intelligence revealed 20 had "connections to family or associates who were persons of interest to the Acer Taskforce team".

Officers simultaneously hit 21 properties at 8am to ensure the licence holders were complying with all conditions.

A total of 21 guns - including 15 shotguns and ammunition for an AK47 rife - were seized.

The raids came after two men - one being convicted criminal Omar Taha - were shot dead at CBD Smash Repairs in Florence St, Brunswick, on Thursday afternoon.

A third man, Ali Kassab, 25, is believed to have been shot in the arm and leg and is receiving treatment at the Royal Melbourne Hospital while under arrest and with a police guard.

All three men were known to police and it is believed the shooting happened because of a $50,000 debt.

The homicide squad and Santiago taskforce are continuing to investigate.

The licence raids yesterday - carried out by Acer Taskforce, which supports Santiago - were in Greenvale, Meadow Heights, Campbellfield, Coburg, Fawkner, Hadfield, Reservoir, Preston, Brunswick West, Altona North, Altona Meadows, Hoppers Crossing and Keilor East.

Wow, good thing I don't want to live in Australia.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1448 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Yeah, the day the government tells me they have the right to "inspect" me for "compliance" is the day I move.

-b0b
(...lame!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1449 - Sep 21st, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Here's a nifty short video (ten minutes or so) showing a dystopic American future in which the Department of Homeland Security has overtaken the country.  The good guys fight back...

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7695488&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&sho...

-b0b
(...thought the production quality was amazing.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1450 - Sep 28th, 2011 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Al Qaeda Defends US Against Conspiracy Claims

It's not often foreign leaders are chastised by al-Qaeda for going too far in their critique of the United States––but Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has somehow managed the trick. Ahmadinejad is already facing bruising attacks at home from conservative Iranian clerics and politicians on several fronts––and now al Qaeda representatives are assailing him for peddling conspiracy theories that deny the terrorist group's culpability for the Sept. 11 attacks.

According to the new issue of "Inspire" magazine––the English-language propaganda outlet put out by the group's Yemeni affiliate al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP)––Ahmadinejad insulted the terrorist group by renewing past conspiratorial claims about the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon during his speech before the United Nations last week.

"The mysterious September 11 incident" merits an investigation into possible "hidden elements involved" seeking a pretext for America's invasion of the Middle East, Ahmadinejad suggested in his Sept. 22 address to the world body––prompting an immediate walk-out by the United States and several European delegations.

And it seems that this was all a bit much for al Qaeda.

"The Iranian government has professed on the tongue of its president Ahmadinejad that it does not believe that al Qaeda was behind 9/11 but rather, the U.S. government," an article in Inspire's latest issue argued, according to ABC News' Lee Ferrin. "So we may ask the question: why would Iran ascribe to such a ridiculous belief that stands in the face of all logic and evidence?"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/al-qaeda-slams-iran-peddling-9-11-conspiracy-1...

That's it - we've officially entered bizarro world.

-b0b
(...stop the planet, I want off!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1451 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
President Obama’s Agriculture Department today announced that it will impose a new 15-cent charge on all fresh Christmas trees—the Christmas Tree Tax—to support a new Federal program to improve the image and marketing of Christmas trees.

In the Federal Register of November 8, 2011, Acting Administrator of Agricultural Marketing David R. Shipman announced that the Secretary of Agriculture will appoint a Christmas Tree Promotion Board. The purpose of the Board is to run a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” (7 CFR 1214.46(n)). And the program of “information” is to include efforts to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States” (7 CFR 1214.10).

If that's not infuriating enough, check out this doublespeak:

Quote:
Acting Administrator Shipman had the temerity to say the 15-cent mandatory Christmas tree fee "is not a tax nor does it yield revenue for the Federal government” (76 CFR 69102). The Federal government mandates that the Christmas tree sellers pay the 15-cents per tree, whether they want to or not.

Here's the mandate within the Federal Register:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-11-08/pdf/2011-28798.pdf

-b0b
(...niiiiice.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1452 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Cause this is clearly in the Constitution.

Also, the government doesn't generate any product...it consumes.  So any tax levied IS profit for them.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1453 - Nov 9th, 2011 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Well that was quick.

Quote:
Obama Administration to Delay New 15-Cent Christmas Tree Tax
  Email 184 Smaller Font Text Larger Text | Print

The U.S. Department of Agriculture is going to delay implementation and revisit a proposed new 15 cent fee on fresh-cut Christmas trees,  sources tell ABC News. The fee, requested by the National Christmas Tree Association in 2009, was first announced in the Federal Registry yesterday and has generated criticism of President Obama from conservative media outlets.

The well-trafficked Drudge Report is leading with the story, linking to a blog by David Addington, a former top aide to then-Vice President Dick Cheney, at the conservative Heritage Foundation assailing the president thus: “The economy is barely growing and nine percent of the American people have no jobs. Is a new tax on Christmas trees the best President Obama can do? And, by the way, the American Christmas tree has a great image that doesn’t need any help from the government.”

The National Christmas Tree Association says the fee would fund a program “designed to benefit the industry and will be funded by the growers” and is “not expected to have any impact on the final price consumers pay for their Christmas tree.” According to the Federal Registry, the proposed Christmas Tree Promotion Board, which would be funded by the new fee, would launch a “program of promotion, research, evaluation, and information designed to strengthen the Christmas tree industry’s position in the marketplace; maintain and expend existing markets for Christmas trees; and to carry out programs, plans, and projects designed to provide maximum benefits to the Christmas tree industry” and to “enhance the image of Christmas trees and the Christmas tree industry in the United States.”

White House spokesman Matt Lehrich told ABC News that despite some media coverage, “I can tell you unequivocally that the Obama Administration is not taxing Christmas trees. What’s being talked about here is an industry group deciding to impose fees on itself to fund a promotional campaign, similar to how the dairy producers have created the ‘Got Milk?’ campaign.”

Nonetheless, the criticisms have apparently had an impact as the program is now being delayed.

“USDA is going to delay implementation and revisit this action,” Lehrich said.

Bah, humbug?

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1454 - Nov 10th, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Wow, check out that backpedaling!

I'll give a Benjamin to the first person that can find the "Got Milk?" campaign in the Federal Register.

-b0b
(...lol.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 102
Send TopicPrint