Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Cry freedom! (Read 165524 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Cry freedom!
Reply #1470 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
A yottabyte would be equivalent to 250 trillion DVDs.

I'm almost there!

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1471 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Patrick's living room in a year or 2:

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1472 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 1:39am
Print Post  
picture did not show

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1473 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Here is Briney's pic:

That is one of the most amazing video game collections I've ever seen.  Many of the platforms can be recognized by the packaging.  There are some interesting modded consoles on the back shelf, too, including a white N64, a yellow GameCube, and a green PS1.

-b0b
(...neat!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1474 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 9:03am
Print Post  
Quote:
Gun-shy TSA gets critic booted from Congressional panel

Bruce Schneier, the security expert who coined the term "security theater" to describe the Transportation Security Agency's airport screening procedures, was uninvited from speaking on a Monday Congressional panel at the insistence of the TSA.

In a blog post, Schneier reports that he had been officially scheduled to appear at a hearing sponsored by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, but received word on Friday that he had been removed from the witness list.

"The excuse was that I am involved in a lawsuit against the TSA, trying to get them to suspend their full-body scanner program," Schneier wrote. "But it's pretty clear that the TSA is afraid of public testimony on the topic, and especially of being challenged in front of Congress."

More here:  http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/03/gunshy-tsa-gets-critic-booted-fr...

For those who aren't familiar with Mr. Schneier, he's a cryptography expert by trade and has written the foremost academic text on the subject, Applied Cryptography.  I sincerely hope the story of this "disinvitation" is widely spread and gets some attention from chairman Issa.

I guess the thing that really irritates me is that a government agency is forcing the hand of a congressional committee.  That's not how it's supposed to work.  If I ran the committee, I'd never consider dropping Schneier, and if the TSA had a problem with it and wanted to withdraw, I'd subpoena the entire administrative staff if I had to.

-b0b
(...TSA wins again.  Weeee.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1475 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Doesn't the Congress want to appear at least a little competent and have at least a little bit of both sides arguing.  You don't see the Supreme Court just inviting the govt. side into the health care debate.  You don't see police setting policy based on only one criminal theory.

This is why their approval rating's at 12%.  How can an executive agency tell the legislative agency what to do?!  Why does Congress want to give up their power?!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1476 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
My guess is that Issa is trying to avoid an Executive Powers debate.  If he subpoenaed TSA, they could easily drop the Executive Powers card and go silent.  I really don't see how that could be a problem, though, since they're effectively running the show at this point and saying nothing beyond their carefully scripted responses.

-b0b
(...lives in bizarro world, apparently.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1477 - Apr 1st, 2012 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
Businesses face lawsuit fears as feds mandate 'service' horses be allowed in stores, restaurants

A horse is a horse, of course.

That's why business owners are getting nervous about a new federal regulation requiring a particular breed of horse to be allowed into shops and restaurants across the country.

The Justice Department regulations were tailored for so-called "service" horses -- miniature horses that, like service dogs, accompany the blind and others with disabilities to help them get around.

But the rules were a lawsuit waiting to happen, according to critics. And sure enough, a suit was filed earlier this month in Los Angeles, by a man who uses a wheelchair and keeps a miniature horse named Princess -- and who claims a local GameStop and Marshalls refused him and his horse service.

More here:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/29/businesses-face-lawsuit-fears-as-feds...

If I ever go blind and simultaneously win a hojillion dollars, I'm going to pay someone to train a war elephant as my service animal.  Then I'm going to take a tour of the Capitol.  Perhaps the Justice Department would realize the error of their ways when Sir Stomps-a-lot accidentally craps in one of their cubicles.

-b0b
(...derp.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1478 - Apr 3rd, 2012 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Trolling Could Get You 25 Years in Jail in Arizona

One of the Internet's basic tenets—the right to be as much of a myopic, infantile asshat as humanly possible—is currently under attack in Arizona. A sweeping update to the state's telecommunications harrasment bill could make naughty, angry words a Class 1 misdemeanor. Or worse.

It's a dangerous precedent, yet another bill written and supported by legislators who fundamentally don't understand the nature of the internet. And I'm not just being a, well, you know.

Arizona House Bill 2549 passed both legislative houses last Thursday and is now awaiting approval from Arizona's governor Brewer. The statute states that:

"It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person."

More here:  http://gizmodo.com/5898585/itll-soon-be-illegal-to-troll-in-arizona

Another incredibly poorly written cyber-crime law.  Good job, Arizona!  Why don't you just bite the bullet and ban the Interwebs altogether?

-b0b
(.../dumb.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1479 - Apr 4th, 2012 at 7:34am
Print Post  
They, of course, don't mean themselves with this law though!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1480 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Egan-Jones Cuts US Credit Rating to 'AA,' Citing Debt

Rating firm Egan-Jones cuts its credit rating on the U.S. government to "AA" from "AA+" with a negative watch, citing a lack of progress in cutting the mounting federal debt.

More here:  http://www.cnbc.com/id/46970602/Egan_Jones_Cuts_US_Credit_Rating_to_AA_Citing_De...

It looks like we're going to need some more hope and change to dig ourselves out of this one!

-b0b
(...wonders if this will become an election-year political football?)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #1481 - Apr 11th, 2012 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
The football this year will be the fact that the US is going to hit its debt ceiling again this September, right before the election. And we all know what a zoo that was last year! 16 trillion in debt here we come!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #1482 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 8:13am
Print Post  
And we all know how to fix the debt.  Tax those freeloaders making less than $18k single or $23k married!  They are all driving around in their solid gold cars and whatnot while I pay taxes.

...too much fox news there or not enough?

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1483 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Hey Fox News, I found your next car!

-b0b
(...could see Spanky rocking out in that.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #1484 - Apr 12th, 2012 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
The thing almost rolled after taking a slight left!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 102
Send TopicPrint